Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

7 minutes ago, chocks86 said:

How can something that is custom made from a digital laser scan of your feet not fit better?

The vast majority of people don't need a custom skate now days.  Skates wrap very well to users foot if they buy the right type of skate for their foot, I have jacked up feet and with a nexus skate after baking it fits great.  Everyone one will have their own opinion on Makes, models, and skates so it boils down to personal preference most the time, though you should fit a nexus foot into a vapor skate because it won't fit properly and visa-versa.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, greyskull said:

That may well be me...

It was at Gosport during a weekend public session, I'm pretty sure he was a hockey skater.

19 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

My VH skates were made in June 2015 with Bauer cowlings mounted. Was this before or after the goalie boots started being made with extra protection to allow for a cowlingless holder?  I'm assuming that at some point the boots were changed so that they are ALL made with a reinforced boot so they can be used with any holder, with or without a cowling. Is that accurate?

TL;DR: Can I put Bauer (or step) holders on these boots from mid-2015?

FYI, I got a reply back from Rob.

Unfortunately, in 2015 we were not re-enforcing the toe caps.  We have had goalies make the swap with the standard toe caps and have no issues.  It is not something that we recommend.  We started re-enforcing the toe caps in mid 2016

So there's my answer. My skates are almost 3 years old so maybe it's time to start looking at new ones! :3_grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IniNew said:

If the retail skates are comfortable and fit well, as the poster you replied to said, you can't assume VH is going to fit and perform better.

Well "fitting well" is not custom. And after close to 600 fits with 25 customers on there 3rd pair and saying they woukd never go back to stock tells me that. 

That being said as mentioned above other stock fits are getting better. But i know i can tell the difference between my Ultra Tacks and True/VH 

Edited by oldtrainerguy28
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Well "fitting well" is not custom. And after close to 600 fits with 25 customers on there 3rd pair and saying they woukd never go back to stock tells me that. 

That being said as mentioned above other stock fits are getting better. But i know i can tell the difference between my Ultra Tacks and True/VH 

What is the price for a pair of True skates? I'm looking all over the website but can't find a solid answer

4 hours ago, Leif said:

Do these skates provide any benefit over a pair of standard skates that fit well? A friend has a pair on order, as he was unable to find skates that fitted his large and wide feet. He was in pain, so custom skates are worth the money for him. In my case my Bauer Supremes are very comfortable.

I've seen a pair of VH skates at a local UK rink, worn by a young lad, and a good skater. But they are fairly rare in the UK, no doubt in part because to get them fitted you have to go to Sheffield, which for some of us is a 5+ hour car journey each way.

Personally, if you're willing to spend the money and willing to put the time into getting used to a totally different feel of skate go for it. If you're happy with what you have and play at a recreational level, I'd personally stick with what works. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

And there lies the issue. You can't compare a retail offering to a custom. Hell, they aren't even in the same price point.

So for the sake of discussion, lets put a True up against a custom Bauer or CCM, you know, apple to apples. Who's better performer....

• Like 1

I think the answer is it is still individual, otherwise every NHLer except the "heel to toe" guys (who are very few and far between) would all be in the same skate.

22 minutes ago, stick9 said:

And there lies the issue. You can't compare a retail offering to a custom. Hell, they aren't even in the same price point.

So for the sake of discussion, lets put a True up against a custom Bauer or CCM, you know, apple to apples. Who's better performer....

My ULTA tacks are custom. And yes I'm a horrible skater but it's not even close for me. 

I guess to be fair I have worked with them from the beginning.  My grafs are the closest in feel and performance I think. 

Price point is exactly the same here FYI 

Edited by oldtrainerguy28

My dads interested in a pair of those Trues but doesn't know how much they cost. My brother talked him into a pair of 1x's that are hurting him. If someone could give me even a broad range I'd appreciate it.

True Skates, as far as I know, in the US are $949 base with the stock Step Holder/Step Steel, and standard tongues.  Impact protection is an additional $50 per pair.  Not sure the cost of other customizations.  These prices don't include sales tax.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

What about comparing custom to custom?

There's literally no way to test this unless you are doing straight line speed or agility tests with a skating robot. Too much emphasis on personal preference and feel when it comes to skates. You can't really measure comfort and edge confidence with a normalized metric- otherwise Marleau probably would have ditched his 9Ks a long time ago despite being in the top percentile of skaters walking this planet.

Some pro drivers prefer the road feel of a Lamborghini, some prefer Ferrari. 

Edited by Cavs019

From observation of comments on here from people who own them and have used them for a while, I would say that the benefits of a custom skate over a off the shelf retail skate are apparent. I know that most of you already know this, but keep in mind that most of the NHL players do in fact have custom made skates from Bauer or CCM, along with True. If you are happy with and can find a retail skate that works, that's great, it will save you some money... only if you don't buy the top of the model line,which are pretty much identical in price to a pair of Trues. 

4 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

True Skates, as far as I know, in the US are $949 base with the stock Step Holder/Step Steel, and standard tongues.  Impact protection is an additional $50 per pair.  Not sure the cost of other customizations.  These prices don't include sales tax.

Some option prices (that I know of):

Tongue embroidery: $25

Tguard Tongues (metatarsal guard): $25

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

What about comparing custom to custom?

Just to clarify, does Bauer or CCM even offer a fully fitted custom skate to regular retail customers right now?

29 minutes ago, chocks86 said:

Some option prices (that I know of):

Tongue embroidery: $25

Tguard Tongues (metatarsal guard): $25

Is it possible to buy replacement tongues directly through True, say if your current ones were to wear out?  Or do you have to go through a retailer for special order?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chocks86 said:

From observation of comments on here from people who own them and have used them for a while, I would say that the benefits of a custom skate over a off the shelf retail skate are apparent. I know that most of you already know this, but keep in mind that most of the NHL players do in fact have custom made skates from Bauer or CCM, along with True. If you are happy with and can find a retail skate that works, that's great, it will save you some money... only if you don't buy the top of the model line,which are pretty much identical in price to a pair of Trues. 

I think you'd be surprised at how little "custom" there is in many pros custom skates.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chocks86 said:

Just to clarify, does Bauer or CCM even offer a fully fitted custom skate to regular retail customers right now?

At this stage, no.

Someone like JR could possibly better answer this but based on a recent discussion I had with a LHS owner - With Bauer you can select a tongue, heel size, forefoot width etc but its made from their last, not a last from your foot. CCM are about to offer a custom skate once their scanning platform is rolled out into retail stores but I'm not sure if it is truly based of your last or a last they have that is closest to your foot shape.

44 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Is it possible to buy replacement tongues directly through True, say if your current ones were to wear out?  Or do you have to go through a retailer for special order?

I assume so, considering I just bought a set of insoles from True for my old VH skates. 

Any of u guys have rivet issues? I know I've read it here and there in this thread but does the fact that the boot is full carbon make it harder for the rivets to hold and stay tight? I'm only 160 lbs and have never had rivet issues. The most recent holder swap I did, the place only used copper on the rear two. Whereas true did copper on the rear two of the back and front part of the holder, and I know Bauer adds one copper on the front rear instep as well. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

At this stage, no.

Someone like JR could possibly better answer this but based on a recent discussion I had with a LHS owner - With Bauer you can select a tongue, heel size, forefoot width etc but its made from their last, not a last from your foot. CCM are about to offer a custom skate once their scanning platform is rolled out into retail stores but I'm not sure if it is truly based of your last or a last they have that is closest to your foot shape.

I will of course defer to JR or mojo, but I am pretty sure you can. In fact, there is a member here who just received his custom Bauer’s. 

Some light reading.