Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

1 hour ago, t1tan said:

I got all excited the other day when an email from True popped up saying some of my local "coming soon" custom fit centers were now open and ready. Called them up, nobody knew what I was talking about. :dry:

More than happy to assist as I have been helping set up my West Coast Dealers.

OMG I bought a stick from my LHS last Friday from the manager no less and forgot to ask the question. I had been told a few weeks ago that on site fittings were supposed to happen. I'll have to call back today.

On 7/31/2017 at 11:33 PM, Zac911 said:

More than happy to assist as I have been helping set up my West Coast Dealers.

Zac, are the skates going to be at Monkey/Giant soon?  If you are going to be stopping by one of these days, I'd love to come check them out :)

The new True make looks more and more RoboCop 2014 to me. It's so scattered, like a bunch of individualized pieces obscuring a delightfully cohesive shell. I've been less bothered by the previously looks along the way to this, and this just seems like a leap backwards :/

20 minutes ago, flip12 said:

The new True make looks more and more RoboCop 2014 to me. It's so scattered, like a bunch of individualized pieces obscuring a delightfully cohesive shell. I've been less bothered by the previously looks along the way to this, and this just seems like a leap backwards :/

Really? They looked so good at SummerJam. Much nicer than the flashy stuff Bauer and CCM are putting out with crazy graphics.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Really? They looked so good at SummerJam. Much nicer than the flashy stuff Bauer and CCM are putting out with crazy graphics.

I was going to say the same exact thing. This design seems much quieter in comparison to its predecessor. Similar to the Mako progression. And yes, seeing them in person definitely helped too!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

I was going to say the same exact thing. This design seems much quieter in comparison to its predecessor. Similar to the Mako progression. And yes, seeing them in person definitely helped too!

Totally agree there. The Mako was a super ugly skate because of the orange and bright silver heel. Once they toned it down it was much better. 

Being a VH wearer, I can definitely say the True skates are FAR more refined. My VH have glue all over the place and the white accent piece is coming off (because the stitching is fake, it's actually just glued onto the boot). 

I got to see them first hand the other day, thought they look really good and less "homemade" as I always felt the VH looked. Heavier than I expected but I'm excited to go back on payday to get scanned.

What do you guys think of the True holders? I can't decide. I'm contemplating getting the boot, putting on my existing Bauer Tuuk Edge holders (and the 2 pairs of steel I already have). I have a good LHS that's been working on skates for 20 years. I'm leaning towards the Tuuk holders, they would save some money and in the long run they seem like they have the more clean classic look that wouldn't get old.

However, the thought of having everything made by True and put together by True/VH is really tempting.

Edited by calby8

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

True nor VH make holders. Holder is made by Step. 

My bad, I saw the True name on the holders when I got fitted. How do people feel about the STEP holders in comparison to the Bauer Tuuk Edge holders comparing both looks and performance?

Edited by calby8

1 hour ago, calby8 said:

My bad, I saw the True name on the holders when I got fitted. How do people feel about the STEP holders in comparison to the Bauer Tuuk Edge holders comparing both looks and performance?

If I was buying player skates I'd probably put tuuk edge on them. For my goalie skates though, the step holders are fine for me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I won't argue there, it's definitely better than the graffitied boots of the big two, just that it's not as attractive as the previous skates in its ancestry. People seem to be warming up to them in person, and I haven't had a chance to see them other than in photos yet, but I've looked hard and the more I see, the more I'm convinced.

What Bauer and CCM does works for selling skates, apparently. Both of them have skates that were gorgeous in my opinion: CCM's RBZs and Bauer's One90s and One95s. Both featured the materials of the skate with minimal flourishes, still just enough to make it interesting. Even in Bauer's Back In Black Nexus 1Ns and new Vapor 1Xs, I have to try and hold my stomach. Dégueulasses! 

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Totally agree there. The Mako was a super ugly skate because of the orange and bright silver heel. Once they toned it down it was much better. 

Being a VH wearer, I can definitely say the True skates are FAR more refined. My VH have glue all over the place and the white accent piece is coming off (because the stitching is fake, it's actually just glued onto the boot). 

Is the stitching fake? It could be it's holding together a sandwich of leather and other soft materials that are necessary layers over the shell; I'm not sure but I've been wondering if it helps keep those pieces together rather than being purely decorative. Of course they aren't stitched all the way through the boot: you'd be able to see it if they were. It's also plainly shown in the videos from their workshop that they're just gluing them on and then sewing them up at the edges of the boot.

Again, not having seen the new boots in person I can't attest to finishing quality, but every Bauer, CCM, and Easton skate I've inspected in shops over the last few years has had at least a noticeable degree of the same issues: uneven stitching, sloppy glue peaking out beyond edges. People talk about the hand made MLX and VH as if they're unique offenders in that area, but the big-factory made boots I've seen are nothing better.

11 hours ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

Fletch, I should be up your way this week. I have a sample you can see, if you want.

20617021_800516993455123_397927646520113

Nice!  Thanks man.  I can meet you wherever, just let me know.  I will be in LA on Wednesday for work but aside from that I will be free.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

If I was buying player skates I'd probably put tuuk edge on them. For my goalie skates though, the step holders are fine for me. 

I’m sure holder choice will end sooner rather than later. 

5 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

I’m sure holder choice will end sooner rather than later. 

I think its already happened. You cant buy tuuk from them anymore. But they WILL mount them still if you send your own, from what I was told. 

14 hours ago, Fletch said:

Zac, are the skates going to be at Monkey/Giant soon?  If you are going to be stopping by one of these days, I'd love to come check them out :)

They are at Hockey Monkey and Ultimate Skates at TSC.  

Coming soon to Pure / Giant.

Edited by Zac911
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I think its already happened. You cant buy tuuk from them anymore. But they WILL mount them still if you send your own, from what I was told. 

I think as people get their head around not buying a CCM or Bauer skate, it becomes easier to ditch the holder (especially when they like the boot). Everyone we've put in the Step/VH/True holder has been pretty happy with them (granted it is a relatively small sample size). 

I don't think it's a particularly good looking skate, although admittedly how it looks is not usually high on my list of priorities. If it fits and is as comfortable as its reputation, I'd definitely consider it.

The 4 stripe pattern, although it's a SVH "signature", looks very forced (and cheap) to me. The last gen VH skates did the stripes a little better IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zac911 said:

They are at Hockey Monkey and Ultimate Skates at TSC.  

Coming soon to Pure / Giant.

Awesome, I work right by Monkey so that's good news!

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo122 said:

True nor VH make holders. Holder is made by Step. 

Where did you get that information? I know the Step name was on the original holders, but my old boss talked to the owner of Step and he said that he had no input into the design of the holder. Seems weird that they would manufacture something and put there name on it if they had no input into the product.

My friend who sharpens at a LHS said that they are very hard to clamp in for sharpening and he said the Step steel that fits in them is always reverse pitched. I feel like they could have done a better job with these holders and steel.

Only a semi-related question but will the black step steel fit on the Lightspeed Edge holders?  That's what I'd be looking to have mounted on True skates when I order them.  

Edited by Fletch

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

Only a semi-related question but will the black step steel fit on the Lightspeed Edge holders?  That's what I'd be looking to have mounted on True skates when I order them.  

Step ST-EDGE is only available in Canada, not the US.

20617021_800516993455123_397927646520113

There could be something wrong with me, but I think these are pretty ugly. The resin/mesh heel reminds me Makos look which is not a compliment. It almost looks to me that if the side piece that has the VH logo on it, was a one piece with the foxing, completely covering this heel, it would have removed this bursting-out-bubble situation at the back and made this a much more stream-lined and easier on the eye skate.