Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Thanks. All

14 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I would suggest that a skate made for your foot will always fit better than one that wasn't. The question is whether it's worth the extra cost to you.

To add to that, a retail skate isn't made for your foot either. So what difference does it make if you buy a retail skate not made for your foot or a pro stock skate that was also not made for your foot?

To be honest when you're my age an extra few hundred pounds for a skate that will last years is neither here nor there. I recently upgraded to top end pads, and the increased comfort and mobility is well worth having, and I feel I am playing better as I no longer notice the pads, apart from the weight of course. The question I have is whether or not a better skate fit is anything more than a lack of spare space inside the foot. Sorry if this seems to be a stupid question, but the space around my toes in my Supremes does not bother me. In other words, does it have a practical impact? Of course comfort is worth having if it makes you skate better. 

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.  I've been skating for a long time now, and I'm one of those people that notice even the smallest differences/discomfort/changes in my skates (kinda like a "princess and the pea" thing).  It's probably why I have modded my retail skates so much in the past, and even with True skates, I've made many small trial and error adjustments to dial in the fit I prefer.  I think ultimately, in terms of fit, if the boot is comfortable and doesn't give you any pain, it fits, because if you're getting pain after the break-in period (i.e. lace bite, arch pain, blisters, hotspots, etc), that's your foot telling you you're in the wrong type/size skate.  After that, IMHO fit is subjective, generally speaking.  If you like room in the toe box, or you like your toes up against the cap, that's personal preference.  Could you dial in the fit even more to gain a bit more efficiency and response, sure...but if you're not having pain, I think in general, the skate fits.

In regards to whether a high end boot might be too much for you, depends on your technique and personal preferences...  I prefer very stiff skates cause I lean very hard on my edges, so I've always gravitated to the higher end, stiffer models, and with my Trues, I have the built in shot blockers for both protection and added stiffness.  IMHO, you should get a slightly stiffer boot than you can handle.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

After that, IMHO fit is subjective, generally speaking.  If you like room in the toe box, or you like your toes up against the cap, that's personal preference.  Could you dial in the fit even more to gain a bit more efficiency and response, sure...but if you're not having pain, I think in general, the skate fits.

I'm with you there. Just finding a skate that doesn't hurt to skate in is enough of a battle. 

Having no negative space means you aren't losing energy transfer. If money is no object then either going with the CCM full pro custom option or the True skates would be what I would choose (I like the flexible tendon guard on the True skates and they're the most similar to the Easton Makos I currently wear, so I would lean toward the True skates).  The True skates, CCM Jetspeed FT1 and Tacks AS1 are also all one piece boots, they have no separate outsole; this should also help maximize energy transfer. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

sure...but if you're not having pain, I think in general, the skate fits.

Oh if only this were true. Over the years I've coached many people who, as soon as they step on the ice, I can see something is wrong with how their skates fit. Later on when I quiz them and have a look at their skates and how they fit, they are in skates that are 1 - 2 sizes too big for them or in a EE instead of a D. Why I ask? "because they don't hurt" is the reply. I know that for us gear heads we have a good understanding of how skates should fit but the majority of people out there (and I'm including people who have skated for years) sadly have very little idea of how a skate should fit. Ergo customs like True are a game changer for them if they ever get into them, they don't have to understand why but finally here is skate that fits them (as long as the measurements etc are correct).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Oh if only this were true. Over the years I've coached many people who, as soon as they step on the ice, I can see something is wrong with how their skates fit. Later on when I quiz them and have a look at their skates and how they fit, they are in skates that are 1 - 2 sizes too big for them or in a EE instead of a D. Why I ask? "because they don't hurt" is the reply. I know that for us gear heads we have a good understanding of how skates should fit but the majority of people out there (and I'm including people who have skated for years) sadly have very little idea of how a skate should fit. Ergo customs like True are a game changer for them if they ever get into them, they don't have to understand why but finally here is skate that fits them (as long as the measurements etc are correct).

In my experience, I've noticed that those who are wearing ill-fitted skates that say "they don't hurt"; their mistakes eventually catch up with them and results in some kind of discomfort/pain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Thanks all. 

18 months ago I was fitted with skates by someone who works as a hockey coach. No pain, apart from when I regularly fell on my backside when moving slowly and my feet shot forwards, and once I left blood on the ice from a head wound. I soon realised they were way too big, and bought boots elsewhere that fitted. In 18 months not one single unexpected fall due to feet shooting forwards. And no head wounds. 

It sounds like I can’t go wrong with the VH, even though I might not gain as much as hoped. 

I had a look at the Bauer 2s yesterday. Very very stiff. Massive tongue, and I mean massive, with hard plastic on the top side. Large tendon guard. Loads of squishy foam in the ankle area to compensate for the lack of custom fitting. I’m inclined to think they are way beyond my needs. As the lad (and co owner) in the shop said “you could skate in them, but you don’t need them”. I’ve examined VH skates, and they are more like hand made gloves. 

On 5/30/2018 at 10:09 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Anybody have experience with changing an eyelet on their True skates?  Took a shot to the foot tonight (didn't hurt) but damaged one of my eyelets pretty good.

Pretty easy to change out. Our shop does it all the time. 

On 5/23/2018 at 8:57 PM, mc88 said:

For the weight-watcher junkies (268mm or about a size 8 skate):

VH Gen 1 - w/o shot blockers - black felt tongue -  w/o shims - standard foot-beds - Elite Wide Unwaxed 96" - Step BlackSteel (874g || 1lb 9.2oz)

yKebLOx.jpg 

VH Gen 2 - w/shot blockers - black felt tongue - 1/16th shim - standard footbeds - Howies Waxed 96" - LS3 DLC steel (921g || 2lb 0.5oz)

IFvKTBC.png

True Gen 1 - w/shot blockers - white felt tongue - 1/8th shim - standard foot-beds - Howies Waxed 96" - Tydan DLC + Mirror (986g || 2lb 2.8oz)

iKdowSy.png

I noticed the True Gen 1 skates you show dont have the piece under the hell of the skate. I think its only cosmetic and doesn't really add any lift though.  

18 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Pretty sure if you order them without the Step holder you don’t get the heel cup. 

Ive done 15+ with the holder and 2 where the customer provided GRAF holders. Only the STEP holders get the insert. I assumed they added it (being the holder) because it sits better on the naked carbon heel. I've a few Gen 1 and 2 where the heel of the holder is warped/bent because they didn't have a flat surface to be mounted on pre-TRUE

5 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

Ive done 15+ with the holder and 2 where the customer provided GRAF holders. Only the STEP holders get the insert. I assumed they added it (being the holder) because it sits better on the naked carbon heel. I've a few Gen 1 and 2 where the heel of the holder is warped/bent because they didn't have a flat surface to be mounted on pre-TRUE

Don't they now have a flat heel surface built into the carbon fiber? On the left is the original VH skate, and on the right is the last VH model before True bought them and before the Step holder was available.

VH2c.JPG

1 minute ago, Larry54 said:

Don't they now have a flat heel surface built into the carbon fiber? On the left is the original VH skate, and on the right is the last VH model before True bought them and before the Step holder was available.

VH2c.JPG

I think that’s true as well, some of the much earlier VH models we saw for repairs and sharpenings did not have that flat spot at all. I think as you ordered closer to the rebranding they addressed that. I’m guessing that little plastic piece helps, at least going off what our rep told us.

5 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

I think that’s true as well, some of the much earlier VH models we saw for repairs and sharpenings did not have that flat spot at all. I think as you ordered closer to the rebranding they addressed that. I’m guessing that little plastic piece helps, at least going off what our rep told us.

Makes sense. Thanks for the insight. We have a lot of players with Pre-True skates and lower generation VH skates that are swapping to the Step holders and I have seen a few issues with getting a very flat mounting. Each time we have used a very thin piece of polycarbonate between the skate and the holder. 

As part of a rink build I'm doing, I ended up talking to a True EM today who is on tour in our part of the world with a Canadian and American team. He had a pair of True skates for one of the Canadian players that was in my length. Haha, it took me 5 goes to work out how to get the boot onto my foot. These had built in shot blockers and would be the stiffest pair of boots I have ever seen!!! 

I will get scanned just to have a look at the process but sadly I think these are not for me now that I've held one and tried it on. I don't think I can go back to a boot that locks around the ankle now that I skate lace free. But I do appreciate why they would be the one of the best fitting, if not the best, pair of boots most players will ever own.

Officially done with the Makos since I can't find them anymore, and I am on the VH train now. Huge shout out to the crew at TRUE for hooking me up with these. Took less than two weeks from getting scanned to having the skates in my hands. Already baked them and the first skate will be next week which coincidentally will be the first time back on the ice since my season ended too.

Can't wait.

36384664_10155655936313527_3964989601507

• Like 3

Howdy,

I'll be interested to hear details about what you think are the differences between Makos and the Trues...  I'm in Makos now which were the first skates that I felt like they "fit".  I'm figuring it'll be Trues next for me as well.

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I'll be interested to hear details about what you think are the differences between Makos and the Trues...  I'm in Makos now which were the first skates that I felt like they "fit".  I'm figuring it'll be Trues next for me as well.

Mark

I went through the same transition also. For me, the upgrade from Mako to VH was about the same level of “WOW” as the upgrade from other skates to Mako, in terms of comfort. Makos were amazing, VH took it to a whole other level.

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

I was one of the largest proponents of the Mako skates, both the I and II when they launched. I skated in the MLX before those. Now having gone through each version of the skate on up to the True version I can say that the fit is largely unchanged. Same wrap, some minor changes such as a taller toe box (at least in my case).

Basically, you won't have much to worry about if anything at all. Adjusting on the ice is always varies from person to person. 

• Like 1

Anyone know what this is about?

I'm planning on getting scanned in the next week or so, but if True is making changes I might delay.

There has been a bunch of stores getting in their scanning tech and other stuff they needed to make their store a fit center recently... so I still think it's a promo of some sort.

I doubt they are releasing another skate.