Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

The closest place I trust with skate repair is 35 mins away, and I have a handheld rivet gun which would work for this issue.  With that said, I had time today to go to the shop and they put new copper rivets in at no charge (I bought the skates there).  But if a simple issue like this arises again, I would rather not have to drive an hour round trip for a 10 min fix that I can most likely do myself.  Not to mention, the guy who does skate repair there, isn't always there.  Guy also told me that they've had a bunch of people needing rivets replaced on the True tendon guards, so I wouldn't be surprised if this were to happen again down the line.

I wish I lived somewhere that a 35 min drive is far... lol. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one that hasn't had any tendon guard rivet issues with true skates?  I always make sure I don't use them to take the skates off nor do I use it to hold on to when getting the ice off the steel etc. 

The ppl that are having issues do you also put ur hockey socks over the tendon guards? I don't see how the tendon. Guard would come loose unless you do one or all of the three above. 

Edited by Sniper9

44 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Am I the only one that hasn't had any tendon guard rivet issues with true skates?  I always make sure I don't use them to take the skates off nor do I use it to hold on to when getting the ice off the steel etc. 

The ppl that are having issues do you also put ur hockey socks over the tendon guards? I don't see how the tendon. Guard would come loose unless you do one or all of the three above. 

I personally have never had any issues. I wear my shins under the tongue and don't pull my socks over the tendon. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

I have no idea how my rivets popped off, and quite frankly was very surprised that both of them failed around the same time.  One completely popped out and the other, the rivet was still in place, but the burr had popped off.  I wear shins over tongues, but do not put my socks over the tendon guard, nor do I tape/lace around the tendon guard, so I imagine I put very little stress on them.  I also am very careful not to pull on the tendon guard when handling the skates, taking them off, etc.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

I had both mine pop off within 1 to 2 skates after buying them. Had them replaced on 1 skate twice with rivets and they still broke. Eventually I just went to Home Depot and bought a nut and bolt that fit in the hole for less than 2 dollars. Haven't had a single issue since. I do put my socks over my tendon guards, but its obvious after this use the tendon guard can take the abuse, just using rivets was a cheap option for production when there are better options for barely anything more in cost.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Curious, what do the skates look like without the tendon guard? And what do they look like with the nut/bolt instead of a rivet?

If mine ever came loose or off I'd replace the rivets with black helmet screws. 

I'd imagine they would look similar tot the goalie skates without the tendon guard with slight differences such as the comfort pad and lundqvist loop

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

I wonder if they could put Lundy loops on player skates and rig up a removable tendon guard and use the same pair of skates for both positions, just changing steel on the old step holders.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I wonder if they could put Lundy loops on player skates and rig up a removable tendon guard and use the same pair of skates for both positions, just changing steel on the old step holders.

I'm still planning the opposite direction - got a pair of goalie skates for cheap, removed the loop, made my own tendon guard, mounted via T-Nut. Still have to mount some holders.

Off the wall...but has anyone had any ideas for a DIY comfort edge. 
Potentially some neoprene folded over the top of the upper somehow?

The skates seem great, but for how much they are I’m a bit disappointed they do not have this feature. 

17 minutes ago, Wphillyhockey said:

Off the wall...but has anyone had any ideas for a DIY comfort edge. 
Potentially some neoprene folded over the top of the upper somehow?

The skates seem great, but for how much they are I’m a bit disappointed they do not have this feature. 

Do u NEED the feature though? If you look at your skates about 1/4 inch of the top of the skate isn't even hard it's just the liner and faux leather and its soft. There's even a crease which will show you where the Thermo plastic ends  Pretty much replicates what a comfort edge is but not a totally separate piece sewn on.  The comfort edge on the as1 and Bauer's aren't even much of a comfort edge and imo are even harder than the top of the Trues. 

aYzhgsy.jpg

Edited by Sniper9

The nice thing is that top section should be easy to sew some padding to if you wanted it, assuming you have a machine capable of it.

I really should learn to do some gear repair with my industrial machine for a couple extra bucks here and there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Do u NEED the feature though? If you look at your skates about 1/4 inch of the top of the skate isn't even hard it's just the liner and faux leather and its soft. There's even a crease which will show you where the Thermo plastic ends  Pretty much replicates what a comfort edge is but not a totally separate piece sewn on.  The comfort edge on the as1 and Bauer's aren't even much of a comfort edge and imo are even harder than the top of the Trues. 

aYzhgsy.jpg

I see your point and this is very useful information.  (For instance I didn’t realize where the crease is, is where the end of the carbon/plastic boot is).

I actually think the top 1/4” you refer to is not that soft. For instance I tried Makos as a last resort before True’s (M8s and Mako 2s), and my girlfriend has a pair of Mako M7s I just checked out...the same 1/4 section on the M7s has a much better quality finish than the trues, and is softer. 

I didn’t skate in the makos long but definitely got the mako bumps. Maybe that won’t happen with the Trues.

21 minutes ago, Wphillyhockey said:

I see your point and this is very useful information.  (For instance I didn’t realize where the crease is, is where the end of the carbon/plastic boot is).

I actually think the top 1/4” you refer to is not that soft. For instance I tried Makos as a last resort before True’s (M8s and Mako 2s), and my girlfriend has a pair of Mako M7s I just checked out...the same 1/4 section on the M7s has a much better quality finish than the trues, and is softer. 

I didn’t skate in the makos long but definitely got the mako bumps. Maybe that won’t happen with the Trues.

Only way to see is to try em. I've never needed any type of comfort edge on my skates though so my experience wouldn't be helpful to you on that regard. 

8 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Only way to see is to try em. I've never needed any type of comfort edge on my skates though so my experience wouldn't be helpful to you on that regard. 

Yep I agree . Will be my fourth skate on them coming up. 

I also didn’t even know about comfort edges before searching out for new skates...I skates on old vapors for more than a decade, and also never had any “mako bumps” or issues with discomfort with the top of the boot.

Still figures I would see if anyone else has tried to DIY a comfort edge, in case the issue pops up. And as someone else commented with the fake leather upper it’s potentially possible to stitch something...but I’m not sure I’d want to do that. 

...how else would you make a DIY comfort edge without sewing something into the edge of the ankle? 

i guess you could glue it, but that would potentially be sloppy, and/or it would be harder to remove if you don’t like it. 

1 hour ago, Wphillyhockey said:

Yep I agree . Will be my fourth skate on them coming up. 

I also didn’t even know about comfort edges before searching out for new skates...I skates on old vapors for more than a decade, and also never had any “mako bumps” or issues with discomfort with the top of the boot.

Still figures I would see if anyone else has tried to DIY a comfort edge, in case the issue pops up. And as someone else commented with the fake leather upper it’s potentially possible to stitch something...but I’m not sure I’d want to do that. 

If you've had a few skates in them with no issue I don't think you will have issues.  I haven't read anywhere about ppl saying they have issues bc of no comfort edge. Ppl complain about not having them but just bc other brands have them not bc it causes issues.  

Edited by Sniper9

A few people I know with Trues haven’t complained about rubbing at the ankles. My Bauers have comfort edges but as said the hard boot shell is close to the edge, maybe 3-4 mm away from the top of the comfort edge. Yes it is squishy, but it’s needed. 

my current skates don't have the comfort edge, my last pair did. i've never felt a difference, really. my hockey socks end up being under the top of the skate anyway so even though i skate barefoot, that part of the skate never touches my skin

On 11/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, Sniper9 said:

aYzhgsy.jpg

The point of the Comfort Edge isn't for it to be soft, it's to not have an edge.  Having two materials come together to a point will likely cause more abrasion than one which edges are rolled.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 8:19 PM, start_today said:

...how else would you make a DIY comfort edge without sewing something into the edge of the ankle? 

i guess you could glue it, but that would potentially be sloppy, and/or it would be harder to remove if you don’t like it. 

I don't have Trues but do have skates without a comfort edge that bothers me so I made some makeshift ones. Basically I took some leftover memory foam from a matress or something and wrapped it around the edge and taped it down using the clearish medical tape. Pretty simple actually and hasn't come off after something like a year. 

I must skate weird because I only have abrasion problems with one skate. 

I switched to new True skates after two years of my first VH pair last September.

A week ago, the left tendon guard got broken. TBH not sure what happened, I just found it broken during a game.

I am getting a new tendon guard with the warranty and thinking about replacing the rivet to t-nuts and black truss head bolt from Bauer.

I have replaced one of my VH skate to t-nut before and kinda wondering why True is not replacing the rivet.

Is there a certain reason why? 

I wish to know if there's any negative side of replacing the rivets to t-nuts before I replace both of my new skates.

I am pretty sure once I switch to t-nut, I can not go back to rivet because of the size of the hole.

https://ibb.co/55NsB4y

https://ibb.co/m5Vcx8z

have no idea how it's broken

https://ibb.co/52JjBPT
last pic my old VH with truss head bolt

Edited by diddidcl

It depends on the t-nut, if you get one with a small enough diameter and shorten the teeth you can always go back.

On my skates I did a T-Nut and bolt with size M4, didn't have to enlage the hole so I could always go back to a copper rivet.