Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

Neither do I.

Skaters in True that have come over from Bauer and skipped eyelets in Bauer still skip eyelets in True boots. Some skip eyelets in True boots where they didn't in previous skates. I think that's a credit to True, achieving a sufficiently supportive fit without making the boots as high as other brands, yet I think it also shows there's room for an even more aggressive cut to the top of the skate.

Couldn't one make the argument that people coming over to True from the "big brands" probably weren't in a custom skate? Couldn't one further argue, maybe those people were never in a boot that fit them properly in the first place? Filter through this board and you will see literally hundreds of posts asking for help with skate fittings. 

My point, its not really apples to apples. Think about the difference between a custom tailored suit and something you'd buy off the rack. Even at the same price point that custom tailored suit will always fit better because it's made specifically for you.

I just find the whole comparison thing a bit disingenuous. For the most part, people are comparing retail boots to something that was built specificity for them. 

Edited by stick9

A little update on my situation. Which has ended on a good note. I got my right skate to fit the way I want it. And it was pretty simple, afterall. 

1) I actually ditched the red footbeds altogether and ran with just the superfeet carbon pro. The extra volume without the red footbeds actually created more room for a proper heel lock. Ironically, the increased volume with the red footbed and the heel lift of the superfeet made things kind of wonky.  It was just weird that the combo didn't really affect my left foot/skate, but like I said my right foot has more pronation and always had fit issues vs my left. 

2) I also noticed that swapping the tongues from the left made the right skate feel much more snug.  And having the right tongue on the left skate made the left side feel off as well. When I compared the two tongues the right tongue seemed thinner and had deeper creases. 
I attributed this to that tongue being heated up a number of times when it was baked with the right skate 
What i ended up doing was I heated up the tongue in the oven.  After it was heated up, it retained it's regular shape and removed the creases, and once cooled, it was back to it's regular form/stiffness. 

So doing the above two things, I was able to get the right to fit the way I wanted to, and glad it all worked out. When to a skate and puck session today to test it out and was extremely happy with the fit and comfort. 
  • Like 7

41 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

A little update on my situation. Which has ended on a good note. I got my right skate to fit the way I want it. And it was pretty simple, afterall. 

1) I actually ditched the red footbeds altogether and ran with just the superfeet carbon pro. The extra volume without the red footbeds actually created more room for a proper heel lock. Ironically, the increased volume with the red footbed and the heel lift of the superfeet made things kind of wonky.  It was just weird that the combo didn't really affect my left foot/skate, but like I said my right foot has more pronation and always had fit issues vs my left. 

2) I also noticed that swapping the tongues from the left made the right skate feel much more snug.  And having the right tongue on the left skate made the left side feel off as well. When I compared the two tongues the right tongue seemed thinner and had deeper creases. 
I attributed this to that tongue being heated up a number of times when it was baked with the right skate 
What i ended up doing was I heated up the tongue in the oven.  After it was heated up, it retained it's regular shape and removed the creases, and once cooled, it was back to it's regular form/stiffness. 

So doing the above two things, I was able to get the right to fit the way I wanted to, and glad it all worked out. When to a skate and puck session today to test it out and was extremely happy with the fit and comfort. 

Awesome! Great to hear it! 

• Like 1

On 19 December 2017 at 4:10 PM, Sniper9 said:

You find the thick felt limited range of motion? And also fit of the skate?  And did you have to rebake due to the thicker tongue. 

That's what I got in the first place.

I was quite used to the super stiff Vapour Tounge, so love it!

On 12/19/2017 at 10:35 PM, stick9 said:

Couldn't one make the argument that people coming over to True from the "big brands" probably weren't in a custom skate? Couldn't one further argue, maybe those people were never in a boot that fit them properly in the first place? Filter through this board and you will see literally hundreds of posts asking for help with skate fittings. 

My point, its not really apples to apples. Think about the difference between a custom tailored suit and something you'd buy off the rack. Even at the same price point that custom tailored suit will always fit better because it's made specifically for you.

I just find the whole comparison thing a bit disingenuous. For the most part, people are comparing retail boots to something that was built specificity for them. 

Not really applicable in this case: I was thinking specifically of Silfverberg and Haula as Bauer skaters who've converted to True and continue to skip the top eyelet, as well as Chara and Kalinin who used to lace all the way up and now skip the top eyelets in their Trues.

That is apples to apples: the same skate wearers in different skates; probably almost as custom tailored in their pre-True days.

The tailoring analogy is useful. It's like Armani: you shrink the suit to the frame and some trimming is involved to compensate for the lost volume. In this case, the tailor is so good that I think True could trim the boots from the top a bit. To continue the analogy, unless it's for style, why skip the top eyelets rather than tailor the skate to have just the amount of support necessary? It'd be like getting measured for a custom suit only to find that it comes with a standard extra length leg in a highly cut resistant fabric. It's an element of prêt-à-porter on a custom outfit which doesn't cohere in my mind.

Even though they're lower cut, the overall amount or degree of support in True skates seems to correspond roughly to that of other skates, which makes sense from a business standpoint, but stops short of realizing the true potential of the product. That was the extent of my "comparison" to other skates--not really a comparison as it treats both True and non-True skates as black boxes and simply looks at how they're worn.

To be clear, I think True makes the best skates available, and still would in my mind if they did simply offer a standard boot to go up against what other brands offer. I just think there are a few areas where they can further improve an already spectacular skate.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1

I'm a bit late to the party on these- quick questions for the VH gurus after digging through 115+ pages:

- My favorite boot of all time is the old Bauer One90- it's the last retail boot I could lace all the way to the top eyelet and I think it helped springboard the "no negative space" wave along with MLX IIRC. Would these be somewhat similar?

- How is the pitch on these compared to Graf? I had 703s and 735s way back and absolutely hated the "on the toes" feeling they provided. Neutral to negative Bauer pitch has always worked (with some profiling to fine tune) Is this something Vh/True would be able to accomodate when constructing the insole/outsole? I'd be ordering them undrilled for LS Edge installation. Thanks guys. 

Hi guys,

does anyone know where I can get replacement tongues for the original VH skates? Mine are broken down beyond belief. Also, where can I get TRUE skates done if I don't have access to a shop to do the scan? I live in SE Asia.

Thanks, Mark

2 hours ago, salibandy said:

Hi guys,

does anyone know where I can get replacement tongues for the original VH skates? Mine are broken down beyond belief. Also, where can I get TRUE skates done if I don't have access to a shop to do the scan? I live in SE Asia.

Thanks, Mark

Mark, I work and play hockey in Qatar and one of our goalies is friends with the True Pro Rep. I'll speak with Mark (Goalie) and see if his friend has any plans to go to SE Asia. It might be worth it as he came here to Doha and 14 guys were scanned and ordered the skates. It's my understanding it can be done with tracing your foot and pictures. If where you're at has a League maybe more guys would be interested and it would be a good trip for him. I'll check for you. BTW when I'm not working in Qatar I live in Thailand.

11 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

My favorite boot of all time is the old Bauer One90- it's the last retail boot I could lace all the way to the top eyelet and I think it helped springboard the "no negative space" wave along with MLX IIRC. Would these be somewhat similar?

I can lace the True up to the top eyelet without issue. It feels closer to the One90 than the newer Supremes (techmesh 180), but better,

Update on my issue with the right tongue:

-Resolved by baking the tongue for 5-6 minutes at 180-200, then lacing up the skate again. No pain at all last night.
-Also per another suggestion on here I also swapped out the red/regular footbeds and replaced them with my old Superfeet carbons.
-Went for a skate this morning and no issues!
-Zero soreness after as I am typing this; they feel "broken in" now after 7-8 hours of skating although the fitment was great out of the box
-True service was also involved in this case and they were very supportive; I would include picture of the foot having issue and circling problematic areas and also describing the problem.

If you need to purchase the replacement tongue email True service. Price came out to be $40 CAD each plus tax so roughly $100 CAD.

28 minutes ago, hollowicked said:

the more I follow this thread the more it makes me want to pull the trigger on a pair, does anyone know for sure if they stopped taking foot tracings? 

They still take tracings

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reddevilpara said:

Mark, I work and play hockey in Qatar and one of our goalies is friends with the True Pro Rep. I'll speak with Mark (Goalie) and see if his friend has any plans to go to SE Asia. It might be worth it as he came here to Doha and 14 guys were scanned and ordered the skates. It's my understanding it can be done with tracing your foot and pictures. If where you're at has a League maybe more guys would be interested and it would be a good trip for him. I'll check for you. BTW when I'm not working in Qatar I live in Thailand.

Mate, that would be great if the rep would be able to come here. A couple of the guys in the leagues here already wear the older VH skates, and there's always been a buzz about the skates. I'd appreciate your help on this.

11 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

They still take tracings

Is that so? I don't see an option to order online, other than through various retailers. Would I have to go through them?

18 minutes ago, salibandy said:

Mate, that would be great if the rep would be able to come here. A couple of the guys in the leagues here already wear the older VH skates, and there's always been a buzz about the skates. I'd appreciate your help on this.

Is that so? I don't see an option to order online, other than through various retailers. Would I have to go through them?

Correct you have to go through a dealer now.

Just had my True skates come in! Having Tuuks put on them as we speak and I’ll ideally be heat molding them today. Can’t wait to fit them and give my feedback, just undecided between trying the stock True insoles or skipping right to my Superfeet Carbons (I have a brutal pronation).

57 minutes ago, NextBobbyOrr said:

Just had my True skates come in! Having Tuuks put on them as we speak and I’ll ideally be heat molding them today. Can’t wait to fit them and give my feedback, just undecided between trying the stock True insoles or skipping right to my Superfeet Carbons (I have a brutal pronation).

Congrats! When did you order them? Keep us posted on your thoughts.

1 hour ago, NextBobbyOrr said:

Assuming you had True accommodate for your pronation (I hope so, that's kind of the point of custom molded skates) you should stick with the stock insoles as you won't need additional support. 

58 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Congrats! When did you order them? Keep us posted on your thoughts.

I actually got really lucky (I think), I ordered them at the start of December (I think the 1st or 2nd). I'm surprised with how fast they came in; perhaps it's because I asked for the holder/steel to not be mounted. 

9 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Assuming you had True accommodate for your pronation (I hope so, that's kind of the point of custom molded skates) you should stick with the stock insoles as you won't need additional support. 

I'll definitely start off without them. Just weird to think about honestly, I've been relying on superfeet for nearly three years. Gotta be open about this though! 

28 minutes ago, NextBobbyOrr said:

I actually got really lucky (I think), I ordered them at the start of December (I think the 1st or 2nd). I'm surprised with how fast they came in; perhaps it's because I asked for the holder/steel to not be mounted. 

I'll definitely start off without them. Just weird to think about honestly, I've been relying on superfeet for nearly three years. Gotta be open about this though! 

Did you tell True about the pronation?

20 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Did you tell True about the pronation?

I believe I made a note of it in the order form; I honestly can't remember. It ended up being a little bit more rushed than I would have liked, but we'll just hope for the best!

34 minutes ago, NextBobbyOrr said:

I believe I made a note of it in the order form; I honestly can't remember. It ended up being a little bit more rushed than I would have liked, but we'll just hope for the best!

Hopefully! Because they can definitely add that support right into the boot for you. 

15 hours ago, 02m3smg said:

I can lace the True up to the top eyelet without issue. It feels closer to the One90 than the newer Supremes (techmesh 180), but better,

Update on my issue with the right tongue:

-Resolved by baking the tongue for 5-6 minutes at 180-200, then lacing up the skate again. No pain at all last night.
-Also per another suggestion on here I also swapped out the red/regular footbeds and replaced them with my old Superfeet carbons.
-Went for a skate this morning and no issues!
-Zero soreness after as I am typing this; they feel "broken in" now after 7-8 hours of skating although the fitment was great out of the box
-True service was also involved in this case and they were very supportive; I would include picture of the foot having issue and circling problematic areas and also describing the problem.

If you need to purchase the replacement tongue email True service. Price came out to be $40 CAD each plus tax so roughly $100 CAD.

I was also quoted 80 a pair.

When I re heated my tongue I didn't lace it and let it cool so it wouldn't have any lace marks molded to it. After a couple bakes the tongues got creased to the point where it caused me some laces bite type pinching. After I baked the tongue and let it cool, it was nice and thick again and provided the padding I wanted. 

It's funny how much of a difference ditching the red footbed makes but I guess the footbed system is meant to work with the red and true insole, and something like the superfeet will throw the dimensions off too much. I am just glad I figured out what works for me and am very happy with the fit. 

I didn't like the stock insole because it felt too spongey and I guess I was just too used to the superfeet having used it for years. 

Little bummed that I got scanned on 11/3/17 and yesterday was 7 weeks and still no word on my order. The True factory closes from 12/23-1/2/18. So it looks like I have a few more weeks at least until I receive my order. One thing that would be beneficial is if True had some form of an order tracker on their website to follow the progress of an order.