Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Hey all,

Have skated about 5 hours in my VH skates so far. They are BY far the most comfortable skates I have ever worn.

I just had a question for anyone who might know?

I used to skate in Bauer Supreme 70's. Does anyone know what level of pitch the VH boot has? For example, my Bauer's felt flat, while my Mako's were definitely pitched forward.

I don't have my old skates to compare to, as I tossed them. They were beyond disgusting. 

Thanks!

Edited by Jordon777

23 hours ago, Jordon777 said:

Hey all,

Have skated about 5 hours in my VH skates so far. They are BY far the most comfortable skates I have ever worn.

I used to skate in Bauer Supreme 70's. Does anyone know what level of pitch the VH boot has? For example, my Bauer's felt flat, while my Mako's were definitely pitched forward.

I don't have my old skates to compare to, as I tossed them. They were beyond disgusting. 

Thanks!

Hi,

I find the VH's are pretty neutral, more so like the stock bauer profile. Obviously what holder you have could adjust the overall pitch but the boot itself is flat. Most people coming out of a Graf or Mako with more significant forward pitch end up liking shims of either 3mm or 4mm in the heel to get you back up on to your toes. I put a 4mm polyethylene shim in my skates to get it how I like them. Hope that helps!

Tyson 

32 minutes ago, Sk8Stk said:

Hi,

I find the VH's are pretty neutral, more so like the stock bauer profile. Obviously what holder you have could adjust the overall pitch but the boot itself is flat. Most people coming out of a Graf or Mako with more significant forward pitch end up liking shims of either 3mm or 4mm in the heel to get you back up on to your toes. I put a 4mm polyethylene shim in my skates to get it how I like them. Hope that helps!

Tyson 

On 2017-04-23 at 8:02 PM, Jordon777 said:

Hey all, Have skated about 5 hours in my VH skates so far. They are BY far the most comfortable skates I have ever worn.  I just had a question for anyone who might know?  I used to skate in Bauer Supreme 70's. Does anyone know what level of pitch the VH boot has? For example, my Bauer's felt flat, while my Mako's were definitely pitched forward. I don't have my old skates to compare to, as I tossed them. They were beyond disgusting. 

The Bauer Holders are flat and do I ever need a 1/4" shim on the back heels in order to have good balance and not fall backward on my ass. Others do have more pitch and I was told that the VH is a low pitch, but Rob said he could easily build in a shim or like my old Bauer he can have it so you can remove it and size it thicker or thiner depending upon how you feel. This is the route I am going with the VH and ordering well before next season. I only hope True does not have a negative impact at that point.

On 24/04/2017 at 0:02 AM, Jordon777 said:

Hey all,

Thanks!

I didn't feel a huge change from my Vapor X90's, but I did have LS EDGE & LS2 on both which probably help the transition a little, but from supreme you MAY be a tiny bit more on your toes. YMMV

44 minutes ago, greyskull said:

I didn't feel a huge change from my Vapor X90's, but I did have LS EDGE & LS2 on both which probably help the transition a little, but from supreme you MAY be a tiny bit more on your toes. YMMV

It looks like my post got buried above. I'll keep this short regarding the need for a pitch change;  - Rob of VH said to me he could easily build a shim into the skate or have it outside so you can change it to suit your preferences.

Alan

1 hour ago, Dartguy said:

VH skates are probably the best skates i've had.  i'm experimenting with different steel tho as i find it makes a huge difference. 

Are you using Step?

17 minutes ago, BureKovy said:

Anyone using Bauer speed plate, sidas or superfeet?

I am wearing Superfeet in my Bauers, for mild over pronation and it helps.

Alan

Don't VH come with a custom molded insole that is based on the profile and shape of your foot?  Why would you need an aftermarket generic insole?

VH skates do not come with a custom molded insole. I am using Graf sidas custom foot beds and find them excellent for my high arched foot. 

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Don't VH come with a custom molded insole that is based on the profile and shape of your foot?  Why would you need an aftermarket generic insole?

They come with just regular insoles.  But the boot is custom so the support is there.  I just got them but I'm wondering if the custom insoles or superfeet would help.

3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

When I purchased mine, that was one of the features but I think they're referring to how the boot shell moulds around the high arch area. I have sidas foot beds in mine as well, it's a great combo. 

I don't think using superfeet in your VH's is a good idea unless you want to rebake the boots as well. Superfeet have a rised heel and will change the angle of how your heel sits in the boot.

Alternatively you can modify superfeet fairly easily by shaving them down or just using the arch with other foot beds. 

Edited by malcb33

I stand corrected.  Perhaps that was an old option, as I could swear the videos I've watched on the skates talk about a custom insole. 

37 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

I stand corrected.  Perhaps that was an old option, as I could swear the videos I've watched on the skates talk about a custom insole. 

Mine came witb the two piece set up yellow/black mesh pattern foam and red under liner.  I think newer ones are shipping with more traditional footbeds. 

2 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Mine came witb the two piece set up yellow/black mesh pattern foam and red under liner.  I think newer ones are shipping with more traditional footbeds. 

Bummer.  That was a major selling point for me.  Full 360 custom. 

VH skates never came with moldable  footbeds. They still come with the red liner under the insole. And the new insole is different but neither was moldable. This video shows a small degree of customizability that is possible. 

25 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Bummer.  That was a major selling point for me.  Full 360 custom. 

If the skate is 360 custom, the footbed doesn't need to be. 

I use SIDAS in mine, just because I happened to have them already. I honestly don't really care for them anyway, and they're starting to lose their padding as well. 

Sorry, maybe not being clear, although a mute point.  I thought VH offered a full 360 custom fit, by that I mean a custom spec boot and a custom insole (ex. orthotic).  Obviously I am mis-remembering/understanding the product, as the video you posted is the one I was thinking of.  I thought the yellow/black footbed was molded by VH to fit the contours of your specific foot in the event of a 3D scan fitting.  Thinking that through, it doesn't make sense, because then the product would be different for paper/pencil fittings and 3D fittings, which wouldn't be a good a business model.  Figments of my imagination.  My bad. 

I posted in error yesterday, but I still see that the topic of  insoles is still coming up. I have been told by my LHS that the new Bauer insole is a gimmick if you need pronation or supination fix. That's why I use a built up version using Superfeet in non-VH skate.

I have mentioned this before that  Rob Thompson told me that they can or will build into the VH boot the correction you need as if it is an orthotic based on your foot findings.

i hope this helps and if I am not understanding the subject I apologize.

Alan

9 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yep everything is built into the skate, which means the footbed is not at all for fit and pretty much just for comfort.

That's what I understand  from Rob, but make sure to let them know that a pronation problem does exist to make sure it is taken into consideration.