Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

On 1/30/2018 at 7:02 PM, Sniper9 said:

Any of u guys have rivet issues? I know I've read it here and there in this thread but does the fact that the boot is full carbon make it harder for the rivets to hold and stay tight? I'm only 160 lbs and have never had rivet issues. The most recent holder swap I did, the place only used copper on the rear two. Whereas true did copper on the rear two of the back and front part of the holder, and I know Bauer adds one copper on the front rear instep as well. 

Imo. The cause for most rivet issues is the use of the wrong length rivet being used.  The rivet arbor doesn't completely pull every thing together.... 

Also for those that haven't seen the rivet took work:  the non copper rivets are forced back threw the hole.  This force enlarges the rivet hole .  This gives the next rivet less material to grip . 

Me I add two copper rivets to the front of heel of the holder,  two copper rivets at the rear of the front part of the holder,  then two more one hole back from the front of the holder.   Then standard rivets in the other holes.....   Those holders are going no place . And if they need replacement the removal of the copper doesn't make the bolt holes bigger

Also a heads up on copper rivets.  Many of the lhs techs think the more rivet protruding past the washer the better because it will expand out that much more  when  the arbor is pulled down and the peening pin is struck with the hammer.   ........ This dose not work because the rivet does expand some,   but it also expands against the inside of the arbor.   ...... I use a rivet or cut a rivet so it will protrude 1/8-3/16" above the washer; this gives the space for the copper to mushroom out  .   

On 1/29/2018 at 2:47 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Ok. I have let this go for a fairly long time now. I understand wanting the appearance to be better i get it. I am sure it will get sorted. 

But in now way did the one situation with the cosmetic issue affect the performance. 

Tell me please (and not picking on you in particular) have CCM or Bauer remade custom skates. As in a second pair? I can tell you in my expiernece in 15 years...(at regular retail) NEVER ONCE. I am on about 600 plus fits and I have had about 10 remakes and 2 returned for me to sell as they just didnt like the skate. ( they didn't give it an honest go Or allow for adjustments). If i have a problem i cant fix Rob and his expanded team have always come through. 

When it comes to Bauer for example almost every right skate is misaligned compared to the left. Trigger holders come plyable and blades get loose in 3 months on high end players. Toe caps and tendon guards break. 

CCM has a toe cap breakage issue here in Toronto.  The 4.0 holder is soft in the rear tower and flexs greatly at 6 to 8 months of high end play. 

Every skate has an issue. Or issues   

They may have a small team but from what I have seen they are growing it slowly to have the least amount if wrinkles possible. Scott even asked  me ( as I have told he asks all retailers) to send pics of any  we skates with any issues so they can bring it up in the weekly meetings. 

In closing I will just say I have never worked with a better group of hockey guys when it comes to product. 

Maybe the present CCM Pro Rep and back when Conner Browns and Tanner Pearsons fathers were at Bauer.  Then we got straight answers and good service. 

Sticking with True. 

There are growing pains with any company.  The difference is in how the company handles the bumps.... I haven't dealt with True VH ; but it sounds like effort and intention are being put forward.    

The only thing that I think they should revisit is the fitment at the hockey box store.   I say this from having worked the automotive service and parts box store system.    Variables the consumer dosent see or hear . One example is the amount of employees hours the store is allowed is measured by the existing business volume. Customers point of view is why am I waiting so long for assistance.... Another is management works 50 hour weeks minimum  . The management is burned out by the time customer xxx comes in to get fit at 7:00 ; he or she takes the time with the customer done all the ' have to be trained on' stuff. Then hands off the data to an assistant.  Who more often then not is prematurely promoted. The assistant has to work the floor, ; and this has him or her putting off transferring data . The place is closed the assistant wants to go home and is hurrying and does it wrong.  These things are where issues originate.  

the skates come wrong or take forever.  None of it the fault of craftsmanship.   It's all fault of the point of sale  . The places are set up to be controlled chaos.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fletch said:

Here are my Trues with the LS Edge holder and Step Black on them... I really hope I don't have any issues with clicking because skates don't get much sexier looking than this IMO.

kk1SMbz.jpg

Those steels are nice . Can see the uniformity 

• Like 1

On 30/01/2018 at 4:16 PM, Leif said:

It was at Gosport during a weekend public session, I'm pretty sure he was a hockey skater.

AHHH. Then no. I wouldn't go to that hole out of choice!

Find me In Basingstoke. (what's left of it )

10 minutes ago, greyskull said:

AHHH. Then no. I wouldn't go to that hole out of choice!

Find me In Basingstoke. (what's left of it )

That’s my home rink, I’ll keep an eye open for your skates. :biggrin: I’m one of the rink rats, albeit with very grey hair, and wrinkles. 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Step black was nice but edge retention in the reg step stainless was also very good. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra 30-40 on the black, but that's just me. 

For me, I agree performance-wise.  Where I feel Step Black really shines, is when you sharpen.  Edges are always clean.  But whether that's worth the extra $30-$40, as you stated, is the question.  Also, Step Black just stands out more to the gear hounds since it does have a unique look to it - if that's your thing.

• Like 1

I so want to put Blacksteel on my skates, but can't justify and stomach the $140 when I have perfectly good regular Step steel already. Though every time I see pictures of them I get closer to pressing that order button. 

1 hour ago, chocks86 said:

I so want to put Blacksteel on my skates, but can't justify and stomach the $140 when I have perfectly good regular Step steel already. Though every time I see pictures of them I get closer to pressing that order button. 

Do it. It feels awesome and holds a sharpen forever. And it looks filthy!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chocks86 said:

Don't forget the $30-50 you'll spend on profiling....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chocks86 said:

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

Don't forget the $30-50 you'll spend on profiling....

@chocks86 Is there no hockey shops in Dallas that sells Black steel? Usually if you buy it from the shop they'll profile it for free, but maybe thats just Canada. To be fair I just bought CCM tacks skates in Salt Lake City and they wouldn't but TUUKs on without charging me even though I told them they could keep the CCM holders and Steel so maybe American shops are a little more stingy, but I feel like if you went to a shop and ordered the Steel through them at a place like Pure Hockey that they'd do the profiling and installation for free.

Also be careful on your holders and if they're compatible. When I bought BlackEdge, they only had it for TUUKs that didn't have the steel for the TUUKs with the easy-remove trigger. But that was probably a year and a half ago so things could have changed. I'd take a look to make sure they're compatible with your holders.

Edited by theinfamoust94

2 hours ago, theinfamoust94 said:

@chocks86 Is there no hockey shops in Dallas that sells Black steel? Usually if you buy it from the shop they'll profile it for free, but maybe thats just Canada. To be fair I just bought CCM tacks skates in Salt Lake City and they wouldn't but TUUKs on without charging me even though I told them they could keep the CCM holders and Steel so maybe American shops are a little more stingy, but I feel like if you went to a shop and ordered the Steel through them at a place like Pure Hockey that they'd do the profiling and installation for free.

Also be careful on your holders and if they're compatible. When I bought BlackEdge, they only had it for TUUKs that didn't have the steel for the TUUKs with the easy-remove trigger. But that was probably a year and a half ago so things could have changed. I'd take a look to make sure they're compatible with your holders.

Due to patent laws. Step, or any non-Bauer branded steel, for Bauer's Lightspeed Edge holder is not available in the US. There are work arounds like eBay but walking into a shop is a no go.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, chocks86 said:

Get a pair of Blacksteel and put in on your skates, and use the regular Step as a pair of backups in case you blow a tire with the Blacksteel.  That's what I do.  heh.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2018 at 1:21 PM, Leif said:

Do these skates provide any benefit over a pair of standard skates that fit well? A friend has a pair on order, as he was unable to find skates that fitted his large and wide feet. He was in pain, so custom skates are worth the money for him. In my case my Bauer Supremes are very comfortable.

I've seen a pair of VH skates at a local UK rink, worn by a young lad, and a good skater. But they are fairly rare in the UK, no doubt in part because to get them fitted you have to go to Sheffield, which for some of us is a 5+ hour car journey each way.

I heard yesterday that Skate Station near Woking are to become a True skate dealer. They will also have the Bauer 3D foot scanner. :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leif said:

I heard yesterday that Skate Station near Woking are to become a True skate dealer. They will also have the Bauer 3D foot scanner. :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

I have been on eBay a bunch looking for skates new old stock. 

I have seen several pair of VH  there and noticed in the pics the boot lining peeling down the heel of the boot.  Couple said pro returns. Looks like the stitching line is the fail point.   

Thought for anyone in the company or can reach out : use a piece of the liner material inch wide virtical up the center of the heel stitching up each side similar to old school construction.   Use a wider stitching around the boot caller run two staggered lines . Maybe a different glue also that isn't affected by the boot baking  .      The caller seem is now like the tear line in a note book.  

17 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

I have been on eBay a bunch looking for skates new old stock. 

I have seen several pair of VH  there and noticed in the pics the boot lining peeling down the heel of the boot.  Couple said pro returns. Looks like the stitching line is the fail point.   

Thought for anyone in the company or can reach out : use a piece of the liner material inch wide virtical up the center of the heel stitching up each side similar to old school construction.   Use a wider stitching around the boot caller run two staggered lines . Maybe a different glue also that isn't affected by the boot baking  .      The caller seem is now like the tear line in a note book.  

There are 5 pairs up now, looking at the pics I don't see any peeling of the liners. They all look as they come from the factory. I'm not clear on what you are talking about- the interior of the skate at the heel?    

Anyone else think the loop Velcro on the tongues need to be a bit better? One of mine is already starting to get pretty fuzzy and not holding on to the hook part as well. 

Would be nice if the velcro on the tongue went up a bit higher too. I have mine lower so it takes away negative space in the toe area, which leaves only half the tongue latched onto the hook part on the boot. 

Might replace the loop part on the tongue with the heavy duty stuff that sticks on with an adhesive backing. 

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/1369495/VELCRO-Brand-Heavy-Duty-Strips-Set/

Edited by Sniper9

2 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Noticed when walking in the skates, from and to the ice a creaking noise almost. Anyone else experience this? 

No but it can be many things.the holder. Steel. Shin guards rubbing. Insoles. Loose rivets. 

I'd first check to see if the bolt for the steel is tight, assuming you have the step holders.  

5 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Noticed when walking in the skates, from and to the ice a creaking noise almost. Anyone else experience this? 

I had that with my One90's years ago. It was a rivet/ holder issue. 

57 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

No but it can be many things.the holder. Steel. Shin guards rubbing. Insoles. Loose rivets. 

I'd first check to see if the bolt for the steel is tight, assuming you have the step holders.  

I had them put on Tuuk Lightspeed holders. Seemed to be only the right skate at first, but noticed it some today with the left. 

On 1/30/2018 at 12:54 PM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

My ULTA tacks are custom. And yes I'm a horrible skater but it's not even close for me. 

I guess to be fair I have worked with them from the beginning.  My grafs are the closest in feel and performance I think. 

Price point is exactly the same here FYI 

Looking at this custom over stock direction of conversation; I suspect these are folks of all different skill levels  .  Some of skill level has to do with experience..  I guess what I'm trying to say is for a relatively new player or skater does the top of the line product do them any better performance wise ?     Also what I find interesting is the language that was never said in my time I played  ; comfort and appearance  . Two things 20 years or so ago i would bet never be said  . Now it's a major part of the decision of what you guys purchase. 

3 hours ago, Buddy said:

I had them put on Tuuk Lightspeed holders. Seemed to be only the right skate at first, but noticed it some today with the left. 

Might be the dreaded edge holder steel click..... U should inspect if the steel is snug. Both laterally and vertically. My guess is no. What steel are you using btw. 

Also it could be rivets since the tuuks were installed after the fact.... 

5 hours ago, Buddy said:

The only creaking I've noticed on my VH skates is when I flex the right tendon guard with my hand. FWIW, I have LS2 holders.

• Like 1