Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

9 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Yes, usually players go with a more shallow hollow. I went from 3/4" to 1" 

1/2" -> 5/8", 5/8" -> 3/4" , 3/4" -> 1"

I'll probably start at 5/8'' for now on the stock XS steel but might move to 3/4'' if I end up getting Blacksteel.

6 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Anybody here have to get a less sharp profile after going True's? Was talking to a kid (yet another True lover) and he said he had to go from 5/8 to 1'' after getting the skates because he felt "his energy transfer was so much better". Not a big kid either... I weigh 195lb and use a 1/2 but I tend to like to dig in a little bit more. 

I went from 1/2 to 9/16 but eventually went back to 1/2. It really depends on the ice quality for me but 1/2 seems to be a good hollow for me overall.  I tried 5/8 but bc I'm only 165 lbs i felt like I was slipping all over the place. 

Edited by Sniper9

16 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Anybody here have to get a less sharp profile after going True's? Was talking to a kid (yet another True lover) and he said he had to go from 5/8 to 1'' after getting the skates because he felt "his energy transfer was so much better". Not a big kid either... I weigh 195lb and use a 1/2 but I tend to like to dig in a little bit more. 

I used to skate in a 1/2 before I found out about profiling. Since then, I went with 5/8 then 11/16 on my Grafs. I'm currently using 3/4 on my Trues. I'm considering trying out 13/16 and possibly up to 1" in the near future.

For me, it's hard to say if it's because of the True's or I just progressively have preferred less hollow. One thing I can tell you though is I have a set of regular step steel and one of Black Stepsteel and personally I can't tell the difference performance-wise. I use 3/4 on both. One thing I did notice for sure with the Black Stepsteel is the sharpenings last longer. Also, I love the way it looks.

My weight, ~170.

Edited by Shaine

6 hours ago, Shaine said:

I used to skate in a 1/2 before I found out about profiling. Since then, I went with 5/8 then 11/16 on my Grafs. I'm currently using 3/4 on my Trues. I'm considering trying out 13/16 and possibly up to 1" in the near future.

For me, it's hard to say if it's because of the True's or I just progressively have preferred less hollow. One thing I can tell you though is I have a set of regular step steel and one of Black Stepsteel and personally I can't tell the difference performance-wise. I use 3/4 on both. One thing I did notice for sure with the Black Stepsteel is the sharpenings last longer. Also, I love the way it looks.

My weight, ~170.

I mean, for me the sharpening thing is more about convenience than cost. I usually either send my steel out or I'm forced to drive to a local shop and get it done which in both cases is kind of annoying to me. If I can go many months instead of weeks on a sharpening, I'm all about it. Usually only skating 2x a week.

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

I mean, for me the sharpening thing is more about convenience than cost. I usually either send my steel out or I'm forced to drive to a local shop and get it done which in both cases is kind of annoying to me. If I can go many months instead of weeks on a sharpening, I'm all about it. Usually only skating 2x a week.

Skating 2x a week you should only need to sharpen every 6-8 weeks with STEP, unless you get some serious trauma to the blade, like stepping on concrete. 

On 8/19/2019 at 9:43 AM, z1ggy said:

I know I may be an outlier here, but on previous Bauer steel I would go between 5/8 and 3/4.  Since flipping to the Step steel and True skates Ive jumped all the way to going between 1 3/8 and 1 1/2, and cant even imagine dropping back down.  When i first got the new skates with my usual 5/8 cut it felt like I was skating in sand and simply diving into the ice.  Changed to 1 inch cut where there was some improvement and then jumped again and am happy with the results now and feel on the ice.  Glide to me feels similar to what the old cut and Bauer steel had with all the (and maybe a little more) grip and bite to cut hard whenever I need to with full confidence.  The rest of my profile was maintained while changing skates/steel.

3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Skating 2x a week you should only need to sharpen every 6-8 weeks with STEP, unless you get some serious trauma to the blade, like stepping on concrete. 

I played a full season on a single sharpen with STEP, (roughly 35 games).  Sharpeners must hate me! 😄

7 hours ago, Thanos said:

I know I may be an outlier here, but on previous Bauer steel I would go between 5/8 and 3/4.  Since flipping to the Step steel and True skates Ive jumped all the way to going between 1 3/8 and 1 1/2, and cant even imagine dropping back down.  When i first got the new skates with my usual 5/8 cut it felt like I was skating in sand and simply diving into the ice.  Changed to 1 inch cut where there was some improvement and then jumped again and am happy with the results now and feel on the ice.  Glide to me feels similar to what the old cut and Bauer steel had with all the (and maybe a little more) grip and bite to cut hard whenever I need to with full confidence.  The rest of my profile was maintained while changing skates/steel.

I think this is quite common. What is strange to me is the players who wants 3/8 on their TRUE skates. I don't understand how they can do anything on the ice as I would feel like my feet are in quicksand. 

7 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I do not understand why somebody would do that. 

Oh I fully realize that I'm ridiculous, but on the flip side, I think most people sharpen their skates way too often.

• Like 1

I've been getting 3/4 on my Trues about once every 3 months or 150 games give or take. Only using them to ref so I might not be carving the ice as hard as some players but I'm on the ice the entire game.

16 hours ago, boo10 said:

I played a full season on a single sharpen with STEP, (roughly 35 games).  Sharpeners must hate me! 😄

16 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I do not understand why somebody would do that. 

I personally knew a NHLer who would get his skates sharpened 2x a season.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, boo10 said:

Oh I fully realize that I'm ridiculous, but on the flip side, I think most people sharpen their skates way too often.

1-2 passes before every skate. Consistency is more important than anything. I want them to feel exactly the same every time. 

• Like 1

I had a chance to try my new TRUE skates with the updated SHIFT holder in multiple games and a few drop-in sessions. I can say there is a dramatic difference between the newest generation and the previous generation in terms of weight reduction, not just from the new holder and steel, but overall. I think the new carbon layering process has also made the overall fit and finish better as well.

One thing I noticed immediately was the new STEP steel for the SHIFT holder does not feel anything like the previous VH/TRUE holder and STEP combo. In fact, it almost feels like the steel has a dual radius profile, maybe a 9.5/10.5 profile or similar. It's the first time I have been able to just take the skates out of the box, bake them, sharpen them, and play a game with them without feeling like I was wildly out of control. I am honestly not even sure a profile is needed with the newer steel where I felt the older VH/TRUE holder and STEP combo a profile was absolutely required. 

Overall I am very impressed with the updated skates.

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 1

I will be picking mine up today or Tuesday. Unfortunately, Shift wasnt available under 254 mm so I picked up some XS holders and Step Blacksteel. Assuming the skates fit correctly I'll let you guys know my thoughts soon.

Edited by Shaine
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Shaine said:

I will be picking mine up today or Tuesday. Unfortunately, Shift wasnt available under 254 mm so I picked up some XS holders and Step Blacksteel. Assuming the skates fit correctly I'll let you guys know my thoughts soon.

You are a 254 or smaller? 

Here's some more photos of my issues. 

IMG_0823.thumb.JPG.9723b4ec88433461ef1a1106f4c2c6b7.JPG

IMG_0826.thumb.JPG.4d8058ceb5d2e24abd2c90a00ca70432.JPG

I think I'm going to reach out to them. Do you guys know if you can still email Rob directly? It's obviously been a while. At this point if I just keep doing what I've been doing for 4+ years (using a shoe horn) I'm not super worried about it. I'm due for a new pair of skates in the next year or so anyway. But still worth talking to them.

On another note, it's funny that the white accent glue is failing. They look like they're stitched on but clearly not.

IMG_0824.thumb.JPG.66e1ec793d41527433b2533dbf6990c6.JPG

And one more thing... anyone know what this copper colored stuff is that is exposed when the "leather" is worn away?

IMG_0825.thumb.JPG.ae44d9b3ab4c9805eb4f1f8db81d2b49.JPG

1 hour ago, BureKovy said:

Is this moldable?  It looks like the one I had on my MLX, very flexible.

Yes. Very moldable and flexible. I actually like it way more than the standard felt 

5 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

You are a 254 or smaller? 

247 CCM.

I was not able to pick them up today but I should have them in hand Tuesday. Not sure if I'll get a chance to skate in them before the following Sunday though.

10 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Here's some more photos of my issues. 

IMG_0823.thumb.JPG.9723b4ec88433461ef1a1106f4c2c6b7.JPG

IMG_0826.thumb.JPG.4d8058ceb5d2e24abd2c90a00ca70432.JPG

I think I'm going to reach out to them. Do you guys know if you can still email Rob directly? It's obviously been a while. At this point if I just keep doing what I've been doing for 4+ years (using a shoe horn) I'm not super worried about it. I'm due for a new pair of skates in the next year or so anyway. But still worth talking to them.

On another note, it's funny that the white accent glue is failing. They look like they're stitched on but clearly not.

IMG_0824.thumb.JPG.66e1ec793d41527433b2533dbf6990c6.JPG

And one more thing... anyone know what this copper colored stuff is that is exposed when the "leather" is worn away?

IMG_0825.thumb.JPG.ae44d9b3ab4c9805eb4f1f8db81d2b49.JPG

You can reglue that using Barge brand adhesive. It's used in shoe manufacturing. Apply to both sides, wait about 20 min, than clamp together for a few minutes.  Will work on the whit trim piece as well.

Edited by Monty22

39 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

You can reglue that using Barge brand adhesive. It's used in shoe manufacturing. Apply to both sides, wait about 20 min, than clamp together for a few minutes.  Will work on the whit trim piece as well.

Was gonna say the same. Stuff seems to work really well