Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

16 minutes ago, kesamj said:

Seems like if you're ordering custom skates you should be able to get the holder you want. Is the Step holder the same rivet pattern as Tuuk & SB?

Will Bauer put on CCM holders if you buy custom skates from Bauer? Why would True put on Bauer holders? 

I'm not saying they are going to stop offering Tuuk as an option; I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised if they do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

Will Bauer put on CCM holders if you buy custom skates from Bauer? Why would True put on Bauer holders? 

I'm not saying they are going to stop offering Tuuk as an option; I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised if they do. 

exactly what I was going to say

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yea the step holders are super ugly. I don't know how much I care how ugly holders are but... they are. 

I think they would look fine if they get rid of these dimples in the front and back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I wonder if the big black plastic piece above the rear tower on the holder is a heel lift or if that will now be on all the skates.

Older VH had kind of "organic" look if you know what i mean with the holder flat flanges squashed against the rounded bottom of the boot. This "black plastic piece" appears to be a kind of square peg to round hole adapter most likely as an attempt to improve the look... IMO a failed attempt at that. Or perhaps this helps to automate and speed up the holder mounting process. They probably had to heat up the holders before they could crimp it like that without breaking something. Can not see on the pic how they mitigated the front "problem". Do they have a spacer there as well? Well hopefully as a next step they will make the bottom flat (ala Supertacks). Then if they loose the dimples on Step holder, we will see a skate that is much easier on the eye. Then again, this is a hockey skate, does it really need to be pretty?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kesamj said:

Seems like if you're ordering custom skates you should be able to get the holder you want. Is the Step holder the same rivet pattern as Tuuk & SB?

I just got my 2nd pair of vh skates last saturday.  Tyson at westside skate did the 3d scan for me on 5/20 and had them put on Easton CXN holders on them. I have 3 sets of black steel for the cxn so I'm invested.  

I need to look at the skates to see if the true logo is on the side.  The tendon holder says true. 

I've only skated one game in them but they feel sooooo comfortable.

if you're in the northeast definitely look up Tyson at west side skate if you want to get your feet 3d scanned for vh skates. 

just scored a pair of lightly used Alex Steen VH skates off side line swap. they're my size and width so hopefully his feet aren't drastically differently shaped than mine and they mold to my feet okay. i'm sure i can punch and manipulate if need be. couldn't beat the price

11 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Older VH had kind of "organic" look if you know what i mean with the holder flat flanges squashed against the rounded bottom of the boot. This "black plastic piece" appears to be a kind of square peg to round hole adapter most likely as an attempt to improve the look... IMO a failed attempt at that. Or perhaps this helps to automate and speed up the holder mounting process. They probably had to heat up the holders before they could crimp it like that without breaking something. Can not see on the pic how they mitigated the front "problem". Do they have a spacer there as well? Well hopefully as a next step they will make the bottom flat (ala Supertacks). Then if they loose the dimples on Step holder, we will see a skate that is much easier on the eye. Then again, this is a hockey skate, does it really need to be pretty?

As far as the heel goes, your comments may have been true about some of the first VH skates. But I don't really see that issue on my 4-year-old pair. However, if you compare the skates I got about a year ago with my 4-year-old pair, there was already a flat platform molded into the carbon fiber heel and it continued up the middle toward the toe to compensate for the space taken by the toe covering that wraps under the boot on each side.

VH2c.JPG

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 4

Good pictures. I definitely prefer the flat platform to be molded into the carbon fibre itself than to have what appears to be a plastic heel piece added. It not only looks better, but one of the benefits of the one piece boot is supposed to be a more responsive feel because you're eliminating a layer between your feet and the holder/blade.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Good pictures. I definitely prefer the flat platform to be molded into the carbon fibre itself than to have what appears to be a plastic heel piece added. It not only looks better, but one of the benefits of the one piece boot is supposed to be a more responsive feel because you're eliminating a layer between your feet and the holder/blade.

Totally agree. Unless that area has shown excessive wear, imitating the Bauer Supreme one95 heel cup only detracts from the essence of the VH->True boot. The next iteration could be spot on. But this one is too wishy-washy, lukewarm.

Edit: And the new tongue looks cheap by comparison to the old ones.

Edited by flip12
Forgot a critique.

As long as the changes don't affect the fit and performance I will still be on board. 

Can't wait to see the reviews on the new True/VH model. I believe Shoeshine Boy has the closest iteration I've seen on MSH so far but it didn't look like the new pic. 

Hopefully all is well with the new model and we can continue our love for this skate. All of the changes I see so far look to help the durability of the boot. 

As long as I can order my next pair without the steep holders I will be a happy camper!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, althoma1 said:

....but one of the benefits of the one piece boot is supposed to be a more responsive feel because you're eliminating a layer between your feet and the holder/blade.

... a theoretical claim that is hard to prove or disprove. There plenty of pro and against opinions on this. What does this mean "improves responsiveness"? And if it does, by how many percents? The fastest and most agile are not in one piece boot as of yet.

• Like 1

As someone who has had to have reconstructive foot surgery on both feet due to genetically collapsed arches, I'll definitely be looking at these for my next skates.  

8 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

... a theoretical claim that is hard to prove or disprove. There plenty of pro and against opinions on this. What does this mean "improves responsiveness"? And if it does, by how many percents? The fastest and most agile are not in one piece boot as of yet.

MacKinnon was in FT1s for a bit, but for the latest he was in 70Ks at the World Championship.

Zucker's also one of the faster skaters in the league and he stuck with VH all year last season.

I just emailed VH. They said after June 30th you'll only have the choice of the standard holder OR no holder. So I guess EVERYTHING won't remain the same. That's too bad. Unfortunately, I trust (perhaps erroneously) the 16 year old at the LHS to mount my holder correctly less than VH.

Edited by AfftonDad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AfftonDad said:

I just emailed VH. They said after June 30th you'll only have the choice of the standard holder OR no holder. So I guess EVERYTHING won't remain the same. That's too bad. Unfortunately, I trust (perhaps erroneously) the 16 year old at the LHS to mount my holder correctly less than VH.

Are the hole patterns for the True holder the same as Tuuk LS, CCM, etc?  

Yes, if they want to establish themselves as a major brand, they have to go with their own holder. Selling you VH holders as part of the package is another $100 to their revenue. Selling you Bauer holders is $100 in direct competitors pocket. They are nice enough offer you just boots even though selling you complete skates would have help them more. We also can not expect VH to remain the same as before, they will change a lot little by little. As demand grows, they will need to crank them skates out the door at a much higher pace which will require some streamlining. So I think the next thing that will be going, is the ability of you sending them your old pair of Levis for a custom trim options.

Up in Canada I can't see them selling it for $699 for customs with step steel.  The top of the line skates (bauer line, CCM) all go for $999 plus another ~$100 if you wanted to go custom.  $699 vs. $1099, they could gain a big market share but just under cutting a bit but thats 2/3rds the cost.  I do see that happening if you wanted stock boots with standard holder and steel.

Correct me if I am wrong about the numbers, anything could happen really though.

On 6/22/2017 at 5:17 PM, AfftonDad said:

Unfortunately, I trust (perhaps erroneously) the 16 year old at the LHS to mount my holder correctly less than VH.

We don't allow 16 year olds in the booth.

• Like 4