Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it may have came like that from the factory? The small bubbles at the end look like more of a build issue than wear and tear. Doesn't look to be structural, I would fill it in with some resin and call it a day. 

@calby8 That definetly doesn't look like a cut or from a shot. Looks like bubbling either from the manufacturing or maybe from the baking process or if you used a heat gun to make some small adjustments? 

3 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it may have came like that from the factory? The small bubbles at the end look like more of a build issue than wear and tear. Doesn't look to be structural, I would fill it in with some resin and call it a day. 

I agree, resin could fix the issue pretty well but I agree with his point too that it’s a little disappointing that it happens at two skates in.  

12 hours ago, calby8 said:
Just an update on my new True skates unfortunately is not good news. After only the second time/second game wearing my skates I noticed a gash in the carbon fiber, The gash it is about 1.5 inches wide by a 1/4 inch tall on the right side of the left skate. I attached some pictures below.

Keep in mind, this is beer league, non checking hockey. I'm not sure if it was a puck off the foot, but nobody in the league has a shot to be afraid of to do much damage.

I reached out to MonkeySports where I bought them, to contact True Skates to see what they can do to fix the issue and will provide an update. Please let me know if you have come across any similar situations and have any suggestions. For only using the skates for the second time I'm pretty disappointed for a pair skates that cost over a thousand dollars.

I had basically the same issue (look at my post on Pg 111). Anyway I emailed True, they had a shipping label for me the next day. Unfortunately I was moving so it took a week for me to be able to send them back, but I sent them in. They went in overnight and I had them back perfectly repaired two days after I mailed them out. 

From the images, it looks like we had the exact same thing, anyway they were extremely helpful and very quick. If you have any other questions or anything feel free to send me a PM.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Yeah, he fell over tonight on the first Matthews goal for seemingly no reason.

I guess he believes on the inside that cowlingless can give him advantage, but he just can not figure out how. His problem is probably lays in boots being too stiff and holder too high. Some skaters live off the boot give, some wish there was none.

Not sure if Price will find his way to the cowlingless this time around, but True have got another guy on board, Boone Jenner.

Has anyone opted for the built in shot blockers since they have switched over to True? I’d assume there would be no difference from the VH skates but I want to be sure. I’m ordering a pair this week and am on the fence. I usually wear skate fenders and would like to ditch them. 

4 hours ago, Swlabr11 said:

Has anyone opted for the built in shot blockers since they have switched over to True? I’d assume there would be no difference from the VH skates but I want to be sure. I’m ordering a pair this week and am on the fence. I usually wear skate fenders and would like to ditch them. 

Are those basically the equivalent of ordering goalie skate boots with a tendon guard?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Are those basically the equivalent of ordering goalie skate boots with a tendon guard?

That’s what I’m worried about.  

3 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

What is worrying about that?

I guess my concern is that it’ll be so stiff it’ll no longer be comfortable. Now that I type that out it seems ridiculous since they will be made to fit my foot and it shouldn’t be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Swlabr11 said:

I guess my concern is that it’ll be so stiff it’ll no longer be comfortable. Now that I type that out it seems ridiculous since they will be made to fit my foot and it shouldn’t be an issue. 

I think you answered your own concerns :)

• Like 1

It will be stiffer obviously, but they are still comfortable.  The other thing you have to think about is longevity, they will last way longer if you get the enhanced protection.  I took a shot off my inner ankle 2 weeks ago, the hardest I've ever had.  Looks like it was a really bad contusion (just waiting for the results) but I am pretty sure I would of broke or fractured it if I didn't have the protection.

Custom skates are not comfortable out of the box...they still need to be broken in. 

• Like 3

On 10/30/2017 at 7:49 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

Custom skates are not comfortable out of the box...they still need to be broken in. 

Are you talking about non-VH custom skates? Maybe I'm a minority on this, but my VH were the most comfortable skate I'd ever worn right out of the.. well, oven. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Are you talking about non-VH custom skates? Maybe I'm a minority on this, but my VH were the most comfortable skate I'd ever worn right out of the.. well, oven. 

That's what I was trying to figure out-  Highest compliment I can pay these skates is that I haven't thought about my feet once since I have been in them.  Absoutely love my new jets,  but hey I am kinda' biased.

On 2017-10-30 at 4:02 AM, Swlabr11 said:

I've have the built in shot blockers on my VH skates and I can't tell. Saying that these are my first pair of VH so can't really compare, but it hasn't been an issue for me. Sure the skates are stiff but I still have way more flex than I did om my previous skates (CCM Tacks). The skates where comfortable from day one and haven't had to break them in at all. I would never order a pair without built in protection now.

• Like 1

After many years of wearing Bauer skates, and liking their product I took the plunge today and got scanned for some True skates. Bauer over the years I've felt lost a lot of quality, even in some pro stock skates I've bought. I have a wide foot, so finding something comfortable off the shelf was difficult without having to punch out the skates, and risk losing some integrity of the skates. Shop gave me a ballpark of 6-8 weeks, so hopefully sooner than that. Will update once I get them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buddy said:

After many years of wearing Bauer skates, and liking their product I took the plunge today and got scanned for some True skates. Bauer over the years I've felt lost a lot of quality, even in some pro stock skates I've bought. I have a wide foot, so finding something comfortable off the shelf was difficult without having to punch out the skates, and risk losing some integrity of the skates. Shop gave me a ballpark of 6-8 weeks, so hopefully sooner than that. Will update once I get them. 

Hope everything works out for you. I had a similar issue which made me take the leap.

I read all the VH threads on this forum (when it was 35 pages deep lol) when I pulled the trigger.

After 2 years of using my VH’s I must say that I wouldn’t go back to another skate. 

I hope you have a similar experience and congrats!!

9 hours ago, adams2001 said:

Hope everything works out for you. I had a similar issue which made me take the leap.

I read all the VH threads on this forum (when it was 35 pages deep lol) when I pulled the trigger.

After 2 years of using my VH’s I must say that I wouldn’t go back to another skate. 

I hope you have a similar experience and congrats!!

Thanks! I did a lot of reading, spoke to a few people that have them and they all loved them, and said they would never go back. When I did the Bauer 3D scan it said I was an 8EE, which I've never worn an 8, i'm more of a 9. I tried on a few pairs of Nexus skates, but I didn't fall  in love with them. And for the same money, I figured why not try the custom route. Excited for them to come in, hopefully sooner than later but I'll manage through my referee season with what I've been wearing. 

Sorry if this has been touched upon but I could not find anything within the thread. Can anyone offer input into the performance difference between the two piece and the one piece. Is it something that noticeable I am thinking about getting a pair of true skates.