Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

26 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Which raises an interesting question about customs and possibly their biggest negative point, why would anyone buy a 2nd hand custom boot made for a random player who you have no idea of what shape their foot is? At least with retail you know what you are getting which makes me wonder if 2nd hand customs will hold their price versus retail. 

Because people want to beat their chest and say "I have so and so's skates."  Not much different than buying pro stock/custom gloves, pants, sticks, etc., except custom skates are "truly" custom, if you catch my drift.

7 hours ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

Because people want to beat their chest and say "I have so and so's skates."  Not much different than buying pro stock/custom gloves, pants, sticks, etc., except custom skates are "truly" custom, if you catch my drift.

I'd say there is fairly big difference between pro-stock skates and pro-stock gloves, pants & sticks. Your average hack can use anyone of those items without impacting his or her game. Skates on the other hand, if they dont fit, well you know how that goes.

FWIW, I buy pro-stock sticks because it's good value. I could care less who's name is on the nameplate (most of the time it's someone I've never heard of). 

23 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I'd say there is fairly big difference between pro-stock skates and pro-stock gloves, pants & sticks. Your average hack can use anyone of those items without impacting his or her game. Skates on the other hand, if they dont fit, well you know how that goes.

FWIW, I buy pro-stock sticks because it's good value. I could care less who's name is on the nameplate (most of the time it's someone I've never heard of). 

My point was/is that the majority of buyers want to pound their chest about the pro player item they've purchased more than it's usefulness.

Taking sticks as an example, the reality is that anyone can be accustomed to use any flex and curve given time to get used to it, yet, it isn't made to their specs.

31 minutes ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

My point was/is that the majority of buyers want to pound their chest about the pro player item they've purchased more than it's usefulness.

Taking sticks as an example, the reality is that anyone can be accustomed to use any flex and curve given time to get used to it, yet, it isn't made to their specs.

I only rock the Warrior W28 Yakupov sticks for this reason.

15 hours ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

I've been involved in pro hockey, in one way or another for 22 years.  I post from professional experience in seeing these things first hand.  Sure, opinions are like assholes; one is always bigger than another, however, NOTHING has changed with regards to custom skates.  Ask Jeremy Roenick about his experience in LA with Easton skates and every skate rep being called at 11pm to be at the practice rink by 8am in order to fit him for skates.

Your belief is that if you spend that kind of money, it should be perfect right out of the box.  You'd think that would be the same whether you paid +$1000 or a NHL team paid $+900USD for the same.  Unfortunately, there's a preconceived notion that custom skates should be PERFECT, and that's just not how it works.  It certainly doesn't work with the TRUE brand fitting system and hate to say it, it will ALMOST work with the Bauer, but not 100%.

I've seen one of the top NHL players IF NOT THE top NHL player receive skates from the company HE endorses and the skate was off!  As a matter of fact, said player got the skates in last years playoffs and spent all of this season in last year's model skate (cue the Google searchers...LOL).

I've seen a TRUE brand skate fitting.  It is ANYTHING but perfect.  I was invited to watch how it works and I wanted to kill myself after it was complete.  It was that painful to watch and I felt bad for the fitter!

What I came away with is that there's so much room for error just because of how the fitter has to move around.  If TRUE had created a track with a tripod attached that the iPad could fit in and could slide around and capture all of the proper angles, I think that it would improve the fitting process and the final fit of the skate for the consumer.

Would it be 100%, no, however, it might be closer than the "try and hold the iPad properly and walk around this poor bastard you're trying to fit, while making him/her stand in different poses to get the fit.

While I agree with you that the scanning fitting process looks a little funny while the fitter is doing it, does it matter if the resulting scan is accurate as a result of the utilized 3D mapping technology?  I was surprised how accurate and detailed the 3D model of my foot appeared after undergoing the True scan, and the fit in at least my personal experience exceeded my expectations and was dead on.

What I was told about the CCM technology is that it is done with feet elevated off the ground while the customer is sitting.  Not sure if this is to map the bottom of the foot as well, but I'd be more skeptical of a process like this that doesn't account for the difference in shape your foot takes when all of your body weight is put on it.  Based on your description of the pro, I'm guessing he is sponsored by CCM and wondering if they used this tech for the ill-fitting skates in last year's playoffs?  Can you comment if said pro is in this year's playoffs to narrow it down, lol? 

23 minutes ago, MrBrownstone said:

Based on your description of the pro, I'm guessing he is sponsored by CCM and wondering if they used this tech for the ill-fitting skates in last year's playoffs?  Can you comment if said pro is in this year's playoffs to narrow it down, lol? 

Nothing to do with the scan.  He said it was last year.

27 minutes ago, MrBrownstone said:

While I agree with you that the scanning fitting process looks a little funny while the fitter is doing it, does it matter if the resulting scan is accurate as a result of the utilized 3D mapping technology?  I was surprised how accurate and detailed the 3D model of my foot appeared after undergoing the True scan, and the fit in at least my personal experience exceeded my expectations and was dead on.

What I was told about the CCM technology is that it is done with feet elevated off the ground while the customer is sitting.  Not sure if this is to map the bottom of the foot as well, but I'd be more skeptical of a process like this that doesn't account for the difference in shape your foot takes when all of your body weight is put on it.  Based on your description of the pro, I'm guessing he is sponsored by CCM and wondering if they used this tech for the ill-fitting skates in last year's playoffs?  Can you comment if said pro is in this year's playoffs to narrow it down, lol? 

My understanding is the technology the True licenses for use is the same technology that CCM will be using as well. They just perform the scanning differently. 

2 hours ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

The only chest pounding I typically come across is people letting everyone know they weren’t dumb enough to spend $299 for a top of the line stick. 

• Like 2

So I spoke with Rob at True, he is the Operations Manager for True Skates. He mentioned there are a few options to drop weight in the skate.

On average a True boot is roughly 10-30 grams heavier and depending on the boot size is sometimes lighter than other brands.

40-50 grams of weight is due to the Step steel and STEP/VH holders so swapping to Tuuk holders and a smaller or lighter steel LS2/Byonic would drop unsprung weight.

Shot blockers add roughly 40-50 grams of weight per skate but cannot be removed as they are incorporated into the design. The stiffness he said will break in over time =. It might take a while but it will eventually become less rigid. 

He said they do have special lightweight tongues that they can supply that will save 30-40 grams compared to the metatarsal ones I currently have. Not sure which tongues those are but I am very excited to see them. 

I used to use Pro Stock sticks but with dealer staff discount from manufacturers being so significant there is no a cheaper option for the top of the line sticks. 

1 hour ago, StinkyPinky said:

I only rock the Warrior W28 Yakupov sticks for this reason.

7 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

The only chest pounding I typically come across is people letting everyone know they weren’t dumb enough to spend $299 for a top of the line stick. 

2 hours ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Edited by Nicholas G

35 minutes ago, MrBrownstone said:

That's interesting, I wish True was doing heat scanning on the bottom of the foot like CCM does as I have bad supination in one foot and would like to have that factored in. On the other hand, CCM not doing a scan around the foot and lower leg concerns me. I have thick calves and ankles where I'm getting lace bite in my Nexus skates so it CCM won't factor that in, that would make me think twice about ordering a custom pair from them.

Left boot has a squeaky sound when I lean forward on dryland. Loose blade in holder? Loose screw in holder? I barely bunny hop the boards, ugh.

Edited by KennyWu

43 minutes ago, KennyWu said:

Left boot has a squeaky sound when I lean forward on dryland. Loose blade in holder? Loose screw in holder? I barely bunny hop the boards, ugh.

My skates have done that since day one. I only hear it and dont feel anything when on dry land. I dont hear or feel anything it on the ice. 

Edited by Nicholas G

2 hours ago, CigarScott said:

That's interesting, I wish True was doing heat scanning on the bottom of the foot like CCM does as I have bad supination in one foot and would like to have that factored in. On the other hand, CCM not doing a scan around the foot and lower leg concerns me. I have thick calves and ankles where I'm getting lace bite in my Nexus skates so it CCM won't factor that in, that would make me think twice about ordering a custom pair from them.

CCM's scan accounts for the whole foot and halfway up the shin, not just the bottom of the foot.

Not sure where you figured it was just the bottom of the foot.

2 hours ago, KennyWu said:

Kick it down then re-tighten.

35 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

You're right; I must have must has misread something...

They literally say the scan gives them a 3D look at a person's foot.

Yo my Educated Dudes, I'm from the UK and thinking of getting some True wheels.

The price to get hold of some over here sucks ass compared to US and CAD prices as there's only currently one store that offer them.

I'm planning a trip to New York in May and my genius idea was to get scanned while I was over there and place an order so I can pay US price, does anybody have any information of where I can get hooked up with a True retailer in New York?

26 minutes ago, 69thurnis420 said:

The price to get hold of some over here sucks ass compared to US and CAD prices as there's only currently one store that offer them.

I'm planning a trip to New York in May and my genius idea was to get scanned while I was over there and place an order so I can pay US price, does anybody have any information of where I can get hooked up with a True retailer in New York?

Westside Skate is apparently the skate mecca of NYC. https://westsideskate.com/

They're a True dealer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 69thurnis420 said:

Oh man. Prepare for the anti-True crowd to bombard you for drinking to kool-aid.

9 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

Oh man. Prepare for the anti-True crowd to bombard you for drinking to kool-aid.

As opposed to the fan-Boys telling you they’re right up there with sliced bread and the wheel....

• Like 4

21 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

I am one of the people you would say is "anti-true" and I posted no such thing - in fact I seconded West Side Skate as the place to go for his fitting.  All we did is make a fair accounting of the issues that have been reported.  And if you read the last few pages in the thread you will see them posted by True owners themselves.  

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:43 AM, 69thurnis420 said:

The price is actually cheaper purchasing from the UK. Also if anything goes wrong I'm sure it would be easier to sort out closer to home.

The only positive you would get going to Westside Skate is the fitters greater experience.

On 4/18/2018 at 4:50 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

I am one of the people you would say is "anti-true" and I posted no such thing - in fact I seconded West Side Skate as the place to go for his fitting.  All we did is make a fair accounting of the issues that have been reported.  And if you read the last few pages in the thread you will see them posted by True owners themselves.  

I'll be honest. I have mixed feelings about the skates. Certain things I love and other things I dislike. But that's the way it is with most things in life. If you want it to be exactly the way you want you need to do build it yourself or find someone to build it for you. 

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I'll be honest. I have mixed feelings about the skates. Certain things I love and other things I dislike. But that's the way it is with most things in life. If you want it to be exactly the way you want you need to do build it yourself or find someone to build it for you. 

Can you elaborate on the pros and cons? I’m especially curious about your perspective because you Said you also had your best skating experience in Grafs. Additionally, how would you say these stack up to other current top boots you’ve tried?

Edited by flip12