Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

23 hours ago, Fletch said:

Can you tell they will click even if they are not on a boot?  Because in that case you could just exchange the holder for a new one, no?

Don't know about clicking but you could check for sideways fit. You would have to add some weight to the holder eg screw a heavy steel plate onto it, insert the blade into the holder and then put the setup into a sharpening carriage with a sideways mount. If the holder flops on the blade then swap it out.

So I received a reply pretty quickly from a True customer service rep after I sent them an email regarding my concerns with my skates. She apologized about the laces issue and offered to send me another set of laces. I declined because I was going to purchase laces I more preferred anyway. She assured me that the quality control team was notified about the issue and that they would take steps to make sure that this did not occur in the future. On the issue of the carbon fiber, she stated that each skate is made with 4 sheets of carbon fiber and what I was seeing was the end of a pattern cut on the left skate. She assured me that it would not have any issues with integrity and no effect on the performance of the skate. 

I sent back an email stating that I am glad that there will be no problems with the integrity or performance but that I was still pretty disappointed with the way the skate is. I explained to her that I had spent on lot of money on what is marketed as a high end customized product and I believe it should look the part. I understand that they are handmade and that they won't look perfect but this was worse than I expected. In my opinion, if the skates could not have been finished because the carbon fiber came to the end of the pattern, then it should have been started and finished with a new sheet to give a complete and uniform look. 

I was sent back another reply email this morning stating that my emails were forward to the operations manager and that he would get into contact with me a soon as possible. Hopefully with some good news. Ideally I would like to send them back and have them fix the skate so it looks like it should. Then I will be able to fully enjoy my skates. Right now, it's an eye sore and disappointment and definitely dulls my excitement of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Don't know about clicking but you could check for sideways fit. You would have to add some weight to the holder eg screw a heavy steel plate onto it, insert the blade into the holder and then put the setup into a sharpening carriage with a sideways mount. If the holder flops on the blade then swap it out.

To have to do that on every holder just to see if it's good isnt worth it imo. Products should be reliable enough for defective ones to be a one off and fee and far between, not a coin toss. 

Also, my clicking is from side to side movement on my new holder. The other ones I had it was from up and down. So go figure. Oh well as long as it doesn't get worse I can live with it. It's at the very back two inches of the blade behind the actual trigger, and it's so minimal, so it's likely not even going to cause any problems. 

1 hour ago, chocks86 said:

So I received a reply pretty quickly from a True customer service rep after I sent them an email regarding my concerns with my skates. She apologized about the laces issue and offered to send me another set of laces. I declined because I was going to purchase laces I more preferred anyway. She assured me that the quality control team was notified about the issue and that they would take steps to make sure that this did not occur in the future. On the issue of the carbon fiber, she stated that each skate is made with 4 sheets of carbon fiber and what I was seeing was the end of a pattern cut on the left skate. She assured me that it would not have any issues with integrity and no effect on the performance of the skate. 

I sent back an email stating that I am glad that there will be no problems with the integrity or performance but that I was still pretty disappointed with the way the skate is. I explained to her that I had spent on lot of money on what is marketed as a high end customized product and I believe it should look the part. I understand that they are handmade and that they won't look perfect but this was worse than I expected. In my opinion, if the skates could not have been finished because the carbon fiber came to the end of the pattern, then it should have been started and finished with a new sheet to give a complete and uniform look. 

I was sent back another reply email this morning stating that my emails were forward to the operations manager and that he would get into contact with me a soon as possible. Hopefully with some good news. Ideally I would like to send them back and have them fix the skate so it looks like it should. Then I will be able to fully enjoy my skates. Right now, it's an eye sore and disappointment and definitely dulls my excitement of them.

I hope it works out for you and I hope this was a learning point for true. Whether performance is effected, all companies should know that esthetics plays a pretty huge role in quality as well. VH is now backed by a huge company and the QC should be improved greatly. There should be people paid to literally look at a finished skate and inspect them for glue etc.... I had glue residue on the actual silver logo. It wasn't easy to get off but it wasn't hard either. That could have been easily remover before it was sent out. Whether they're unable to keep up with the demands at this point may be another issue they are running into, but pumping out products with the carbon weave like yours will only deter future sales. 

• Like 1

Curious, has anybody had any issues with the padding and foams around the ankles? specifically closer to where your Achilles would line up 

24 minutes ago, adam14 said:

Curious, has anybody had any issues with the padding and foams around the ankles? specifically closer to where your Achilles would line up 

What kind of issues are you concerned about? 

To be completely honest, I don’t see how QA lets this skate go out, even if the visual defect doesn’t impact performance. Paying that much for a skate, you expect something that doesn’t look like crap, but even outside of the purchasers expectations, it just doesn’t reflect well on the brand to other consumers on the market for skates. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Stewie said:

To be completely honest, I don’t see how QA lets this skate go out, even if the visual defect doesn’t impact performance. Paying that much for a skate, you expect something that doesn’t look like crap, but even outside of the purchasers expectations, it just doesn’t reflect well on the brand to other consumers on the market for skates. 

..especially since these are hand made, how is that the guy who hand made this was not like "hey.. this looks like shite, let me redo that". It is like a guy who makes custom hand made furniture would be like "fuck it, chair still has four legs..." kind of thing. The VH guy on he forum here made it quite clear several times that performance of the skate is first and aesthetics are not of importance, but this and throwing in an unusably short laces is just luck of any pride in the product. Looks like a serious pep talk is in order there.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stewie said:

I wonder what the % is regarding ones that get sent out that shouldn't have. I mean, you only really see the bad ones being posted. Most people that are happy obviously wouldn't make a post and rant about it.  

35 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

..especially since these are hand made, how is that the guy who hand made this was not like "hey.. this looks like shite, let me redo that". It is like a guy who makes custom hand made furniture would be like "fuck it, chair still has four legs..." kind of thing. The VH guy on he forum here made it quite clear several times that performance of the skate is first and aesthetics are not of importance, but this and throwing in an unusably short laces is just luck of any pride in the product. Looks like a serious pep talk is in order there.

Regarding laces, you would think they would just send skates with laces no shorter than 96, since it's better too long than too short... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I wonder what the % is regarding ones that get sent out that shouldn't have. I mean, you only really see the bad ones being posted. Most people that are happy obviously wouldn't make a post and rant about it.  

I would say there are likely a small % out in the open with this aesthetic anomaly, and a smaller % of that % who care that much about something so minor. 

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Regarding laces, you would think they would just send skates with laces no shorter than 96, since it's better too long than too short... 

I think it is the same thing as sending out skates with glue marks, spliced stitching, "end of the roll" fiber look... Basically, they fill that they can peddle shit and consumers will gobble it because of the performance benefits, brand recognition, and the mere fact, that most active players would rather wear that than go back to old skates while the replacement is being made. I would have given them benefit of a doubt, but it seems like a trend - the busier they get the more selective they become in who is getting quality product and who is getting "hey.. he'll live". We all have seeing the posts with excellent quality skates, packed in fancy boxed with magnetic flop and certificate. We also have seeing posts with subpar cosmetics delivered in a brown box. They definitely need to clean this up and make it more consistent.

• Like 2

The main thing that would bother me as the company, would be the fact that to a distant eye, it actually could look like the skate is actually coming apart at junction. It just doesn’t reflect well. 

If there really is 4 sheets of carbon fiber, It should be easy enough to use the end cuts in the first layer or two, and have a product that looks more refined. Then you don’t have to worry about that percentage that doesn’t want their heel to look like ass. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I would say there are likely a small % out in the open with this aesthetic anomaly, and a smaller % of that % who care that much about something so minor. 

I believe that by observing the reaction from most people on here that they believe that it would be more than a minor issue to most of them. 

• Like 2

We will see what happens.... I think things will only improve from here. At least they better or they're not going to be able to stay alive, especially since Bauer and ccm have stepped up their game, and most people don't need a 100% custom skate. 

For me, I had no issues with Bauers fit and my skates were from 2010. I haven't tried any retail skates since. The only reason I got the true was because of the novelty and curiosity.   Happy with them but if Bauer offers the same comfort, my next pair would likely be with Bauer again. The thing about retail skates is you can actually try them on before you buy them, which is also a huge plus. And exchanging them due to warranty would be much easier at the retail level. Not back and forth emails, and then potentially a remake of a skate which could be weeks. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chocks86 said:

I believe that by observing the reaction from most people on here that they believe that it would be more than a minor issue to most of them. 

...And this website is comprised of a small percent of a small percent of the hockey playing community who are hyper aware of the gear they use

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

...And this website is comprised of a small percent of a small percent of the hockey playing community who are hyper aware of the gear they use

True, you are correct about that. I see your point. 

On 15/01/2018 at 7:34 PM, Playmakersedge said:

For a cya for future customers.  Is there an opportunity in the process to get a digital copy of the scan ; so all isn't lost ? 

No. Because you would need the soft ware to be able to read it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

No. Because you would need the soft ware to be able to read it. 

Gotcha Thank you . So at best you have a copy to resubmit or if the company's system lost its data . Probably very unlikely 

On 1/27/2018 at 4:39 PM, Kgbeast said:

I think it is the same thing as sending out skates with glue marks, spliced stitching, "end of the roll" fiber look... Basically, they fill that they can peddle shit and consumers will gobble it because of the performance benefits, brand recognition, and the mere fact, that most active players would rather wear that than go back to old skates while the replacement is being made. I would have given them benefit of a doubt, but it seems like a trend - the busier they get the more selective they become in who is getting quality product and who is getting "hey.. he'll live". We all have seeing the posts with excellent quality skates, packed in fancy boxed with magnetic flop and certificate. We also have seeing posts with subpar cosmetics delivered in a brown box. They definitely need to clean this up and make it more consistent.

Maybe they are trying to produce to much product.    Anyone know why the brand has changed changed names 3 (?) times  

11 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

Maybe they are trying to produce to much product.    Anyone know why the brand has changed changed names 3 (?) times  

They haven’t. They were VH and then they were acquired by True. 

• Like 1