Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I wonder if I could order a pair of player skates with a Lundqvist loop and the old holders with the the toe tie opening punched out. Replace the rivet with a nut and whip up some sort of covering with some neoprene and boom... goalie/player interchangeable skates.

Unless I’m missing something... but it seems doable. 

On 12/5/2019 at 2:17 PM, dasuchin said:

Anyone have the tguard tongue and the new thin tongue? How do they feel compared to each other? I ordered my pair with the tguard tongue but I'm thinking about ordering the thin tongue to have as well when I go pick them up.

I'd love to hear feedback on this as well. TRUE's online shop shows separate options for both a T-guard and metatarsal protection....does anyone know the difference between the two? The main TRUE website groups both under the same picture.

3 hours ago, GunnarStahl said:

I'd love to hear feedback on this as well. TRUE's online shop shows separate options for both a T-guard and metatarsal protection....does anyone know the difference between the two? The main TRUE website groups both under the same picture.

I have never seen the metatarsal tongue in person and we have never had a player order it. We have had quite a few people order the t-guard tongue, including myself, but I really prefer the new standard thin tongue. 

My understanding is with the metatarsal tongue the plastic is inside the fabric and with the t-guard it's external. 

14 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I have never seen the metatarsal tongue in person and we have never had a player order it. We have had quite a few people order the t-guard tongue, including myself, but I really prefer the new standard thin tongue. 

My understanding is with the metatarsal tongue the plastic is inside the fabric and with the t-guard it's external. 

I ordered mine with the t-guard tongue so that's how they'll come in and how I'll get them baked. If I order the thin tongue and swap it out myself, do I need to rebake them? Or can I just swap them and go?

2 hours ago, dasuchin said:

I ordered mine with the t-guard tongue so that's how they'll come in and how I'll get them baked. If I order the thin tongue and swap it out myself, do I need to rebake them? Or can I just swap them and go?

You can just swap it in and go. If you want to be very thorough you can just bake the tongue in the oven for 4 min, attach it to the skate, and lace the skates up and wait for the tongue to cool down. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 2

Just wanted to give a quick update on my True's since I've now been skating in them for 3 months.

-Durability: Rock solid. I've eaten a couple shots off the ankles and feet and things look fine. No glue or stitching issues.

-Feel: I'm used to the boot now. Coming from FT2 it did feel quite a bit stiffer and with more forward lean. I've grown to like this. On long skates like pick ups where I might be on my feet for 60+ minutes, this can get a little tiring on my calves.

-Looks: Still love the looks with my Step Black in there. Have gotten a few compliments

-Performance: Really can feel my edges more than before. I've been able to go from 5/8 to 11/16 and I feel a little faster. I'm winning races for pucks and on breakaways defenseman aren't able to catch me as easily. I do not find the heavier weight to be noticeable or an issue.

What I have noticed for sure, is the padding/foams inside sort of... condense? I think I mentioned it before but now that they are really broken in, I'm feeling some extra volume overall and they definitely need a rebake and rewrap on my foot. Over the past 4 or 5 skates I've found myself having to relace my skates multiple times per game to try to keep things as tightened up as possible. No foot pain whatsoever, unlike my FT2 which would leave my foot throbbing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Just wanted to give a quick update on my True's since I've now been skating in them for 3 months.

-Durability: Rock solid. I've eaten a couple shots off the ankles and feet and things look fine. No glue or stitching issues.

-Feel: I'm used to the boot now. Coming from FT2 it did feel quite a bit stiffer and with more forward lean. I've grown to like this. On long skates like pick ups where I might be on my feet for 60+ minutes, this can get a little tiring on my calves.

-Looks: Still love the looks with my Step Black in there. Have gotten a few compliments

-Performance: Really can feel my edges more than before. I've been able to go from 5/8 to 11/16 and I feel a little faster. I'm winning races for pucks and on breakaways defenseman aren't able to catch me as easily. I do not find the heavier weight to be noticeable or an issue.

What I have noticed for sure, is the padding/foams inside sort of... condense? I think I mentioned it before but now that they are really broken in, I'm feeling some extra volume overall and they definitely need a rebake and rewrap on my foot. Over the past 4 or 5 skates I've found myself having to relace my skates multiple times per game to try to keep things as tightened up as possible. No foot pain whatsoever, unlike my FT2 which would leave my foot throbbing.

Where was the pain in your FT2s? I'm really hoping these solve my issues when they come in.

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

Yeah...just rebake and compression wrap again...

2 hours ago, dasuchin said:

Where was the pain in your FT2s? I'm really hoping these solve my issues when they come in.

Forefoot. EE was too wide in the heel. As1 too deep and a little too wide. 

2 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Yeah...just rebake and compression wrap again...

I think I read 200F for 8 mins is the recommended baking time?

3 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

I think I read 200F for 8 mins is the recommended baking time?

To be safe, follow this, but in my experience, Trues typically need to be in the oven a bit longer to get ideal malleability.  I also had each skate baked separately.  Also, remember, convection is a lot different than your standard heat.

Yeah I'm not willing to pay Hockey Monkey 40 bills to use their convection oven... I plan to use my home oven. Above by SVH says ~195F... I'd probably heat it to 200-205 then turn the oven off and place my oven thermometer inside til it hit 195F. Slap a skate in for the proper time... take out... repeat. By turning the element off and waiting a few minutes, the heat inside should "even out" and become more convection like. 

2 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Yeah I'm not willing to pay Hockey Monkey 40 bills to use their convection oven... I plan to use my home oven. Above by SVH says ~195F... I'd probably heat it to 200-205 then turn the oven off and place my oven thermometer inside til it hit 195F. Slap a skate in for the proper time... take out... repeat. By turning the element off and waiting a few minutes, the heat inside should "even out" and become more convection like. 

For trues turning the oven off will allow it to cool down too much. The sheet that came with the skates should tell you how to bake at home. I think it was 15+ mins at home. 

I have a convection gas stove and I baked mine for 6 ish mins at 200, then flipped them and let it bake for another 5-6 at 200. This allowed it to be the perfectly malleable. Just make sure you keep an eye on the thermometer. 

I did one skate at a time to be sure I wasn't rushing and took my time using a shoe horn etc. I allowed it to fully cool for 15 mins per skate before taking them off then straight into the freezer for another five mins.  

I really wrapped the crap out of the skates with the shrink wrap, probably excessively lol. But I figured I wanted it to be as tight as possible. I'm really happy with the outcome.  I also made sure I wrapped them the same way on both skates. In my case working the wrap from medial side of the skate up towards the laces then around down the outside of the skate. 

7 hours ago, z1ggy said:

What I have noticed for sure, is the padding/foams inside sort of... condense? I think I mentioned it before but now that they are really broken in, I'm feeling some extra volume overall and they definitely need a rebake and rewrap on my foot. Over the past 4 or 5 skates I've found myself having to relace my skates multiple times per game to try to keep things as tightened up as possible. No foot pain whatsoever, unlike my FT2 which would leave my foot throbbing

The grey clarino liner is quite thick, designed this way to repel moisture from being soaked into the skate. Over time it can compress in specific areas, such as the heel and ankle. I always recommend players bake them again after they adjust to the skates and the skates start to break in. 

1 hour ago, shooter27 said:

Which of those videos is more recent? The first one has them laced all the way up and the second uses the shrink wrap method.  Which is the current and best recommendation?

I believe the True Academy videos are more recent than the How To videos.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

For trues turning the oven off will allow it to cool down too much. The sheet that came with the skates should tell you how to bake at home. I think it was 15+ mins at home. 

I have a convection gas stove and I baked mine for 6 ish mins at 200, then flipped them and let it bake for another 5-6 at 200. This allowed it to be the perfectly malleable. Just make sure you keep an eye on the thermometer. 

I did one skate at a time to be sure I wasn't rushing and took my time using a shoe horn etc. I allowed it to fully cool for 15 mins per skate before taking them off then straight into the freezer for another five mins.  

I really wrapped the crap out of the skates with the shrink wrap, probably excessively lol. But I figured I wanted it to be as tight as possible. I'm really happy with the outcome.  I also made sure I wrapped them the same way on both skates. In my case working the wrap from medial side of the skate up towards the laces then around down the outside of the skate. 

Well, I certainly don't want the heating element inside the oven on while they are baking... even with flipping the skate I feel like I would risk heating the skates unevenly if I did that because my oven is electric. The methods I've seen online for people with these kinds of stoves is to heat it up past the actual baking temp, turn the oven off and then let it cool down to just above the temp you need. Opening the door to put a skate in will let some heat out but once you close it, it shouldn't lose heat too quickly. I mean... if for some reason it was losing heat at a really rapid rate, then I'd probably have no choice but to bring it in to HM to use their skate oven.

Also, I actually don't have a shoe horn right now.... is that a 100% requirement once you've already broken the skates in?

13 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Well, I certainly don't want the heating element inside the oven on while they are baking... even with flipping the skate I feel like I would risk heating the skates unevenly if I did that because my oven is electric. The methods I've seen online for people with these kinds of stoves is to heat it up past the actual baking temp, turn the oven off and then let it cool down to just above the temp you need. Opening the door to put a skate in will let some heat out but once you close it, it shouldn't lose heat too quickly. I mean... if for some reason it was losing heat at a really rapid rate, then I'd probably have no choice but to bring it in to HM to use their skate oven.

Also, I actually don't have a shoe horn right now.... is that a 100% requirement once you've already broken the skates in?

Yes, you need to use a shoe horn because the glues and such become very soft when you heat the skates and you don't want to risk tearing the liner. 

Is your oven convection? 

4 hours ago, z1ggy said:

The instructions online are for conventional skates that only need to be heated 3-5 mins tops. I guarantee you if u left true skates in the oven with the oven off for 10+ mins, it won't heat up enough. But hey it's your call. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Yes, you need to use a shoe horn because the glues and such become very soft when you heat the skates and you don't want to risk tearing the liner. 

Is your oven convection? 

Dang ok Guess I'll need to get one...

Nope, I didn't see any buttons or settings that would lead me to believe it has a fan or any kind of convection setting. I'll text my landlord and see if he knows any better.

12 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

The instructions online are for conventional skates that only need to be heated 3-5 mins tops. I guarantee you if u left true skates in the oven with the oven off for 10+ mins, it won't heat up enough. But hey it's your call. 

Yeah, I'll have to see tonight how fast it cools down once I turn it off. Worst case.... $20 at HM or Pure. Still don't get why it's that much $$ when a skate sharpening takes them almost as long as is $8... Must really jack up their electricity bill or something.

34 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Dang ok Guess I'll need to get one...

Nope, I didn't see any buttons or settings that would lead me to believe it has a fan or any kind of convection setting. I'll text my landlord and see if he knows any better.

Yeah, I'll have to see tonight how fast it cools down once I turn it off. Worst case.... $20 at HM or Pure. Still don't get why it's that much $$ when a skate sharpening takes them almost as long as is $8... Must really jack up their electricity bill or something.

Has nothing to do with the electricity bill and everything to do with having customers buying skates locally from those stores.

3 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

Has nothing to do with the electricity bill and everything to do with having customers buying skates locally from those stores.

I didn't buy my skates there, but last time I checked they still charge the same price for a sharpening whether somebody did or didn't buy them there ( I'm sure the initial sharpening is free, but not ones after that). Not saying your reason is wrong but... it doesn't quite make 100% logical sense to me.

Anyway, it's besides the point. I'll be baking these one way or another, and re-wrapping with shrink wrap. I'll report back with any thoughts on if my fit improved and so on.

1) Stores charge for baking skates cause they ideally want you to buy the skates from them.  That's why if you buy from them, baking is usually free.  I bought my Trues from Pure Hockey, and since they have me in their records, to this day (they're 2 year old skates), they've never charged me for a bake, rivet repair, eyelet repair, etc.  My previous skates I bought from Pure, and those too, they never charged for bakes, punching/stretching.

2) Again, it's at your own risk, but with a convection oven, the heat dynamics are much different than a regular oven.

3) Absolutely recommend a shoe horn so your liner doesn't slip.

4) If you're going to do the shrink wrap method, it is really helpful to have another set of hands to help you.  Just watch the True Academy video, and you can see why.

Mine randomly came in so I’m sitting here at Pure Hockey getting them baked. They didn’t do the shrink wrap method, just baked them for 15 minutes and letting them cool on my feet after lacing them up.  I read things about how they don’t feel like skates and they feel like a sock, that’s really the best way to put it. There’s zero negative space. Let’s hope they fix my issues.