Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

21 hours ago, Larry54 said:

That just looks like one of the older VH skate models but with True tongues.

vh-skate-player-side.jpg

I wonder if he has bigger feet than Chara who has the regular True toe cap.

zdeno-chara-8fd36a9484325288.jpg

Chara, from what I gather, wears size 11.6 skates. So that chap in the pick definitely has one on Chara... Size 15 skates, size 17 say in shoes.... Baby feet comparing to Shaq's 22. Good think he s not skating, that would have been a weird looking skate fo sure :).

Anyone know if swapping holders more than a couple times will compromise the strength of the outsole of the boot? Or are the true skates not really susceptible to this due to it's monocoque boot and not having a separate outsole that's softer like Bauer does. 

58 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone know if swapping holders more than a couple times will compromise the strength of the outsole of the boot? Or are the true skates not really susceptible to this due to it's monocoque boot and not having a separate outsole that's softer like Bauer does. 

Only really if you're having to re-drill multiple times. 

• Like 1

Picked up my new skates. Went to the store for the baking process and man they get so hot compared to other skates. When I put on the right one the back of the heel liner stuck to my sock and peeled it down. I have a picture just need to figure out how to post. Pretty annoying, I went to the store to make sure this was done properly. The Manager at Hockey Monkey took pictures and said they would reach out to True. That was 5 days ago, still nothing. 

I have now skated twice. I can say they feel a lot different from "regular" skates. Straight line skating is the same but stopping and turning is quite different. The steel feels so much sharper as others have stated. Overall comfort... I don't know jury is still out. Wrap is great, heel lock is great. They feel too short in overall length but maybe I just need to get used to them. My right big toe is sore today from pushing on the front of the boot last night.  Have been trying to figure out what tongue adjustment/length feels best. There is no negative space, zero. 

2 hours ago, JDhouston said:

Picked up my new skates. Went to the store for the baking process and man they get so hot compared to other skates. When I put on the right one the back of the heel liner stuck to my sock and peeled it down. I have a picture just need to figure out how to post. Pretty annoying, I went to the store to make sure this was done properly. The Manager at Hockey Monkey took pictures and said they would reach out to True. That was 5 days ago, still nothing. 

I have now skated twice. I can say they feel a lot different from "regular" skates. Straight line skating is the same but stopping and turning is quite different. The steel feels so much sharper as others have stated. Overall comfort... I don't know jury is still out. Wrap is great, heel lock is great. They feel too short in overall length but maybe I just need to get used to them. My right big toe is sore today from pushing on the front of the boot last night.  Have been trying to figure out what tongue adjustment/length feels best. There is no negative space, zero. 

That is why it is recommended that you use a shoe horn whenever u put on the skates during the heat molding process. I also read that happened to another member on this thread for his goal skates and vh recommended just using loctite gel super glue to glue the liner back on. Hth

I also am going through an adjustment period regarding stopping and turning. A bit frustrating and only time will tell if these are better suited for me than my trusty Bauer's. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

That is why it is recommended that you use a shoe horn whenever u put on the skates during the heat molding process. I also read that happened to another member on this thread for his goal skates and vh recommended just using loctite gel super glue to glue the liner back on. Hth

I also am going through an adjustment period regarding stopping and turning. A bit frustrating and only time will tell if these are better suited for me than my trusty Bauer's. 

That was me, though I did use a shoe horn when baking. The issue occurred days later the first time I put them on. To this day I still use a shoe horn every time I put them on just because it’s easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting scanned for my first pair of True Skates this weekend.  Could someone give me a refresher on the options available for customization?  I'm looking to get the Step Holder w/ Step Blacksteel (unless they'll do a LS4 w/ Blacksteel - but I hear that needs to be aftermarket).  Also looking at getting added shot-blocking protection built in if they still offer that?  Thanks.

they offer the shot blocker, they don't offer black step unless your shop carries it for edge holders and you install those after market. tongue options are also available 

16 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Getting scanned for my first pair of True Skates this weekend.  Could someone give me a refresher on the options available for customization?  I'm looking to get the Step Holder w/ Step Blacksteel (unless they'll do a LS4 w/ Blacksteel - but I hear that needs to be aftermarket).  Also looking at getting added shot-blocking protection built in if they still offer that?  Thanks.

If you are getting the stock step holder, pay the extra to get blacksteel. The stock step steel is far more superior than the ls4 (which they won't have for the step holder since Bauer doesn't make any steel for the step holder)

If you're insistent on the ls4, get tuuks put on, especially if that's what you're used to using. It'll save you the hassle and money of swapping holders in the future. 

Sorry I re read your post and I'm assuming you meant the ls edge holders when you said ls4. In that case. Get the boot only and get the tuuks added on after. Most shops will do the labour for free or minimal charge if you get the holders from them. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Because True Skates are custom lasted , is it highly recommended to use their insoles?  Or would switching out to superfeet, or something, be fine, or would it screw up the custom fit, even if very slightly?

There should be no reason to use anything else. 

On 1/18/2018 at 8:34 PM, IPv6Freely said:

That was me, though I did use a shoe horn when baking. The issue occurred days later the first time I put them on. To this day I still use a shoe horn every time I put them on just because it’s easier.

Good idea, will try the shoe horn.

I follow one of the videos I watched where they put the foot in sideways then turn it the right way. I'm able to slip it on with this method.

1 hour ago, 02m3smg said:

Good idea, will try the shoe horn.

I follow one of the videos I watched where they put the foot in sideways then turn it the right way. I'm able to slip it on with this method.

Yeah I pretty much have to do that as well, with the shoe horn. I have a 3' shoe horn I use so I basically just step into them so I can push harder than I could sitting down. I'm sure I look like an idiot in the dressing room. But, who cares if it works?

4 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Because True Skates are custom lasted , is it highly recommended to use their insoles?  Or would switching out to superfeet, or something, be fine, or would it screw up the custom fit, even if very slightly?

I found mine felt best with superfeet alone without the red footbeds. It's all personal preference. I personally found the stock footbeds too spongey. 

Well, I was a able to pick up my skates at Hockey Monkey today. Walking into the store I was as excited as could be. Walking out was a different story. I have to say I am a little underwhelmed so far with my skates. We unboxed them and everything looked great, so I laced up both skates and they placed them in the oven. Unfortunately I would not get the full benefits of them being baked because when they came out of the oven and I attempted to put them on my foot, I found the tongues to be too fastened too short. Not a True error, and not really a big deal but I did have to unlace a skate that did just come out of a 200 degree oven and reset the tongue. When that was done I was able to finally put them on my feet. When I began to lace up the skates, I found the laces to be about 10 inches too short. I was unable to lace the skates all the way up, had to leave two eyelets undone and was still barely able to tie them. So while I struggled with on skate to be able to get enough lace to tie them, the other was cooling off, off my foot on the floor. I was really not happy. I was told later by a employee at the store who was working in a different area that he has seen the laces issue multiple times lately. I wish I would have been told about that earlier before we put them in the oven. Anyway, I swapped out the laces and decided that it be best that I come back tomorrow and do a rebake, as I didn't want to bake them back to back and have any potential issues with the boot melting or breaking down.

So I made it home and was looking over my skates and was becoming more displeased with the situation. The fit of the skates right now doesn't blow me away, but I will take it with a grain of salt as I haven't been able to skate on them yet and have only been able to wear them sitting on my couch. To be honest, one skate feels sloppy, like there is too much negative space and my heel doesn't lock in as much as I would like, but like I said, I was not able to get the full benefits of baking them and things might change after a rebake. I also notice some, I guess quality issues with the skates. On my left skate, on the rear of the boot right under the tendon guard, the carbon fiber looks all kinds of messed up. Also, on the tendon guard itself, I guess you could call it a bolt or rivet "cap" looks partly melted and different then every other picture of the skates that I have seen. I am sure these are just cosmetic issues and won't have an effect on performance but for the money these cost, I kind of expected a little better. I also have some random glue spots, but that doesn't bother me as much. The one that does bother me the most is the carbon fiber issue, because it just looks bad compared to the other skate, which is normal and how it should look.

So, I am going to go back tomorrow and have them rebaked and hopefully I will be happy with the fit. I will also have the manager take I a few pictures of the issues and send them to True customer service and see what they say. I have attached a few pictures to show you guys what I have been rambling on about. Let me know if I am being unreasonable about any of this. Sorry for the long post guys and girls. For those of you who read it, I appreciate your time.

vgpxYEg.jpgaG8HQQC.jpgwFLtv5T.jpg

Edited by chocks86
Missing text.

For the amount of money they cost, and the whole experience they are selling, custom skates made specifically for your foot -  I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. Some of it may be cosmetic issues and that's up to you to decide how much you care about it. Keep in mind after a few pucks to the holders and opponents stepping on your toe caps, you probably won't care so much about a misaligned rivet cap (or whatever that is) or sloppy glue work.

Just my layman's opinion but the carbon fiber issue on the back of the left boot concerns me. It almost looks like there's either no carbon fiber there, or it was an end piece and it's unwoven? Either way I would be concerned that it would be a weak point there, unless an engineer tells me that it's fine. My (uneducated) guess is it's not.

Ultimately True is selling a high end, custom product, and they need to understand that comes with high expectations that they deliver on what they're promising.

• Thanks 1

That doesn't look good at all, even if it is just cosmetic. Not sure what the deal with True/VH regarding their QC and attention to detail. It's quite disappointing to receive that after waiting weeks and spending 1000+ on them. 

Hopefully the fit issue will be resolved with baking them properly.  

• Thanks 1

The fit before and after baking (at least in the MLX) is a night and day difference. 

In regards to the Aesthetics, thats just what hand laid carbon fiber looks like. CCM and Bauer covers these up with exterior graphics, True/VH just have a more "raw" look to them. Nothing of concern imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering how much time elapsed between the skates coming out of the oven and finally getting them on and tied, it is no wonder that the fit doesn't feel right yet.

Edited by chippa13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The fit issue I'm not too worried about yet because Chippa and Buzz are right, with a proper baking I am sure there will be a big difference and I will be happy with them fit wise. I do think I will have them look at the carbon fiber issue though. 

Should I try to contact True directly or go through Hockey Monkey?

Edited by chocks86

going through true directly could never hurt as they'd be able to give you a direct explanation and avoiding any type of communication miscues by going through HM.

I was a little shocked about the tongue and lace issue. The shop I'm at has done almost 50 pairs to date, and having fit numerous people personally, I will call the person and see when they can come, but not before doing a "prep" of the skate to make sure everything is lined up properly and ready to go, including tongue laces and holder/steel if it was installed in house. a little lack of care on their part IMO.

True has told us, as mentioned above that the imperfection can happen when overlapping occurs during the build process and we have never had any issues with it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, adam14 said:

going through true directly could never hurt as they'd be able to give you a direct explanation and avoiding any type of communication miscues by going through HM.

I was a little shocked about the tongue and lace issue. The shop I'm at has done almost 50 pairs to date, and having fit numerous people personally, I will call the person and see when they can come, but not before doing a "prep" of the skate to make sure everything is lined up properly and ready to go, including tongue laces and holder/steel if it was installed in house. a little lack of care on their part IMO.

True has told us, as mentioned above that the imperfection can happen when overlapping occurs during the build process and we have never had any issues with it.

Thank you for the info Adam, I do appreciate it. 

Does anyone know if the True/VH holder and the LS Edge holder have the same hole patterns?  A buddy of mine wants to get Edge holders and asked me this question but I wasn't sure.  He is also wondering if the True heel piece will have to be removed for the Edge holders and if that will be easy for a LHS to do... not sure of that answer either.  Any help would be great :)

Edited by Fletch