Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

15 hours ago, boo10 said:

Anyone know what this is about?

I'm planning on getting scanned in the next week or so, but if True is making changes I might delay.

Maybe they're now going to be offering physical moulded lasts instead of just 3D lasts?  My best guess.

So, been skating in my trues for about 6-8 weeks now and still can't seem to get them dialed in.  Definitely feel like I've lost a step or two in straight line speed.  Had my blade profiled (from the stock LS3) to a combo radius with a little more forward pitch, hasn't really done much.  (For reference I am coming from a pair of Bauer one.9's that I used to leave the top eyelet undone.)

I've been lacing the trues all the way up, that is about the last thing I feel I can fiddle with to see if I can get comfortable on them.  

Anyone have any advice?

29 minutes ago, navy21 said:

So, been skating in my trues for about 6-8 weeks now and still can't seem to get them dialed in.  Definitely feel like I've lost a step or two in straight line speed.  Had my blade profiled (from the stock LS3) to a combo radius with a little more forward pitch, hasn't really done much.  (For reference I am coming from a pair of Bauer one.9's that I used to leave the top eyelet undone.)

I've been lacing the trues all the way up, that is about the last thing I feel I can fiddle with to see if I can get comfortable on them.  

Anyone have any advice?

Could add a 1mm shim between the boot and tower, for the pitch as well. A rebake too could potentially help. It's definitely an adjustment coming from any other pair of skates besides VH or Makos.

Have you tried skippinge the top eyelet? Trues are lower but closer cut. A lot of pros who’ve switched from Bauer to True still skip the top eyelet.

Also, can you say anything about something that might feel off, i.e. does the boot feel in the way when you start or when you get up to speed? Or does it feel unstable? Some insight into why it feels like you’re missing some speed could help for the trouble shooting.

8 hours ago, flip12 said:

Have you tried skippinge the top eyelet? Trues are lower but closer cut. A lot of pros who’ve switched from Bauer to True still skip the top eyelet.

Also, can you say anything about something that might feel off, i.e. does the boot feel in the way when you start or when you get up to speed? Or does it feel unstable? Some insight into why it feels like you’re missing some speed could help for the trouble shooting.

The skates definitely feel stable, which is an upgrade since I pronate significantly and had to be cognizant of where my center of gravity was on my right skate in order to get to my outside edge.  I guess I would say the skates feel "heavier" than my old skates, like I can't move my feet as quickly as I used to....if that makes any sense.  

I'm starting to think that even though they don't feel "tight" that they might be too restrictive.  Hopefully skipping the top eyelet or re-baking and opening up the throat area that wraps around the front of my ankle will improve....just hoping this doesn't leave me with a sloppy heel. 

Just was wondering if anyone out there went through a significant adjustment period with the skates.

3 minutes ago, navy21 said:

The skates definitely feel stable, which is an upgrade since I pronate significantly and had to be cognizant of where my center of gravity was on my right skate in order to get to my outside edge.  I guess I would say the skates feel "heavier" than my old skates, like I can't move my feet as quickly as I used to....if that makes any sense.  

I'm starting to think that even though they don't feel "tight" that they might be too restrictive.  Hopefully skipping the top eyelet or re-baking and opening up the throat area that wraps around the front of my ankle will improve....just hoping this doesn't leave me with a sloppy heel. 

Just was wondering if anyone out there went through a significant adjustment period with the skates.

I experienced obstruction from my MLX on starts, which led me to realize how much more ankle room I had in my 703's. I don't have a heatgun yet but my plan is to get one and spot heat the top of the boot to open it up. I suggest you go that route too if you want to try to add ankle room: simply spot heat at the top to make adjustments there but leave the rest of the boot as cold as possible, so as to preserve the wrap and heel fit you've developed from your initial bake. It might be impossible not to soften the heel a bit, so I'd try and be ready with clamps to make sure the heel doesn't open up on you when you do it.

I'd only do a full rebake if you're not happy with the other major fit areas as well: forefoot wrap, heel lock, etc. What I notice, even when I don't have the room I like for good starts in my MLX, is the insane connection to the ice on turns at high speed. Have you at least had some good experiences in your Trues like that or do they feel sluggish all-around?

Definitely feel good on turns, especially since my foot is so stable and the blade feels better centered under my right foot.  

That's a good idea with the heat gun....I'll give that a go before doing a full re-bake.  I had to do that already at about the 4th/5th eyelet down when I got the skates, in oder to get my feet in them.  I left the wrap at the top alone though.

• Like 1

I'm not in Trues, but when I went from Supremes to Makos I found a similar issue.  I left the top two undone on my Supremes, but since the Makos were lower, I didn't feel like I could do that, so, I laced them all the way up and felt like I lost some forward flex. So, I went to 55 flex and that fixed the issue.  Now, the problem is that 55 flex is no longer around (add it to the list of innovations that went away), so, I've had to get GREAT SAVES alternative.  I actually don't like them as much as the 55 flex, but after some fiddling, got them to work like my old set up.

So, my point is, if your other attempts don't work, you might want to try the lace extender to improve flex.  Again, I felt exactly the same way when I initially moved to Makos. 

21 hours ago, navy21 said:

Yes.  Took me much longer than I thought to adjust to Trues from my old skates.  Had to do a bunch of tinkering around too to get it dialed in (nothing major).  Very happy with them now, and much better fit than any previous skate I've worn.

2 hours ago, dimpledballs said:

July 15th is the last day you can order a pair of skates without holder + steel according to my local pure hockey. 

I just called the Pure Hockey that I got scanned at in Texas and they confirmed it for me. 😞 Now I have to order them a week before I was ready to.

39 minutes ago, cbhockey22 said:

Can you still send in whatever holder/steel you want for them to attach or does this mean you must use the TRUE/STEP holder?

No the whole point is that they want you to use their holder. You can always swap it out later. 

14 minutes ago, cbhockey22 said:

Thanks for mansplaining, NOW I get it

How was it mansplaining if it directly answered the question that was asked? *shrug*

• Like 1

I just talked to my contact at Pure Hockey and he said that he was told that Step pressured True to stop accepting "boot only" orders and threatened to stop supplying True if they didn't.

Not a fan of the discontinuation of “boot only” option. Yes- mine shipped with the Step holder, then after catching a HARD shot to the ball of my foot, I immediately installed a Vaughn cowling when I got home.  I was thinking that I may get my next pair in the next year or so.

It could easily change by the time I re-order, or I may get an old favourite Graf boot, provided they are still around when I reorder skates. It all depends on how I feel about things.

Still a fan of the VH/True boot, however.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CigarScott said:

I just talked to my contact at Pure Hockey and he said that he was told that Step pressured True to stop accepting "boot only" orders and threatened to stop supplying True if they didn't.

Too bad for those getting the boot for inlines- extra money for holders/steel and holes they don't need.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Too bad for those getting the boot for inlines- extra money for holders/steel and holes they don't need.

Yeah, I think that was one of the big attractions to True for a lot of people was this feature. Now if you're compelled to spend the full price on these and get holders and runners that you don't want then I think more people will just spring for the Bauer or CCM customs as they're better known brands and have a far bigger dealer network. We'll see if True regrets caving to Step and not looking at replacing them with Tydan or another third party blade maker...

I wonder since Bauer makes inline skates that they'll be offering custom skates with wheels on them?

Edited by CigarScott

7 hours ago, CigarScott said:

Yeah, I think that was one of the big attractions to True for a lot of people was this feature. Now if you're compelled to spend the full price on these and get holders and runners that you don't want then I think more people will just spring for the Bauer or CCM customs as they're better known brands and have a far bigger dealer network. We'll see if True regrets caving to Step and not looking at replacing them with Tydan or another third party blade maker...

I wonder since Bauer makes inline skates that they'll be offering custom skates with wheels on them?

The single holder for both skater and goalie is a big cost saver for inventory. I am betting it still benefits VH/True big time, especially going through one supplier. I would probably surmise less pressure from Step and more of a cost-saving incentive. I would bet the pro teams ordering the skates would still be able to go boot only. 

Think about this: you can now easily buy the replacement runners as a spare part, both a benefit to True AND Step. Again- I think it is less pressure and more incentive for True. Before True got involved, VH was a boot maker. Selling a complete skate makes  customers more likely to keep the stock holders and buy replacement steel. 

Remember this: it is a decently easy remedy to repair too many holes in a composite outsole.

Edited by bunnyman666

20 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Not a fan of the discontinuation of “boot only” option. Yes- mine shipped with the Step holder, then after catching a HARD shot to the ball of my foot, I immediately installed a Vaughn cowling when I got home.  I was thinking that I may get my next pair in the next year or so.

It could easily change by the time I re-order, or I may get an old favourite Graf boot, provided they are still around when I reorder skates. It all depends on how I feel about things.

Still a fan of the VH/True boot, however.

Did you get the added protection in them? I've gotten hit a few times on the skates but have never felt anything, not sure if that is luck or what.

13 minutes ago, Hills said:

Did you get the added protection in them? I've gotten hit a few times on the skates but have never felt anything, not sure if that is luck or what.

Did not know that was an option. Mine were made in the midst of the change over...