Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Randomly wondering.

Who is using the new Shift holder?

If you aren't using the Shift holder, what holder are you using? LS Edge? CCM XS? Previous version of the TRUE holder? 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Randomly wondering.

If you aren't using the Shift holder, what holder are you using? LS Edge? CCM XS? Previous version of the TRUE holder? 

I'm using the Shift holder.

3 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Randomly wondering.

Got my skates last week and went with the XS holder, love the skates and the holder.

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Randomly wondering.

I have the LS2 holder. At the time it was either that or the LS Edge, or boot only.

I found a few more spots where the glue on my skates is weak and seams coming apart at the top of the boot. I emailed the warranty email address last night. How long do they typically take to respond?

37 minutes ago, Van67 said:

I found a few more spots where the glue on my skates is weak and seams coming apart at the top of the boot. I emailed the warranty email address last night. How long do they typically take to respond?

If it's just glue I wouldn't waste my time to have it shipped out and shipped back. I'd just glue it myself 

6 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I put my stuff in front of a large portable dehumidifier and spray with a medical grade disinfectant. 

Can't beat it. 

I never need to disinfect my stuff when I promptly air dry it after every use 

7 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Randomly wondering.

Sb 4.0. Love them. 

15 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

If it's just glue I wouldn't waste my time to have it shipped out and shipped back. I'd just glue it myself 

That's the thought that's been going through my mind. Couple spots that need a bit more attention than others and I have a local guy who is good with equipment, so I am fine going that route. (It looks like they just didn't use enough material above the stitching to have a good hold. I'm also quite disappointed with this kind of quality control for $1100+ and wasn't going to not make True aware of it. Thrilled with the comfort and performance for what I do on the ice these days, but I said some bad words when I took them off last night. 

Now that I think more as I type, would having a small repair like gluing seams back together done locally void the warranty if something worse goes wrong?

17 minutes ago, Van67 said:

That's the thought that's been going through my mind. Couple spots that need a bit more attention than others and I have a local guy who is good with equipment, so I am fine going that route. (It looks like they just didn't use enough material above the stitching to have a good hold. I'm also quite disappointed with this kind of quality control for $1100+ and wasn't going to not make True aware of it. Thrilled with the comfort and performance for what I do on the ice these days, but I said some bad words when I took them off last night. 

Now that I think more as I type, would having a small repair like gluing seams back together done locally void the warranty if something worse goes wrong?

Post pics

Yeah.  Those aren't great.  Is that out of the box or post bake?  I had very small glue "blemish" areas, but nothing like the ones in the pics.  Call True.  They're pretty good at responding to e-mails, but phone is even faster.  Their customer service department is very helpful.

18 minutes ago, Van67 said:

These are the worst spots. 

FOshhMp.jpg

2oreB4E.jpg

Ya that's worse than I thought. The area on the upper cuff part. Is the stitching still in tact? If so you can just use loctite or similar product. Or even shoe glue.  Something flexible is prob best. 

As for the rubber trim, looks like it wasn't laid properly and is almost lifting bc it should be stretched out more. Possibly Remove the tendon guard and shorten the strip and put the tendon guard back on... Which isn't as much work as it sounds. Interesting how it doesn't look like they used the bead of epoxy to seal the rubber and the carbon together. 

Edited by Sniper9

The stitching is good..

FAyoLqU.jpg

Seems to me like the problem could have been avoided by adding more stitching above the material inside rather than relying on adhesives.

As for the tendon guard issue, the bad spots can be pushed down where they belong, the gluing was just a bad job. Not sure the guy I would take these to would need to remove it to glue them down. Will be his call though. He's the expert.

Edited by Van67
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Van67 said:

The stitching is good..

FAyoLqU.jpg

Seems to me like the problem could have been avoided by adding more stitching above the material inside rather than relying on adhesives.

As for the tendon guard issue, the bad spots can be pushed down where they belong, the gluing was just a bad job. Not sure the guy I would take these to would need to remove it to glue them down. Will be his call though. He's the expert.

Why don't u just try doing it yourself. Chances are bc of the long bake times , the adhesives get loose/ melt a bit. It happens. So it may not necessarily be a qc thing as pre bake it could've been stuck pretty good. Honestly I wouldn't bother paying someone to do it and just get some flexible adhesive and do it myself. Or even loctite gel super glue. I know true used to recommend using the loctite super glue for liner issues. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Randomly wondering.

SB4.0 love that holder. I'd have gone XS if they had it available during my switch though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Van67 said:

The stitching is good..

FAyoLqU.jpg

If you do take off the tendon guard for repairs, you might as well flare the copper rivet when putting a new one in or change out to a bolt.  In my experience, the copper rivets at the tendon guard fail pretty easily.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:31 AM, IPv6Freely said:

I think I’m going to go get scanned for new goalie skates. Does anyone have experience at either Pure Hockey in Anaheim or Hockey Monkey in Irvine? It’s about an hour away either way. I just want to make sure the fitters are competent and they use the correct techniques when baking. 

I got my first pair done at Hockey Monkey several years ago.  I got my second pair done a few weeks ago at Ultimate Skate & Hockey at TSC.  I don't know if the process has improved or what, but I felt like the guy there did a much better job.  He was doing some impressive side lunges and what not to really scan low on my foot.  I haven't gotten the second pair yet but the scan was definitely better when he showed me and they at least knew about the plastic wrap baking process.  To be honest, I'll probably bake them at home when they come though.  It takes like an hour to do it right and I can at least sit in my house and watch TV.  I've rebaked mine a couple times most recently to use the plastic wrap and it turns out fine if you have a convection oven, are carefu and do one at a time.

Edit: The proshop at The Rinks Anaheim Ice and Great Park Ice are both the same owner as TSC.  TSC just happens to be close to my work and seems to have the most knowledgable employees.  Anaheim Ice is supposed to be decent as well.  GPI is mostly kids.   You can get them scanned at TSC and shipped to whichever shop is closer to you though. 

Edited by xfrost11

So this is True's non-custom retail model? I wonder how well they fit. I'd likely be happy with non-custom on something with the mold-ability of the Mako. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

So this is True's non-custom retail model? I wonder how well they fit. I'd likely be happy with non-custom on something with the mold-ability of the Mako. 

Yep, exactly this.  Anyone know the details for these?

Mark

So I decided to take the leap to Pro Custom Skate during the December promo of free customization. Shot blocker, tongue, embroidery, black steel and express delivery! Sign me up. Went in to Pro Hockey Life got scanned easy peasy, or at least I thought. Pick up time 2 weeks or more later.... you know the express part of my order!! Well that was put on the back burner because they had my skates for over two weeks before calling me.... and fibbing to me over the phone and also over charging me for the blacksteel upgrade which was supposed to be free. I decided to phone the factory after being told my skates weren’t in and found out about the blacksteel upgrade confirming it was free with the promo. They were also super nice and gave the tracking number for the skates, which proved they had my skates for weeks before calling me. They also informed me that the blacksteel was back ordered but they sent me the normal steel for free to get me going until the black came in. So the call came 10 plus days after confirmed delivery to the store kind of peeved because the promo was a huge reason why I went to this store as it was the only Truefit centre close to me. So I drove an hour to pick up my skates and they were clueless on how to bake these things, tied them up super tight all the way up and no wrap. Also after that they had no time to sharpen! What awesome service. So I went home and did my bit of research on trues website etc and here are my thoughts and advise 

As soon as you guys get these things adjust the tounge accordingly via the Velcro option without laces and fine tune until your ready for the bake as the tongue has a huge impact on your fit and you want yours set up for the bake to help comfort (I took mine to my local sharpener and got him to heat them back up so I could re do the bake process) make sure the folks doing yours have watched the video of the wrap bake from true. you spent a lot of money dealers should be informed! After the fitting process skate the with your average sharpen,after one skate I knew that the pitch of boot along with shift holders was not for me. Coming from a Bauer supreme for a majority of my life a neutral pitch is what I needed so after a couple trials with profiling (shaving the rear profile down) I got the balance and feel I am use to. 

Build quality:

they are 100% built for my feet as I have two different size feet. Im out a size in Bauer and 3/4 in a true these things are really dialed to each foot. I played with the red inserts for fit and can say now I’m happy with the results. Don’t be thrown off by the shift holder because of the pitch and extra height I have found that a good guy behind the wheel can get the feel you want without wasting money on swapping out holders and steel! Bring your old skates in and have him take measurements to your set up to help the process. NOTE... I just got my blacksteel in the mail as they shipped them direct to me as I refused to go back to the store (I wouldn’t let them sell gatorade to me) and wow they have a lot more steel on them compared to the first versions of Step that came with them! A lovely surprise as the photos of the blacksteel I have seen were much smaller! Lots of more room to profile without having so little blade life left, oh ya and still 2 sets! I opted for the T guard upgrade and got embroidery along with the shot blockers. I don’t feel the weight of skate being an issue. The overall quality of assembly looks good I haven’t had any issues thus far. As for the liner I went with the moisture wicking which is what my old skates had and I never had an issue with that. Seems the opposite choice of what most have chose on here.

Closing note: 

A long journey for skates but I’m happy with them now. It’s really to bad the dealer/store I dealt with was that bad. It really did make me wonder if I was going to end up with useless skates, no customer should have to do the kind of research and work afterwards to get a good product especially one that is in this price point! Thank god for the customer service at the factory, the Lady was awesome and contrary to what others have said they pick up the phone rather regularly even if you are pestering them.

Photo link of steel comparison etc

https://imgur.com/a/V9KQJVJ

• Like 1