Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

17 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Sparks new wheels:

Interesting alteration to the cut of the top of the boot: eyelets more in the old Easton recliner position compared to VH's normal 90's CCM Tacks upright L.

23 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Sparks new wheels:

Is it just me, or does the "fit and finish" on those skates look really tight?  Is this improved QA that you get by having VH a part of True now?  Regardless, I'm losing my mind waiting for my skates to finally arrive! Just need to make it through Irma unscathed...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Iskander said:

Is it just me, or does the "fit and finish" on those skates look really tight?  Is this improved QA that you get by having VH a part of True now?  Regardless, I'm losing my mind waiting for my skates to finally arrive! Just need to make it through Irma unscathed...

What about the top eyelet that falls on its own line? That's strange to me. The stitching looks regular and orderly, that's for sure, and the 4+ pieces that made up the quarter externals on the latter day VHs seem much more streamlined in the three that take their place. The tendon guard looks a bit bulgy though (on player skates, not Sparks', obviously).

Was down at my LHS (True dealer) this afternoon and they had a sample player and goal skate, but still waiting on their display. I liked the new tongue and tendon guard much better than the old and the new holder seemed decent, but I found new True skates more bulky than my lesser polished VH's.

Maybe it was because these weren't baked yet, which would contour the ankle area a lot more? 

On 9/8/2017 at 11:30 AM, Fletch said:

Me too... 4 weeks as of yesterday and I keep waiting for that email or phone call that says they are on the way to the shop for me.

Just a heads up I got a call from the shop that my skates are ready (after 6.5 weeks), but True has shipped a large amount of skates overnight due to the delay so they will be at the shop tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calby8 said:

Just a heads up I got a call from the shop that my skates are ready (after 6.5 weeks), but True has shipped a large amount of skates overnight due to the delay so they will be at the shop tomorrow.

Awesome, man.  Please keep the updates coming!

I just got my True skates last week and they fit great on the foot but when I skate on them, after about 15 minutes, I get an extreme amount of pain on the outside of both my shins.  I have tried tying them differently, different insoles, etc. and am at a loss.  Any ideas as I'm about to ditch them and go back to my Bauers?  Thanks.

15 minutes ago, ParkseY said:

I just got my True skates last week and they fit great on the foot but when I skate on them, after about 15 minutes, I get an extreme amount of pain on the outside of both my shins.  I have tried tying them differently, different insoles, etc. and am at a loss.  Any ideas as I'm about to ditch them and go back to my Bauers?  Thanks.

Is anything rubbing against the area that is hurting?

Just now, Fletch said:

Is anything rubbing against the area that is hurting?

No, my feet feel fine but my shins are on fire on the outside.  Doesn't happen in my Bauers at all and I've never had it happen in any other skates I've worn. 

38 minutes ago, ParkseY said:

Is it like a shin splint feeling or on the outside like lateral stops and starts? I'm curious what is causing it. Have you talked to True or LHS? Maybe some pressure from the feet moving up the shins, insoles, heel, boot, lace bite, pitch, etc.? Does the heel feel too high or instep too tight? If you got the True holders that come with Step steel it may be the holders or steel taller than what you're used to?

Edited by calby8

28 minutes ago, ParkseY said:

No, my feet feel fine but my shins are on fire on the outside.  Doesn't happen in my Bauers at all and I've never had it happen in any other skates I've worn. 

Any profiling done?

31 minutes ago, ParkseY said:

Which part of your shins? Is it a muscle burning feeling or a rubbing on tendon or bone, etc.? Can you find an anatomical diagram that shows the part and pinpoint the spot?

12 minutes ago, flip12 said:

39 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Maybe the pitch is different enough from your old set up that it's creating discomfort?

Not sure, could be.  They both have the same steel & holders.

24 minutes ago, calby8 said:

Is it like a shin splint feeling or on the outside like lateral stops and starts? I'm curious what is causing it. Have you talked to True or LHS? Maybe some pressure from the feet moving up the shins, insoles, heel, boot, lace bite, pitch, etc.? Does the heel feel too high or instep too tight? If you got the True holders that come with Step steel it may be the holders or steel taller than what you're used to?

I've never had shin splints but I would imagine the same sort of feeling.  Heel does feel slightly high but not too bad and the instep is fine.  I have the Tuuk holders with step steel black.

16 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Any profiling done?

No I put the black step steel from my 1s skates on the Trues. 

12 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Which part of your shins? Is it a muscle burning feeling or a rubbing on tendon or bone, etc.? Can you find an anatomical diagram that shows the part and pinpoint the spot?

Almost feels like a stabbing pain.  Half way up the calf directly above the ankle bone. 

Edited by ParkseY

1 hour ago, ParkseY said:

Almost feels like a stabbing pain.  Half way up the calf directly above the ankle bone. 

Is it muscle pain, from suddenly over-exerting a muscle group that is exposed to a new level of strain, or is it contact/rubbing pain from the top of the boot, à la Mako Bumps?

49 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Is it muscle pain, from suddenly over-exerting a muscle group that is exposed to a new level of strain, or is it contact/rubbing pain from the top of the boot, à la Mako Bumps?

Muscle/bone.  Definitely not rubbing. 

1 hour ago, ParkseY said:

Muscle/bone.  Definitely not rubbing. 

How strong are your lower legs? Are they getting put through harsher paces because it's a lower cut boot? (Is it lower cut than your Vapors? That would be my guess.)

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new wheels, ParkseY.

Just heard from True...they said my skates shipped yesterday.  I ordered them on August 7th, so 5 weeks or so from order to shipment.  I didn't get a tracking number - I was so excited to hear they're on the way, I figure I can just enjoy the surprise whenever they show.  

As an aside - my local rink lost its ice due to a power outage thanks to hurricane Irma, so I haven't skated in a week.  I'm going to try to head to another rink this weekend to get my hockey fix on.

Anyway, I'll definitely share some photos and my thoughts on the skates once I finally get them on my feet!

Edited by Iskander
Username
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

How strong are your lower legs? Are they getting put through harsher paces because it's a lower cut boot? (Is it lower cut than your Vapors? That would be my guess.)

I can't really add anything to the guys issue as you are asking the exact same questions I would be asking.  Many of the mainstream mfg's skates tend to restrict motion and thus the skater doesn't truly develop some of the muscle groups leaving them weak ( and potentially fatigued after skating in a boot that offers better range of motion / articulation ).  Without knowing more details about the skater it's kind of hard to diagnose.

• Like 2

Ok folks, finally got my True custom skates on Saturday.  Baked them in my oven at home, which has a convection setting, at 200°F for 10 minutes.  Skated in them later that night.

First impressions:

• they seem "bulkier" than the Mako IIs I was wearing.  Not necessarily heavier (I haven't tried to weigh them), but just larger (more material) maybe?  However, with the accessory navicular and large haglund's I have on both feet, I'll chalk this up to them being formed for my funky feet.
  • they seem to be slightly too big. My toes are not exactly touching the inside of the toe box like I usually like.  This is a little disappointing to me.  However, I do believe that I generally (like for the last 25-30 years) wear skates that are probably at least a half size too small, hence the foot problems I have.  I've seen the video where Scott adds some little pads to the inside of the toe box, and I'll try that, but for skates that are supposed to be entirely custom (and are not cheap), adding little pads to the inside of the skates seems...silly.
  • the toebox seems too large in the z dimension (top to bottom).  I did slide my tongues way down to remove some negative space, and this seemed to help.  I may end up looking at Powerfeet inserts, if I feel that I can't remove enough negative space above my toes by just using the tongues.
  • Turning and stopping were very good.  I use a 5/8" z-channel cut, and had no trouble with chattering and could do hockey stops to both sides without trouble.  However, with them being new, and feeling a bit big, I did have a couple of moments where I felt clumsy, especially when trying to sprint out of a turn.

So not entirely in love with them yet, but hopeful that I will grow to love them.  The potential sizing issue(s) has me wishing that I had been able to get the 3D scan before purchasing, but with my Makos falling apart, and no place to get the 3D scan without getting on a plane, I pulled the trigger anyway.  I do plan on baking them again and either using an ace (tensor) bandage and/or a ratchet clamp to work on some fit issues around the ankle and heel.

Sorry no pics yet...I'll try to post a couple pics and update y'all after I get a little more time in the skates.

• Like 2