Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

6 hours ago, Sid said:

Sorry if this has been touched upon but I could not find anything within the thread. Can anyone offer input into the performance difference between the two piece and the one piece. Is it something that noticeable I am thinking about getting a pair of true skates.

By one-piece skate do you mean the goalie skates with an integrated holder or the monocoque boot versus traditional boots with quarter panels glued and stapled to a separate sole?

Edited by flip12
Spacing

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

By one-piece skate do you mean the goalie skates with an integrated holder or the monocoque boot versus traditional boots with quarter panels glued and stapled to a separate sole?

I was wondering on the real differences in a mono frame boot vs the traditional two piece boots. I understand that fit is the most important factor but was curious to the added benefit if anything I.e . Sharper turning faster acceleration. It seems some people say the skate reacts faster to the movement of their feet.

Thanks

Edited by Sid

Just took the plunge after being on Bauers since I was a kid. True's Pro Rep came over here to Qatar and did the fitting being a good friend of his is one of our goalies.

Pretty excited about getting them, had my eye on them for awhile but since I was not going to be in Civilization anytime soon I never thought it would happen.

13 of us in the League over here will soon be sporting new wheels.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sid said:

I was wondering on the real differences in a mono frame boot vs the traditional two piece boots. I understand that fit is the most important factor but was curious to the added benefit if anything I.e . Sharper turning faster acceleration. It seems some people say the skate reacts faster to the movement of their feet.

Thanks

Think about it... It's a boot, not a car. It can not make anything faster. You might be faster and more maneuverable because it is more comfortable and perhaps for some, because it is more supportive, but that would little to do with if it is one-piece or many-piece boot.

The boot that will make you faster could be any boot as long as it makes you faster :smile:.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reddevilpara said:

Just took the plunge after being on Bauers since I was a kid. True's Pro Rep came over here to Qatar and did the fitting being a good friend of his is one of our goalies.

Pretty excited about getting them, had my eye on them for awhile but since I was not going to be in Civilization anytime soon I never thought it would happen.

13 of us in the League over here will soon be sporting new wheels.

Wow, that was a successful trip for the True Rep. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sid said:

Thanks

You get a more efficient transfer of energy between your foot and the ice because less energy is wasted flexing the boot. It's the same principle as comparing stiff carbon fiber bicycle frames to the older more flexible steel frames. It's basic physics.

And apparently many NHL players have moved to a shallower hollow when they went to VH because the skates provided increased grip.

14 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

“It can’t make you faster”

”you might be faster because...”

... just not because it is monoframe, is the point, but nice words catching :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

• Facepalm 1

On 11/7/2017 at 9:03 PM, chocks86 said:

Wow, that was a successful trip for the True Rep. 

Actually it was a few more than I thought........17 pair!

• Like 1

Sort of intrigued to hear opinion of step holder / 

Can almost imagine the boot feel , and what can offer - but deciding this route : Tuuk vs Step holder.... would be my question 

44 minutes ago, S5281 said:

Sort of intrigued to hear opinion of step holder / 

Can almost imagine the boot feel , and what can offer - but deciding this route : Tuuk vs Step holder.... would be my question 

Well...that depends on which Tuuk holder you're talking about.

5 hours ago, S5281 said:

EDGE ...most likely 

Unless you play in the NHL or are in a situation where you can't afford to miss a shift because of a broken blade or damaged edge, I would avoid the Edge holder. The blades are known to loosen and develop side-to-side play after a while. NHL players change their skates every few months so they change them before the blade has a chance to develop that looseness. When I bought my VH skates, the step holder wasn't available yet. I had a choice between Tuuk Edge and Tuuk LS2. I went with LS2 to avoid that and other known problems. What's the point of having the rigidity of a monocoque skate boot if your blade get's sloppily loose. I might have chosen the Step holder if it had been available, but I would go with LS2 over LS Edge.

Edited by Larry54

5 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Unless you play in the NHL or are in a situation where you can't afford to miss a shift because of a broken blade or damaged edge, I would avoid the Edge holder. The blades are known to loosen and develop side-to-side play after a while. NHL players change their skates every few months so they change them before the blade has a chance to develop that looseness. When I bought my VH skates, the step holder wasn't available yet. I had a choice between Tuuk Edge and Tuuk LS2. I went with LS2 to avoid that and other known problems. What's the point of having the rigidity of a monocoque skate boot if your blade get's sloppily loose. I might have chosen the Step holder if it had been available, but I would go with LS2 over LS Edge.

Well true skates don't attach the holder to the monocoque holder anyways.

I wouldn't fear being on edge holders, I've been on my for 3 years with no issues. The majority of time there are issues (from what I heard) is when they have improperly fitted steel in them.

I do not know, but I would suspect that in the vision of Scott and the rest of the VH propeller-heads, the combination of VH boot and VH holder would produce an optimum performance (hence they have that available and it is at least implied if not stated). NHL's fascination with Edge holder comes down to simply the convenience of replacing the blades and to Larry's point, NHL has a much different rotation cycle for the holders and blades (or the entire skates for that matter) than an armature player. Looking at the design of both holders/runners, it is pretty obvious that if you get a hefty slapshot in the blade, the VH holder/blade will most likely survive, while Edge will most likely require a surgery. On the other hand how often you get a stiff shot in the holders?

I was just fitted last week and am very excited to get my new skates. Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what size your runners are before they are finished? I’d like to order a set and have them profiled and sharpened before my skates come. 

2 minutes ago, Swlabr11 said:

I was just fitted last week and am very excited to get my new skates. Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what size your runners are before they are finished? I’d like to order a set and have them profiled and sharpened before my skates come. 

If you have an order number you could probably contact them and ask. 

1 hour ago, Hills said:

I wouldn't fear being on edge holders, I've been on my for 3 years with no issues. The majority of time there are issues (from what I heard) is when they have improperly fitted steel in them.

I've sharpened a lot that are skates purchased from a LHS and have never had the steel changed in them. The Edge flop is the term we use when you put the boot into the clamp and it sinks down.....

8 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Have owned 2 pairs of skates on Edge now w/o any issues. If that did develop... change holders? Not that big a deal/or expense. 

2 hours ago, Hills said:

Well true skates don't attach the holder to the monocoque holder anyways.

I don't. And same ...

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

I do not know, but I would suspect that in the vision of Scott and the rest of the VH propeller-heads, the combination of VH boot and VH holder would produce an optimum performance (hence they have that available and it is at least implied if not stated). NHL's fascination with Edge holder comes down to simply the convenience of replacing the blades and to Larry's point, NHL has a much different rotation cycle for the holders and blades (or the entire skates for that matter) than an armature player. Looking at the design of both holders/runners, it is pretty obvious that if you get a hefty slapshot in the blade, the VH holder/blade will most likely survive, while Edge will most likely require a surgery. On the other hand how often you get a stiff shot in the holders?

Yeah - agree w the "pairing" part of those. However, how long has VH been making holders? or Step been making holders? 

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I've sharpened a lot that are skates purchased from a LHS and have never had the steel changed in them. The Edge flop is the term we use when you put the boot into the clamp and it sinks down.....

Is it possible that skaters don't realize that they have this issue with the LS Edge that's affecting the quality of their skating even though it's quite apparent to a sharpener like yourself that the blade is not as solidly held as on a LS2 holder after a certain period?

Edited by Larry54

1 hour ago, S5281 said:

Yeah - agree w the "pairing" part of those. However, how long has VH been making holders? or Step been making holders? 

Step have not been making the holder for longer than about a year or two. But it is pretty evident that they base the design on Graf Cobra holders. By the way, I am not saying this just because where the retainer screw is, I am actually comparing the runners. In the front, you have an oversize "fin" similar to LS2 or LS3, or Graf, they all basicaly the same with Graf being the largest, LS2 a little smaller, Edge the smallest, but because of the triangular shape, there is no real stress point, so all those should be very strong (and are).

If you look at the rear. LS2 and Graf as well as the VH, have a "claw" which receives the retainer lug. Graf and VH runner are basically identical at the rear end, LS3 has a slightly different design. Both sides of the claw are the same and have very small amount of "meet" at the top and are fairly narrow. They are under the retainer screw stress straight up. A good impact in the right space, either snaps one of the off or the lug simply breaks through out from the claw sending the runner flying (as seeing in about a dozen cases during 2015-2016 NHL season and prior). If you look at this claw in Garf or VH, you see that the stress is on the angle, in addition to it, tehre is much more meat on the top half of the claw and the bottom half is basically the runners body and is unbreakable.

If you look at Edge, it does not have claw, but instead has a "dog-leg" with fairly pronounced knee which is also is the likely fracture point (any sharp angle in still creates one). Once again, a right impact sends that runner flying (as seeing in a number of incidents during 2016-2017 NHL season). Add ti that a possible wobble problem and it is kind of a compromise between integrity and convenience of quick replacement.

Now those are just my observations and opinions, not a certain fact or anything, but the only way I know Graf loose their runners, is after the retainer screw is vibrated unscrewed and out (which I believe is addressed by VH design).

Here is the little picture for visual (blacks are the Graf runners, which are also would cover nicely for VH runner whose image I do not have handy)

s-l1000.png

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Is it possible that skaters don't realize that they have this issue with the LS Edge that's affecting the quality of their skating even though it's quite apparent to a sharpener like yourself that the blade is not as solidly held as on a LS2 holder after a certain period?

Yes, you hit the nail on the head there. Most skaters have no clue the holder is opening up, it's not till we point it out that they realise something is wrong. If you drop your skates off to a shop and don't see them getting sharpened and the sharpener does not tell you then unless you know to look for this you would not have a clue (and I reckon that would be 99.9% of the skating population out there). And as an aside a Sparx would hide this issue, I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, just that if you used a Sparx you would have to check in other ways as opposed to a traditional sharpening method to highlight the problem.

• Like 1

Just ordered a pair yesterday.4-6 weeks delivery. I went with no holder, planning to go LS2 with Step Steel. For the tongue I took the classic one -- is that comparable to the old One90/One95 Tongue?

15 hours ago, 02m3smg said:

Just ordered a pair yesterday.4-6 weeks delivery. I went with no holder, planning to go LS2 with Step Steel. For the tongue I took the classic one -- is that comparable to the old One90/One95 Tongue?

I’d say that the classic tongue is longer and thicker than a stock One95 tongue but not as thick as the old Bauer 4000/Bauer Comp felt tongue.