Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Bummer I liked that piece. Would be good to know some of these small intricacies when ordering, but I guess being some of the first to order their full custom boot and under the new brand growth I guess there's some trade off. Oh well...

Also, at first True said the retailer or myself could send a pair Bauer Edge holders to them to put on, they didn't know how long they would offer the service, then called and said shipping from the retailer and mounting would cost $80 so I declined. Not sure how they got to that amount, maybe I should have asked how much for me to send the Edge holders myself, but True did say they would drill the holes where the holder should be for the LHS to mount them.

Edited by calby8

1 hour ago, calby8 said:

Bummer I liked that piece. Would be good to know some of these small intricacies when ordering, but I guess being some of the first to order their full custom boot and under the new brand growth I guess there's some trade off. Oh well...

Also, at first True said the retailer or myself could send a pair Bauer Edge holders to them to put on, they didn't know how long they would offer the service, then called and said shipping from the retailer and mounting would cost $80 so I declined. Not sure how they got to that amount, maybe I should have asked how much for me to send the Edge holders myself, but True did say they would drill the holes where the holder should be for the LHS to mount them.

Interesting, I already have holders and steel so I asked if I could get mine pre-drilled for Edge holders and was told I couldn’t. I own a skate riveter so I planned to do it myself but figured if the holes are already there it’s one less thing I need to do. 

Guess I’ll find out when I go in next week for my fitting. 

I liked it too. Sad to see it not on there. It makes it look closer to the slick retail skates. Oh well. At first I thought it was a mistake but I called them up and was told that it only works with the True holders. I had more important issues to deal with anyway.

I bought Edge holders and LS3 steel from Pro Hockey Life online and had them shipped directly to True (VH) so they could put them on (they told me they would). When they came yesterday they came without steel. I paid $90 for the steel. I asked them what was up and they said that Pro Hockey Life shipped the wrong steel. The guy I talked to at True said that they were LS2 instead of LS3 but I suspect that the problem is actually that they are not the Edge version LS3 (I wasn't aware that the Edge holder uses a special version so I probably ordered the wrong one). However, I get that they couldn't put them in the skates, but they should have at least put them in the box so that I could recoup some of my expense on eBay. The guy I talked to yesterday was supposed to get back to me today to let me know what they could do, but as yet I haven't heard back from them. If they can't find them, I can't imagine they are going to ship me some. So I think my skates are going to end up $90 more than they should have.

Edited by AfftonDad
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, calby8 said:

How did you like the new pair and getting them baked? This is probably a dumb question, but what does it mean if they don't come without the foxings in the heel? Did they install the Bauer Edge holders for you and additional work needs to be done?

Haven't had a chance to bake them yet (I'll do it at home as I did with my last pair). The foxings are plastic piece on the heel. They put the holders on for me. They didn't charge me extra, but the no holder price was around $839 instead of the $800 I had been expecting.

Edited by AfftonDad

12 hours ago, Fletch said:

I could be wrong but I think he means it didn't come with the piece below that has the True logo on it:

yahuEj3.jpg

That looks odd...is it crooked, or is it just a trick of the camera angle?

My Mako IIs are literally falling apart (the carbon fiber has cracked around the forefoot where the rivets are), so I decided to order a pair from True on August 6th.  I didn't have time to drive at least 2.5 hours (one way) to get my foot scanned properly (assuming they're even set up for scanning anywhere here in Florida), so I had my girl do the foot tracings and pictures.  She's a former x-ray tech, an amateur photog, and an artist, so I think she did a good job with the tracings and photos. *fingers crossed*  

Years of skating in poorly fitting skates have done a number on my feet: very large Haglund deformities and other issues that don't necessarily hurt, but make skate fitting tricky.  I loved the Mako IIs, but really looking forward to what True/VH does for me.

I sent a pair of CXN holders up to Winnipeg and they're being installed on my new skates since I have a few pair of custom steel from the Mako IIs.  Looks like I got in just in time to be able to order online from home and send my own holders to True.

Anyway, as soon as I get them and take 'em for a spin, I'll be sure to share my thoughts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iskander said:

My Mako IIs are literally falling apart (the carbon fiber has cracked around the forefoot where the rivets are), so I decided to order a pair from True on August 6th.  I didn't have time to drive at least 2.5 hours (one way) to get my foot scanned properly (assuming they're even set up for scanning anywhere here in Florida), so I had my girl do the foot tracings and pictures.  She's a former x-ray tech, an amateur photog, and an artist, so I think she did a good job with the tracings and photos. *fingers crossed*  

Years of skating in poorly fitting skates have done a number on my feet: very large Haglund deformities and other issues that don't necessarily hurt, but make skate fitting tricky.  I loved the Mako IIs, but really looking forward to what True/VH does for me.

I sent a pair of CXN holders up to Winnipeg and they're being installed on my new skates since I have a few pair of custom steel from the Mako IIs.  Looks like I got in just in time to be able to order online from home and send my own holders to True.

Anyway, as soon as I get them and take 'em for a spin, I'll be sure to share my thoughts.

CXN Holders? Have you tried to get steel for that lately? Not easy. I had CXN holders on my last pair of VH (in order to emulate my Makos) but I switched to Bauer Edge this time around. I believe I "determined" the pitch on the CXN+Runner to be around +3 and this is in line with what I have seen many others say as well as what VH told me is the pitch for the CXN + Runner. So I had them put a +3 in the heel (built into the boot). I haven't skated with them yet, so I don't know if my gamble was a success or a failure (If it is a failure, I'll have my runners profiled appropriately). 

• Like 1

CXN Step Steel is easier to find compared to Easton CXN steel.  I'm hoping to eventually get True skates with CXN holders mounted.

10 hours ago, flip12 said:

That looks odd...is it crooked, or is it just a trick of the camera angle?

It is definitely crooked in person, that's not the camera angle.  I figured because it was due to the shape of the foot of the person it was molded for, or the fact that it was a demo pair meant that maybe that pair didn't work out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Interesting. The one at SummerJam was fine. 

Who knows... maybe it was a blem or the person had club feet ;)

2 hours ago, AfftonDad said:

CXN Holders? Have you tried to get steel for that lately? Not easy. I had CXN holders on my last pair of VH (in order to emulate my Makos) but I switched to Bauer Edge this time around. I believe I "determined" the pitch on the CXN+Runner to be around +3 and this is in line with what I have seen many others say as well as what VH told me is the pitch for the CXN + Runner. So I had them put a +3 in the heel (built into the boot). I haven't skated with them yet, so I don't know if my gamble was a success or a failure (If it is a failure, I'll have my runners profiled appropriately). 

I've got 3 sets of steel that were in my rotation on my Mako IIs.  Since the holders are the same size for my Trues, I should be good to go.  And as Aggie said, I still see CXN steel available through Step. I may buy another pair but, down here in Florida, I don't need to sharpen very much 'cause the ice tends to be soft (particularly during the summer).

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

Who knows... maybe it was a blem or the person had club feet ;)

It all depends on the foot.  Guys-  Remember these are custom molded to YOUR foot.  If you have a fairly average shaped foot-  The carbon sled is likely to look the same / similar.  If you have an odd shaped foot-  The carbon sled will look the same / similar.  

This goes back to about comments about aesthetics- These are custom carbon fiber sleds made for YOUR foot.  The more you have oddities in the shape of your foot the more likely you will see that from the exterior.  No two pairs of these skates will truly look identical because,  they are made to various sizes / shapes of feet.

Due to the various shapes of feet it's hard to take a uniform piece like that heel foxing and have it fit perfectly center on a carbon sled that fits someone who has an odd shape.  Make sense?

I think we have become so accustomed to homogenized looking skates where they are all the same on the outside and then the internals determine how good of a fit you get.

Think of these skates as more of an Orthopedic Device rather than a Marketing Campaign with smooth exterior racing lines of a car.  

While out installing these Fit Centers I have had so many players take their shoes and socks off to show battle wounds from years of wearing bad fitting skates.  

Gnarly Bones Spurs / Calcium deposits from toes,  ball,  instep,  heel you name it.  

The reason this skate makes sense is because it fits so good that you won't end up with those battle scars.

So like I was saying-  If you don't get it... Eventually you will.

• Like 8

Howdy,

I probably missed it in the thread but...

If you want to have Tuuk holders mounted, it sounds like you can still ship them to True/VH and have them mounted.  Does the boot get discounted since you're not using the True/Step holder?  Is there any extra charge to mount the Tuuk holder instead?

Mark

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I probably missed it in the thread but...

If you want to have Tuuk holders mounted, it sounds like you can still ship them to True/VH and have them mounted.  Does the boot get discounted since you're not using the True/Step holder?  Is there any extra charge to mount the Tuuk holder instead?

Mark

I was initially told that they couldn't do it but then told if I send them my holders they would do it (which I did and which they did). I ordered them on 7/7/2017. The boot only price was $839(USD) with no line item for the installation of the holder OR the +3 forward pitch I had them make into the boot. Everything else was standard (no options). I received them on 8/14/2017 (without the blades, but they are overnighting them to me as we speak). I don't know if the policy (or price) has changed since 7/7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AfftonDad said:

I was initially told that they couldn't do it but then told if I send them my holders they would do it (which I did and which they did). I ordered them on 7/7/2017. The boot only price was $839(USD) with no line item for the installation of the holder OR the +3 forward pitch I had them make into the boot. Everything else was standard (no options). I received them on 8/14/2017 (without the blades, but they are overnighting them to me as we speak). I don't know if the policy (or price) has changed since 7/7.

Not sure if there is a discount on holders or not (probably not as that would make most sense from standpoint of  promoting more VH product out), but, I think it would help VH if they'd let you have the VH holders and steel regardless if you opted out or not and offer no discounts. So even if you opted to send Tuuks in, they would mount the Tuuks on the skates and sent you the VH holders and Steel on the side. This way, you can put those in if you change your mind later, or sell them rinkside or whatever. My logic on this is that in a short period of time, there will be loads of random skaters with VH holders simply because people wanted to try the holders and were able to get them from Ebay or rinkside for cheap. Lots of them will love the holders and this creates a pool of future customers that will go with VH holders plus it creates stronger brand awareness. This can be pretty efficient way to take over a market share from other holders/steel manufacturers or at least make a small dent in the competitors revenues while creating VH holders culture. StepSteel will benefit from this as they will sell more steel this way.

• Like 1

The fact that the goalie skate is not seated properly bugs me... I didn't notice it when I took the pic or I would have straightened it. :3_grin:

Edited by Fletch

15 hours ago, Fletch said:

Display is up at Monkey in Irvine, right in the center of the skate wall.

x4Pdske.jpg

I thought they looked awesome in person and think this pic shows they look as good as any other skate out there in my opinion. Still can't decide if the white felt or black felt looks better.

Edited by calby8