Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

23 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Anyone who says you cannot feel 100-200 grams is full of sh*t because you absolutely can.... can you imagine if a stick was 600+ grams vs 400 grams.....

Bet I can prove you wrong...EASILY!  Did it 15 years ago and can still do it today with ease.

19 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

No idea. I have never worn any type of shot blocker before. I assume it probably about the same weight as wearing a good brand skate shot blocker. 

My shot blockers weigh 180 grams each, Skate Fender Full Pro small - medium that cover all of the skate. So the built in shot blockers are much heavier than an external one.

But I am interested in how stiff the built in shot blockers make the skate. I'm looking for a super stiff skate in the area of the inner ankle that won't move when the ankle leans in against it. If these are as stiff as you say and hold their boot shape after many hours of skating then I might direct some players towards True specifically for this reason.

@smu, you should consider this.

I can't make a comparison between a True skate w/o shot blockers, but I have the Trues with the shot blockers and in comparison to my last skate (CCM Tacks 1st Gen), they are slightly stiffer.  I prefer a very stiff skate when it comes to lateral movement as I tend to lean hard on them.  The Trues do allow a lot of forward flex though depending on choice of tongue and how you lace.  I'm surprised True doesn't put comfort edges on their ankles like the other big brands, but it hasn't been an issue thus far.

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

My shot blockers weigh 180 grams each, Skate Fender Full Pro small - medium that cover all of the skate. So the built in shot blockers are much heavier than an external one.

But I am interested in how stiff the built in shot blockers make the skate. I'm looking for a super stiff skate in the area of the inner ankle that won't move when the ankle leans in against it. If these are as stiff as you say and hold their boot shape after many hours of skating then I might direct some players towards True specifically for this reason.

But what's the difference in weight between two True skates of the same size, one with integrated shot blockers and one without? My blockerless VH skates weigh around 830 grams each. NicholasG's skate weighs 1020 grams. That's 190 grams difference but my skates are around size 6.5 with size 254 LS2 holders, whereas his are a couple sizes larger with size 272 Step holders. So it sure doesn't look like the integrated shot blockers are "much heavier" than external ones if at all.

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 3

If he is comparing it to his FT1's then it's not really a fair comparison as they are lighter and without shot blockers. Add shot blockers to the FT1's (FT1's @ 740 grams and full shot blockers at 180 grams) and the difference is around 100 grams to the slightly heavier integrated True. My size 6 one100's with shot blockers weigh the same as his larger sized True.

• Like 1

Is the wick liner the only one available now with True? When I ordered my skates last Sept, I don't recall seeing the tan clarino as an option and don't see any posts of clarino after true took over. 

I ask this because I find when my feet start to sweat, the skates almost feel a bit slippery inside. I wonder if the clarino would have had better grip. Or maybe I should change socks. I currently wear the Bauer elite ng socks..... I should try my old under armor hockey sock liners to see if that helps.... Maybe the Bauer socks just don't wick as well since due to the cut resistant material. 

32 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Is the wick liner the only one available now with True? When I ordered my skates last Sept, I don't recall seeing the tan clarino as an option and don't see any posts of clarino after true took over. 

I ask this because I find when my feet start to sweat, the skates almost feel a bit slippery inside. I wonder if the clarino would have had better grip. Or maybe I should change socks. I currently wear the Bauer elite ng socks..... I should try my old under armor hockey sock liners to see if that helps.... Maybe the Bauer socks just don't wick as well since due to the cut resistant material. 

It’s clarino, just not tan. 

On 4/11/2018 at 5:49 AM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I can't make a comparison between a True skate w/o shot blockers, but I have the Trues with the shot blockers and in comparison to my last skate (CCM Tacks 1st Gen), they are slightly stiffer.  I prefer a very stiff skate when it comes to lateral movement as I tend to lean hard on them.  The Trues do allow a lot of forward flex though depending on choice of tongue and how you lace.  I'm surprised True doesn't put comfort edges on their ankles like the other big brands, but it hasn't been an issue thus far.

I wish they did put comfort pads. That area bruises my ankles after some really hard skates. I'm going to have to mod it myself to resolve it. 

On 4/11/2018 at 3:12 AM, Vet88 said:

The shot blockers make the skate more stiff than anything I have ever used. Much stiffer than pro stock Vapor, Super Tacks, FT1, and everything else I have ever owned. You literally cannot squeeze the sides closed. Look for my review video on YouTube. 

10 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I wish they did put comfort pads. That area bruises my ankles after some really hard skates. I'm going to have to mod it myself to resolve it. 

Is it the inside, outside or both that dig in?

I was frustrated with the digging on the outside ankle on my MLX and did a rebake where I made sure to flex my ankle as I would at the deepest point of a push. It helped quite a bit.

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

Is it the inside, outside or both that dig in?

I was frustrated with the digging on the outside ankle on my MLX and did a rebake where I made sure to flex my ankle as I would at the deepest point of a push. It helped quite a bit.

This area specifically 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHsES4jXy0Vl5f9g1

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Just use bunga pads or an equivalent.

Not to sound like a primadonna, and I am sure people will flame me for saying this, but when you order custom skates that are specifically designed to fit a players foot you shouldn't need to "hack" solutions together. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Please use the multi-quote function @Nicholas G. It's the little plus (+) under the post. Thanks.

Thanks. I'll start using it. For some reason, in my current browser, it didn't display/format the page properly. In firefox and chrome, it seems fine though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Is that the outside/lateral or inside/medial ankle?

20 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Not to sound like a primadonna, and I am sure people will flame me for saying this, but when you order custom skates that are specifically designed to fit a players foot you shouldn't need to "hack" solutions together. 

If True fixes this part of their skate recipe, they’ll be so close to perfection!

9 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Yes, you still may have to.  Figure skates are prime examples of this.

Any measurement/casting/3d scan is static - your foot is dynamic.  It can't account for irritation/movement.  

• Like 2

Got my skates a week ago and had a chance to use them for the first time on Saturday - these skates are unbelievable and worth every penny.  Absolutely no negative space anywhere in the boot, and the difference from my Vapor APX2's is like night and day.  I should preface this by stating that I have extremely flat feet and somewhat wonky ankles as a result that are probably contributing to the huge benefit of custom skates over retail, but my only complaint is that I didn't take the plunge sooner.

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

Is that the outside/lateral or inside/medial ankle?

If True fixes this part of their skate recipe, they’ll be so close to perfection!

Both the inside of the left ankle and the outside of the right ankle are problem areas. 

32 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Yes, you still may have to.  Figure skates are prime examples of this.

Any measurement/casting/3d scan is static - your foot is dynamic.  It can't account for irritation/movement.  

Very true. I fit figure skates all the time and they are beyond stiff and quite terrible requiring a TON of adjustment. But I have never fit a pair of figure skates that had a 3D foot scan though ;)

On 4/11/2018 at 12:02 AM, JunkyardAthletic said:

Bet I can prove you wrong...EASILY!  Did it 15 years ago and can still do it today with ease.

my current skates are about 200grams lighter than my old skates and its a night and day difference. especially with overall leg fatigue throughout a game

3 minutes ago, asgoodasdead said:

my current skates are about 200grams lighter than my old skates and its a night and day difference. especially with overall leg fatigue throughout a game

Just for perspective and to bring science into this.

Weight: 150 grams vs 124 grams 

Blade weight at full stride extension: 600 grams vs 496 grams

Average strides per game: 1000

Blade weight transferred per game: 600kg vs 496kg

600kg - 496kg = 104kg less weight transferred per game which equals 229lbs.

That's with comparing 26 grams of weight difference. Now imagine 200 grams.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

But I have never fit a pair of figure skates that had a 3D foot scan though ;)

But they're made the same way.  Everyone is still building up lasts at this point.  

All the scan is doing is giving them more detail.  Now, if it completely missed a spot on your foot, blame the scan.  But if it's not enough space and you have to create a punch, or it doesn't have enough padding and you have to add a Bunga pad, that's just a part of the breaking in/tweaking process.

• Like 2