Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

10 hours ago, t1tan said:

For those curious, True lists which retailers will be custom skate fit centers in their store finder.

A heads up would be a lot of those retailers have no idea when their True stuff will actually arrive.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Bauer's.  What it accomplishes in a retail setting is pretty crazy, and has the capability to do more with the results.

Sorry, I should've isolated that quote.

Do you think it will basically replace skate fitters? That the machine will do a good enough/better job than a semi-knowledgeable skate fitters? 

my first thought when I heard about the 3D scanner from Bauer, is why wouldn't players just use it and go the full custom route since they're already dropping a grand on skates (at least in canada) might as well get everything you want added to them at that cost, including liner and tongues etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hills said:

That the machine will do a good enough/better job than a semi-knowledgeable skate fitters? 

IMO, yes. 

This will provide them with a much more solid base to start the process, which with average fitters, is where they fail. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, adam14 said:

my first thought when I heard about the 3D scanner from Bauer, is why wouldn't players just use it and go the full custom route since they're already dropping a grand on skates (at least in canada) might as well get everything you want added to them at that cost, including liner and tongues etc

We’ll have to most likely move this discussion soon, but when it rolls out, a custom skate fitter can contact them to reference the 3D scan done in the store for the fit but will still have to fill out the normal spec sheet for now. 

How much more beneficial do you think the VH/TRUE scanner is compared to using their instructional YouTube videos to measure and fit your foot? Do you think the customization would be that much more detailed?

Edited by calby8

In my opinion, I think it would be much more beneficial to get the 3-D scan. When I did my drawings for my pair of VH's I must have done them three or four times and was nervous about weather or not I did it right. I think they still do the pencil (not 100% positive) measurements, I would be a lot more certain that the specs come back correctly with the 3-D scan and I think the fitter could help identify problem areas on the foot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calby8 said:

How much more beneficial do you think the VH/TRUE scanner is compared to using their instructional YouTube videos to measure and fit your foot? Do you think the customization would be that much more detailed?

I completely agree with adams. I don't have VH/TRUE skates, but if I ever go that route I'd definitely go to one of the fit centers. If you have a fit centre with the VH/TRUE scanner anywhere near you and want to order custom VH/TRUE skates then it's a no brainer to go through them as there's no extra cost and you're more likely to get better results. The scan just gives them more data to work with and you also have access to a professional fitter.

• Like 2

I'm 100% happy with my VH as far as fit and such, but... why not add more data points? I can't imagine actually getting an even better fit, but it sure can't hurt. 

That said, if you don't have access to a fit centre, it's not the end of the world. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, calby8 said:

13 hours ago, adams2001 said:

In my opinion, I think it would be much more beneficial to get the 3-D scan. When I did my drawings for my pair of VH's I must have done them three or four times and was nervous about weather or not I did it right. I think they still do the pencil (not 100% positive) measurements, I would be a lot more certain that the specs come back correctly with the 3-D scan and I think the fitter could help identify problem areas on the foot. 

12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm 100% happy with my VH as far as fit and such, but... why not add more data points? I can't imagine actually getting an even better fit, but it sure can't hurt. 

That said, if you don't have access to a fit centre, it's not the end of the world. 

They still do the "DIY Pencil Tracings" as before. I confirmed this via email a couple of weeks ago.

I was also quite nervous when I did my tracings at home, and redid them quite a few times. However, as I live in Sweden I really didn't have an alternative as there is only one fitting center, which is no where close to where I live. Luckily, I couldn't be happier with the result. Once baked the skates fit like a dream. However, I agree with IPv6Freely, the more data points the better. Once it's time for a new pair there will hopefully be a fitting center closer to me. But if there isn't I won't be afraid of using the pencil tracings again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

My feelings exactly, I just ordered my second pair of VH (now True). I don't have a fit center but I can't really imagine them fitting any better. I didn't even re-trace. I asked them if they still had the stuff from last time on file and they said yes so I said make them the same as last time. However, this time I had them build a +3 forward pitch into them to make up for the Mako holders I had on my last pair (using Bauer Edge this time). I had the skates made without holders and had the Bauer holders shipped to them from a Canadian LHS for VH to mount.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AfftonDad said:

My feelings exactly, I just ordered my second pair of VH (now True). I don't have a fit center but I can't really imagine them fitting any better. I didn't even re-trace. I asked them if they still had the stuff from last time on file and they said yes so I said make them the same as last time. However, this time I had them build a +3 forward pitch into them to make up for the Mako holders I had on my last pair (using Bauer Edge this time). I had the skates made without holders and had the Bauer holders shipped to them from a Canadian LHS for VH to mount.

Yea, I probably wouldn't bother if they still have my current tracings. After going through as many pairs of skates as I did before finding VH trying to skate without pain, the idea of changing anything at this point terrifies me, even though I know it SHOULD actually be an even better fit. Very hesitant to change anything at this point. 

4 hours ago, AfftonDad said:

Glad to hear you can ship them the Bauer holders and they will mount them for you and even the forward pitch. Up until now I assumed a LHS would have to do it, but after spending the money on the boot the thought of my LHS putting on the finishing touches doesn't sit well. I hope they continue to to offer that option.

• Like 1

Man, I was hoping to see a display skate when I stopped by Giant and Monkey today but both didn't have one.  My buddy just got one of the last VH pairs with the True tendon guard and he really likes them so far... curious to see how they hold up over the next few months.  

• Like 1

I'm super hyped to see some comments on the new skates as well. I hope the quality and comfort is the same. 

When I stopped by Peranis a week ago, they had no display skates and no idea of the way they were going to fit and sell the skates. 

It suggested to me that it is going to take some time before true properly rolls out this skate. To me, I kind of expected it with the way the ordering process works and the complications involved of teaching the industry a new way to buy a top end skate. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Totally agree! As Mako fans, this is the skate we've been looking for.

I already wear VH goalie skates but they have cowlings. Player skates are Mako though. 

34 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Totally agree! As Mako fans, this is the skate we've been looking for.

Were you in Makos before? At SummerJam it looked like you were in 1x skates and skating quite well in them. Did the Makos just wear out and you couldn't find another set in your size so you grabbed the Vapors?

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I already wear VH goalie skates but they have cowlings. Player skates are Mako though. 

Ah. I see.

57 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Were you in Makos before? At SummerJam it looked like you were in 1x skates and skating quite well in them. Did the Makos just wear out and you couldn't find another set in your size so you grabbed the Vapors?

Pretty much. I had the original Mako skates and loved them. Got rid of them only because one boot cracked and the other one wasn't too far off. I got a pair of Mako II skates in the same size and it didn't fit nearly as well. I couldn't find any Mako II's that I could work with size-wise so I went over the Bauer 1X's. I like them but like the Mako fit/performance better. The TRUE skates will be my replacement when the time comes. I was impressed with the build. And to see that more pros are wearing these skates brings some credence to point of giving them a shot.

• Like 1

I've read about the cracking problem with the original Makos, but haven't experienced that. My first converted for roller pair of OG Makos got really soft after a year of playing, has rips in the liner and the padding is compressed - I now only use those to ref recreational games on cement and have a newer conversion for playing. I've had Mako II's that I've used to ref hundreds of games over a year and have no padding or liner issues and they feel as stiff as when I got them. For me the durability on the Mako II's has been much better than the originals and I now have a small stockpile of them in my size.

With that said, when my stockpile runs out I'll definitely be looking to True first. The concept is similar and they feel much stiffer than the retail Mako II's. I have one pair of pro stock Mako II's with extra stiffness that I haven't used yet, but feel similar in stiffness to the VH/True skates on display. I asked the rep if the skates on display were extra stiff or something, but he said it they were not and did not have the stiffness of the extra shot blockers built in.

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

I've read about the cracking problem with the original Makos, but haven't experienced that. My first converted for roller pair of OG Makos got really soft after a year of playing, has rips in the liner and the padding is compressed - I now only use those to ref recreational games on cement and have a newer conversion for playing. I've had Mako II's that I've used to ref hundreds of games over a year and have no padding or liner issues and they feel as stiff as when I got them. For me the durability on the Mako II's has been much better than the originals and I now have a small stockpile of them in my size.

With that said, when my stockpile runs out I'll definitely be looking to True first. The concept is similar and they feel much stiffer than the retail Mako II's. I have one pair of pro stock Mako II's with extra stiffness that I haven't used yet, but feel similar in stiffness to the VH/True skates on display. I asked the rep if the skates on display were extra stiff or something, but he said it they were not and did not have the stiffness of the extra shot blockers built in.

Absolutely. And I was so bummed when the same size didn't work for me in the Mako II's and timing wasn't on my side.

I got all excited the other day when an email from True popped up saying some of my local "coming soon" custom fit centers were now open and ready. Called them up, nobody knew what I was talking about. :dry:

• Like 1