Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

2 hours ago, z1ggy said:

https://www.amazon.com/Stretch-Handle-Pallet-Moving-Supplies/dp/B07HNYX5Y9/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=shrink+wrap&qid=1569250283&s=gateway&sr=8-7

$11 with Prime. How's that stuff look? I assume it's mostly all the same?

HF wants to charge me $7 for shipping $8 worth of stuff (and it will probably take a week to get here)

Can't go wrong since it's just plastic wrap 😁. Prob no worse than my dollar store one I got and that worked perfectly fine.

When I got scanned my knees were directly over my toes but not past.... My next pair I might just have it slightly bent just behind the toes and see if that makes a diff... I have a feeling it won't really make a diff since the scan isn't the only thing they build off of. They also look at all the pictures of your feet and your foot on the brannock (mind you this is more for skate length)

So just realized my trues only have 9 eyelets, obviously because they are made to the size of my feet / strategically placed. 

My as1s and previous Bauer's both had 10.  Because I skip an eyelet on the Trues does that equate to almost two eyelets dropped on the as1s, esp because the as1s were even taller than it's predecessor?

I already noticed even tying my trues all the way to the top I had quite a bit more flexion vs the as1s. 

Edited by Sniper9

Man I think my FT2 have 11. Mako had 10.

And not sure why they did not follow the wrap procedure. I'm still up in the air if I want to have the guy do it or just use my own oven at home and attempt to do it myself. Leaning toward just biting the bullet and going over one last time because I assume another person wrapping my foot will get more compression than myself doing it.

47 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

So just realized my trues only have 9 eyelets, obviously because they are made to the size of my feet / strategically placed. 

My as1s and previous Bauer's both had 10.  Because I skip an eyelet on the Trues does that equate to almost two eyelets dropped on the as1s, esp because the as1s were even taller than it's predecessor?

I already noticed even tying my trues all the way to the top I had quite a bit more flexion vs the as1s. 

I think True boot height is more in line with Graf and Mako, so roughly 1 eyelet lower than Bauer and CCM. It won’t be as many eyelets as the taller boots as there simply isn’t space for it.

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

Man I think my FT2 have 11. Mako had 10.

And not sure why they did not follow the wrap procedure. I'm still up in the air if I want to have the guy do it or just use my own oven at home and attempt to do it myself. Leaning toward just biting the bullet and going over one last time because I assume another person wrapping my foot will get more compression than myself doing it.

Why don't u just use their oven but do the wrapping yourself like I suggested earlier. 

3 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Take out a ruler and look...? 1/8'' vs just over 1/2''.

Nobody can really answer for you how you will react to what you feel. I got 1/16'' shims put under my old Mako front towers and it was a very noticeable difference in feel for me at first. I would suspect a 9/16'' shim would feel very, very noticeable. Are you sure they said 9/16''? I'm not a skate builder or shop owner but that seems super thick for a skate shim.

So I followed up with True support on this. Honestly my experience working with them on this issue has been real positive. Hoping the results work out for me. 

They did confirm the 9/16th.  I was told they typically do 1/8 and 9/16th, with the 9/16th for more extreme examples to totally flatten out the skate. The True rep said 1/8 is a good spot to start, and to switch to a higher shim if needed. 

Also super stoked as the store told me 6-8 weeks (!) to get the skates, but I got an email today saying the skates were in production...and I got my fitting yesterday. Turns out I may get the skate under two weeks. Has been a real positive experience thus far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wphillyhockey said:

So I followed up with True support on this. Honestly my experience working with them on this issue has been real positive. Hoping the results work out for me. 

They did confirm the 9/16th.  I was told they typically do 1/8 and 9/16th, with the 9/16th for more extreme examples to totally flatten out the skate. The True rep said 1/8 is a good spot to start, and to switch to a higher shim if needed. 

Also super stoked as the store told me 6-8 weeks (!) to get the skates, but I got an email today saying the skates were in production...and I got my fitting yesterday. Turns out I may get the skate under two weeks. Has been a real positive experience thus far. 

My experience has been no more than 4 weeks. And lately everyone I've spoken to have said 3 weeks. 

3 is very reasonable, as that's about what it took for my boots to get done. Was just a bummer for me that my shop probably slacked and didn't order my holders and steel in a timely manner.

7 hours ago, z1ggy said:

3 is very reasonable, as that's about what it took for my boots to get done. Was just a bummer for me that my shop probably slacked and didn't order my holders and steel in a timely manner.

I can imagine that would be frustrating to have the skates done and you have to wait for that.

I was shocked, I got an email within 24 hours that the skates are in production. I may get mine under two weeks. 

The True rep said the majority of people order the skates to try to get them for the start of the season, and their turn around times are much faster after beginning of September. Maybe a tip for anyone wanting skates next year, wait a little bit past the start of the season and you can get the skates quicker possibly. 

Edited by Wphillyhockey

On 9/18/2019 at 5:12 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

This stuff is my jam! I use it on so many things at the shop. It also works great on stick butt-ends too. After you tape your stick it just put a light coat on. I haven't tried it on a blade, yet, but I use very little tape on my blade anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-07315001126-LTB-400-Electrical/dp/B000FPAN2K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R1DY4WA08ZC4EWWRQB5G

I have been going back and forth with the speed plates in this iteration of the skates and the factory insoles. I find they both have their positives and negatives. I am still testing to see which I prefer. 

I'm trying this tonight, https://imgur.com/a/uztuXtk

2 questions, 1 - did I put on enough?  2 - did you also apply it on the bottom of the soles?

On 9/23/2019 at 4:42 PM, Wphillyhockey said:

9/16?!?

That has to be a mistake.  You don't jump from 1/8" to 4.5/8".  The common sizes as stated are 1/16" (approx 1.5mm) and 1/8" (approx 3mm).  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

9/16?!?

That has to be a mistake.  You don't jump from 1/8" to 4.5/8".  The common sizes as stated are 1/16" (approx 1.5mm) and 1/8" (approx 3mm).  

Thanks for more info. 

I thought so too, but it was stated to me the shims sizes are 1/8" and that 9/16" is what they use for extreme cases to totally level out the skate.

I actually will have a chance to talk to the person who is going to attach the holders to the boot before they finish my skates (neat!) so I will get more information then. 

But, the true rep also did mention including a bunch of different shim sizes with my order to be able to adjust if needed...so maybe you are right. Will see when I get to talk to the skate assembler. 

Edited by Wphillyhockey

On 9/23/2019 at 1:42 PM, Wphillyhockey said:

Fedex marked mine as "out for delivery" to the LHS today, exactly 9 days after I went in to order them and did my scans.  The turnaround on this has been blazing fast.

Just now, no21kyle said:

Fedex marked mine as "out for delivery" to the LHS today, exactly 9 days after I went in to order them and did my scans.  The turnaround on this has been blazing fast.

Wow that is amazing. Hope they work out for you well. Curios for follow up. 

*deep sigh*

At LHS.  Skates get baked, a little tough to get on even with a shoehorn but that was expected.

Laces tightened (harder than I would have liked, tbh, but lhs guy did it for me), immediately get a familiar feeling:  my feet being crushed from the top.  Within five minutes, my feet were throbbing and my toes were numb.  These skates aren’t deep enough, which is the problem I always have in retail and was trying to fix with customs.

They’re being sharpened now.  I’m gonna take them home, try removing one of the two foot beds and lacing them more to my liking, see if that helps.  I have a bad feeling I am in for a longer, more complicated fitting experience than I hoped.

14 minutes ago, no21kyle said:

*deep sigh*

At LHS.  Skates get baked, a little tough to get on even with a shoehorn but that was expected.

Laces tightened (harder than I would have liked, tbh, but lhs guy did it for me), immediately get a familiar feeling:  my feet being crushed from the top.  Within five minutes, my feet were throbbing and my toes were numb.  These skates aren’t deep enough, which is the problem I always have in retail and was trying to fix with customs.

They’re being sharpened now.  I’m gonna take them home, try removing one of the two foot beds and lacing them more to my liking, see if that helps.  I have a bad feeling I am in for a longer, more complicated fitting experience than I hoped.

In addition to removing the red insoles, I suggest tightening your laces looser than you think you need. Just remove the slack in the laces and pull them barely snug. That's all these skates need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

In addition to removing the red insoles, I suggest tightening your laces looser than you think you need. Just remove the slack in the laces and pull them barely snug. That's all these skates need.

20 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yep, way way looser than you're used to. Barely snug for most of the boot. 

+1 on both. With TRUE skates you barely need to take the slack out of the skates. Also, do NOT use waxed laces. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others already mentioned. No red insole and tighten to only slack is gone. I'd even consider rebake with no red insole and tighten them at only 70% or so, especially the problem areas for you in terms of volume. You also have the option of getting the low profile tongues (unless you have those already)

Do you fail the pencil test considerably or are they just tight width wise? The facings on the Trues have a lot of flexibility when heated up both in terms of accommodating wider feet and narrow.  Can post pictures or where the problem areas are while on your feet?

For me I have very skinny calves and ankles so I need as much wrap as possible or the shrink wrap method was mandatory. 

For u, you may be the group that don't even need to lace the top two eyelets while heat moulding the traditional way. 

I have a feeling your issue can be easily resolved with a proper rebake. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 2

OK, took out the red insole and the laces entirely.  My feet are pressing against the bottom and my heel is locked in the proper position.  I've still got a huge chunk of my foot sticking out above the eyelets:

afhddKL.jpg

Comically failing the pencil test:

2fxSWXL.jpg

Now I'll admit that I've never had skates that fit right so maybe I'm missing something, but that can't be right, can it?

39 minutes ago, no21kyle said:

OK, took out the red insole and the laces entirely.  My feet are pressing against the bottom and my heel is locked in the proper position.  I've still got a huge chunk of my foot sticking out above the eyelets:

afhddKL.jpg

Comically failing the pencil test:

2fxSWXL.jpg

Now I'll admit that I've never had skates that fit right so maybe I'm missing something, but that can't be right, can it?

It doesn't look horrible. With a rebake and less tightening of the laces the facing will likely flare out more and give u a bit more depth. Pencil test is really just a guideline anyways but if it's painful even after rebaking and no red insole, then obviously you should get a remake.

My buddy has club feet and always have lace bite from volume issues. His trues were way off in terms of depth but also length on one skate. His remake worked out fine. 

The one thing I don't understand about true is that I think they rely too much on the thermoformability of their skate where they won't really adjust the facing height where it will always provide the same wrap no matter what your foot shape and depth is. Imo if it were 100% custom everyone should get a calculated facing height in relation to their foot depth but it seems like for the most part the facings are a standard size and they just work for the majority of ppl who fall within a certain range.  I've seen many ppl fail the pencil test but they can get away with it because it doesn't cause pain. 

• Like 1

Laced extremely loosely, they're better. Not great, but better.  I'm still getting some pressure on the top of the foot near the toes, which is causing some numbness and pain in the toes themselves.  The length and width are definitely right. The heel lock is solid.  

I can probably manage to skate on them for a bit tomorrow to see how that feels, then take them in for a rebake where I won't let the worker crank them tight again.  Definitely not the dream fit I was hoping for so far, but we might yet be able to get there with some work.

Did you adjust the tongue so it's not so low? Personally if it causes pain not even skating I would just rebake them first. Pain when just lacing them up isn't a good sign. If you even noticed that they were laces too tight during the bake then that's a sign. I know you're probably hesitant but if just rebake them at home in ur oven. 

• Like 1