Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

49 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Does anyone know if the True/VH holder and the LS Edge holder have the same hole patterns?  A buddy of mine wants to get Edge holders and asked me this question but I wasn't sure.  He is also wondering if the True heel piece will have to be removed for the Edge holders and if that will be easy for a LHS to do... not sure of that answer either.  Any help would be great :)

The holes do line up but the lhs that did mine said a couple had to be beveled a bit to ensure a property fit, so short answer is yes. 

As for the heel cup I left mine on and it was fine. I had edge holders put on twice with the cup by two different lhs without any issues. 

I'm not a fan of the edge holders though. I've had two sets and both there have been some issues with clicking steel. Although the play is minimal, once I burn through my new set of tydans, I am going to put ls2 holders on them and not have to worry about loose steel. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

The holes do line up but the lhs that did mine said a couple had to be beveled a bit to ensure a property fit, so short answer is yes. 

As for the heel cup I left mine on and it was fine. I had edge holders put on twice with the cup by two different lhs without any issues. 

I'm not a fan of the edge holders though. I've had two sets and both there have been some issues with clicking steel. Although the play is minimal, once I burn through my new set of tydans, I am going to put ls2 holders on them and not have to worry about loose steel. 

Thanks man.  I have another friend who uses Edge with Step black on them so my buddy wants that same setup... have you ever used step black on the edge holders and had any issues?

18 hours ago, chocks86 said:

So, I am going to go back tomorrow and have them rebaked and hopefully I will be happy with the fit.

I may be a bit anal about these things but I would ask to have them bake one skate at a time so you can focus 100% on each skate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

I may be a bit anal about these things but I would ask to have them bake one skate at a time so you can focus 100% on each skate.

I got back from Hockey Monkey recently and this is what we did. They fit much better now. Just have to get out on the ice and test them out. 

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Thanks man.  I have another friend who uses Edge with Step black on them so my buddy wants that same setup... have you ever used step black on the edge holders and had any issues?

I had that setup but the steel didn't fit the holders that great. It was slightly on the looser side and caused some clicking and movement.  But looking back now i don't think it's so much of a step issue than the edge holder issue in general. The edge holders aren't that consistent in how steel fits in them. I got brand new holders and tydan steel and these are really snug but still has some minor clicking and play in one of them. Something most people probably won't even notice, and probably something that won't even affect performance, but for me now it's in my head. I've even tried ls3 steel and noticed they don't fit consistently. 

That is why I'm opting to switch back to ls2 holders once the tydan steel wears down. I might stick with the edge holders if the issue I have doesn't get worse and doesn't seem to affect performance, but there's something about a nut and bolt securing the blade that gives me the peace of mind. 

Edited by Sniper9

56 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I had that setup but the steel didn't fit the holders that great. It was slightly on the looser side and caused some clicking and movement.  But looking back now i don't think it's so much of a step issue than the edge holder issue in general. The edge holders aren't that consistent in how steel fits in them. I got brand new holders and tydan steel and these are really snug but still has some minor clicking and play in one of them. Something most people probably won't even notice, and probably something that won't even affect performance, but for me now it's in my head. I've even tried ls3 steel and noticed they don't fit consistently. 

That is why I'm opting to switch back to ls2 holders once the tydan steel wears down. I might stick with the edge holders if the issue I have doesn't get worse and doesn't seem to affect performance, but there's something about a nut and bolt securing the blade that gives me the peace of mind. 

I feel the same way. You can tweak the nut to get the tightness just right on the LS2. With the Edge, you're relying on close tolerances in the latching mechanism which can't be adjusted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I feel the same way. You can tweak the nut to get the tightness just right on the LS2. With the Edge, you're relying on close tolerances in the latching mechanism which can't be adjusted.

I'm glad someone feels the same way. Most people I talk to say "mines tight and not loose" without ever even looking at their holders, let alone not even knowing what hollow their skates are sharpened at. But I'm also ocd for certain things.... 😋

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Is that the holder that  has the trigger to change the steel ?  May want to try those little pieces of felt  for protecting furniture from getting scratced 

6 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I'm glad someone feels the same way. Most people I talk to say "mines tight and not loose" without ever even looking at their holders, let alone not even knowing what hollow their skates are sharpened at. But I'm also ocd for certain things.... 😋

Tightening the nut pulls the steel  back and causes it to pull the book against the boss?

Contacted True regarding my order, said they shipped my skates on 1/23/18. So hopefully they arrive at local shop soon with no issues, and get them fitted finally. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Contacted True regarding my order, said they shipped my skates on 1/23/18. So hopefully they arrive at local shop soon with no issues, and get them fitted finally. 

Just make sure everything is prepped by you before they go in the oven or the if it preparation is done by someone else, check it over so you don't encounter any issues during baking. Specifically make sure the laces are long enough, because True has shipped a few pairs with laces about a foot too short. 

Edited by chocks86

2 hours ago, chocks86 said:

Just make sure everything is prepped by you before they go in the oven or the if it preparation is done by someone else, check it over so you don't encounter any issues during baking. Specifically make sure the laces are long enough, because True has shipped a few pairs with laces about a foot too short. 

Yes check the laces. Oddly mind were way too long. I had to purchase 96s. Felt like mine came with 130s as they were obviously too long. I hope True can work on this QA issue. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 02m3smg said:

Yes check the laces. Oddly mind were way too long. I had to purchase 96s. Felt like mine came with 130s as they were obviously too long. I hope True can work on this QA issue. 

Oh wow. Well I guess it's just hit or miss right now. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it was quite frustrating. 

So is anybody using a different footbed in their skates now? I can't decide whether I like the stock footbeds or not, but I am going to use them a couple of times and then see how I feel about them. I had been using the CCM customizable arch insoles in my Nexus skates which I really liked and were pretty comfortable. I'm am just wondering if using different footbeds will mess with the fit of the boot that baking can not adjust it to.  

Edited by chocks86

5 minutes ago, chocks86 said:

So is anybody using a different footbed in their skates now? I can't decide whether I like the stock footbeds or not, but I am going to use them a couple of times and then see how I feel about them. I had been using the CCM customizable arch insoles in my Nexus skates which I really liked and were pretty comfortable. I'm am just wondering if using different footbeds will mess with the fit of the boot that baking can not adjust it to.  

I use the CCM footbeds as well, going on three + years now with no issues. You shouldn't have to rebake. May fit a bit more snug as the CCM insoles are thicker.

9 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Tightening the nut pulls the steel  back and causes it to pull the book against the boss?

What?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chocks86 said:

And make sure you use a shoe horn to get them on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Is that the holder that  has the trigger to change the steel ?  May want to try those little pieces of felt  for protecting furniture from getting scratced 

Yes it is. What do u mean use the furniture felt. I know there's the tape trick to reduce wiggle room but I am not going to use that until there's a more noticeable play. Right now it's very minimal just enough to make a click.  I think even the thickness of Scotch tape would make it really difficult to install the steel. That's how small of a tolerance it takes to be off for the edge holder to cause issues, which is why I'm not a fan at all.  The trigger lock holds the blade in place to a certain degree but will never be as firm as s bolt and nut. 

I think having a very thin layer of rubber or silicon in the holder channels to hug the blade would be a good idea potentially, unless it really absorbs energy transfer of the skaters. This way though, it would adapt to the minor size tolerance differences alot better from holder to holder/steel to steel

Aesthetically the edge holders are the best, imo, but reliability wise, not so much. I wish they made a refined ls2 holder that had the updated body lines of the edge.  Step/graf holders have the brilliant idea of having the bolt on the outside, but they aren't the best looking. 

Edited by Sniper9

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I think having a very thin layer of rubber or silicon in the holder channels to hug the blade would be a good idea potentially, unless it really absorbs energy transfer of the skaters. This way though, it would adapt to the minor size tolerance differences alot better from holder to holder/steel to steel

Aesthetically the edge holders are the best, imo, but reliability wise, not so much. I wish they made a refined ls2 holder that had the updated body lines of the edge.  Step/graf holders have the brilliant idea of having the bolt on the outside, but they aren't the best looking. 

You can't use silicon or rubber as it would give and still allow the blade to flex sideways. Teflon tape is good as it does not give under pressure. I end up press fitting the blade into the holder and then resharpening the blade. It's a last resort because if the blade breaks or when it wears out then getting it out is going to be really difficult and anything new going into the holder will flop about. At the end of the day a new edge holder is the only proper fix.

We have timed skaters (from standing starts) with this issue and they were all faster once the blade was sitting firmly in the holder. 

18 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

You can't use silicon or rubber as it would give and still allow the blade to flex sideways. Teflon tape is good as it does not give under pressure. I end up press fitting the blade into the holder and then resharpening the blade. It's a last resort because if the blade breaks or when it wears out then getting it out is going to be really difficult and anything new going into the holder will flop about. At the end of the day a new edge holder is the only proper fix.

We have timed skaters (from standing starts) with this issue and they were all faster once the blade was sitting firmly in the holder. 

So basically the holders are hit or miss.... And when it's a miss your Sol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

So basically the holders are hit or miss.... And when it's a miss your Sol. 

Can you tell they will click even if they are not on a boot?  Because in that case you could just exchange the holder for a new one, no?

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Can you tell they will click even if they are not on a boot?  Because in that case you could just exchange the holder for a new one, no?

Maybe. But I got these holders on before my steel came in. And the frustrating part is that one set of steel may click while the other won't and vice versa. So really, that may help with your first set of steel but not future ones. At the end of the day, it is just too inconsistent, and it gets old returning holder after holder. 

I play 1-2x a week max during the winter season and 1x a week tops during the summer, so this issue likely won't even be an problem for the life of my steel. My last ls3 steel lasted me a good 4 years and they still have a lot of sharpening in them and they were profiled twice.  So even if I get a good 2-3 years out of this holder, I'd be happy, but will be switching out to the ls2 (I have a spare new set), or look at whatever new options are available at that time.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Buddy said:

Received confirmation  yesterday that my skates have arrived. Hoping to get to the shop on Monday. Will keep everyone updated of the process.

• Like 2