Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Just received VH goalie skates.  The model with a Bauer cowling.

I was 3D scanned for the fitting (via ipad) and the skates were baked once.

I decided to try the skates without my superfeet yellows.  I skated in a practice for and 90 minutes.

The issue I had was the top edge of the boot slicing into my leg everytime I went in a butterfly or pushed side to side.

This is the top of the boot above the inside ankles.  I think the inside area curves in a bit too much and digs into my skin- the composite material is so so sharp.

Or I could be over pronating and I should throw in my yellow super feet.  Anyone else have this issue?  

I am sorta baffled there is not a cushy comfort ring over the rim of this top boot area.    Everything fits amazing except that area.  I guess I have large calfs.

I just hope I can heat gun it and bend it out slightly or else I am going to have to wear a wrist band around my ankle or by some gel pads.

23 minutes ago, Joeysallamander said:

I decided to try the skates without my superfeet yellows.  I skated in a practice for and 90 minutes.

The issue I had was the top edge of the boot slicing into my leg everytime I went in a butterfly or pushed side to side.

This is the top of the boot above the inside ankles.  I think the inside area curves in a bit too much and digs into my skin- the composite material is so so sharp.

Or I could be over pronating and I should throw in my yellow super feet.  Anyone else have this issue?  

I am sorta baffled there is not a cushy comfort ring over the rim of this top boot area.    Everything fits amazing except that area.  I guess I have large calfs.

I just hope I can heat gun it and bend it out slightly or else I am going to have to wear a wrist band around my ankle or by some gel pads.

I didn't have this issue with mine at all. I'm sure it could definitely be heated and bend it out a bit. Otherwise I'd contact Rob (or your rep?) and see what they think. 

3 hours ago, Joeysallamander said:

If I'm following right, it sounds like it's the inside top of the boot digging into the outside (lateral) of your ankle (rather than the medial, which would be the inside of your ankle, closest to the other leg). I had that issue in my MLX (not exactly the same boot, but a sibling to the VH) where it would dig into the outside of my leg especially on starting or accelerating forward strides. Just a page back, I detailed my solution based on adapting SVH's demonstration on molding a short track boot to accommodate the full short track stride. This allows me to get the ankle aversion necessary for a good push without the skate cutting of the flexion of the muscles that enable that position.

29 minutes ago, flip12 said:

If I'm following right, it sounds like it's the inside top of the boot digging into the outside (lateral) of your ankle (rather than the medial, which would be the inside of your ankle, closest to the other leg). I had that issue in my MLX (not exactly the same boot, but a sibling to the VH) where it would dig into the outside of my leg especially on starting or accelerating forward strides. Just a page back, I detailed my solution based on adapting SVH's demonstration on molding a short track boot to accommodate the full short track stride. This allows me to get the ankle aversion necessary for a good push without the skate cutting of the flexion of the muscles that enable that position.

I read it as medial side, but the same theory applies. Heat it up and curve it out. 

13 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I read it as medial side, but the same theory applies. Heat it up and curve it out. 

I did too, but I pictured it as lateral. I confess, I don't know what it is exactly you goalies do, but I couldn't model it in my head as medial. That would be the opposite motion and pushing with the outside edge, aka, cross-over territory. Agreed, it's the same either way: bake the range of motion into the skate and it shouldn't be a problem anymore, regardless of which side it's happening on.

Edited by flip12

On 11/29/2016 at 2:54 PM, FivehoIe said:

All - I've had my VH skates now since Mid August and have skated probably 60-70 times in them.  For background I played Jr hockey and D-3 in college.   I've had flat feet which have caused problems my whole life and these are the first no pain skate I have ever had(I use the CCM red footbeds).  

My Question is for anyone else here who has the skates - I find that if I do not skip the 2nd eyelets they simply are restrictive to my deep knee bend(I'm a very good low skater).  I literally cannot lace them up the "normal" way, is it possible my tracing were done incorrectly?  My next issue is that even when I use howie's wax laces, I find that my skates loosen up and I have to re-tie 3 times/game and I never had to do that with my Graf 703's or my old Bauer's.

Any input would be much appreciated!!

For some reason, I had less forward flex on my left skate. So I re-baked it and after tying my skate, I flexed forward so my knee was even with the toe of the skate like they explain in the video. Maybe you could flex a bit more forward for your particular case but I wouldn't over-do it. But here's the key to the process: while you're flexing forward, push into the boot on the back of the skate right beside the achilles tendon on both sides above the heel. That will help to fill the space behind your ankle to maintain more support when you're flexed forward. It's pretty much what he's doing from 3:00 to 3:25 of this video. I was alone so I just used my thumbs and fingers to push while the skate was still warm. I also recommend that you bake one skate at a time so each skate gets your full attention.

Edited by Larry54

On 11/29/2016 at 3:20 PM, FivehoIe said:

I like the support up high on my ankle, boots feel to "short" if I skip the top one, hence why I skip #2 instead.  It actually gives me more room to bend w/o being restrictive.   As for my lacing style I prefer to tie really tight up until mid ankle and loosen up as I get closer to the top.  

I also like my skates laced like what's bolded. After you try my tip above for baking, when you go skating you can try this simple lacing technique. I start by lacing the typical way from in to out until the top 3 eyelets where I switch to lacing from out to in. I have small skates with 9 eyelets so it might be the top 4 eyelets for bigger skates with 10 eyelets, and you can experiment for what feels better to you. I've discovered that this creates a sort of lace lock where the lacing pattern switches. The laces stay tight below the switch and tightest at the switch promoting good heel lock, and I lace them progressively looser above that point to allow forward flex. I also use Elite Premium unwaxed laces. They have virtually zero stretch compared to regular waxed or unwaxed laces so they stay tight. I hope these tips will help.

Edited by Larry54

5 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You mean these ones?? 

I guess so. For some reason, I don't remember seeing the custom color on Hull's skates when I noticed the skates around the ceremonial face-off. I must be getting old. :laugh: Is that the silver option or is it grey like on my pair?

Here's the full version of the above photo. It's a nice action shot especially for an alumni game.

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/285213770/1024x576/cut.jpg

Edited by Larry54

It was funny listening to Gretzky talk this morning. He said in his playing days he wore skates that were too small in which he could barely walk but was able to skate well in. Now he has skates that are very comfortable but he can't skate anymore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

That was Kane for a game.

Take a look at the holders in the pic that @larry54 posted of Gretzky... It's possible that I'm wrong but it looks like the Step/VH holder from the cutouts on the holder and the screw in the back. 

Let me know what you think.

Edited by vsawchuk
wrong link

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

It was funny listening to Gretzky talk this morning. He said in his playing days he wore skates that were too small in which he could barely walk but was able to skate well in. Now he has skates that are very comfortable but he can't skate anymore.

So he was saying the skates make him a bad player now? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

So he was saying the skates make him a bad player now? 

56 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Hmm I read that more like "I wish I'd had skates this comfortable back then"

Yeah, I take it as him saying that he is pushing 60 and wishes these kind of skates were available to him in his prime when he "could skate."

• Like 2