Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

54 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yes I have done it. Ended up using a heat gun to soften the tops and sticking a softball into the top of the skate (to keep it open) and tossing it in the freezer to quickly cool it. Worked great. 

As for the insole - yes I had insole issues also and they replaced them immediately. They should be able to replace the tongues also if they aren't what you ordered. They're attached by velcro so its an easy swap out.

As for re-baking, I baked mine at home in the first place anyway. Never took them to a shop. Its easy if you're careful. 

Thank you for the insight. I will email them about the tongues too then.

1 hour ago, smu said:

Did you first ask your LHS to convey what you wanted in your skate after the scan was completed and passed onto True?

If so, I would think you should have got what you asked for and if they could not do it that should have been made known to you.

I don't have True skates, I was quoting @goodguy.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:09 AM, SILVER82 said:

In your quote you say "Again it can be done not by matching the profiles or pitch because both are different" Im confused.  I will most likely go from makos to trues someday and am curious about this.  What did you mean? do you mean by using spacers? Or do you actually mean the trues can be profiled to feel the same as the makos?

Does anyone know if the skate can me built differently to feel more like the mako? making them not as stiff?

it's a custom skate. they can do pretty much anything.  That being said again. I have converted 2 of the most well known skating coaches.  one jr one sir from makos to True do YES it can be done. 

9 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

it's a custom skate. they can do pretty much anything.  That being said again. I have converted 2 of the most well known skating coaches.  one jr one sir from makos to True do YES it can be done. 

Call Rob Thompson with VH (True now) he once was able to just about do anything for the customer, I know this as a fact, but it maybe different with the True by-out.

Here is the number, 204-415-5910 wait for the list to come up and select #5 I believe then wait for his #9 I believe. He was fantastic to deal with on what you can and cannot do, hopefully he is still in the same position to give you service directly!

On 10/30/2018 at 7:01 PM, flip12 said:

I don't have True skates, I was quoting @goodguy.

Edited by smu
  • Like 2

I'm in Mako II's since they came out and I love the fit for the most part  (little heel slip) but my holders have either become bent or were installed wrong. Left boot is now noticeably more biased toward my inside edge than the right. I'm trying to bring them in to LHS for a fix but I'm looking to figure out my options if they can't do anything for me.

I've got a local store in NYC that fits for these and I've read on Reddit and it seems that most people love these boots and the process of the 3D fit at this store. I have a unique foot and I've tried on every skate under the sun since 2015 and nothing has felt right really other than Mako, but the heel is a bit deep and rounded compared to my more narrow/pointy heel. I've also got fairly low volume foot, so much so that the newer vapors have even had a little too much room.

Anybody shed light on going from Mako to VH or point me to the page in this thread which discusses that?

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

I'm in Mako II's since they came out and I love the fit for the most part  (little heel slip) but my holders have either become bent or were installed wrong. Left boot is now noticeably more biased toward my inside edge than the right. I'm trying to bring them in to LHS for a fix but I'm looking to figure out my options if they can't do anything for me.

I've got a local store in NYC that fits for these and I've read on Reddit and it seems that most people love these boots and the process of the 3D fit at this store. I have a unique foot and I've tried on every skate under the sun since 2015 and nothing has felt right really other than Mako, but the heel is a bit deep and rounded compared to my more narrow/pointy heel. I've also got fairly low volume foot, so much so that the newer vapors have even had a little too much room.

Anybody shed light on going from Mako to VH or point me to the page in this thread which discusses that?

You're in the right thread 🙂

There's a few of us who went from Mako to VH, myself included. Honestly, there's not much to say. The comfort and fit of the Mako was simply amplified even more going to VH. That being said, I didn't actually like the forward pitch of the Mako so I had my runners profiled at a slight negative to compensate - so going to the VH boot was easy. Oh, and I wore the Makos as a forward and VH as a goalie so there's that too. But strictly from a comfort and fit perspective of the boot itself it was an easy transition. I didn't think it could get any more comfortable than the Mako... until I tried the VH 🙂 

Not sure how helpful that will be for you, but that was my experience at least. 

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

You're in the right thread 🙂

There's a few of us who went from Mako to VH, myself included. Honestly, there's not much to say. The comfort and fit of the Mako was simply amplified even more going to VH. That being said, I didn't actually like the forward pitch of the Mako so I had my runners profiled at a slight negative to compensate - so going to the VH boot was easy. Oh, and I wore the Makos as a forward and VH as a goalie so there's that too. But strictly from a comfort and fit perspective of the boot itself it was an easy transition. I didn't think it could get any more comfortable than the Mako... until I tried the VH 🙂 

Not sure how helpful that will be for you, but that was my experience at least. 

Certainly helpful. My only real gripe with the Mako fit is the heel area. I have a pretty large 5th met bone but I was able to punch that out enough to get rid of the hot spot but the heel area I could never manage to fit me right now matter how much I tried. I tend to have a more narrow/pointy heel and I feel like that the Mako's is just a touch more open and round back there. I tried squeezing the crap out of it while heating it up... not much help. 

If LHS can't adjust my holders I'll probably have to go VH so it's good to hear these fit even better. 

7 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Certainly helpful. My only real gripe with the Mako fit is the heel area. I have a pretty large 5th met bone but I was able to punch that out enough to get rid of the hot spot but the heel area I could never manage to fit me right now matter how much I tried. I tend to have a more narrow/pointy heel and I feel like that the Mako's is just a touch more open and round back there. I tried squeezing the crap out of it while heating it up... not much help. 

If LHS can't adjust my holders I'll probably have to go VH so it's good to hear these fit even better. 

Well if everything on the Mako fits except that, then you should expect that part to also fit in VH 🙂 

Ordered mine today after stalking these forums for the last few years. I’ll be sure to post pics and a thorough review once they get here.

And if I don’t like them, I will be forced to hold all of you personally accountable.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well if everything on the Mako fits except that, then you should expect that part to also fit in VH 🙂 

Yeah my #1 thing I'd be looking for is better heel lock and maybe just a hair more width around the mid foot... but with a 3D scan there shouldn't be any issues I'd assume. The boot should have a little protrusion from that 5th met bone I'd wager? 

I also didn't love how forward pitched the mako holder is. It felt significantly more forward than Tuuk which I was in for years. I'm pretty much used to it now but I always felt a little more stable on the slightly more neutral tuuk's. 

10 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Yeah my #1 thing I'd be looking for is better heel lock and maybe just a hair more width around the mid foot... but with a 3D scan there shouldn't be any issues I'd assume. The boot should have a little protrusion from that 5th met bone I'd wager? 

I also didn't love how forward pitched the mako holder is. It felt significantly more forward than Tuuk which I was in for years. I'm pretty much used to it now but I always felt a little more stable on the slightly more neutral tuuk's. 

Yea and if you have a specific issue with that spot they can note it on the order. I have a bump on my big toe that they built around. In any other skate (other than Mako) I have to put a silicone cover over my big toe. 

I got these for my son, he’s been using them for a few months. What is with the weight? The Trues feel significantly heavier when compared with top of the line offerings from Bauer and CCM. Enough to make me question if we made the right choice. 

I get the comfort aspect, and the Trues certainly deliver when it comes to foot comfort - but the weight seems significant enough to effect how light a player is on their feet and for a kid/person playing at a competitive level... is being a little more comfortable worth the loss of foot speed due to the increased weight (in comparison to other brands) of the Trues. 

Side note: I knew going in that the Trues were technically heavier... but I’m really surprised at the difference when comparing them to other skates of similar size.

Edited by Healthyscratch

2 minutes ago, Healthyscratch said:

I got these for my son, he’s been using them for a few months. What is with the weight? The trues feel significantly heavier when compared with top of the line offerings from Bauer and CCM. 

I get the comfort aspect, but the weight seems significant enough to effect how light a player is on their feet. 

I've heard people say this, interested to know, too.

I will say though.. my Mako's are crazy light and taking a shot off them is literal foot death. I got a horrible deep bruise and perhaps small fracture from a slap shot. Couldn't walk for days after and my ankle didn't bend the same way (took the shot off the met guard) for months. I almost want a slightly heavier for beefy skate to help stop this.

Took my first hard clapper on the inside of my let foot. Any other skate I would have been limping and miss at least one shift. I felt it but I didn't skip a beat. There was a bruise the day after but nothing like it would be with another skate. 

2 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

I got these for my son, he’s been using them for a few months. What is with the weight? The Trues feel significantly heavier when compared with top of the line offerings from Bauer and CCM. Enough to make me question if we made the right choice. 

I get the comfort aspect, and the Trues certainly deliver when it comes to foot comfort - but the weight seems significant enough to effect how light a player is on their feet and for a kid/person playing at a competitive level... is being a little more comfortable worth the loss of foot speed due to the increased weight (in comparison to other brands) of the Trues. 

Side note: I knew going in that the Trues were technically heavier... but I’m really surprised at the difference when comparing them to other skates of similar size.

True skates are heavy.  There is no getting around it.  You say you knew this going in, yet are surprised?  Not entirely sure I understand that....

Anyway.

If you're asking 'why' they're heavier, it's mostly because the entire True boot is made of heat-moldable carbon fiber weave, while skates from Bauer and CCM use thermoformable composite plastics.  True's carbon weave is MUCH stronger than the plastics used in other skates...but it's also quite a bit heavier. 

Also, steel makes a big difference - particularly now that all True skates ship with Step holders and Step runners.  For all of its wonderful qualities, Step is notoriously heavy steel.  

In the end, there is absolutely a trade-off; comfort, protection, and performance vs. weight.  Is it worth it?  The answer to that will necessarily vary from player to player.  For me, it's worth it.  For 68 NHL players, it's worth it.  For your son?  Only he can answer that....

N.B.  By way of comparison, my Trues with a size 272 Step holder and Step Blacksteel runners are 21.8% heavier than my old Bauer TotalOnes...  

Edit:  Many people have fit issues (Haglund's Deformities, unusual foot geometry, flat or high arches, bunions, extreme pronation, etc....) that make off the shelf retail skates a virtual impossibility.  For them, even the lightest skates on the market would feel like they weighed a metric shit-ton, simply because they'd be so damn uncomfortable.  When the choice becomes a skate that weighs more vs not being able to play at all, most people will choose to deal with a few extra grams....

Edited by Santos L Halper
Added pertinent information...
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Santos L Halper said:

True skates are heavy.  There is no getting around it.  You say you knew this going in, yet are surprised?  Not entirely sure I understand that....

Anyway.

If you're asking 'why' they're heavier, it's mostly because the entire True boot is made of heat-moldable carbon fiber weave, while skates from Bauer and CCM use thermoformable composite plastics.  True's carbon weave is MUCH stronger than the plastics used in other skates...but it's also quite a bit heavier. 

Also, steel makes a big difference - particularly now that all True skates ship with Step holders and Step runners.  For all of its wonderful qualities, Step is notoriously heavy steel.  

In the end, there is absolutely a trade-off; comfort, protection, and performance vs. weight.  Is it worth it?  The answer to that will necessarily vary from player to player.  For me, it's worth it.  For 68 NHL players, it's worth it.  For your son?  Only he can answer that....

N.B.  By way of comparison, my Trues with a size 272 Step holder and Step Blacksteel runners are 21.8% heavier than my old Bauer TotalOnes...  

Edit:  Many people have fit issues (Haglund's Deformities, unusual foot geometry, flat or high arches, bunions, extreme pronation, etc....) that make off the shelf retail skates a virtual impossibility.  For them, even the lightest skates on the market would feel like they weighed a metric shit-ton, simply because they'd be so damn uncomfortable.  When the choice becomes a skate that weighs more vs not being able to play at all, most people will choose to deal with a few extra grams....

Fantastic post. 

• Thanks 1

I guess I'm old enough now to play the 'back in my day' card and explain to these whippersnappers what a heavy skate really is. Not to mention if my dad spent a grand on skates and I whined to him that they were too heavy, he would've duct taped 20lbs weight to my ankles everyday and told me to get stronger to get used to the weight. I've been around this game long enough and worn enough pairs of skates that given a choice I'm taking a pair of True/VH over every pair I've ever worn. Not only for the comfort/fit factor but because I actually think the fit of the skate will put you in the proper position and make you a better skater. OK maybe not a better skater, you're not gonna go from beer leaguer to McDavid, but maybe a better way to describe it is skating will feel more natural. Count me in and call me a Kool-Aid drinker but as far as I'm concerned I won't use another skate.

5 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

How old is your son? 

With all of the obsession over skate weights, the fastest skaters today are still only just as fast as the fastest were when top of the line was Graf 703s, CCM 652 Vacu Tacks, Bauer Supreme 7000s, etc. McDavid has posted some slightly faster times, and certainly the speed of average players has increased, but there isn't a new class of top end speed. To me that means you're not capped because of your skate weight. It's more about finding the skate that allows for the natural technique to unlock your maximum potential, 100% in agreement with @the_game. That could be a slightly heavier skate or a slightly lighter one.

It's one thing to think your stride rate diminishes from wearing a heavier skate. That could be true. But a lower stride rate could also be caused by a more natural stride, leading to more efficient skating that requires fewer strides to keep up with the pace. I'd be interested if skating lap times decrease because the heavier skates do make one slower. I'm just saying, a slower stride rate doesn't necessarily mean a slower lap time, or less speed overall.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nicholas G said:

How old is your son? 

Hehehe...I intentionally neglected to ask that. 

But since you went there.....

My feelings as a skating coach regarding the wisdom of purchasing custom skates for young skaters are well documented in this thread.

• For those that don't want to scroll through 160-odd pages of posts, put simply, I believe that, barring a significant physiological concern that can only be addressed by a custom product, ANY custom skates are a complete waste of money for youth players whose bodies (and feet) are still growing and developing.

If a kid is still pre-pubescent and doesn't have a glaring 'fit issue', then, why on earth would anyone spend $800US (or more...) on a pair of skates that won't fit for longer than 6 months?  To my economical (read: cheap-assed) nature, it just doesn't make sense.

However, in the end, whether it's OP's money or another parent's, they can spend it however they want.  If only custom will do, then you can't go wrong with True....but at least go into it with eyes open....they're gonna be heavy and they won't fit next year!

45 minutes ago, flip12 said:

With all of the obsession over skate weights, the fastest skaters today are still only just as fast as the fastest were when top of the line was Graf 703s, CCM 652 Vacu Tacks, Bauer Supreme 7000s, etc. McDavid has posted some slightly faster times, and certainly the speed of average players has increased, but there isn't a new class of top end speed. To me that means you're not capped because of your skate weight. It's more about finding the skate that allows for the natural technique to unlock your maximum potential, 100% in agreement with @the_game. That could be a slightly heavier skate or a slightly lighter one.

It's one thing to think your stride rate diminishes from wearing a heavier skate. That could be true. But a lower stride rate could also be caused by a more natural stride, leading to more efficient skating that requires fewer strides to keep up with the pace. I'd be interested if skating lap times decrease because the heavier skates do make one slower. I'm just saying, a slower stride rate doesn't necessarily mean a slower lap time, or less speed overall.

I would not confuse top end speed with acceleration. The acceleration rate of players today is dramatically faster than in the past. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I would not confuse top end speed with acceleration. The acceleration rate of players today is dramatically faster than in the past. 

Neither would I.

• Haha 1

Something just occurred to me. We always compare the weight of True skates with other brands' retail skates. Do NHL players' custom CCM and Bauer skates weigh the same as the retail versions or are they built up for extra stiffness and/or durability and are thus heavier? True only have one spec which is custom pro spec, so are we comparing apples to oranges when we compare their weight to other brands' retail skates?

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

Something just occurred to me. We always compare the weight of True skates with other brands' retail skates. Do NHL players' custom CCM and Bauer skates weigh the same as the retail versions or are they built up for extra stiffness and/or durability and are thus heavier? True only have one spec which is custom pro spec, so are we comparing apples to oranges when we compare their weight to other brands' retail skates?

CCM and Bauer pro spec skates are usually heavier. From the ones I have owned I would say about 35+ grams per skate. I had a pair of FT1 recently with integrated shot blockers and some other additions and they weigh about 120 grams per skate over retail. Very close to True. 

• Like 4

On 11/5/2018 at 8:55 PM, jared9356 said:

Ordered mine today after stalking these forums for the last few years. I’ll be sure to post pics and a thorough review once they get here.

And if I don’t like them, I will be forced to hold all of you personally accountable.

I would make sure that your holders are on straight looking at your rivets to see if hey are parallel as well make sure the heel is not too large and they too long. Check inside the toe to see id there has been any extra material to make them feel as if they fit better making you toes seem to touch near the end of the toe box. If you have these inserts it makes you boots longer and you have to overcome that extra length that you don't want to have just for normal crossovers. This extra length should not be there for you own sake. The skate should be made to fit without and extra long toe!

Look them over carefully, please, it might surprise you. You want what you pay for, not just a easy way out for True to hide their mistakes.