Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Lol, and if you've seen a Bauer skate get produced, there s tape used in them as well, they just add another layer on top under the insoles.

Bashing a company in a thread dedicated specifically to that company is extremely immature considering your only experience with them is through word of mouth. I would say that in the cost bracket of top of the line skates, Trues aren't even the ones that need to get rivets fixed as often as some of your favourites. 

You've made it clear, you don't like them for no apparent reason and you're content with a skate off the shelf. There's no need to be a dick just to be a dick.

Edited by adam14
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Judging from the direction this thread is going, it seems as if True has become the Tesla of skates...lol.

A bit on the pricey side but worth every penny?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

A bit on the pricey side but worth every penny?

Thread sounds a lot like Tesla threads I've read.  The owners of Teslas worship their cars, even with it's faults, because it's got a fantastic engine/tech and it's got a lot of panache.  They'll defend it to the death even if there are good counter arguments against buying one.  Whereas people who don't own them, nitpick the hell out of the faults and cost, saying they're overrated, without acknowledging the innovation and what Tesla is getting right.  Human nature, albeit somewhat misguided, playing out on both sides.  Personally, I think Teslas have ridiculously amazing engines and cutting edge tech, but there is room for a lot of improvement in QC and tolerances.

Similar to this thread, Trues are not for everyone, but for some they're a real step up in improvement, fit, and innovation (and that's not "kool-aid").  Do they have room for improvement?  Sure.  Full disclosure, I own them, and so far they've been great.  Are they perfect? No.  Could I make a retail skate work for me?  Yes.  But did I reach the point where I saw the value in them vs purchasing a similar cost skate which I would have to mod anyway?  Absolutely.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Thread sounds a lot like Tesla threads I've read.  The owners of Teslas worship their cars, even with it's faults, because it's got a fantastic engine/tech and it's got a lot of panache.  They'll defend it to the death even if there are good counter arguments against buying one.  Whereas people who don't own them, nitpick the hell out of the faults and cost, saying they're overrated, without acknowledging the innovation and what Tesla is getting right.  Human nature, albeit somewhat misguided, playing out on both sides.  Personally, I think Teslas have ridiculously amazing engines and cutting edge tech, but there is room for a lot of improvement in QC and tolerances.

Similar to this thread, Trues are not for everyone, but for some they're a real step up in improvement, fit, and innovation (and that's not "kool-aid").  Do they have room for improvement?  Sure.  Full disclosure, I own them, and so far they've been great.  Are they perfect? No.  Could I make a retail skate work for me?  Yes.  But did I reach the point where I saw the value in them vs purchasing a similar cost skate which I would have to mod anyway?  Absolutely.

I guess that makes sense. I’ll happily enjoy both wearing my True skates and driving my Tesla :26_nerd:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I absolutely agree. I've never had a customer regret buying Trues. But just like you've said for example, the only reason I've held off for example is because I know how hard I am on skates personally and I'm undecided on their durability long term/heavy usage. However from fittings I've done all reports are positive on durability so far 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, adam14 said:

I absolutely agree. I've never had a customer regret buying Trues. But just like you've said for example, the only reason I've held off for example is because I know how hard I am on skates personally and I'm undecided on their durability long term/heavy usage. However from fittings I've done all reports are positive on durability so far 

After 600 fits i can tell you 35% of my customers are on the 3rd and 4th pairs. I have maybe 10% that either decided not for them or went to another skate. I recently had an OHL player that swore X brand was the best but his feet were killing him. Mom and Dad asked if he could try my son's that he had grown out of. Coach said his skating is even better and that was his strength being he is a smaller guy. But I have other guys at that level and higher that tried them and are like no thanks. Not for everyone. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I guess that makes sense. I’ll happily enjoy both wearing my True skates and driving my Tesla :26_nerd:

Just not at the same time I hope.

Edit:

@shoot_the_goalie it also reminds me of Apple discussions I've encountered. Emotions and brands are a funny mix.

Edited by flip12
One more thing...
  • Like 1

How many grams are Teslas and Apples? Can I get them in white with a huge tongue flop? I'm not worried so much about fit, but I don't want them to look dusty next to my Vapor Adv. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I think you got it right, same for the person who mentioned Apple. This is fan thread with some general info, nothing more. The reason I (and others) got caught up in all this is fan threads aren’t what MSH is about. What separates MSH from other sites is MSH is able to be fair and objective. No Pom Pom waving BS like other sites. The other facet of this thread that gets me is, the unwillingness to hear the negative side of the argument. Which I think makes matters worse.

We all welcome a fair and honest analysis of the product and the users experience as long as it’s a two sided discussion. Once we lose our objectivity, we’re not better than any other site out there.

Thsts my early morning low coffee intake rant. I will sit back and follow this thread with the hopes it can be objective, but will refrain from posting.

• Like 3

I've been in my True's 3 months now and personally I can't say enough good things about them. Here in Qatar we have an Expat League and back in November their Pro Rep came out and fitted those who wanted to take the plunge. Of the 17 guys who ordered 16 are very happy. One guy isn't. Since it is Qatar and we don't have a LHS here we have to order everything online. After skating for 3 months I'm ordering a second pair as a backup, I can't ever see putting my foot back into anything else. The other thing I realized looking back at all the years I've skated, even though I thought whatever I was wearing fit, in reality an off the shelf skate didn't fit somewhere and I realized I always settled on the best fit available off the shelf, and not the best fit in reality. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

I think you got it right, same for the person who mentioned Apple. This is fan thread with some general info, nothing more. The reason I (and others) got caught up in all this is fan threads aren’t what MSH is about. What separates MSH from other sites is MSH is able to be fair and objective. No Pom Pom waving BS like other sites. The other facet of this thread that gets me is, the unwillingness to hear the negative side of the argument. Which I think makes matters worse.

We all welcome a fair and honest analysis of the product and the users experience as long as it’s a two sided discussion. Once we lose our objectivity, we’re not better than any other site out there.

Thsts my early morning low coffee intake rant. I will sit back and follow this thread with the hopes it can be objective, but will refrain from posting.

I totally agree.  I think MSH is most helpful when we objectively see both pros and cons to a product through user experience, as no product is perfect.  The point I was making in my post is exactly what you are stating...that we need to see both sides of the coin so that then we can determine for ourselves if there's value in trying out that product.

And no need to refrain from posting in this thread, imho.  I've gained a lot of insight about stick flex across brands, and many other things from your past posts, which I very much appreciate.

But I think it's probably best that we all return to discussing the actual product in this thread...lol.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie
  • Like 2

Well, I played in my first game with the skates tonight. When I pulled them off after the game some of the liner is already worn away, showing the light grey layer  underneath and is possibly separating from the bottom of the tendon guard, as I can see some glue. I don’t know why I am having such bad luck with the skates but it is really starting to upset me. I almost wish I never bought them. I will post some pics later when I get back home. 

Edited by chocks86

22 minutes ago, chocks86 said:

Well, I played in my first game with the skates tonight. When I pulled them off after the game some of the liner is already worn away, showing the light grey layer  underneath and is possibly separating from the bottom of the tendon guard, as I can see some glue. I don’t know why I am having such bad luck with the skates but it is really starting to upset me. I almost wish I never bought them. I will post some pics later when I get back home. 

You mean the material covering the tendon guard? 

45 minutes ago, chocks86 said:

I know how you feel. I had the same experience with the tuuk edge holders. I was losing my mind. But am glad now that it's behind me..... Post pics when you can, if be interested in seeing what you mean. 

Did you use a shoe horn when putting on the skates during the bake fitting. If not, that is a good reason why the lining is separating from the boot. 

Here are the pics. The entire lining is not separating from the boot, its is more so the outer layer of material of the liner that wore away. I did not use a shoe horn when getting them baked, but I had looked at the liner and inspected the rest of the skate, and everything looked ok. Keep in mind that this was the first time I whore this particular pair of skates, as I had them remade after my last issue with the carbon fiber, which they did not fully fix anyway. It looks better but there is still an issue with it. You would think that after having the skates sent back and remade they would have paid particular attention to the concern I had in the first place. I have pretty much gotten over that issue as it is only cosmetic and I would probably be fighting a losing battle but this new problem definitely concerns me, as I don't want it to get any worse.  

9T6Cktp.jpg

jKjgyeH.jpg

8eyLO57.jpg

eWqMxGj.jpg

• Sad 1

For what it's worth My VH's don't have any liner on my tendon guard (just the plastic) and still work fine. After a few years of use some of the liner is starting to get a little loose (I may glue it). It has to be frustrating that you are having issues with a brand new skate. From what I see in the pics it doesn't look like anything major but that is objective of course. Maybe take them to your LHS that sold you the skate and see if they can do anything to repair them before it becomes a major issue. I would contact TRUE no matter what so they are aware of the issue and hopefully they can help fix the problem. That does suck though.......  

I do not need a Grain Belt Nordeast it is just the finest.   

The True skates sound fantastic but not sure they let old fat guys that peaked in 73  buy them.

I am the Al Bundy of hockey.  5 goals one game State bantom tourney down hill since then.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, chocks86 said:

Here are the pics. The entire lining is not separating from the boot, its is more so the outer layer of material of the liner that wore away. I did not use a shoe horn when getting them baked, but I had looked at the liner and inspected the rest of the skate, and everything looked ok. Keep in mind that this was the first time I whore this particular pair of skates, as I had them remade after my last issue with the carbon fiber, which they did not fully fix anyway. It looks better but there is still an issue with it. You would think that after having the skates sent back and remade they would have paid particular attention to the concern I had in the first place. I have pretty much gotten over that issue as it is only cosmetic and I would probably be fighting a losing battle but this new problem definitely concerns me, as I don't want it to get any worse.  

9T6Cktp.jpg

jKjgyeH.jpg

8eyLO57.jpg

eWqMxGj.jpg

That honestly just looks like residual glue to me.....

The glue part between the tendon guard and the ankle pads in the picture might be residual, and if that is all it is than great, but there is definitely either material or paint on the liner that is worn away. As long as it doesn’t get worse I will live with it. It is disappointing though. 

Edited by chocks86
  • Facepalm 1