Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

This may be a silly question and I admit that I've not read through all 113 pages on the topic, but where can you order these skates from online? I can't find any information  on the true-hockey.com website.  I recall the ordering process set out on the old vH site being quite straightforward. 

Ps, I'm based in Australia so visiting hockey retailers that stock True skates aren't an option. 

5 hours ago, goudgey said:

This may be a silly question and I admit that I've not read through all 113 pages on the topic, but where can you order these skates from online? I can't find any information  on the true-hockey.com website.  I recall the ordering process set out on the old vH site being quite straightforward. 

Ps, I'm based in Australia so visiting hockey retailers that stock True skates aren't an option. 

You have to go to a dealer now for fitting. I think you can do the older tracing method if you contact them but not sure.

On 11/18/2017 at 6:29 AM, goudgey said:

There are dealers in OZ

On 20/11/2017 at 10:18 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

There are dealers in OZ

Really? I couldn’t find any information about this on the True website. Can you please point me in the right direction? 

Got my skates in the other day. Took about 4 weeks. Got scanned etc at Cyclone Tylor Sports in Vancouver. 

The pair of skates I've had for the better part of 8 years is the Bauer one100 which I haven't had much issues with. I've had some minor pressure points when walking on them but nothing really while skating. My right foot is slightly smaller than my left so that was always noticeable for me in those skates, but nothing major. Unlike some or the people who own the VH, I didn't necessarily have to have these skates as most off the rack brands would have sufficed, however, the price point to me was reasonable considering they are the same price as any top end skate out there.  Lately, I've only been hitting the ice once a week or so. 

I Got them baked and swapped the laces for some waxed ones. Haven't had a chance to hit the ice with them, as I am getting the steel profiled to a Quad Zero with a 9/16 hollow which is my current setup on my ls4/tuuk setup.  I will be interested to see how different, not only the boot is but the holder/steel setup will be. 

I went with the stock black, standard tongue, but chose to get the tongue embroidered. 

Have to say they feel great just trying them on around the house after heat molding. The weight is definitely heavier than my one100s. This is probably attributed to the added rubber/plastic of the True vs VH probably

Regarding the finish of the product, definitely an upgrade from the VHs I've seen but still the odd glue residue here and there.  I also noticed part of the rubber that wraps under the sole had separated. Not sure of this was due to the heat from baking or just wasn't properly pressed down during manufacturing.  I was able to push the piece down and noticed there was glue that was still tacky and it stuck back on and has not lifted since.  I will keep an eye on this and worst case I'll just re glue it myself. 

I will update once I have skated on them since I will be going to a stick and puck session on Wednesday. 

If I don't like the step holders, I am going to get black tuuk holders and swap the laces for yellow ones 😀

7UO2luL.jpg

Ks5sWY9.jpgj4sd5pr.jpg2KaT4QM.jpgAZSduUh.jpgO719RQU.jpgA9zGxMr.jpg

• Like 5

Man, all these pictures are making me really jealous. I have been planning on ordering a pair, but my wife told me I need to wait until after Christmas. Guess I might be getting money as a gift from someone to make it a reality. Can't wait. 

Have fun with them, they look amazing. 

Sounds like a 4 week turnaround is the given timeframe currently? TSR gave me a 6-8 week turnaround based on holidays and being in season. They said they would rather up the timeframe than under estimate.  I got scanned and ordered on 11/3, so I'm approaching 5 weeks this coming Friday. Hoping to receive mine soon as well as my current skates are slowly falling apart faster and faster.

18 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I Got them baked and swapped the laces for some waxed ones.

Might find you don't need/want waxed laces. I used to always use waxed laces until I started using VH (and now True). I found that with VH I was prone to making them too tight with waxed laces. Even now, 3 or 4 years later, I still catch myself forgetting that I don't need to and making them too tight every now and then.

Something I've been noticing with True skates (I actually just ordered a pair recently) is that it seems like some pairs are being made with an extra "cup" on the heel and some are made without it (see the heel of Sniper9's skates for reference). 

The trend I THINK I'm seeing is that if you go with a True/Step Holder they put in a 'heel cup'; if you go Tuuks they don't? Can anyone confirm, or perhaps this is more based on your foot shape? You can see on Instagram that most True skates with Tuuks don't have this heel cup. 

Wondering because I've pulled the trigger on an order but intend to put Tuuks on as soon as I receive them - checking if I need to reach out to True before it gets too late. 

46 minutes ago, AfftonDad said:

Might find you don't need/want waxed laces. I used to always use waxed laces until I started using VH (and now True). I found that with VH I was prone to making them too tight with waxed laces. Even now, 3 or 4 years later, I still catch myself forgetting that I don't need to and making them too tight every now and then.

Truth. I used to have to pull to get my skates tight. Now my laces are pretty much just snug enough that there's no slack. 

3 minutes ago, NextBobbyOrr said:

Something I've been noticing with True skates (I actually just ordered a pair recently) is that it seems like some pairs are being made with an extra "cup" on the heel and some are made without it (see the heel of Sniper9's skates for reference). 

The trend I THINK I'm seeing is that if you go with a True/Step Holder they put in a 'heel cup'; if you go Tuuks they don't? Can anyone confirm, or perhaps this is more based on your foot shape? You can see on Instagram that most True skates with Tuuks don't have this heel cup. 

Wondering because I've pulled the trigger on an order but intend to put Tuuks on as soon as I receive them - checking if I need to reach out to True before it gets too late. 

That's correct. You can't get Tuuks from True so they leave off the heel cup. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Truth. I used to have to pull to get my skates tight. Now my laces are pretty much just snug enough that there's no slack. 

That's correct. You can't get Tuuks from True so they leave off the heel cup. 

What is the benefit of the heel cup? Is it just aesthetic? 

xyfk9.jpg

I’m very impressed with how well these turned out. They fit amazingly well. It’s like my heel pops into the skate and is just locked in. Tomorrow is my first skate with them and I’m sure I’ll have more to say about them after. 

• Like 3

On 12/5/2017 at 11:46 AM, AfftonDad said:

I like the waxed laces because they look better more than anything. I don't like how non waxed laces are thicker and almost "poofy" looking if that makes sense.  You are right though, I barely have to tighten the laces to get a snug fit.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:29 PM, NextBobbyOrr said:

If you want to put Tuuks, you basically order the boot only as True does not mount non Step holders.  So when you get just the boot it doesn't come with the heel cup.  I suppose you can always just request it if you want it.  Looks like more aesthetics than anything but it does protect the heal as well, although it's not a very thick piece of plastic.

So i took the skates for a test run today at Stick and Puck for about an hour.  I have to say that it is unlike anything I have ever worn for skating.  It feels like a comfortable work boot, yet firm and stable.  It will take some getting used to the feel as it's different but not in a bad way.

The heel is lock is very good.  Way better than my one100s.  The right skate might need to be re molded around the heel cup as it was a touch less locked in than the left.  The left fits 100% perfect, but the right (due to my right foot being slightly smaller), was just a touch off (I'd say 95% perfect).  I do have pretty skinny ankles/calves.  For both my skates, my big toe just slightly brushed the inside of the toe cap so I know the size/length was pretty much to the T.

As for the skating, it felt comfortable off the bat, just doing forward skating and cross overs etc.  I definitely noticed I felt the ice under my feet more while skating due to the monocoque boot.  You can feel every bump on the ice.  I didn't notice more bite like others have experienced with the same hollow I've always used.  I think it is more the sensory side of things that makes you think your skates are biting more into the ice than it actually is.  I took some hard turns and felt very balanced, and never felt like I would bottom out, which I have a number of times with my one100s with the same hollow and profile.

Near the end of the session, I tried working the skates more by skating backwards and at higher speeds.  I found the forward flexion limited and skating backwards was awkward because of the lack of knee bend.  I'd like to mention that I tightened the eyelets with the same tension from the bottom up, which was a mistake.  When I loosened up the top two eyelets to just barely any slack, it resolved the problem and still provided a snug fit.

The only discomfort I felt was minor soreness in my left arch near the end of the session.  I am going to go for another skate to see if it happens again and if it does, I will modify the red footbed like Scott shows in his videos.

So all in all, I am very pleased with the skate.  Going to tinker with the right skate a bit but nothing major.  Even if I'm unable to lock the right heel more than it is right now, I am still happy.  It is still a huge upgrade in terms of fit compared to my one 100s.  

Mind you I am not losing my mind over these skates like most people only because I never really had any major issues with off the shelf skates in the past.  The only real issue is that my right foot is about half a size smaller than my left, which I noticed a lot with my one100s.  I noticed that the insoles that True provided me were different sizes.  Left was an 8 and the Right was a 7, so they obviously took that into account.  I currently have the yellow superfeet insoles in them but I am curious to see how the stock true insoles feel like even though most have said to ditch them for the superfeet.

The verdict on the Step holder is still out there.  I am going to give it until the new year to see whether I like them or not.  I don't want to swap em out too soon as the difference in feeling could be solely due to the fact these skates itself need some getting used to.  But I'm probably going to find any excuse to get black Tuuks with Blacksteel, and slap on some yellow laces :D

For the price you pay, I get why people expect a boot that fits 100% and is pain free right from the first bake.  But aside from getting an actual cast mold made of your feet, this process isn't fool proof.  However, I believe the price is extremely reasonable for something that is hand made, made in Canada, and customized for YOU.

Like others, it will be interesting to see if durability is an issue.  I only play rec hockey 1-2 times a week max so it better last as long as my one100s have!

Edited by Sniper9

I wonder if the heel cup acts as a shim on the rear tower to adjust the pitch of the Step holder. Maybe the Step holder has a negative pitch and needs the heel cup to give it a neutral pitch equivalent to LS holders?

Edited by Larry54

12 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I wonder if the heel cup acts as a shim on the rear tower to adjust the pitch of the Step holder. Maybe the Step holder has a negative pitch and needs the heel cup to give it a neutral pitch equivalent to LS holders?

Don't think that's it. It's barely any lift. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Don't think that's it. It's barely any lift. 

So if it's not for lift, why not have them on all the skates whether someone orders them with Step holders or just the boots to put TUUK holders on them?

39 minutes ago, Buddy said:

So if it's not for lift, why not have them on all the skates whether someone orders them with Step holders or just the boots to put TUUK holders on them?

Maybe you should email them and ask

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Maybe you should email them and ask

From True:

"Our TRUE heel piece is only mounted with our TRUE Holder here at the factory. We do not supply the TRUE heel piece on boot only purchases.

IMG_3351_zpsj3iwedld.jpgIMG_3353_zpshxeccqbz.jpgIMG_3350_zpsbwaeudaj.jpg

IMG_3352_zpsmt08t67s.jpg

Love the Skates, They Feel Unreal, Just a Question? Mine are extremely hard to get on and off. Like it hurts. They feel unreal when im out skating, just tough to get them On especially. Anyone else have this issue? 

Edited by GregHenn19