Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

What is this talk of Generation 4?  Is the current skate then considered Generation 3?  Perhaps it’s exclusive to goalie skates?

Edited by cbhockey22
Added another thought
  • Like 1

Update - 30+ hours clocked on the skates now.

The first time using them they seemed nice but I didn’t perform well with them. I honestly struggled a bit with the weight and adjusting to the skates. As time progressed my body mechanics reset and the skates are now becoming more “dialed in” and are no longer holding me back. Every time I use them I find myself pushing the limits a little more. The biggest thing I noticed is you can walk up your ROH quite a bit with them. I usually skate on a ¾” ROH and am going to be changing to 1” ROH soon. I don’t notice the weight any longer and am starting to get the full benefits of the skates design which is excellent.

I did have some concerns though.....

For example, the tendon guard has a pretty nasty tear in it and the rear portions of the liners look like glue or some type of residue is rubbing off. One skate the ankle area looks like its tearing a little.

I have OCD so I always air out my skates after they are used. In fact, I actually have a dryer at home that I use to keep my gear in tip-top shape. I am sure you can see some True gloves hanging in there. Too bad I don’t have any True pants in there too, hint hint, 😉

I hope the rear ankle area on the liner is not tearing and its just some glue or residue but running my fingers over it the feeling is like the fabric separated, rolled and pulling back.

Video Update: https://youtu.be/xUxabqr59Ec

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Jh25a

Drying rack: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UfRBPVVwIpZEGfLA2

Update: True is sending out a replacement tendon guard and told me to keep an eye on the liner. If I notice the wear getting worse they said to mail them in and its an easy fix. They have seen issues before with the liner separating usually when people do not use a shoe horn when baking the skate. I use a shoe horn every time I put them on though since I struggle to get my feet in them, so that is not my specific issue. I have to admit, their customer service is pretty freaking awesome. 

Edited by Nicholas G

8 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

The glue is nothing. But how did the tendon guard get a tear like that?

Absolutely no clue. It might have been a small defect or tear that got worse when using the skates. Only other thing would be a skate blade cutting across the back of the tendon, which is scary....

On 3/13/2018 at 7:20 PM, cbhockey22 said:

What is this talk of Generation 4?  Is the current skate then considered Generation 3?  Perhaps it’s exclusive to goalie skates?

Doesn't load. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

Absolutely no clue. It might have been a small defect or tear that got worse when using the skates. Only other thing would be a skate blade cutting across the back of the tendon, which is scary....

Only thing I can think of is a skate blade. You would've noticed it when u unboxed, since you said you're OCD about your skates 😁

6 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Only thing I can think of is a skate blade. You would've noticed it when u unboxed, since you said you're OCD about your skates 😁

Looks like s Skate Cut to me also :blink:

4 hours ago, Reddevilpara said:

Looks like s Skate Cut to me also :blink:

Yeah. It's very likely, but such a random location. Good thing I wear cut resistant socks. Last thing I need to do is lose an achilles. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Update - 30+ hours clocked on the skates now.

The first time using them they seemed nice but I didn’t perform well with them. I honestly struggled a bit with the weight and adjusting to the skates. As time progressed my body mechanics reset and the skates are now becoming more “dialed in” and are no longer holding me back. Every time I use them I find myself pushing the limits a little more. The biggest thing I noticed is you can walk up your ROH quite a bit with them. I usually skate on a ¾” ROH and am going to be changing to 1” ROH soon. I don’t notice the weight any longer and am starting to get the full benefits of the skates design which is excellent.

I did have some concerns though.....

For example, the tendon guard has a pretty nasty tear in it and the rear portions of the liners look like glue or some type of residue is rubbing off. One skate the ankle area looks like its tearing a little.

I have OCD so I always air out my skates after they are used. In fact, I actually have a dryer at home that I use to keep my gear in tip-top shape. I am sure you can see some True gloves hanging in there. Too bad I don’t have any True pants in there too, hint hint, 😉

I hope the rear ankle area on the liner is not tearing and its just some glue or residue but running my fingers over it the feeling is like the fabric separated, rolled and pulling back.

Video Update: https://youtu.be/xUxabqr59Ec

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Jh25a

Drying rack: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UfRBPVVwIpZEGfLA2

Update: True is sending out a replacement tendon guard and told me to keep an eye on the liner. If I notice the wear getting worse they said to mail them in and its an easy fix. They have seen issues before with the liner separating usually when people do not use a shoe horn when baking the skate. I use a shoe horn every time I put them on though since I struggle to get my feet in them, so that is not my specific issue. I have to admit, their customer service is pretty freaking awesome. 

Thanks for the great video reviews!

-I too had a longer adjustment period than I thought I would have.  They were so-so when I first skated with them in terms of performance (comfortwise they were great right from the get go).  However, now that I've gotten a bunch of skates on them, I finally feel dialed in.  Haven't adjusted profile, since I prefer the stock Step profile.

-I too am now tying to the top eyelet on the Trues.  Previously, in all my skates, I never tied to the top eyelet.  But something just felt "wonky" skating in the Trues with the top eyelet untied.  Finally tried tying to the top eyelet, and have never looked back.  They feel so much more stable, without really sacrificing a significant amount of flex.

-I too changed the insoles out.  Yes, I know it's not recommended due to the built in arch of the skate, but they just feel better for me.

In regards to your concerns:

-The glue is a non-issue.  Don't worry about it.  However, if the liner is "rolling", that could be an issue.  Odd it's happening as you use a shoe horn (as do I).  Sounds like True will take care of it if it becomes a bigger problem; and I agree, their customer service is really fantastic.

-That tendon guard definitely looks like it was cut, probably by a skate blade.  Good thing True tendons are so easy to replace!  Good for True to send you a replacement free of charge, since that would probably not be considered a defect under warranty.

Let me know which tongue you prefer over time!

The "glue" issue looks like some kind of clear coating rubbing off. It might have something to do with the way the blue lines/graphics are applied to the liner. My first pair of VH skates had grey Clarino liner and nothing like that happened. After 3 years of use, the liner just lost a bit of its original sheen in some spots.

I got my more recent pair just before True came into the picture. It has a brown Clarino liner and also doesn't have those True blue graphics, and after a year there is no sign of wear like in your pictures.

As for skipping the top eyelet, if you place your True skate beside your old skate, you might see that the True's top eyelet is about the same height as the second eyelet of your old skate. That was the case when I compared my VH skate to the Bauer Flexlites that I wore previously.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Larry54 said:

As for skipping the top eyelet, if you place your True skate beside your old skate, you might see that the True's top eyelet is about the same height as the second eyelet of your old skate. That was the case when I compared my VH skate to the Bauer Flexlites that I wore previously.

Right: about the same height as Grafs but much more tapered to the ankle compared to Graf’s flared fit. I think that’s why some players are still skipping the top eyelet in their Trues.

Thinking of taking the plunge after reading all of the reviews, positive and negative.  I have flat feet with very narrow heels and after being in Bauer Vapor APX2s for over a year which have been the best retail option I've been able to find, I still have issues with getting instep soreness when lacing up tight enough to get solid heel lock, due to my lack of arches.

My question to the group is if anyone here has ordered their Trues from Pure Hockey in Northbrook, IL on Pfingsten and how you would rate your experience doing so?  There are a few other retailers in Chicagoland, but this location is the closest to me.  Appreciate any and all insight!

5 hours ago, MrBrownstone said:

Thinking of taking the plunge after reading all of the reviews, positive and negative.  I have flat feet with very narrow heels and after being in Bauer Vapor APX2s for over a year which have been the best retail option I've been able to find, I still have issues with getting instep soreness when lacing up tight enough to get solid heel lock, due to my lack of arches.

My question to the group is if anyone here has ordered their Trues from Pure Hockey in Northbrook, IL on Pfingsten and how you would rate your experience doing so?  There are a few other retailers in Chicagoland, but this location is the closest to me.  Appreciate any and all insight!

I didn't order mine from that store specifically, but I have been to it when I was in town a couple months ago. It's a nice store but am not sure if the staff is trained on scanning for Pure. I think I remember seeing a True skate on display so I would assume they are a fit center. The good news is True will only accept a scan if it meets their requirements. If it does not they will require you to get scanned again until it meets their approval. Both Pure and True have had excellent customer service so I think you are in good hands as long as they know how to properly operate the scanner. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I didn't order mine from that store specifically, but I have been to it when I was in town a couple months ago. It's a nice store but am not sure if the staff is trained on scanning for Pure. I think I remember seeing a True skate on display so I would assume they are a fit center. The good news is True will only accept a scan if it meets their requirements. If it does not they will require you to get scanned again until it meets their approval. Both Pure and True have had excellent customer service so I think you are in good hands as long as they know how to properly operate the scanner. 

Thanks for the info!!  I stopped in at the location to check out the skates in person, and they told me the manager who wasn't there was the only one qualified to do the scans.  Good to know the scans are held to high standards.

On 3/17/2018 at 8:12 AM, MrBrownstone said:

Thanks for the info!!  I stopped in at the location to check out the skates in person, and they told me the manager who wasn't there was the only one qualified to do the scans.  Good to know the scans are held to high standards.

Yeah, the scan is literally the most important thing. I would also highly recommend sending in the measurements as well for extra measure. Also, if you have something like a very high arch which can alter the skate length when using custom orthotics you will absolutely need to mention that as well. I have heard from a significant number of people recently who have such issues that their skates felt too long when they used the custom orthotics. 

• Thanks 1

Always be sure to point out anything important from day one. Bumps, arch weirdness, pronation, etc. They can accommodate all of it if you mention them up front. 

• Thanks 1

Alright, took the plunge during my lunch break today - thanks @Nicholas G and @IPv6Freely for your tips.  I provided all the issues going on with my feet/ankles, but it was pretty clear from the scan how flat my feet were in addition to the problems that has caused with my ankles. The technology developed for the scan was pretty amazing to see in person, considering how accurate the resulting 3D model appeared.  Now the waiting game begins!

Is upgrading to Step Blacksteel no longer an option after the True acquisition?  For some reason I thought it was available with the Step holders for an upcharge but was told that only the standard Step runners are available.

5 minutes ago, MrBrownstone said:

Alright, took the plunge during my lunch break today - thanks @Nicholas G and @IPv6Freely for your tips.  I provided all the issues going on with my feet/ankles, but it was pretty clear from the scan how flat my feet were in addition to the problems that has caused with my ankles. The technology developed for the scan was pretty amazing to see in person, considering how accurate the resulting 3D model appeared.  Now the waiting game begins!

Is upgrading to Step Blacksteel no longer an option after the True acquisition?  For some reason I thought it was available with the Step holders for an upcharge but was told that only the standard Step runners are available.

I don't think blacksteel is available yet for the step holders but could be wrong. 

On 2/20/2018 at 1:11 PM, Zac911 said:

I may have had a few heated discussions with @JunkyardAthleticthat go back 12 or so years,  but he's also a friend of mine and I can just pick up a phone as well and hash it out with him. 

FU :biggrin:

BTW, the boy keeps asking when you're coming down to play hockey with him again.  Claims that his Sherwood Rekker outplays TRUE...

Edited by JunkyardAthletic

1 hour ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

FU :biggrin:

BTW, the boy keeps asking when you're coming down to play hockey with him again.  Claims that his Sherwood Rekker outplays TRUE...

Last time I came down to see you-  You told me and I quote... " Chuck you Farley... "

12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I don't think blacksteel is available yet for the step holders but could be wrong. 

Pretty sure they are available. Actually I know they are. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Yeah, I saw they are available for purchase now at HockeyMonkey, but it would be nice if I could customize and receive them as part of my order rather than buying aftermarket.  I sent an email to True just now to see if there is any way I can upgrade as part of my initial order - we'll see what happens.

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

So they are! 

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/351186 

1 hour ago, MrBrownstone said:

Yeah, I saw they are available for purchase now at HockeyMonkey, but it would be nice if I could customize and receive them as part of my order rather than buying aftermarket.  I sent an email to True just now to see if there is any way I can upgrade as part of my initial order - we'll see what happens.

Let us know, I'm curious if they will do that for you.

• Like 1