Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

So, I am about to place an order for skates sometime in the next week. My question for those of you who have them is, what are the available options to me ie, things like tongue thickness and color, type of liner, etc. and what would you recommend? I know a lot of these things are matter of preference but I would like to be a little bit more knowledgeable about my options when I walk into the store. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

39 minutes ago, chocks86 said:

So, I am about to place an order for skates sometime in the next week. My question for those of you who have them is, what are the available options to me ie, things like tongue thickness and color, type of liner, etc. and what would you recommend? I know a lot of these things are matter of preference but I would like to be a little bit more knowledgeable about my options when I walk into the store. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Black or white tongue felt, color, and tongue embroidery. Also do you want the step holder or no holder. That’s about it.

Choices of tongues. Once thicker than the other and has a bit of a shot blocker built into itYou have 2 Choices of tongues. Once thicker than the other and has a bit of a shot blocker built into it.  As well you can get shot blockers built into the states. 

Edited by Monsoon

I've been playing around with the skates more and at the moment am settled with using the stock red+blue insole. Arch pain is minimal though I feel like the heel lock on my right foot could be better (and yes, I have remolded it). Going to keep experimenting with them for a while, once I get the lock dialled in the skates will be near perfect. 

Edited by NextBobbyOrr

21 hours ago, chocks86 said:

I went about a week ago. You can:

- Get stock white/black tongues or go with a thinner tongue

- Can get a tongue with more impact protection (I think was $50)

- Add color on the side either white, silver, red, or blue ($25)

- Embroidery on the tongue 3 letters or numbers ($25)

- Impact protection on the sides ($50)

I think that was it, most of the additions ranged from $25-50 more, I was thinking about getting the shot blockers but decided against it. Can't wait to get mine.

1 hour ago, VinDeez said:

I went about a week ago. You can:

- Get stock white/black tongues or go with a thinner tongue

- Can get a tongue with more impact protection (I think was $50)

- Add color on the side either white, silver, red, or blue ($25)

- Embroidery on the tongue 3 letters or numbers ($25)

- Impact protection on the sides ($50)

I think that was it, most of the additions ranged from $25-50 more, I was thinking about getting the shot blockers but decided against it. Can't wait to get mine.

What is the base price? What’d you end up paying if you don’t mind me asking? 

2 hours ago, jared9356 said:

What is the base price? What’d you end up paying if you don’t mind me asking? 

I'm in Canada base price for boot with their holders and steel is $999. I think without holders is 899. Pro Hockey Life was running a 15% off everything sale so I paid 980 with tax. The only option I added was color, I went with their holders and steel.

Edited by VinDeez

2 hours ago, jared9356 said:

I’m sure there’s a few posts about this here but has anyone here that was a Mako user experienced Mako bump like symptoms with VH? 

I’ve used both and no. The Mako bump issue (abrasion) was actually solved with the Mako II anyway. 

9 hours ago, NextBobbyOrr said:

I've been playing around with the skates more and at the moment am settled with using the stock red+blue insole. Arch pain is minimal though I feel like the heel lock on my right foot could be better (and yes, I have remolded it). Going to keep experimenting with them for a while, once I get the lock dialled in the skates will be near perfect. 

Sounds like what I went through. For me, I found removing the red foot bed worked best for getting a better fit /lock for my right skate around the ankle and heel. Also if you bake ur skates a number of times your tongue can get overly creased so it might be a good idea to reheat the tongue only to get it's normal shape back which helps with unflattening the tongue. Lastly, I moved my tongue a bit down so it would decrease a lot of the volume above the toes. 

I got this quote for prices from a Canadian shop:

here are the costs (all are CDN funds)

True player skate with stock blades $999.99 

True one piece goal skate $999.99

True 2 piece goal skate $899.99

True player skate with Tuuk lightspeed edge holders and LS3 steel $1049.99

LS4 steel $1069.99

Tydan stainless steel $1069.99 (add $25 for engraving)

Tydan black steel $1099.99 (add $25 for engraving)

color on eyelet row +$40

extra side protection +$50

tongue embroidery $40

-all above pricing is +shipping($125) and taxes(12%). payment is at time order is confirmed and placed.

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Can anyone confirm if the True holders for goalie and player skates are indeed the same (other than the cutout at the toe end for the toe ties)? 

Wouldn't that make them different then? What do you mean "same?"

7 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Wouldn't that make them different then? What do you mean "same?"

@Zac911 implied or even stated in some previous posts that two piece goalie skates and player skates use exactly the same holder. The blades however are different to make them flatter and have more contact front and back like goalie skates traditionally are expected to be. The holder toe cutouts are visible in the players holder and are basically knock-outs.

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

@Zac911 implied or even stated in some previous posts that two piece goalie skates and player skates use exactly the same holder. The blades however are different to make them flatter and have more contact front and back like goalie skates traditionally are expected to be. The holder toe cutouts are visible in the players holder and are basically knock-outs.

LOL yes obviously the goalie runners are different. I was really just wondering if the goalie and player steel was interchangeable. For the RARE time I would skate out (I've been on player skates ONCE in the last 1.5 years, for Winterfest 2016) it would be cool to not need two pairs of skates. 

So, I got them ordered at Hockeymonkey today. Added the T-guard black tongue plus number embroidery which brought the total price to 999.99 USD. Process was really easy and quick. Was told it would be around 45 days, maybe a little sooner until they are shipped to the store to be picked up. Just playing the waiting game now, and I hate that game. 

20 hours ago, salibandy said:

I got this quote for prices from a Canadian shop:

here are the costs (all are CDN funds)

True player skate with stock blades $999.99 

True one piece goal skate $999.99

True 2 piece goal skate $899.99

True player skate with Tuuk lightspeed edge holders and LS3 steel $1049.99

LS4 steel $1069.99

Tydan stainless steel $1069.99 (add $25 for engraving)

Tydan black steel $1099.99 (add $25 for engraving)

color on eyelet row +$40

extra side protection +$50

tongue embroidery $40

-all above pricing is +shipping($125) and taxes(12%). payment is at time order is confirmed and placed.

They don't offer the TUUK holder with step steel?

I know it can't be sold in the US, so I guess they don't offer it even if its shipped from Canada?

6 minutes ago, g3k said:

I know it can't be sold in the US, so I guess they don't offer it even if its shipped from Canada?

They don’t offer any holder besides Step. 

7 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

They don’t offer any holder besides Step. 

I was asking based off of salibandy's post.

Edited by g3k

I'm in Canada and if a customer wants different holders or steel we order boot only and do the installation of tuuks and steel in house, True/VH doesn't even supply it.

6 minutes ago, g3k said:

I was asking based off of salibandy's post.

Yep, and my statement still applies. If he was given those quotes then that was the store doing add-ons.

12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

LOL yes obviously the goalie runners are different. I was really just wondering if the goalie and player steel was interchangeable. For the RARE time I would skate out (I've been on player skates ONCE in the last 1.5 years, for Winterfest 2016) it would be cool to not need two pairs of skates. 

Even if the holder is the same. The boot won't have the tendon guard. Is the tongue also different for the goal skates?

8 hours ago, g3k said:

Apparently, Step Blacksteel (which I wanted) is sold out so I wouldn't be able to get it from them. Also, this shop is pushing Tydan quite strongly, so that's probably why they quoted me for Tydan.

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Even if the holder is the same. The boot won't have the tendon guard. Is the tongue also different for the goal skates?

Tongue is the same. I don't care if theres no tendon guard.