Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

5 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Just figured out a way to use the Powerfoot without cutting anything. Put adhesive  loop Velcro on the Powerfoot that faces up so it actually just hooks into the velcro tab by the toe box... This way u don't need to permanently stick the Powerfoot onto the toe box as well.... 🤙

Nice. 

On 2/7/2018 at 7:47 PM, JDhouston said:

The heel liner pulled down the first time I put them on. So they said to send them back and they will measure compared to my scan and repair the liner. Their website says if they try everything and you still aren’t happy they will remake one time. So we will see. 

I was on eBay the other day looking for blade holders.  I stumbled on a few VH skates for sale  . The common thing on them all was the liner was peaked down in the boot.  It looks like it is tearing at the seam .

21 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Did you figure out how you wanted to install them? Adjusting the tongue all the way up so it doesn't go into the toe box and then having the velcro tab covered by the power foot?  That's what I think I'd do if I were to use it. Don't really wanna have up the power foot. 

But for now having the tongue into the toe box has decreased enough room in the toe box for me to be happy with it. 

Curl like you are trying to grip the insoles?    That is what I liked in a fit . Just a little curle  . I can't feel the front 2/3 of my feet now .  Back when I could I wanted that slite toe bend and that skin to skin of being bare foot .

For the guys who switched from makos to true.  How much stiffer are true skates?  How long did it take to make the transition?  Did you feel it improved any part of your skating?  Do you feel it made you any worse?  

Does anyone think Bauer will implement a skate similar to the makos?

On 2/10/2018 at 9:58 PM, IPv6Freely said:

No thanks I prefer my skate to fit. 

Things were so different. Comfort and skates wasn't ever part of the same sentence.   Breaking in everyone had there ritual.  And fits were in the different brands  . 

2 hours ago, SILVER82 said:

For the guys who switched from makos to true.  How much stiffer are true skates?  How long did it take to make the transition?  Did you feel it improved any part of your skating?  Do you feel it made you any worse?  

Does anyone think Bauer will implement a skate similar to the makos?

I pray one day Bauer will wake up and make a skate with technology from the Mako but I think they have their head up their ass and that won't happen anytime soon. Bauer also thinks that one piece skates are bad too. So much for innovation. 

Though, you can argue, if it ain't broke what's their to fix?

Finally skated with my new Trues in a game tonight and I am very pleased.  The length, which had originally concerned me, was a non-issue.  Took a little getting used to the increased forward pitch from the Step holders, but it wasn't too bad (maybe I'll adjust profile or I'll try to get used to it).  Stiff boot (w/ added impact protection), which I prefer, but plenty of fore/aft flex.  I wouldn't say it felt like a "slipper" as some people say, but it was definitely the most comfortable skate I've ever worn, and feels already broken in.  Considering in the past, I would buy retail and then have to punch/stretch areas, break in using bunga pads, it was nice to skip that entire process.  Sad to get two decent cut marks on the toes already, but so be it...they're hockey skates, not designer shoes.

• Like 3

I just recently put my superfeet insoles into my True skates. I was getting some discomfort in my left foot/leg on the outside muscle. As if I had more pressure on the outside of my left foot. Wore the superfeet last night, and felt much better. Not sure the reason for this, but I do have a metal plate in my left ankle from a broken ankle many years ago, so could of just been some muscle discomfort.

14 hours ago, Buddy said:

I just recently put my superfeet insoles into my True skates. I was getting some discomfort in my left foot/leg on the outside muscle. As if I had more pressure on the outside of my left foot. Wore the superfeet last night, and felt much better. Not sure the reason for this, but I do have a metal plate in my left ankle from a broken ankle many years ago, so could of just been some muscle discomfort.

You may have supination in that foot. If the super feet don't work long term, you may have to see an orthodist or podiatrist to get custom orthotics made. I have it really bad in my right foot and have the same symptoms as you.

Edited by CigarScott

16 hours ago, Buddy said:

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

You may have supination in that foot. If the super feet don't work long term, you may have to see an orthodist or podiatrist to get custom orthotics made. I have it really bad in my right foot and have the same symptoms as you.

That's unfortunate if its the case since True can make the skate to accommodate for that so you don't need special orthotics. But obviously they would have needed that information ahead of time. 

On 2/17/2018 at 5:59 PM, Sniper9 said:

So that pesky rivet came loose again after three skates. Replaced it with copper. Hopefully that's the end of that....

3 skates?  I'd be mighty annoyed to spend all that money and see that happen.  You'd think they would have addressed that issue by now right?

On 2/11/2018 at 10:32 PM, Nicholas G said:

I pray one day Bauer will wake up and make a skate with technology from the Mako but I think they have their head up their ass and that won't happen anytime soon. Bauer also thinks that one piece skates are bad too. So much for innovation. 

Though, you can argue, if it ain't broke what's their to fix?

Big of the Mako boot. The thing is, it didn't seem like a big hit at the higher levels. I don't see Bauer making a boot with a similar likeness. This is just my uneducated guess/opinion ha...

39 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

3 skates?  I'd be mighty annoyed to spend all that money and see that happen.  You'd think they would have addressed that issue by now right?

It's like the hole for that one spot may be stretched a bit or was widened slightly when I swapped the step holder for the tuuk?  I only assume this because this one rivet always seated slightly at an angle as if the hole was a bit too big and when the rivet is pressed it would moved slightly and not be compressed flush, causing it to be easily loosened when strained. 

These are technically the fourth set of holders on these skates. First was the stock step. Two diff edge holders. And now on the ls2. I noticed the issue on the second set of edge after one skate. So it could be the fact so many holders were put on and taken off, or just techs not taking the time when riveting and inspecting their work. I don't plan to change the holders anymore at this point unless due to breakage. Hopefully the copper route does the trick as the other ones seems snug and fine.

Also, It really looks like the carbon sole makes it hard for traditional steel rivets to get a good grip.....

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

That's unfortunate if its the case since True can make the skate to accommodate for that so you don't need special orthotics. But obviously they would have needed that information ahead of time. 

I was just in St. Louis today and was hoping to get fitted for True skates but the scanner wasn't set up yet at the store that received one.

I contacted True a week or so ago and asked if I could ship to Winnipeg molds of my feet and old pair of my orthotics to see in lieu of a foot scan so they can account for my supination and they said no, I could send it foot traces and measurements if I can't get scanned. Well, I'm not dropping four figures on skates that don't fit me correctly..

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

I was just in St. Louis today and was hoping to get fitted for True skates but the scanner wasn't set up yet at the store that received one.

I contacted True a week or so ago and asked if I could ship to Winnipeg molds of my feet and old pair of my orthotics to see in lieu of a foot scan so they can account for my supination and they said no, I could send it foot traces and measurements if I can't get scanned. Well, I'm not dropping four figures on skates that don't fit me correctly..

Not surprising. I doubt they’d be able to do much with them. Either get scanned or send in measurements with the supination pointed out (photos are good to have also).

6 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

It's like the hole for that one spot may be stretched a bit or was widened slightly when I swapped the step holder for the tuuk?  I only assume this because this one rivet always seated slightly at an angle as if the hole was a bit too big and when the rivet is pressed it would moved slightly and not be compressed flush, causing it to be easily loosened when strained. 

These are technically the fourth set of holders on these skates. First was the stock step. Two diff edge holders. And now on the ls2. I noticed the issue on the second set of edge after one skate. So it could be the fact so many holders were put on and taken off, or just techs not taking the time when riveting and inspecting their work. I don't plan to change the holders anymore at this point unless due to breakage. Hopefully the copper route does the trick as the other ones seems snug and fine.

Also, It really looks like the carbon sole makes it hard for traditional steel rivets to get a good grip.....

They have this problem since they came out.  That speaks of a design flaw they seem unwilling or unable to fix.  No one would accept that from Bauer or CCM.  Why do the acolytes accept it from True?

57 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

They have this problem since they came out.  That speaks of a design flaw they seem unwilling or unable to fix.  No one would accept that from Bauer or CCM.  Why do the acolytes accept it from True?

A design flaw how? The inability of rivets grabbing properly to the sole of the boot?  If this is the case, it isn't a just a true problem but a vh problem as well. I think it's probably just as common with the new ccm boots that are also of a monocoque design. I don't think it's so much a flaw that the rivet system needs updating big time now that soles of boots aren't fabric/leather anymore and energy transfer is much more efficient with the carbon boots.  

What true, and other companies should do is start using the t nut design Graf has. Now that most new holders have more or less the same hole pattern, it only makes sense to have bolts that make holder replacement and swapping a cinch.  A cheaper option would be to line the inside sole of the boot with some kind of material that would allow standard rivets to grip better.

Lastly, this issue seems to be resolved simply by alternating steel and Copper rivets. 

EDIT

come to think of it, I never had rivet issues with the stock step holders nor did I with the first set of edge holders I put on. I believe the issues started because when I had my second set of edge holders put on the tech only user copper rivets on the two rear towers and standard rivets on all eight on the front tower. True put copper rivets on the two rear of the front tower, and the first edge holders had the same rivet pattern as Bauer's with the copper on the rear instep of the front tower. When My ls2 holders were put on, they followed the same rivet pattern as when I had the rivet issues where no copper was used on the front tower. I should have told them to put at least two on the front tower. Oh well, I don't see this being an issue that can't be solved simply by adding a couple extra copper rivets in the front tower.  

Edited by Sniper9

8 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

A design flaw how? The inability of rivets grabbing properly to the sole of the boot?  If this is the case, it isn't a true problem but a vh problem. I think it's probably just as common with the new ccm boots that are also of a monocoque design. I don't think it's so much a flaw that the rivet system needs updating big time now that soles of boots aren't fabric/leather anymore. 

What true and other companies should do is start using the t nut design Graf has. Now that most new holders have more or less the same hole pattern, it only makes sense to have bolts that make holder replacement and swapping a cinch. 

Wait a sec...reality check here...  How can you say it's a not a design flaw and they say it's VHs fault and not Trues?  And then you say the rivet system needs updating.  You are defining design flaw!  I also never said it was True.  It doesn't matter who designed it, it was never corrected.  And now that True owns it it is their problem to fix.  Pointing out that you THINK CCM will have a problem, when none has been reported, is kinda silly. You are deflecting.  How they fix it, I have no clue and I don't care.  I'm just saying its a problem they need to fix.  As great as sliced bread is if it kept falling apart when I made my sandwich I'd stop using it to!

Edited by dkmiller3356

5 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Wait a sec...reality check here...  How can you say it's a not a design flaw and they say it's VHs fault and not Trues?  And then you say the rivet system needs updating.  You are defining design flaw!  I also never said it was True.  It doesn't matter who designed it, it was never corrected.  And now that True owns it it is their problem to fix.  How they fix it, I have no clue and I don't care.  I'm just saying its a problem they need to fix.  As great as sliced bread is if it kept falling apart when I made my sandwich I'd stop using it to!

Read my edited post. I edited it while you replied. But like I said. I never had issues with the rivets with step holders from the factory. So really it's not a design flaw. The issue for me arose when I made modifications after the fact and the places where I had my holders swapped didn't use the same rivet/copper pattern that true had. So I assume true is somewhat aware of rivet issues and the need of extra copper rivets for added strength, since they are one of very few companies that utilize four copper rivets per skate.  

1 minute ago, Sniper9 said:

Read my edited post. I edited it while you replied. But like I said. I never had issues with the rivets with step holders from the factory. So really it's not a design flaw. The issue for me arose when I made modifications after the fact and the places where I had my holders swapped didn't use the same rivet/copper pattern that true had. So I assume true is somewhat aware of rivet issues and the need of extra copper rivets for added strength, since they are one of very few companies that utilize four copper rivets per skate.  

ok.. I get that you made changes but you also know there are issues there.  He all know there are issues with the skate there.  It is well documented.  There are also issues with tendon guards (I'm not sure if this were addressed or not to be honest). My overall point is this...  1.  There are problems that need to be addressed.  2.  The True/VH guys on this thread refuse to address concerns and its kind of cultish.

8 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

ok.. I get that you made changes but you also know there are issues there.  He all know there are issues with the skate there.  It is well documented.  There are also issues with tendon guards (I'm not sure if this were addressed or not to be honest). My overall point is this...  1.  There are problems that need to be addressed.  2.  The True/VH guys on this thread refuse to address concerns and its kind of cultish.

I wouldn't defend them if there were issues that arose with my skates. The tendon guard issue is an issue with alot of skates and is mainly bc ppl use the tendon guards to pull off their skates. I had a pair of Bauer's with tendon guards I ruined bc I held on to them while I banged the toe of the skate on the floor to get ice off the blades. My second set of Bauer's I never used the tendon guard to do the above or to remove them and they are in perfect condition after 7 years. 

I'll definitely document if I have issues with my true tendon guards. 

One criticism I do have is that the Velcro on the tongues are horrible and wear out way too fast. 

I've read almost every single page of this thread and the I don't recall rivets being an issue. None more than the odd person have with other skates. The tendon guard thing I will admit seems to have been an issue dating back to vh but i think it has more to do with how the skates are difficult to put on and off and ppl are using the tendon guard as leverage to remove their skates. Scott even mentioned in his videos not to use the tendon guard as leverage. 

Edited by Sniper9

4 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I wouldn't defend them if there were issues that arose with my skates. The tendon guard issue is an issue with alot of skates and is mainly bc ppl use the tendon guards to pull off their skates. I had a pair of Bauer's with tendon guards I ruined bc I held on to them while I banged the toe of the skate on the floor to get ice off the blades. My second set of Bauer's I never used the tendon guard to do the above or to remove them and they are in perfect condition after 7 years. 

I'll definitely document if I have issues with my true tendon guards. 

One criticism I do have is that the Velcro on the tongues are horrible and wear out way too fast. 

I've read almost every single page of this thread and the I don't recall rivets being an issue. None more than the odd person have with other skates. The tendon guard thing I will admit seems to have been an issue dating back to vh.

Fair enough but I still think the crew here is defensive and dismissive of any critique.

And if the same holes were used for the rivets it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by dkmiller3356

9 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Fair enough but I still think the crew here is defensive and dismissive of any critique.

And if the same holes were used for the rivets it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll agree that a lot of people defend the company quite a bit. Imo, since true took over, all the cosmetic issues like glue and uneven stitching should be more strictly quality controlled. 

As for the rivets, it could have been an issue of removing and riveting a number of times causing the holes to widen slightly.  However with a carbon sole it seems that would be less of an issue than traditional soles. But like I said, I can't really say the rivet issue is actually a problem with the design since the issue only started to arise when the tech strayed from trues original rivet pattern.