Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

A goalie friend of mine got some True skates. He said he got fitted at a retailer but went through a friend of his who's an equipment manager of an NHL team. He said that he was told (I don't know if it was from his friend or from the store fitter) that the quality of True's NHL boot is superior to the one available to the typical consumer. He didn't know the precise details, but my question to the True fitters on this board is: Is there any truth to this, or was someone bullshitting him?

Edited by Larry54

My three year old VH's are finally starting to give me sign's I need to save for a new pair. The carbon on the heel wrap is starting to flake and crack. Think I'm gonna just cover it with epoxy and hope for the best. They're still as responsive and stiff as ever. I've never had a pair of boots hold up this well for this long. Caveat, I switched the tongues and steel out.

10 hours ago, Larry54 said:

A goalie friend of mine got some True skates. He said he got fitted at a retailer but went through a friend of his who's an equipment manager of an NHL team. He said that he was told (I don't know if it was from his friend or from the store fitter) that the quality of True's NHL boot is superior to the one available to the typical consumer. He didn't know the precise details, but my question to the True fitters on this board is: Is there any truth to this, or was someone bullshitting him?

Who knows? When it was just VH, it was most likely false as even the pros were buying their own boots; with True in the picture, could be true or false. You should compare his boot versus a stock one. 

11 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I would be really interested to hear the detail / evidence of the claims this trainer is making.  How did this person come to this conclusion?  

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Wouldn’t surprise me but I’m not in the NHL so it’s completely irrelevant to me.

You’re not?!?

• Haha 1

For those wondering if you have really tiny or large feet and being stuck with Step holders that are too big or small, here is the response that I got from True:

The size for our TRUE holders are from size 238 to 306.

If a customer requires a holder larger or smaller then our range, we will mount Edge holders.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zac911 said:

I would be really interested to hear the detail / evidence of the claims this trainer is making.  How did this person come to this conclusion?  

Like I said, but maybe not clearly enough, I'm not sure if it was the trainer or the store rep who told him that. It might just be some sales bull, or to make my friend feel like he's receiving a special favor getting a supposedly "pro spec" version. When I asked him for details, he wasn't able to tell me. He's not exactly a gear geek. So for the record, Zac, does the regular Joe get exactly the same product as the NHL pro?

Edited by Larry54

49 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

Like I said, but maybe not clearly enough, I'm not sure if it was the trainer or the store rep who told him that. It might just be some sales bull, or to make my friend feel like he's receiving a special favor getting a supposedly "pro spec" version. When I asked him for details, he wasn't able to tell me. He's not exactly a gear geek. So for the record, Zac, does the regular Joe get exactly the same product as the NHL pro?

Unless there is something specific the player is asking for ( I have seen some players ask for lacing patterns to be cut back etc etc stuff like that )-  No.  The process and materials are the same.  It's even in one of the videos they did.  Scott himself said it-  We don't have a Pro Stock Version and a Retail Version.  They make the skate exactly the same way for the Pros as they make yours.  

Edited by Zac911
spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, Zac911 said:

Unless there is something specific the player is asking for ( I have seen some players ask for lacing patterns to be cut back etc etc stuff like that )-  No.  The process and materials are the same.  It's even in one of the videos they did.  Scott himself said it-  We don't have a Pro Stock Version and a Retail Version.  They make the skate exactly the same way for the Pros and they make yours.  

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured.

I think it would be great to get the collective “friends of an NHL eqm’s mother’s aunt who works at a gym and trains the second cousin of an ECHLer who walks their dog with a hockey monkey employee” together in a room to see what kind of absurd gear theories they can come up with. 

“Trues are actually repainted Megas from 1990”

”A lot of pros use Bauer sticks painted as CCMs”

Etc. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Now you're just playing with my emotions! 😛

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 5:25 AM, flip12 said:

Have you tried skippinge the top eyelet? Trues are lower but closer cut. A lot of pros who’ve switched from Bauer to True still skip the top eyelet.

Also, can you say anything about something that might feel off, i.e. does the boot feel in the way when you start or when you get up to speed? Or does it feel unstable? Some insight into why it feels like you’re missing some speed could help for the trouble shooting.

Funny you should mention that. Before getting my first pair of VH skates almost 5 years ago, I skipped the top eyelet on Bauer Flexlites. When I got the VH skates, I had all the forward flex I needed even laced to the top. Those skates were lighter and more flexible than my current pair of VH skates that I've had for about a year and a half. I've been struggling a bit with limited knee flex with the new, much stiffer VH skates. I tried different lacing patterns with different types of laces (regular, waxed, and oval). For the last month or so, I've been omitting the top eyelet, partly inspired by posts by Vet88 and Amazinmets73. After having gone through a short adjustment period, I'm finally feeling the same agility and mobility that my old VH skates provided. It's as if the boot is so secure to my foot below the second eyelet that I don't need the additional stability that the upper eyelet provides.

On 7/18/2018 at 7:55 AM, Cavs019 said:

I think it would be great to get the collective “friends of an NHL eqm’s mother’s aunt who works at a gym and trains the second cousin of an ECHLer who walks their dog with a hockey monkey employee” together in a room to see what kind of absurd gear theories they can come up with. 

”A lot of pros use Bauer sticks painted as CCMs”

Etc. 

You mean neither are true?!?

Coach Jeremy has a short mini review of these on YouTube. Someone posted a comment that they own some, and they lose a couple of rivets each month, and they have several friends with the same problem. Can I assume this is BS? Presumably it is someone who sells some other brand of skates, and wants to discredit True. Or a childish ‘prank’. 

Hey guys,

Took the plunge after trying on every top end skate and not being able to fit a pair without some sort of pressure point or slippage.  Have 2 sessions on these so far and they feel great however I'm concerned with some of the quality control of the finished product in a few points.  On the same part of both skates I have a gap on the seam and also a bit of cracking on one part of the boot.  Should I send these back to be refinished?  It's a lot of money to spend on a pair of skates that could have stuff easily fraying off or coming loose because of poor finishing.

Here's the album

https://imgur.com/a/GA0aqR5

Thanks for your input

10 hours ago, Leif said:

Coach Jeremy has a short mini review of these on YouTube. Someone posted a comment that they own some, and they lose a couple of rivets each month, and they have several friends with the same problem. Can I assume this is BS? Presumably it is someone who sells some other brand of skates, and wants to discredit True. Or a childish ‘prank’. 

I realize that this is a big thread, but there has been some discussion about rivets with skates like these and other composite boots (Synergy/Mako).

Steel rivets don’t sink into carbon fiber well. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, justmikethen said:

Hey guys,

Took the plunge after trying on every top end skate and not being able to fit a pair without some sort of pressure point or slippage.  Have 2 sessions on these so far and they feel great however I'm concerned with some of the quality control of the finished product in a few points.  On the same part of both skates I have a gap on the seam and also a bit of cracking on one part of the boot.  Should I send these back to be refinished?  It's a lot of money to spend on a pair of skates that could have stuff easily fraying off or coming loose because of poor finishing.

Here's the album

https://imgur.com/a/GA0aqR5

Thanks for your input

I wouldn't worry about the glue/epoxy on the carbon fiber of the boot.  That's pretty typical for Trues and won't be an issue in the near or far term.  It's really just cosmetic.  The liner issue, seems like a bigger issue.  I don't think it's gonna really cause any serious issues except premature wear, but it does look like the liner was sloppily done.  Your liner on the tendon guard in one of the pictures looks a bit sloppy too.

On 7/4/2018 at 3:58 AM, navy21 said:

So, been skating in my trues for about 6-8 weeks now and still can't seem to get them dialed in.  Definitely feel like I've lost a step or two in straight line speed.  Had my blade profiled (from the stock LS3) to a combo radius with a little more forward pitch, hasn't really done much.  (For reference I am coming from a pair of Bauer one.9's that I used to leave the top eyelet undone.)

I've been lacing the trues all the way up, that is about the last thing I feel I can fiddle with to see if I can get comfortable on them.  

Anyone have any advice?

I've had a pair (actually 2) for a year now and have similiar issues.  The first pair I had major heel slippage and volume issues in, so they agreed to make me a second pair.  The second pair feels the same way, minor heel slippage in my left boot and lots in my right made even worse by them putting in the wick liner instead of the clarino like I requested in my first pair.  IMO they made the instep depth too deep in both pairs (I can fit over 1 finger under a pencil when doing that test).  My turns are great and I can really feel my edges, but I feel like a dump truck when doing quick starts and stops/directional changes.  Leaving the top eyelet undone helped me, but it wasn't earth shattering. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Superjet said:

I've had a pair (actually 2) for a year now and have similiar issues.  The first pair I had major heel slippage and volume issues in, so they agreed to make me a second pair.  The second pair feels the same way, minor heel slippage in my left boot and lots in my right made even worse by them putting in the wick liner instead of the clarino like I requested in my first pair.  IMO they made the instep depth too deep in both pairs (I can fit over 1 finger under a pencil when doing that test).  My turns are great and I can really feel my edges, but I feel like a dump truck when doing quick starts and stops/directional changes.  Leaving the top eyelet undone helped me, but it wasn't earth shattering. 

Which footbeds have you tried?

Had similar good turns and bad starts with heel slippage in MLX. Adding another insole to reduce volume helped a lot.

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

Which footbeds have you tried?

Had similar good turns and bad starts with heel slippage in MLX. Adding another insole to reduce volume helped a lot.

So far I’ve tried the stock footbeds with one red footbed underneath, and also blue superfeet with a red footbed underneath.  Both felt about the same.  I think it’s not so much the shape of the heel in the back of the skate, its the lack of pressure applied by the tongue/laces to hold my foot back into the boot.  Pics for ref.  I'm wondering if i could have someone add "cutback" eyelets to these?

281F604C-A365-4BEC-A51E-6BF3D081FC9D.jpe01CF33B9-C552-41B8-A284-13B493C77476.jpe

Edited by Superjet
add pics

That sucks and for a "custom" built boot I'd be asking True some questions. Have you sent these pics to them? imho that isn't a good fitting boot and no wonder you feel some heel slippage, that would be like skating with your laces undone. Only upside I can think of is you will never, ever get lace bite.....

As a work around, have you considered putting something under the tongue to fill the space, eg get another thick felt tongue and cut it to shape to fill the void and then adhere it in place. Use velcro first so you can adjust / replace / fiddle as necessary until everything feels right. Again, i'd be reaching out to True for help.

1 hour ago, Superjet said:

So far I’ve tried the stock footbeds with one red footbed underneath, and also blue superfeet with a red footbed underneath.  Both felt about the same.  I think it’s not so much the shape of the heel in the back of the skate, its the lack of pressure applied by the tongue/laces to hold my foot back into the boot.  Pics for ref.  I'm wondering if i could have someone add "cutback" eyelets to these?

281F604C-A365-4BEC-A51E-6BF3D081FC9D.jpe01CF33B9-C552-41B8-A284-13B493C77476.jpe

Have you tried a rebake to induce more wrap? The CCM insoles are also the thickest I've come across, may want to give those a go?

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

That sucks and for a "custom" built boot I'd be asking True some questions. Have you sent these pics to them? imho that isn't a good fitting boot and no wonder you feel some heel slippage, that would be like skating with your laces undone. Only upside I can think of is you will never, ever get lace bite.....

As a work around, have you considered putting something under the tongue to fill the space, eg get another thick felt tongue and cut it to shape to fill the void and then adhere it in place. Use velcro first so you can adjust / replace / fiddle as necessary until everything feels right. Again, i'd be reaching out to True for help.

I haven’t contacted them about the second pair. I was so disappointed in the whole experience, so I tried a few things on my own, like the insoles and lacing patterns.  I even asked the shop to measure for the second pair manually in addition to a new scan, but they said that was unnecessary. I feel like that would have pointed out the issue as well. I added another red layer to try tonight, but I’ll try emailing true directly instead of going through the shop I purchased them from.  I’m pretty sure the shop is tired of me anyways.