Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Yeah, that was the customization choice that was the toughest for me... in the end I went with white because it looks more traditional, but I may order a pair of black down the line to swap them with.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 6:10 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

I probably missed it in the thread but...

If you want to have Tuuk holders mounted, it sounds like you can still ship them to True/VH and have them mounted.  Does the boot get discounted since you're not using the True/Step holder?  Is there any extra charge to mount the Tuuk holder instead?

Mark

I have stopped by monkeys ports and they have true display. It says that boot only costs $110 less, so yes it looks like there is a discount, but obviously, they might charge a mounting fee, which is not mentioned.

I liked the holder much more in person than on the photographs here. Dimples are kind of not as in your face. Actually liked the holes cut out. Nice solid feel to the way the runners are in. Very solid feel for the holders overall. Gloves are pretty nice too. The display is pretty good. Goalie skates - meh, bug if they work, they work I guess.

Edited by Kgbeast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I don’t understand... it’s the same skate minus tendon guard with a different runner. How do you like one but not the other?

When I grabbed the skate off the display, I thought I was holding players skate, until I saw the weird runner setup. Then I noticed that tendon guard is basicaly just gone. Looks to much of a retrofit, as if one took players skates, cut off the tendon guard, and grinded the rocker of the runner leaving what it looks like less than half an inch of steel in the middle  (does not look promissing for sparx). I'd say if you order those, send bauer holder in if you think that cowlings are thing of the past. Also as a separate question to you as a goalie, does that rim atop of the toe area tears the edge of the pads up, or the cowling on your current skates covers it enough to protect the pads?

so yes, boot is identicle, but as a goalie skate package, it seems a bit under designed.

• Facepalm 1

On 8/20/2017 at 8:09 PM, Fletch said:

Display is up at Monkey in Irvine, right in the center of the skate wall.

x4Pdske.jpg

Fletch... That's what they put together until we get the Fit Centers Launched.  Stay tuned ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

When I grabbed the skate off the display, I thought I was holding players skate, until I saw the weird runner setup. Then I noticed that tendon guard is basicaly just gone. Looks to much of a retrofit, as if one took players skates, cut off the tendon guard, and grinded the rocker of the runner leaving what it looks like less than half an inch of steel in the middle  (does not look promissing for sparx). I'd say if you order those, send bauer holder in if you think that cowlings are thing of the past. Also as a separate question to you as a goalie, does that rim atop of the toe area tears the edge of the pads up, or the cowling on your current skates covers it enough to protect the pads?

so yes, boot is identicle, but as a goalie skate package, it seems a bit under designed.

I completely disagree with your assessment.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Kind of like the Bauer 1S?

16 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Kind of like the Bauer 1S?

To be fair, the goalie 1S are totally different from the player 1S.

VH feel much closer between the two than Bauer does.

33 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

My point was the boot looks like a player boot with the tendon guard removed.

Yes, but it also has reinforced and reshaped toecap, different hight of the boot on the inside vs outside, soft comfort edge around the top including tendon v-cut (or whatever it is called). It also has extra protection on the inner side bottom of the boot, boot heel protection (from banging on the posts), more flexible upper edge of the boot.

As I said, it is not that the VH goalie skate I saw on the display is bad, it is just feels underdesigned. Maybe less is more, and commonly it is, but for some reason Bauer (as an example) has bothered to add all of these features and went to a length to design the goalie holder.

19 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Yes, but it also has reinforced and reshaped toecap, different hight of the boot on the inside vs outside, soft comfort edge around the top including tendon v-cut (or whatever it is called). It also has extra protection on the inner side bottom of the boot, boot heel protection (from banging on the posts), more flexible upper edge of the boot.

As I said, it is not that the VH goalie skate I saw on the display is bad, it is just feels underdesigned. Maybe less is more, and commonly it is, but for some reason Bauer (as an example) has bothered to add all of these features and went to a length to design the goalie holder.

all gimmicks if the skate doesn't fit *shrug*

2 minutes ago, t1tan said:

all gimmicks if the skate doesn't fit *shrug*

They aren't gimmicks just because you can't utilize them because you don't fit into the skate. They are legitimate features other brands don't have.

While Bauer gets bashed a lot, their goalie skates are pretty great at a retail level if they fit. Problem is that people like me don't fit into them, but I will be disappointed that the True skate I buy doesn't have some of those features in the 1S or 1X.

Bit of an observation here... I had/have a pair of VH and I just received my True skates a week or so ago. I had the True skates made to the same tracings as the VH were. My feet (nor any other body parts) have not lost weight. The True skates seem to have a little more space in them than the VH skates that should be exactly the same. I'm having to work a little harder to get the True skates as snug as the VH were.

I have a lot of forward pitch built in to the boot. The first time I skated with them I could feel my toes banging up against the toe cap due to the extra space allowing my foot to slide down the "hill" of the forward pitch. After that I baked them a second time, using a trigger clamp on the heel, wearing no socks and tying them as tightly as I could (to bias them a little snugger). I skated on them a second time and the sliding forward thing was gone, but there was still a little space in the midfoot (instep and directly across the instep on the outside) where I can feel(hear?) air sucking in and out of the gap each stride. I am going to try baking them a third time, with clamps also across the midfoot to take out the little bit of remaining space. True has offered to send a thicker footbed if I'm not able to get it there through molding. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get them there though. After the second baking (with the exception of the little bit of space that will hopefully soon be gone) I am very happy with how identical my True(with +3 in the boot) + Bauer Edge + LS2 feel compared to my VH + CXN + ES4.

25 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Interesting. So perhaps I should go for the foot scan instead of just having them make mine based on my VH tracings. 

Probably not a bad idea. I would have if it were available where I live.

Edited by AfftonDad

14 minutes ago, AfftonDad said:

Probably not a bad idea. I would have if it were available where I live.

I had just figured that since mine were perfect, I didn't want to introduce the possibility of something being off. But from your experience I think it'd be better to get it done. I guess it SHOULD be more accurate and make for an even better fitting pair of skates. But that ounce of concern is still there nevertheless. 

Can anyone tell me: did you get tracking information from True (or VH) when they shipped your skates to you?  Just curious if I'm going to know when to expect a very exciting package, or if they just sort of show up on the doorstep.  Monday will be 3 weeks since I ordered, and while I understand I need to be patient, it would be nice to know when they're on the way.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Iskander said:

Can anyone tell me: did you get tracking information from True (or VH) when they shipped your skates to you?  Just curious if I'm going to know when to expect a very exciting package, or if they just sort of show up on the doorstep.  Monday will be 3 weeks since I ordered, and while I understand I need to be patient, it would be nice to know when they're on the way.

I did, but it was Rob that sent it directly to me. It wasn't automated or anything. I'm sure you can ask them for it. (Then again, this was in the VH days a couple years ago, I like to think True is a bit more automated for the order process but who knows) 

On 8/25/2017 at 4:00 AM, flip12 said:

@AfftonDad , how do the tongues compare between your VH boots and the Trues?

Very similar (except they look a little cooler... they say True on them and have some cutaway pieces that sort of give them a metatarsal guard look). Even though they offered me an option with metatarsal guards, I chose the felt tongues. I didn't have good luck with metatarsal guards on my U+CL (they kind of "broke") so I wanted to stick with the tried and true felt tongues.

On 8/25/2017 at 9:42 AM, Iskander said:

I did not. They took around four weeks for them to arrive. I'm sure if I had asked Rob for tracking info he would have given it to me. I think they shipped on a Monday and I got them on the next Wednesday. Took a total of four weeks.

The re-baking with clamps solved all my problems. They pretty much feel exactly like my old ones. One thing about them though is pissing me off. I wear my shins over my tongues and for some reason my tendon guards keep ending up under my hockey socks. So I end up with that "leg warmer" look. I hate that. My last pair were the "flexible" tendon guards so maybe they stuck out a little more and prevented it. It's the only pair of skates I have ever had do that. Hopefully it will stop after the tendon guards get broken in a little bit.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 7:42 AM, Iskander said:

I ordered mine 4 weeks ago tomorrow and called my LHS.  They said they are still waiting for notification that they shipped but also told me a guy had just called with the same question but he had ordered his a week before I did.  Same thing with him, they haven't gotten a shipping notification yet.  Kinda sucks to have to wait but I knew that going in there would be a delay because they need to get the Pro orders done.  I'll update this thread when mine ship.