Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Just now, Giltis said:

I hope it's ok to talk about the skate holders that ships with the True Skates. 

I'm getting a squeaking noise when I load up on one side (left more than the right).

I've checked the tightness of the nut, and I've tried tighter, and looser, but nothing seems to get rid of the sound and the feeling. Using my palm, I can push near the front of the blade and see that the noise is coming from moving in and out about 1 mm. Is this something that can be fixed? Or would I be looking at new holders? Otherwise the skates are fantastic, my sharpener worked his magic and everything feels great (he did recommend that before he profiled them to have the holders swapped out to Tuuks).

The only issues I have ever seen with that holder is people overtighten the nut which pulls the front "tooth" out of the socket it fits into. 

2 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

The only issues I have ever seen with that holder is people overtighten the nut which pulls the front "tooth" out of the socket it fits into. 

Yeah that's why I tried loosening it a bit, but maybe I should take the blade out completely first.

Is there a trick as to getting the blade out without cutting myself? Seems like it's in there good, I do see a little channel near the back of the blade, but I'm guessing that's to clear the screw assembly that holds it all together.

Edited by Giltis

1 hour ago, Giltis said:

I hope it's ok to talk about the skate holders that ships with the True Skates. 

I'm getting a squeaking noise when I load up on one side (left more than the right).

I've checked the tightness of the nut, and I've tried tighter, and looser, but nothing seems to get rid of the sound and the feeling. Using my palm, I can push near the front of the blade and see that the noise is coming from the blade moving in and out about 1 mm. Is this something that can be fixed? Or would I be looking at new holders? Otherwise the skates are fantastic, my sharpener worked his magic and everything feels great (he did recommend that before he profiled them to have the holders swapped out to Tuuks).

I think bc of how long the skates are in the oven it obviously has some affect on the holders especially if you're not careful and put more weight on it than u should during the heat moulding process. Try a very thin piece of Teflon or scotch tape. As thin as u can go to eliminate the noise. If it weren't for the noise would you notice the movement while skating? If not, then it's likely not causing any issues anyway. 

Are both holders like this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giltis said:

Yeah that's why I tried loosening it a bit, but maybe I should take the blade out completely first.

Is there a trick as to getting the blade out without cutting myself? Seems like it's in there good, I do see a little channel near the back of the blade, but I'm guessing that's to clear the screw assembly that holds it all together.

I too had the sound in one skate.  It sounded like plastic rubbing, but I didn’t notice it very much on ice.  I attributed it to being new holders settling in, as the noise gradually lessened.  Try removing the blade completely and reseating it.  I know when I changed to Blacksteel from regular Step the noise went away completely.

Here’s the vid:

Edited by shoot_the_goalie
  • Thanks 1

So my buddy just got his trues in. About two weeks from the date he was scanned. He got his scanning done at an lhs that had done scans since the vh days and they have outfitted the most true/vh in any shop in BC. 

Anyways. I was there when he got scanned and they used a brannock and everything. 

He tries his skates on and the volume is way off which was his initial issue he mentioned when he got scanned. The right skate is also way too short and even with the foam removed from that area his toes were crammed in there. So needless to say they need to be remade to accommodate the length of the right skate and the volume of both. The shop has requested additional 1/4" in the facing of eyelets 3-6. 

This result has pretty much put me off to getting trues in the future, unfortunately. Even if they are willing to remake the skates until it's perfect, it's a lot of time and energy and waiting around. For me I can fit into retail skates without too much issue other than the dreaded break in period, but for my buddy, the reason he went to true was because he literally tried on every make and model with no avail. 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

So my buddy just got his trues in. About two weeks from the date he was scanned. He got his scanning done at an lhs that had done scans since the vh days and they have outfitted the most true/vh in any shop in BC. 

Anyways. I was there when he got scanned and they used a brannock and everything. 

He tries his skates on and the volume is way off which was his initial issue he mentioned when he got scanned. The right skate is also way too short and even with the foam removed from that area his toes were crammed in there. So needless to say they need to be remade to accommodate the length of the right skate and the volume of both. The shop has requested additional 1/4" in the facing of eyelets 3-6. 

This result has pretty much put me off to getting trues in the future, unfortunately. Even if they are willing to remake the skates until it's perfect, it's a lot of time and energy and waiting around. For me I can fit into retail skates without too much issue other than the dreaded break in period, but for my buddy, the reason he went to true was because he literally tried on every make and model with no avail. 

I could argue that I have seen issues with Bauer and CCM custom skates as well. Some of these issues are due to the shop or scanning process while others might be specific to the individual such as a sensitive area or personal preference. We recently had skates built for a player who HATES his toes being close to the toe cap and likes there to be enough wiggle room for him to move his toes. Obviously, this is uncommon so I had to make sure that even after the scan was submitted I followed up with TRUE multiple times to make sure they built the skates to his liking. We got them in and he loved them. So I guess experienced will vary, like anything in life. 

To put this in perspective, even cars, which are made in a very automated and controlled environment have a 1% "lemon" rate. 

10 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I could argue that I have seen issues with Bauer and CCM custom skates as well. Some of these issues are due to the shop or scanning process while others might be specific to the individual such as a sensitive area or personal preference. We recently had skates built for a player who HATES his toes being close to the toe cap and likes there to be enough wiggle room for him to move his toes. Obviously, this is uncommon so I had to make sure that even after the scan was submitted I followed up with TRUE multiple times to make sure they built the skates to his liking. We got them in and he loved them. So I guess experienced will vary, like anything in life. 

To put this in perspective, even cars, which are made in a very automated and controlled environment have a 1% "lemon" rate. 

I get that errors happen. But reading the ones on here and then experiencing it more or less first hand is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I have trues when they first partnered with vh. Mine turned out good. But my confidence in the company is lessening more and more. 

His toe issue was to the point where he couldn't get his toes to sit flat bc it was crammed. So the fact that all the foam in the toebox was removed to try to create more space and it still caused issues shows how off it was. He has an extremely high instep and wide feet vs length. He's a 6.5 and doesn't even fit in ee skates in any model.  

Those issues were clearly stated to the scanner when he was scanned because I was there.  I'm not blaming one particular party per se as it could be the scanner too but the fact that there seems to be errors like these happening more than it really should (Imo) means true needs to do something about it. Whether it's training the scanners better, develop a better program, and/or better oversight in QC at the factory, and even more variables to ask about on the order form. 

Just my two cents. 

15 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I think bc of how long the skates are in the oven it obviously has some affect on the holders especially if you're not careful and put more weight on it than u should during the heat moulding process. Try a very thin piece of Teflon or scotch tape. As thin as u can go to eliminate the noise. If it weren't for the noise would you notice the movement while skating? If not, then it's likely not causing any issues anyway. 

Are both holders like this?

Left more than the right. The left one I can make the noise happen with my hand, the right one is very slight and I have to stand on it.

I will try reseating the blade, and if that doesn't work, I'll add some material and see . It's so slight and doesn't affect my skating at all, but boy is it ever annoying. It makes me "aware" about my skating, like suddenly being aware of your breathing, your saliva, and blinking.

14 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I too had the sound in one skate.  It sounded like plastic rubbing, but I didn’t notice it very much on ice.  I attributed it to being new holders settling in, as the noise gradually lessened.  Try removing the blade completely and reseating it.  I know when I changed to Blacksteel from regular Step the noise went away completely.

Thanks for the vid! I'll def try this.

I emailed True just so the issue is recorded and timestamped, they wanted to send me a new holder anyway, but I told them I'd try to fix it first.

Hey, new to the forum here and as commented by sniper9 I’m the one with the recently ordered skates that do not fit length little alone did the instep issue get addresssed.  

I know now I should have taken pictures to show but I knew as soon as I stuck my foot inside I was in trouble because my instep was at least a full 1cm protruding out of the top of the skate and that was before putting the tongue over.  This has been a problem with all my other skates and was the major reason for going the custom route.

To be honest the width was spot on and I am a ‘g’ width, and the heel lock was awesome.  But for some reason the right skate was like trying to put on a skate that was a full size too small and my big toe went numb after 1 minute of wearing.

After trying on all the skates I’ve tried on I literally felt as if I was issued a “standard” boot from true that had enough width and not a real custom moulded skate to the 3D scanned render of my foot.

I am not here to say true is a shitty company, and I’m rather optimistic about it all hoping that they will make it right for me.  I am here to share my experience in the matter as I have always had difficult time with footwear little alone sports equipment for my feet.  Do I wish I went with CCM or Bauer custom? I actually can’t say that because anyone can make this mistake.  It’s how I’m going to be treated in the end is what’s going to make the difference here.

I will say I got convinced that these skates were going to be a one shot deal and fit perfect to my feet because they were truly a custom skate but at this point and time I do not believe that is the case.

Stay tuned for my saga, I will share what I can, and sorry for the longest post ever!!!

7 hours ago, Giltis said:

Left more than the right. The left one I can make the noise happen with my hand, the right one is very slight and I have to stand on it.

I will try reseating the blade, and if that doesn't work, I'll add some material and see . It's so slight and doesn't affect my skating at all, but boy is it ever annoying. It makes me "aware" about my skating, like suddenly being aware of your breathing, your saliva, and blinking.

Thanks for the vid! I'll def try this.

I emailed True just so the issue is recorded and timestamped, they wanted to send me a new holder anyway, but I told them I'd try to fix it first.

Have to say that's pretty good of them to just send it no questions asked really. Just take it as a backup regardless 😉

I tried reseating the blade, but the noise was still there. I added a small piece of resilient plastic tape at the top of the blade, and all of the creaking is gone (after lacing it up on dry land). I'll actually skate on it tonight and see how it goes, but it's good to know that the sound and the feeling was coming from the holder and the blade, and not from the rivets or the skate itself. Crazy how that tiny little bit of space can make the whole boot feel off.

https://imgur.com/a/NPNZVwr

That black line mark shows much it moved in and out.

Edited by Giltis

4 hours ago, Giltis said:

I tried reseating the blade, but the noise was still there. I added a small piece of resilient plastic tape at the top of the blade, and all of the creaking is gone (after lacing it up on dry land). I'll actually skate on it tonight and see how it goes, but it's good to know that the sound and the feeling was coming from the holder and the blade, and not from the rivets or the skate itself. Crazy how that tiny little bit of space can make the whole boot feel off.

https://imgur.com/a/NPNZVwr

That black line mark shows much it moved in and out.

Maybe TRUE was trying to make your specific steel/holder be like BladeTech.... 

https://www.bladetechhockey.ca/

More interesting is they offer steel for the TRUE/VH holder now too. 

Edited by Nicholas G

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

Maybe TRUE was trying to make your specific steel/holder be like BladeTech.... 

https://www.bladetechhockey.ca/

More interesting is they offer steel for the TRUE/VH holder now too. 

lol, I've asked for the new holders, as my fix is only temporary.

I've actually been looking at the Bladetech, it seems pretty popular here.

Get True to send you the new holders.  If reseating didn't work, but the tape did, it's either a tolerance issue with the holder or the steel.  You'll figure out which, once you get new holders.  Regardless, True should replace whichever is causing the problem.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 3:21 PM, stick9 said:

@smu don't sweat it. A couple of things might help.

1) if you you want to connect with a member directly, use the private message function.

2) posts on forums are best when they are direct and to the point. Skip the story, just give us the details.

3) if you need to reference your initial post, don't type it out again, just link it. Again, direct and to the point.

Very much appreciated! Thanks

On 2/5/2019 at 2:05 AM, Sniper9 said:

I get that errors happen. But reading the ones on here and then experiencing it more or less first hand is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I have trues when they first partnered with vh. Mine turned out good. But my confidence in the company is lessening more and more. 

His toe issue was to the point where he couldn't get his toes to sit flat bc it was crammed. So the fact that all the foam in the toebox was removed to try to create more space and it still caused issues shows how off it was. He has an extremely high instep and wide feet vs length. He's a 6.5 and doesn't even fit in ee skates in any model.  

Those issues were clearly stated to the scanner when he was scanned because I was there.  I'm not blaming one particular party per se as it could be the scanner too but the fact that there seems to be errors like these happening more than it really should (Imo) means true needs to do something about it. Whether it's training the scanners better, develop a better program, and/or better oversight in QC at the factory, and even more variables to ask about on the order form. 

Just my two cents. 

I have emailed Rob as I mentioned before, hold you r rocks, but I did it for us. I said to him that True is creating a problem with the QC of mine now others as well they do not communicate well to the LHS when skates are sent back for "issues" they come back with little info of what they have done. That was about a month ago now and I am still seeing QC problems form not just some inexperienced worker, but management as well!

On 2/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, Leif said:

It just occurred to me that a better option is for smu to start a new thread, using his second from last post, and people can comment if they wish, rather than use this thread for one issue. That way everyone is happy. Just a suggestion folks.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will just say much less except perhaps a very short update on True. BTW my feet just are a C at the heel, when True has given me a D-E. I put on and took off my skates with every lace in an eyelet.

I need the best custom Bauer or CCM - 5c and I believe CCM has the only one, unless I missed it. Also, I don't see I see anything for helping pronation, anybody else see differently? Thanks

Edited by smu
spelling

On 2/4/2019 at 1:51 PM, Leif said:

I know smu has been annoying in the past by repeating himself in numerous long winded posts, but this time I think he has given a very succinct summary of his issues, with an update on the third pair - 😲 - , and the fact that he still does not have a skate that fits - the heel is far too wide - is shocking. Perhaps people here who fit skates can comment. In his position I would be looking for a full refund and moving to a custom skate from Bauer or CCM. Assuming they can fit skates to his feet. I suppose it is possible that he had such strange feet that they are unfittable. Or perhaps only True can not accommodate him.

No issues with feet, unable to reduce huge heel area. Somebody is having a difficult time giving me a Custom Junior Skate that I have paid for and by accepting my money a contract has been entered into and I don't believe they can deliver. If I was someone is buying a custom junior skate, you better make it very clear and be on their back with all other measurements by hand as well as the scanner. I let another LHS in on my story today and he was shocked at what he heard. He even apoligized!! That's all I need to say. Cheers 🙂

On 2/4/2019 at 12:01 PM, IPv6Freely said:

We've already read about the story about 10 times now. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XZZZZZZZZZZZZ

???????????????

On 2/6/2019 at 11:50 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Could you stop already? Jesus Christ.

God, Ham, Cheese and Rice!

Guilty as charged, but I will pull up my socks and not repeat as much. 🙂

Hi all, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here for what its worth.

2 week turn around time from date of scan to skates in hand.  Fitter at my local shop was quite thorough and asked a ton a questions before during and after along with the scan and pics of my feet that were submitted. I actually remember him pointing out that he wanted to re-calibrate the camera/app as when he first tried he wasnt quite happy with the results. When i got the skates I had them profiled and baked.  During the bake, the skates felt great and didn't notice any hotspots, but the thought of the skates being too short did cross my mind as it felt like my toes were pressed against the end (not crammed in but also not the feather graze that Im a little more used to)

First skate with them was a bit of an adventure.  Mainly though because i was trying out a different profile that was more aggressive than previous.  Boot itself was just ok, but certainly not the sneaker like feel that you hear about. I probably also tied them a little looser that more normal tension, just because the wrap of the boot is quite good, resulting in some very minor slip within the boot.  After this i went back to talk to my fitter at the shop who had some suggestions around tweaks that could be made, but as i was supposed to be on the ice the following day suggested i first try them out again to get a better idea for where the issues were in terms of profile vs boot fit.

Second skate was in improvement from the first as i tied a little tighter so there was no slip and i became more comfortable with the profile.  However i noticed i was getting arch pain in one foot.  Overall still wasnt thrilled with them at this point.  Went back to the local shop where i rebaked and also had the profile adjusted.  Following night skated again and can now start to say that Im starting to see the appeal for these skates. Fit feels far more dialed in, no arch pain and Im a lot more comfortable as well as noticing the improved edge control.

Overall I would give them an 8/10 at this point and Im only 3 skates in so for (can't really hold the profile issues against the skate as it was something i wanted to try).  Ive found that the second bake has done a lot more for the fit concerns I initially had and my thoughts around length have largely disappeared as Im assuming Im now starting to sit further into the pocket.  Im going to think that as I continue to wear them they will only get better, but i can already say at this point that they're the most comfortable skates Ive had. (30+ years playing now).

All this to say that while I understand that sometimes things go wrong, things also go right and I guess I was one for the orders that havent experienced the issues mentioned above.

Edited by Thanos
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Thanos said:

Hi all, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here for what its worth.

2 week turn around time from date of scan to skates in hand.  Fitter at my local shop was quite thorough and asked a ton a questions before during and after along with the scan and pics of my feet that were submitted. I actually remember him pointing out that he wanted to re-calibrate the camera/app as when he first tried he wasnt quite happy with the results. When i got the skates I had them profiled and baked.  During the bake, the skates felt great and didn't notice any hotspots, but the thought of the skates being too short did cross my mind as it felt like my toes were pressed against the end (not crammed in but also not the feather graze that Im a little more used to)

First skate with them was a bit of an adventure.  Mainly though because i was trying out a different profile that was more aggressive than previous.  Boot itself was just ok, but certainly not the sneaker like feel that you hear about. I probably also tied them a little looser that more normal tension, just because the wrap of the boot is quite good, resulting in some very minor slip within the boot.  After this i went back to talk to my fitter at the shop who had some suggestions around tweaks that could be made, but as i was supposed to be on the ice the following day suggested i first try them out again to get a better idea for where the issues were in terms of profile vs boot fit.

Second skate was in improvement from the first as i tied a little tighter so there was no slip and i became more comfortable with the profile.  However i noticed i was getting arch pain in one foot.  Overall still wasnt thrilled with them at this point.  Went back to the local shop where i rebaked and also had the profile adjusted.  Following night skated again and can now start to say that Im starting to see the appeal for these skates. Fit feels far more dialed in, no arch pain and Im a lot more comfortable as well as noticing the improved edge control.

Overall I would give them an 8/10 at this point and Im only 3 skates in so for (can't really hold the profile issues against the skate as it was something i wanted to try).  Ive found that the second bake has done a lot more for the fit concerns I initially had and my thoughts around length have largely disappeared as Im assuming Im now starting to sit further into the pocket.  Im going to think that as I continue to wear them they will only get better, but i can already say at this point that they're the most comfortable skates Ive had. (30+ years playing now).

All this to say that while I understand that sometimes things go wrong, things also go right and I guess I was one for the orders that havent experienced the issues mentioned above.

It took me a few months to get used to the feel of them. Super comfy but it was definitely an adjustment period getting used to a new boot, let alone a boot that is no where near the same as CCM or Bauer. If you're trying on new skates or even a new company, you should always use the same profile as before so you can judge the new skates with the least possible variables. 

Invest in a heat gun as these skates respond extremely well with spot moulding. 

• Like 1

Hey for those that had a remake of their skate for whatever the reason, were you issued another order number or anything to monitor progress?  I have tried using the first one I was issued but nothing new on it.  Was just curious because I haven't heard anything from anyone and have been the one hounding with phone calls and emails and have only been told "we are remaking the skate".