Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

5 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Overall, how have peoples' skates held up? I only ask because of the picture below. Happened during my shinny skate this morning. I got hit with a shot that I was trying to avoid but didn't notice it till I was taking my skates off in the locker room. I knew that one day that I'd want a pair of Trues. I'm now looking at the reality of getting new skates after 3-4 years (much sooner than I thought I would be). The good thing is that I have a pair of Bauer Nexus skates that I use for officiating that I could tolerate when playing/coaching. 

IMG_2863.JPG

Ive seen repairs for that but you have to find a reputable shop to do it. That seems to happen somewhat frequently, at least from the hockey shops I follow on IG. This would never happen. With the true toe caps because of how they're designed. The plus side of the bulky looking true toe cap. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Ive seen repairs for that but you have to find a reputable shop to do it. That seems to happen somewhat frequently, at least from the hockey shops I follow on IG. This would never happen. With the true toe caps because of how they're designed. The plus side of the bulky looking true toe cap. 

That's good to know about their skates. I think I'll have to find a shop that can handle this in the meantime. Maybe spring for a pair of True skates in 2020? We'll see. Thanks.

• Like 1

My boots are in but somehow the CCM holder and step steel didn't come in according to the shop (not sure how holders and runners would take 4+ weeks to ship). Hopefully will be picking them up next weekend. I will provided detailed thoughts and pictures since I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers who read this thread and use it as a guide on whether or not to buy. At least... I know I did. 

Well after trying pretty much every skate on the market without success, I finally broke down and got scanned for Trues today.  If these don't work then I'm taking it as a sign that I need to retire!

Edited by boo10
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, z1ggy said:

My boots are in but somehow the CCM holder and step steel didn't come in according to the shop (not sure how holders and runners would take 4+ weeks to ship). Hopefully will be picking them up next weekend. I will provided detailed thoughts and pictures since I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers who read this thread and use it as a guide on whether or not to buy. At least... I know I did. 

Thats ridiculous. It never takes us longer than 10 days to get anything from CCM. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Long-time lurker. Thanks to all the knowledgeable people on this forum who have taken the time to help the community.

I'm an adult beginner who has been skating for a little over three years.   I have a narrow, short foot, normal arch, but a freakishly high instep.  I've always had trouble in regular shoes too. 

My LHS sized me into a 6.5 D Supremes the first time, and it was brutal. The length was right, the heel was right, but literally half my foot was sticking up above the eyelets.  I crammed my feet into them and skating was excruciating . 

Finally I admitted to myself this wasn't normal new-skater foot pain, and tried again.  I went with a Nexus in 6.5 D.  Even that was a little shallow (still failing the pencil test pretty easily) for me but I could make it work with loose, bar lacing.  It was too wide and I had almost no heel lock, though. Unhappy with my progress learning to skate, I started working with a skating coach recently and they strongly recommend I get new skates, said these aren't responding to my foot movements properly because of the extra space.

I read a ton of the archives here, some of which I'd read the first time I was struggling with skate sizing.  I got the impression that my specific foot type would be very hard to fit in retail.  I went in to my LHS ready to give retail one more try but going into customs if I didn't find anything.  As usual, half my foot sticks out of the medium-depth lines and my feet were swimming in the high-depth ones.  So I got my foot scanned, ordered from True and am really hopeful this can help.  Not expecting miracles overnight, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to feel a difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, no21kyle said:

Long-time lurker. Thanks to all the knowledgeable people on this forum who have taken the time to help the community.

I'm an adult beginner who has been skating for a little over three years.   I have a narrow, short foot, normal arch, but a freakishly high instep.  I've always had trouble in regular shoes too. 

My LHS sized me into a 6.5 D Supremes the first time, and it was brutal. The length was right, the heel was right, but literally half my foot was sticking up above the eyelets.  I crammed my feet into them and skating was excruciating . 

Finally I admitted to myself this wasn't normal new-skater foot pain, and tried again.  I went with a Nexus in 6.5 D.  Even that was a little shallow (still failing the pencil test pretty easily) for me but I could make it work with loose, bar lacing.  It was too wide and I had almost no heel lock, though. Unhappy with my progress learning to skate, I started working with a skating coach recently and they strongly recommend I get new skates, said these aren't responding to my foot movements properly because of the extra space.

I read a ton of the archives here, some of which I'd read the first time I was struggling with skate sizing.  I got the impression that my specific foot type would be very hard to fit in retail.  I went in to my LHS ready to give retail one more try but going into customs if I didn't find anything.  As usual, half my foot sticks out of the medium-depth lines and my feet were swimming in the high-depth ones.  So I got my foot scanned, ordered from True and am really hopeful this can help.  Not expecting miracles overnight, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to feel a difference.

nice thing about the Trues...you can adjust volume depending on where you connect the tongue, as well as using different types of tongues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, no21kyle said:

but literally half my foot was sticking up above the eyelets. 

Eyelet extenders, these are the fix for volume issues if everything else about the boot is ok. It's not hard to make your own especially if you want single or 2 hole extenders. Otherwise there are 3 hole ones you can buy.

• Like 1

I completely sympathize because I know how frustrating it can be trying multiple brands and models to just continue to skate in pain. Eventually you just say to hell with it and get traced/scanned.

Ill never forget, when I was about 3 years into my adult hockey “career” I had my teammates ask if I had taken skating lessons. I told them nope, I just got skates that didn’t hurt. But apparently the difference was noticeable!

One piece of advice for you and everyone else buying Trues: you don’t need to tie them anywhere near as tight as you may be used to. When you have that much wrap you dont need to crank the laces to pull the skate around the top of your foot like you would with other skates. 

• Like 2

Question:. I've seen a few posts from people stating that they were able to track the progress of their order online.  Just wondering where/how this is being done?  I've not been able to locate any sort of webpage that will let me put in an email address, order #, etc. To track an order.

2 hours ago, boo10 said:

Question:. I've seen a few posts from people stating that they were able to track the progress of their order online.  Just wondering where/how this is being done?  I've not been able to locate any sort of webpage that will let me put in an email address, order #, etc. To track an order.

I gave them my e-mail address through the LHS as part of the order form before we did the scan.  As my order was filed in store, I was immediately getting e-mails from True Hockey.  I got one titled "Order confirm" and one called "Request scan" immediately, then 20 minutes later after scanning I got one called "Inform scan status" to let me know they had received the scan.  Each one had a link button inside the body of the e-mail that says "View Your Order."  It takes me to a simple page that lists the order number, price, a couple of small details, and updates like "Sept. 16 - Added to Production Queue"

5 hours ago, no21kyle said:

I gave them my e-mail address through the LHS as part of the order form before we did the scan.  As my order was filed in store, I was immediately getting e-mails from True Hockey.  I got one titled "Order confirm" and one called "Request scan" immediately, then 20 minutes later after scanning I got one called "Inform scan status" to let me know they had received the scan.  Each one had a link button inside the body of the e-mail that says "View Your Order."  It takes me to a simple page that lists the order number, price, a couple of small details, and updates like "Sept. 16 - Added to Production Queue"

Thanks.  I gave them my email address, but I guess they didn't put it in with the order.

I just hit my 60th hour of use on the newly revised TRUE skates and figured I would post pics of how they are holding up. Overall, for the amount of abuse they take they still look nearly new, aside from the nasty gash I took on one skates holder and a gash I got on the other skate. I put some super glue on it temporarily but will clean it up. The cut was more cosmetic than anything but I didn't want that piece of pleather flapping around. 

I skate 5-6 times a week. I play on one team in an elite league and sub for a team in another lower division. I also skate drop-in 2-3 times weekly and coach as well so it's fair to use these skates see a decent amount of abuse. I dont know why, but I seem to be a puck magnet and my feet are always getting hammered by shots.

Some might ask, why are my insoles black on the heel area, I like to put some rubber grip on them, I have done this for longer than I can remember and while the TRUE skates lock your heel in and it's not really needed old habits die hard. 

IASguEr.jpgXhzQdWf.jpgQHXlt32.jpgmnms96r.jpgO5FgCGX.jpgTSjnu5V.jpg

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I just hit my 60th hour of use on the newly revised TRUE skates and figured I would post pics of how they are holding up. Overall, for the amount of abuse they take they still look nearly new, aside from the nasty gash I took on one skates holder and a gash I got on the other skate. I put some super glue on it temporarily but will clean it up. The cut was more cosmetic than anything but I didn't want that piece of pleather flapping around. 

I skate 5-6 times a week. I play on one team in an elite league and sub for a team in another lower division. I also skate drop-in 2-3 times weekly and coach as well so it's fair to use these skates see a decent amount of abuse. I dont know why, but I seem to be a puck magnet and my feet are always getting hammered by shots.

Some might ask, why are my insoles black on the heel area, I like to put some rubber grip on them, I have done this for longer than I can remember and while the TRUE skates lock your heel in and it's not really needed old habits die hard. 

IASguEr.jpgXhzQdWf.jpgQHXlt32.jpgmnms96r.jpgO5FgCGX.jpgTSjnu5V.jpg

Curious.  Why aren't you using Speedplates with this iteration?

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Curious.  Why aren't you using Speedplates with this iteration?

Was just gonna ask that too lol. 

Also, what product are u actually using for the grip on the insoles? I find the stock insoles can get slippery. Wouldn't mind putting it on my speed plates as well as the grip on my speedplates are slowly peeling off

Edited by Sniper9

58 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Was just gonna ask that too lol. 

Also, what product are u actually using for the grip on the insoles? I find the stock insoles can get slippery. Wouldn't mind putting it on my speed plates as well as the grip on my speedplates are slowly peeling off

This stuff is my jam! I use it on so many things at the shop. It also works great on stick butt-ends too. After you tape your stick it just put a light coat on. I haven't tried it on a blade, yet, but I use very little tape on my blade anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-07315001126-LTB-400-Electrical/dp/B000FPAN2K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R1DY4WA08ZC4EWWRQB5G

I have been going back and forth with the speed plates in this iteration of the skates and the factory insoles. I find they both have their positives and negatives. I am still testing to see which I prefer. 

So what are your thoughts on the holder?  I like my sb4.0s on my trues and am debating whether to do the xs next time or the true holder. The one thing that puts me off of the True holder is that the steel is way too short for my liking. 

47 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

So what are your thoughts on the holder?  I like my sb4.0s on my trues and am debating whether to do the xs next time or the true holder. The one thing that puts me off of the True holder is that the steel is way too short for my liking. 

Honestly, you won't even notice the steel because the holder is so much taller. It's dramatically taller than a TUUK or CCM holder and very stiff.

I would rather have the weight reduction than extra steel and a weight penalty.

Also, that is why TRUE provides two pairs of steel with the new skates too which I think is nice. 

Overall, I have been very impressed with it. I have the bad luck of getting shot often at games, no idea why, maybe cause I like to park in front of the net. On our game the other night I got blasted a few times in the feet and holder and I am thankful that I has TRUE skates. If I was wearing my others I may have had a broken foot. Trust me, have someone like Shane Doan taking clap bombs in your direction all game is scary enough to keep you awake all night. 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Honestly, you won't even notice the steel because the holder is so much taller. It's dramatically taller than a TUUK or CCM holder and very stiff.

I would rather have the weight reduction than extra steel and a weight penalty.

Also, that is why TRUE provides two pairs of steel with the new skates too which I think is nice. 

Overall, I have been very impressed with it. I have the bad luck of getting shot often at games, no idea why, maybe cause I like to park in front of the net. On our game the other night I got blasted a few times in the feet and holder and I am thankful that I has TRUE skates. If I was wearing my others I may have had a broken foot. Trust me, have someone like Shane Doan taking clap bombs in your direction all game is scary enough to keep you awake all night. 

I'm just a beer leaguer so the weight reduction isn't a big deal. I didn't even find the original trues "heavy". I was fine with them. Two sets of steel is nice but that means paying to profile two sets instead of one. 

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I'm just a beer leaguer so the weight reduction isn't a big deal. I didn't even find the original trues "heavy". I was fine with them. Two sets of steel is nice but that means paying to profile two sets instead of one. 

I find the weight difference between my two pairs of TRUE skates significant, almost 0.4lbs per skate. 

Mine came in and are now mounted up with blacksteel and XS holders. I am picking up on Saturday... WIll post picks and give thoughts! Will be skating in them Sunday.

• Like 1