Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

On 1/7/2018 at 12:18 PM, hollowicked said:

Wow what a skate

IMG_20180107_121608.jpg

Wow those blades have some substance.  How is the forward flex of the boot?  The white area on the heel , looks like it' between the tuuk and the boot. Is that a spacer? 

Edited by Playmakersedge
Added a question
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

For those who ordered the boots only from True, were holes for the holders already pre drilled?

I ordered mine with the True holders, but the guys at Pro Hockey said that True would send them pre drilled for Tuuks if I wanted.

30 minutes ago, jasongos said:

Are the hole patterns identical between Tuuk holders and the True holders?

They said different. I didn't really inspect in person that closely.

• Like 1

Man those black LS look awesome.  I am tempted to get those on my Trues but I always felt that black holders make choppy skaters (like moi) look worse so I have stayed away from them since the Bauer Comp days.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

... I always felt that black holders make choppy skaters (like moi) look worse so I have stayed away from them since the Bauer Comp days.

Plus you are not exceptional, you are more likely to pick up a few chirps on the way...

2 hours ago, VinDeez said:

They said different. I didn't really inspect in person that closely.

The lhs that did mine said the holes match but the size or the holes needed to be beveled a bit to accommodate. So it's likely the holes line up very close but not identical. 

I wonder if it's going to be an issue if I try to reverse it back to the step holders. 

50 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Plus you are not exceptional, you are more likely to pick up a few chirps on the way...

Have you even seen me play?  Haha :laugh:

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

The lhs that did mine said the holes match but the size or the holes needed to be beveled a bit to accommodate. So it's likely the holes line up very close but not identical. 

I wonder if it's going to be an issue if I try to reverse it back to the step holders. 

A heads up folks  , it sounds like the lhs had to increase the size of the holes to accommodate the tuuk.  Either it was increased overall or had be elongated  .   The heads up:: the rivets that are not the copper are designed to work with a hole the diameter of the rivet . The way those rivets work is they are hallow and inside the boot the arbor cuts and crushes the rivet to clamp . With a larger hole there is less surface area to hold the rivet.  Not good  , it' significantly weaker ..... The fix is to use copper : two in the rear of the heel, two in the front of the heel... two in the rear of the front,  two in the toe .  This will insure no catastrophic failure  . I have seen blade holders rip from boots  twice and it resulted in ugly tibia and fibula break .     Just a heads up.    

Also every time the aluminum rivets are pressed out they make the hole a little larger .the increase in the amount of copper rivets used will make this safe too. 

Edited by Playmakersedge
Added thought

2 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

MEH... Builds character.  I will never understand being afraid of being chirped... I thought we were tough??? 

• Like 2

Sorry to ask this again guys- I think it may have been lost as this is a super active thread. Hopefully ordering my first pair this weekend: 

How is the pitch on these compared to Graf? I had 703s and 735s way back and absolutely hated the "on the toes" feeling they provided. Neutral to negative Bauer pitch has always worked. Is this something Vh/True would be able to explicitly accomodate when constructing the insole/outsole? I'd be ordering them undrilled for LS Edge installation.

Another obvious solution is profiling or lifts but I'd prefer to have the neutral pitch built into the boot/holder as opposed to having to rely on someone sharpening my skates at a consistently high level. I don't trust most of the shops near me to be able to do that without butchering prior work. 

1 hour ago, Cavs019 said:

Sorry to ask this again guys- I think it may have been lost as this is a super active thread. Hopefully ordering my first pair this weekend: 

How is the pitch on these compared to Graf? I had 703s and 735s way back and absolutely hated the "on the toes" feeling they provided. Neutral to negative Bauer pitch has always worked. Is this something Vh/True would be able to explicitly accomodate when constructing the insole/outsole? I'd be ordering them undrilled for LS Edge installation.

Another obvious solution is profiling or lifts but I'd prefer to have the neutral pitch built into the boot/holder as opposed to having to rely on someone sharpening my skates at a consistently high level. I don't trust most of the shops near me to be able to do that without butchering prior work. 

If you're going to put on tuuks it will feel pretty neutral. The stock step holders def have a more forward pitch. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 3:17 PM, Buddy said:

I contacted True twice to get an update on the order. Both times they said to contact the authorized dealer. In which I did and it took a few times unfortunately to hear back. If they would have responded sooner, this would have been caught. Where the mix-up lies doesn't matter at this point. But I hope True sees something like this as an opportunity to improve their sales order process.  An email to the customer notifying them that their scan has been received would be good. Along with some sort of tracking program, or email notification that they have been shipped etc...

True is currently working out the kinks of this. As a dealer we have started getting notifications of rough skate production statuses (order received, part way through production, shipped, etc.) and I will pass this on to customers that want this information. Your dealer definitely should have followed up immediately after the order is placed to ensure everything is received properly, but True is normally exceptionally with customer service so I am sure they will take good care of you here. 

10 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Yes they can accommodate it. I had them put a +3 on mine so they would be like my Makos and VH with CXN holders. They can do it with a shim (if they are putting the holder on) OR in the boot (I had them build it into the boot on mine). However, they told me that the boot and True holder is neutral (relative to Bauer), which is contrary to what I have heard here. So figuring out what pitch to ask them to put on it might be difficult. I got Bauer Edge holders on mine. If I were doing it over I think I would ask them for a +2 (they feel slightly more forward pitched than my VH with CXNs did).

Edited by AfftonDad

1 hour ago, Sk8Stk said:

True is currently working out the kinks of this. As a dealer we have started getting notifications of rough skate production statuses (order received, part way through production, shipped, etc.) and I will pass this on to customers that want this information. Your dealer definitely should have followed up immediately after the order is placed to ensure everything is received properly, but True is normally exceptionally with customer service so I am sure they will take good care of you here. 

Understood, however you'd think TRUE would of provided me with an update when I contacted them. Instead of passing me to the dealer for inquiries. They could of clearly seen that there was no order placed or whatever. I think the ball was dropped with the authorized retailer, not necessarily TRUE.

1 hour ago, Buddy said:

Understood, however you'd think TRUE would of provided me with an update when I contacted them. Instead of passing me to the dealer for inquiries. They could of clearly seen that there was no order placed or whatever. I think the ball was dropped with the authorized retailer, not necessarily TRUE.

If true never got your order or scans what it's there for them to look into?  I guess they could contacted the dealer if you provided them with their info but I'm it seems to me that the dealer was the one lacking the follow-up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

If true never got your order or scans what it's there for them to look into?  I guess they could contacted the dealer if you provided them with their info but I'm it seems to me that the dealer was the one lacking the follow-up

That's kind of what I was thinking. No status to give if they didn't get the order. 

2 hours ago, AfftonDad said:

If I were doing it over I think I would ask them for a +2 (they feel slightly more forward pitched than my VH with CXNs did).

True with Step holders feels MORE forward pitched than VH with CXN? Maybe I'd better ask them for a -1 or something. I had as much of the forward pitch in my Mako/CXN combo removed as possible. 

I think he's saying True +3 forward is slightly more forward than his VH/CXN combo, not True's base pitch. 

Sounds like -1 + TUUKs is probably the ticket for me. 

3 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

I think he's saying True +3 forward is slightly more forward than his VH/CXN combo, not True's base pitch. 

Sounds like -1 + TUUKs is probably the ticket for me. 

Thanks for the clarification! I'll stick to neutral then when I get mine. 

Not sure how much validity to this but when I was in the process of getting my skates I was told the Step holder is basically utilizing the design and steel from the Graf skates that Step had. Since the cobra holders were no longer being produced Step utilized that steel in their own holder. I know the pitch on the cobra holder was forward and aggressive. Again I cannot confirm if this is true or not maybe someone else can chime in.