Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

20 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Any of u guys have rivet issues? I know I've read it here and there in this thread but does the fact that the boot is full carbon make it harder for the rivets to hold and stay tight? I'm only 160 lbs and have never had rivet issues. The most recent holder swap I did, the place only used copper on the rear two. Whereas true did copper on the rear two of the back and front part of the holder, and I know Bauer adds one copper on the front rear instep as well. 

Haven't had any rivet issues three years in with mine. If you have any issues you can always have your LHS put a copper in  the back of the rear tower as needed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Haven't had any rivet issues three years in with mine. If you have any issues you can always have your LHS put a copper in  the back of the rear tower as needed. 

I didn't have issues with the step holder. And didn't have issues with the black edge since the shop did the same rivet setup as Bauer does and has a copper on the rear front instep. 

But when I put the white edge on at a diff place, they did all steel rivets on the front and after one skate 3 of them in the right foot came loose. I think it was more to due with the rivets not being properly installed in the first place though. 

I've since put ls2 holders on at a diff place, and they didn't use copper on the front as well. I'll see how that holds up although I can tell the rivets seem to be installed alot snugger this time around. Like u said though, worst case if need be, I'll have additional coppers added here and there. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I assume so, considering I just bought a set of insoles from True for my old VH skates. 

Did you deal directly with True or did you work thru a retail store?

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Any of u guys have rivet issues? I know I've read it here and there in this thread but does the fact that the boot is full carbon make it harder for the rivets to hold and stay tight? I'm only 160 lbs and have never had rivet issues. The most recent holder swap I did, the place only used copper on the rear two. Whereas true did copper on the rear two of the back and front part of the holder, and I know Bauer adds one copper on the front rear instep as well. 

Mine are all copper. No issues so far. Granted I’m a goalie so I’m not sure if that changes anything. You’d think it would mean a lot of constant pressure on the outside rivets, if anything. 

26 minutes ago, jasongos said:

Did you deal directly with True or did you work thru a retail store?

Directly through a True rep. 

3 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Is it possible to buy replacement tongues directly through True, say if your current ones were to wear out?  Or do you have to go through a retailer for special order?

Yes email them. About $100 cdn for a pair of tongues. 

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

I will of course defer to JR or mojo, but I am pretty sure you can. In fact, there is a member here who just received his custom Bauer’s. 

As per what CCM are doing, for retail Bauer do not build from your last but a last that is the closest they have to your foot shape and then incorporating any additional specs you may make. Only True at this stage are offering a retail boot that will be built from your last.

For my crystal ball gazing, once the manufacturers begin to 3D print their boots (and its not that far away when you look at what adidas and others are now doing) then all boots will be be able to be built from your last, for an additional price of course.

Finally got the setup that I like and everything is dialed in.... Can't explain how much frustration the edge holders caused me... But was able to take these for a spin and just love the ls2 holders. And the peace or mind that the steel is locked in by a bolt again. 

I ordered the holders purposely avoiding the versions with the red accent. The eBay listing I got it from even had ones with black accents showing, but it was a bulk ad for various sizes so I got whatever they had in my size. Oh well. When I have time I'll use a bit of acetone to remove it or really fine grit sandpaper and wet sand it off and some plastic polish to match the gloss back. 

My setup is currently as follows;

Standard tongue with embroidery

Superfeet carbons with the red footbed out

Tuuk ls2 holders 

Ls3 steel profiled to quad zero and 9/16" roh

Elite yellow waxed laces 

Finally a happy camper now. 

My advice for those who are going to order these, just get the boot and have the holder of your choice that you are used to, and currently use, mounted. Save yourself the time and money of getting holders swapped multiple times like me.  I actually didn't mind the step holders but aesthetics got the best of me. 

F3lQ9fH.jpg

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Vet88 said:

As per what CCM are doing, for retail Bauer do not build from your last but a last that is the closest they have to your foot shape and then incorporating any additional specs you may make.

Untrue statement.

Bauer builds up an existing last with the skater's trace and measurements, if they are submitted along with the spec sheet.  Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have been fitted with custom skates in which they just filled out the spec sheet and off they went.   That's on the fitter's lack of knowledge, and the customer for not knowing any better.

Same as every brand at this point.  Now you're seeing the latest methods to fine-tune that, from all 3 skate brands.  

You all have been touting that this is the only custom-made skate; then explain the ones made prior to True's iPad (not laser) imaging scan - when you would trace your foot and provide 2 measurements and a length one?  Were those not?  

3D printing isn't at the point that it is cost-effective; in a lot of cases you're making one last.  I have no doubt that it's the future; that way they can get every nook and cranny and truly make a custom skate.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, chippa13 said:

That is exactly what the second sentence you quoted recommends.

Great in theory, only that discussion started and then petered off. I was just hoping to kick it back into motion from the dead is all. Thanks for the snide misreading though. I'd say it was refreshing if only.

For those who ordered boot only. Did they come pre drilled for the holder you told true you were going to use, not pre drilled at all, or pre drilled for the step holder (which is more or less the same pattern as most holders on the market )

19 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

For those who ordered boot only. Did they come pre drilled for the holder you told true you were going to use, not pre drilled at all, or pre drilled for the step holder (which is more or less the same pattern as most holders on the market )

Boot only will come undrilled. 

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

Great in theory, only that discussion started and then petered off. I was just hoping to kick it back into motion from the dead is all. Thanks for the snide misreading though. I'd say it was refreshing if only.

It really picked up steam this time around. Your participation trophy is in the mail.

6 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Untrue statement.

Bauer builds up an existing last with the skater's trace and measurements, if they are submitted along with the spec sheet.  Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have been fitted with custom skates in which they just filled out the spec sheet and off they went.   That's on the fitter's lack of knowledge, and the customer for not knowing any better.

Hmm, I wonder if there are regional differences. In NZ our Bauer distributor gets all his product from Europe, including customs. It could be a lack of knowledge all down the line. I will ask him again next time I see him.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Boot only will come undrilled. 

we request on the order sheet to drill holes for whichever holder the customer plans on using if we order boot only, and they have all arrived as such.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, adam14 said:

we request on the order sheet to drill holes for whichever holder the customer plans on using if we order boot only, and they have all arrived as such.

Yup, and if you don’t specify then they will come un-drilled as I said.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 5:52 PM, Buddy said:

So I picked up my new True skates today from the dealer. Looked over the skates and they looked good, few spots here and there with a little extra glue, but nothing major or impacting. Carbon fiber looked good all around, no issues there. I usually wear a size 9 skate, so thats roughly where I'm at with them. The laces in them were an 84, so luckily I checked this out prior to heating them or anything as they would never have fit. Swapped out the laces, got them heated and molded them. Skates felt great on my feet, good comfort level, no pain issues and fit really good. Was able to stop at public skating today for  a quick 15 min twirl on them. Wasn't crazy about the edge, could of been a little sharper. Outside that skates felt really good, just a matter of getting use to them. The skates have Tuuk holders on them, and I felt like I was on my toes a little more, but probably just an adjustment for me. First skate out of the box that felt like I could just go without a break in period. I am coming from a pair of Nexus 7000 Pro Stock V Cut model. Some people noted they received a letter in their box, I didn't have anything other than the bag they came in within the box.

Will have my first skate on them Wed evening as I'm reffing two games that evening. 

A heads up my finding over the years to present with tuuk blades  the toe of the blade i too high in relationship to the skating surface of the blade.   

What I do  : take a compass and set it at the point of the internal bolt or on the newer tuuk where it used to be . Set from there to the edge and then use the tuuk as a guide to scribe that line.   I grind off that material  . I do the same process in the rear .rear isn't really necessary I do it for uniformity.   This gives me a feeling of ah home again. 

When I don't do this, It's felt most in a cross over; the sensation is the front of the skate is pushing back against my foot . Having difficulty articulating exactly .    The replacement steels that are not original equipment seem to be made with out this extra material.... 

Take a look at the how to hockey that explains and shows profiling.  The last process is taking down the toes and heels .      With the scribe you will see it's not a drastic amount of material.    Just some thoughts.  

Here are my Trues with the LS Edge holder and Step Black on them... I really hope I don't have any issues with clicking because skates don't get much sexier looking than this IMO.

kk1SMbz.jpg

• Like 13

So just a quick review after skating on my True skates (lightspeed edge holders) last night for the first time. I am a referee skating several times a week at the college and junior level primarily. I skated a prep school game, and a high school game last night. First game they certainly felt different than my Bauer Nexus 7000 VCut pro stock skates. I felt like I was on the ball of my feet a little more, or they didn't seem as flat. So there was a slight adjustment there, and it almost felt like I was using some muscles I normally didn't use. Second game, felt much better and very comfortable. The skates seemed to be very reactive to turns, push off strides and stops. Felt like I was generating more power directly than losing any power through the stride.

Overall the skates felt really good, and very happy with them so far. Can be difficult to put on at first, but it's a learning process. No blisters, or pain anywhere, just an adjustment that I've slowly made. Skating 2 more college games this weekend which will be a good test for them. Will further update after this weekend.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

Here are my Trues with the LS Edge holder and Step Black on them... I really hope I don't have any issues with clicking because skates don't get much sexier looking than this IMO.

kk1SMbz.jpg

Very nice, how do you like the black step steel? I've thought of picking up the black or chrome finish, but haven't done enough research.

Step black was nice but edge retention in the reg step stainless was also very good. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra 30-40 on the black, but that's just me. 

• Like 2