Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

3 hours ago, Caldinda said:

With that answer, how would one go about figuring out if maybe the scan was bad?

Probably won't know unless you re did the scan and it comes back fine. 

6 mths is a long time to tinker around. Since the warranty period has passed, I question whether they will even honour the remake.... There's only so much you can tinker with the heel itself since it's pretty solid. You can adjust the width of the heel but not the height so if that's part of the issue you may be out of luck. 

Also, how is the arch? My right skate wasn't as dialed in as the left and the one thing that worked really well in locking in the heel and improving overall slippage inside the boot was altering the arch that was initially too flat.  Once I increased the arch to suit my feet it felt much better. 

I also used a heat gun around the ankle area and just below where it's carbon fiber and squeezed the boot with my hands to make it more narrow. Once it cooled I put it on and it felt too narrow but id then heat gun the area again just enough so that the area softened just enough to relieve the tightness and that ended up making the right skate locked in. 

Should you have to do this for a custom slate? No. But I'm just giving you some ideas and showing you how customizable the skates are. Areas like the arch and below the ankle require more heating and patience as it's really hard carbon fiber. 

8 hours ago, Caldinda said:

Just curious thou, what are the odds that a wrong skate is sent to a person? Either the wrong physical skate or a wrong scan to start with? The skate never felt anything close to my foot, so just curious.

There are a lot of examples where the skate has been made wrong because the scan data was either wrong or interpreted incorrectly (a lot of this does depend on the skill of the fitter, the better they are the better the chance of True getting it right). In all of the cases that I know of True have remade the skate using feedback from what is wrong with the current one to ensure the remake is correct. On the odd occasion this hasn't worked but generally the 2nd time around they get it right.

Edited by Vet88
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, Caldinda said:

With that answer, how would one go about figuring out if maybe the scan was bad?

You need to talk to the LHS and work with them. Take physical measurements of your foot then compare this to the scan data AND the additional comments / info the LHS sent to True. If this all correlates then the LHS need to ask True why the boot differs from the info supplied. Work out how much longer / shorter the boot should be, where it needs to be narrower / deeper, cut differently etc etc. I have seen cases where True have misinterpreted the LHS supplied data and made the boot wrong. Mistakes happen, it's a fact of life.

And I'll say it again - Both at the scan / measuring stage and at the boot fitting stage, it's really important to have a fitter who knows his stuff. This will reduce the chance of errors when they are made and to recognise that the boot isn't right at fitting time and to provide the assistance you need to get it fixed. 6 months down the track and they are still tinkering with the boot to try and get it to work, that isn't a good recommendation of the LHS imho.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

You need to talk to the LHS and work with them. Take physical measurements of your foot then compare this to the scan data AND the additional comments / info the LHS sent to True. If this all correlates then the LHS need to ask True why the boot differs from the info supplied. Work out how much longer / shorter the boot should be, where it needs to be narrower / deeper, cut differently etc etc. I have seen cases where True have misinterpreted the LHS supplied data and made the boot wrong. Mistakes happen, it's a fact of life.

And I'll say it again - Both at the scan / measuring stage and at the boot fitting stage, it's really important to have a fitter who knows his stuff. This will reduce the chance of errors when they are made and to recognise that the boot isn't right at fitting time and to provide the assistance you need to get it fixed. 6 months down the track and they are still tinkering with the boot to try and get it to work, that isn't a good recommendation of the LHS imho.

Pure Hockey is all we got in the area, we used to have a Hockey Giant that did great work for everything, but with Pure buying them, that location went to shit. I would probably have to drive 2-3 hours to find another store and even then I wouldn't know if they were good or not either.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:50 PM, Caldinda said:

Pure Hockey is all we got in the area, we used to have a Hockey Giant that did great work for everything, but with Pure buying them, that location went to shit. I would probably have to drive 2-3 hours to find another store and even then I wouldn't know if they were good or not either.

My guy at Pure Hockey was a great fitter and knew his stuff.  So, it's really about the fitter...not the store.

Order has been shipped to my lhs.  

Have a decision to make about which holders I want since the SB 4.0 aren't in stock and are on back order for them until July. 

1) find it elsewhere and they will mount for free.  This would mean possibly getting online and waiting for shipping but would save me money as I can re use my blacksteel. 

2) get the xs holder. Means more money spent on steel and my blacksteel would be collecting dust if I can't sell. 

3) mount my ls2 holders I have that are brand new.  Same as 2) but also the thought of drilling access bolts on a brand new boot makes me cringe. 

4) keep the true holder. Would have to wait 2-3 mths for blacksteel for this holder/ if anything happened to this holder it wouldn't be a quick turnaround to replace since it's not carried in stock by many shops locally. I should double check to see my fitter does have it though. 

11 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

1) find it elsewhere and they will mount for free.  This would mean possibly getting online and waiting for shipping but would save me money as I can re use my blacksteel. 

Long shot, but what size are you?

You're in an extremely similar situation as I am/was. I would go SB4.0 (which is what I will end up doing because I have Blacksteel for it already), because I realized that in all my years of playing, the quick change ability would have only saved me a handful of times, if that. 

8 hours ago, Giltis said:

Long shot, but what size are you?

You're in an extremely similar situation as I am/was. I would go SB4.0 (which is what I will end up doing because I have Blacksteel for it already), because I realized that in all my years of playing, the quick change ability would have only saved me a handful of times, if that. 

The quick change isn't even a deciding factor for me since my all time favourite holder is the tuuk ls2. I ended up sourcing SB 4.0s as I like bolt systems best for holders. I haven't had issues with the sb 4.0s on my as1 yet. I make sure I check that they are tight every few skates. 

I'm a 263. 

I could've gotten them for quite a bit cheaper on sideline but I would have had to wait at least a week for them to get here and my skates have already arrived at my fitter. Need to drop the holders off tomorrow. 

33 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Saw Matias Ekholm playing in world hockey championship. Noticed he had something on the top eyelets of his skates. Does anyone know what it is?

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/mattias-ekholm-of-the-nashville-predators-skates-against-the-wild-picture-id1056331366?s=2048x2048 

Lace extender for lace bite

2 hours ago, dantheman said:

Saw Matias Ekholm playing in world hockey championship. Noticed he had something on the top eyelets of his skates. Does anyone know what it is?

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/mattias-ekholm-of-the-nashville-predators-skates-against-the-wild-picture-id1056331366?s=2048x2048 

1 hour ago, Bizz22 said:

Lace extender for lace bite

Also / or better range of motion. He's been wearing them pretty much constantly since mid-March 2016 what I saw in a quick GettyImages search. 55 Flex introduced this as a product, but the company didn't last long. If you search you'll find a few topics on 55 Flex and how to make your own. There's a company or two always selling their version on eBay.

mattias-ekholm-of-the-nashville-predator

That's the first image of him with them in, from March 14, 2016.

PS... this segment should probably be moved to the Gear Sightings thread, as it has nothing to do with VH/True.

13 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Unless you have volume issues and or lace bite. Then, outside of customs, it's one of the few things that will keep you in your skates. http://greatsaves.org/skate_lace_extenders.html

Sure..  but that has nothing to do with the intended use at all. Its pretty funny that shop just completely ripped of Troy and made up the whole lace bite blurb. It maybe a side benefit but far from the scientific purpose it was invented for. 

😊

Picked up my skates. The good and the REALLY BAD. 

Overall skates looked good. And fit good. Length was perfect. No issues with fit or cosmetic stuff off the bat. 

N5FP9m8.jpg

I get home adust the tongues and THIS....

u0YqGoH.jpg

jXVrsQ8.jpg

I think I'm going to cry 😭. I hope they can just swap the toe cap and not have to remake the whole skate...

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Overall skates looked good. And fit good. Length was perfect. No issues with fit or cosmetic stuff off the bat. 

N5FP9m8.jpg

u0YqGoH.jpg

jXVrsQ8.jpg

I think I'm going to cry 😭. I hope they can just swap the toe cap and not have to remake the whole skate...

The glue from Nash will fix that easy. Had it happen to an older pair. Hasn't come back apart. That will have to be remade if it goes back. 

1 hour ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

The glue from Nash will fix that easy. Had it happen to an older pair. Hasn't come back apart. That will have to be remade if it goes back. 

It's a shame the whole skate has to be remade over something so small... 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

N5FP9m8.jpg

u0YqGoH.jpg

jXVrsQ8.jpg

Take them to a shoe repair place. They can fix that easily. I've had to do it for a pair once before. The shop you got them from or TRUE should hopefully reimburse you. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

Take them to a shoe repair place. They can fix that easily. I've had to do it for a pair once before. The shop you got them from or TRUE should hopefully reimburse you. 

I've emailed both true and will be stopping by the lhs tomorrow. 

Do you by any chance know what the shoe repair place did to fix it? Obviously I rather have it fixed locally or even by me with epoxy or glue than to send it out just to have true do the same ....

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I've emailed both true and will be stopping by the lhs tomorrow. 

Do you by any chance know what the shoe repair place did to fix it? Obviously I rather have it fixed locally or even by me with epoxy or glue than to send it out just to have true do the same ....

In Seattle I went to University Village Shoe Repair. He does a bunch of hockey repairs for the local stores and also for the UW and Totems hockey teams. 

Edited by Nicholas G

Got a reply from true. They said they would be cementing the tab back on and restitching. So I might as well try it myself first and if whatever I try doesn't hold up, I'll send it in within the six mth warranty. ... For now I've put some industrial Velcro on the tab and in the toe box to see if it is sufficient. If not I'll see if my lhs has the Nash hockey repair glue. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I did it myself. Of course all the skates ibhave fixed like that are older than yours. 

Did u just glue the tab that broke off or the tab AND the strip of Velcro on to the under side of the inside of the toe box

For those of us who don’t know the finer workings of True skates, what exactly is wrong? 

Thats where the tongue connects to the skate, right? Did the stitching rip, or is the material physically broken? 

What needs to be cemented and restitched?