Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

1 hour ago, 218hockey said:

I never noticed that. So they just ignore the exchange rate? Or it's a Canadian discount?

It's been noticed before in this thread: 

The discussion continues for a bit around that post.

I'm having a hard time understanding it, to be honest. The most logical thing to do is level-set the price around USD, and drop the price by about 10%... Then everyone pays the same.

5 hours ago, Pez68 said:

I'm having a hard time understanding it, to be honest. The most logical thing to do is level-set the price around USD, and drop the price by about 10%... Then everyone pays the same.

If they did that, U.S. customers would be paying 10% less than they were 3.5 years ago, and Canadians would be paying 15% more than they did 3.5 years ago when the skates came out and when the dollars were at parity.

As it is now, you're paying the same price that you were 3.5 years ago for a skate whose model has been continuously upgraded over that time, and shipping is now free (and the price hasn't gone up due to inflation, either). And Canadians are also paying the same price they were 3.5 years ago but still have to pay shipping and GST. So what's the problem? You're sad because Canadians aren't paying 25% more than you? And you're now getting free shipping to boot!

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

If they did that, U.S. customers would be paying 10% less than they were 3.5 years ago, and Canadians would be paying 15% more than they did 3.5 years ago when the skates came out and when the dollars were at parity.

As it is now, you're paying the same price that you were 3.5 years ago for a skate whose model has been continuously upgraded over that time, and shipping is now free (and the price hasn't gone up due to inflation, either). And Canadians are also paying the same price they were 3.5 years ago but still have to pay shipping and GST. So what's the problem? You're sad because Canadians aren't paying 25% more than you? And you're now getting free shipping to boot!

I'm sorry, but how does any of that matter to me? I've never purchased these skates before. What matters to me is, I can have a relative in Canada buy the skates for me, and save $150... That makes no sense. Nothing matters to me but the price difference between a US citizen and a Canadian citizen.

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I have found that when the Canadian dollar was on par or better (it hardly ever is) we never seemed to get any benefit from that in Canada.

That's all I got!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smu said:

I have found that when the Canadian dollar was on par or better (it hardly ever is) we never seemed to get any benefit from that in Canada.

That's all I got!

Exactly! Even when the Canadian dollar was equal to the U.S. dollar, hockey equipment that was made in Canada at that time was sold at a higher price in Canada than in the U.S. because they went by what the market can bear. It's refreshing to see a Canadian manufacturer not exploit this.

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Pez68 said:

I'm sorry, but how does any of that matter to me? I've never purchased these skates before. What matters to me is, I can have a relative in Canada buy the skates for me, and save $150... That makes no sense. Nothing matters to me but the price difference between a US citizen and a Canadian citizen.

Then stop bitching about it and go ahead and do it. I won't stop you.

Country specific pricing is nothing new. Just pick up any book and look at the back cover to see that Canadians pay more regardless of exchange rate. This is the case for electronics as well. 

You don't have to like it, or agree, but VH isn't doing anything unusual here. 

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

Country specific pricing is nothing new. Just pick up any book and look at the back cover to see that Canadians pay more regardless of exchange rate. This is the case for electronics as well. 

You don't have to like it, or agree, but VH isn't doing anything unusual here. 

Yup. On our trip to Canada we were excited to do some shopping because of the exchange rate. Until we saw how jacked up the prices were in comparison, to the point where it would have actually been cheaper to just buy it in the US. Okay then, never mind...

4 hours ago, nicker87 said:

Those look amazing! Very curious to see how that holds up vs the stuff VH uses. 

I imagine much better compared to thin jenpro

2 hours ago, seanfku said:

Anyone have any experience with the vh holder on these skates? I've read they are extremely stiff. 

Do you really mean the holder?

3 minutes ago, seanfku said:

Yes the holder guy. 

Sorry then, I have not been following this topic for awhile, I am not sure. Also, since I have not purchased yet I guess I am not in the best position to answer.

On 2/11/2017 at 10:28 AM, Chip N Chase said:

Still getting numb toes. Just tightening the first 5 or 6 eyelets snug and tightening the eyelets around ankle pretty tight. And the top couple snug. Anyone else have any tips for numb toes? Stock tongues.  Currently using both red footbed and grey insole. Any ideas would be appreciated. THanks. 

The reason I've come back to this post is because recently I was getting numbness only in my left foot despite having the skate much looser than my right skate. One day I removed the tongue and noticed that the felt edge was folded under at some places. Because of the great wrap of these skates, inserting the tongue when putting on the skates caused the edge to roll under. I guess it ended up cutting off circulation in the blood vessels on top of the foot. To fix this, after straightening out the felt edge, I used a vice to compress the felt all around the tongue so that it tapers towards the edge. That made the felt edge thinner and a bit stiffer so it's easier to insert the tongue between the foot and the eyelets when putting on the skate. Hopefully this tip will be helpful. 

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Tyson from Westside Skate and Stick in NYC here. Been following the thread for the last couple of months and thought I would offer up my expertise to anyone who is interested. We are one of the top dealers in NA so odds are that there is nothing I have not seen yet. Feel free to shoot me any questions you may have. Looking forward to them!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sk8Stk said:

Hi guys,

Tyson from Westside Skate and Stick in NYC here. Been following the thread for the last couple of months and thought I would offer up my expertise to anyone who is interested. We are one of the top dealers in NA so odds are that there is nothing I have not seen yet. Feel free to shoot me any questions you may have. Looking forward to them!

Do you do the newer fitting methods that involve scans or is it the tracing method?  I've done the tracing and it worked perfectly for my left foot but my right was a little off. 

Full disclaimer.  I did my tracings lol. 

48 minutes ago, Ps12 said:

Do you do the newer fitting methods that involve scans or is it the tracing method?  I've done the tracing and it worked perfectly for my left foot but my right was a little off. 

Full disclaimer.  I did my tracings lol. 

We have been using the scanner since August 2016. I facetime'd the guys at VH to walk me through it and calibrate everything last summer and it has been incredibly accurate for me. Customers before were happy with the traced skates, but I find the scanner has much more accuracy to it. The skates are so heat moldable though so even if your tracings at home are not perfect that will help dial it in dramatically. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sk8Stk said:

We have been using the scanner since August 2016. I facetime'd the guys at VH to walk me through it and calibrate everything last summer and it has been incredibly accurate for me. Customers before were happy with the traced skates, but I find the scanner has much more accuracy to it. The skates are so heat moldable though so even if your tracings at home are not perfect that will help dial it in dramatically. 

I'm shopping for a new pair of VH skates. I'll need to take a trip up to NYC soon.  Very interested. 

• Like 1