Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

True uploaded a series of videos to YouTube with Scott Van Horne showing off the skates and adjustment techniques, etc and showed how the tendon guard is affixed with a copper rivet, how to remove and replace the tendon guard if necessary.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, syinx said:

And it lost the "small shop handmade-look" charm for me, now.

I assumed that would go out the window, but the level of polish I expected instead is nowhere to be seen.

Edited by flip12

8 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I assumed that would go out the window, but the level of polish I expected instead is nowhere to be seen.

I think it looks fairly decent, other than the True holder, which you can opt out on. Slap a LS Edge on it and I think it's much better looks wise. 

5 hours ago, t1tan said:

If I can skate pain free(hopefully) I don't care what they look like 

This. Exactly why I was able to tolerate the original Mako that looked ridiculous. 

I'm glad they didn't stick with the blue outline on the tendon guard. That looked awful.

I do agree that something about them actually looks worse somehow. I think its the upper ankle area. It just looks like they glued on some jenpro or something. 

• Like 1

IMO Looks unbalanced. Huge top tapers down to a dress shoe toe. VH never was an easy on the eye skate, but this one is pretty off putting. The vulcanized rubber look is not my cup of tee, neither is the shiny fiberglass hardhat looking heel. Is this a hinged top for forward flex kind of design? That rear view reminds me an actual skiboot sonehow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, t1tan said:

If I can skate pain free(hopefully) I don't care what they look like 

I'm with you personally, but the fact is it is a design product so on that plane it is necessary to discuss concept, fit and finish, etc. And plenty of shallower buyers will be swayed by looks alone.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, flip12 said:

I'm with you personally, but the fact is it is a design product so on that plane it is necessary to discuss concept, fit and finish, etc. And plenty of shallower buyers will be swayed by looks alone.

Couldn't agree more. As VH and now potentially True consumers we want everything to be on point so the product sells well and stays on the fickle hockey market as long as possible. This will enable us to purchase for fit every time we are in need of skates. Unfortunately we are at the will of the market and if they don't get enough new customers coming in, our beloved skate is doomed. Hopefully True takes some pointers on the feedback they get from sites like this and makes adjustments as needed. Also, if True makes this a home run it may push the market to go in the custom fit direction (at least for top end skates). 

• Like 1

I emailed them a couple of days ago to check if the new skates would only be available from a True Fitting Center. They confirmed to me that the "old" tracing method would still be available.

• Like 1

That actually looks really good. Well done, True! 

13 minutes ago, shoeshine boy said:

wow. I guess my gf has a "limited edition" rare model. :)

Hah, maybe they heard too many people saying it was ugly?

I like it a lot. I think is looks fantastic and very smooth and understated. Now just have to convince my wife after I just purchased Nexus 9000's back in February. 

Overall, I like the look of the boot, footbed and liner, however; I'm still not a fan of the plastic heel cup (although maybe a good explanation of the functional reasons for that change would sway me) or the aesthetics of the holder (too many partial cut outs).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Overall, I like the look of the boot, footbed and liner, however; I'm still not a fan of the plastic heel cup (although maybe a good explanation of the functional reasons for that change would sway me) or the aesthetics of the holder (too many partial cut outs).

I agree with about the holder, as that is the only thing I dislike about the whole skate. I would be swapping them out with Edge holders as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, proth0303 said:

I'm actually liking the subtle design changes from VH to True.  Not a big fan of the VH holder but that's easily resolved with a Tuuk holder instead. 

Pretty much I view these new boots.