Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Wanted to give a brief follow up.  I’m currently on my third instance of trying to get my new True skates to fit correctly. The issue is volume...the skates are a bit long (tons of room in my toe box, as compared to my NXGs) and the heel slippage is fairly significant.  I’m more shocked with the amount of negative space in the boot as compared to the NXGs I’ve worn the past 6/7 years or so. Initially the volume issues were significant and my LHS sent them back to True.  I’m not overtly sure what they did but the middle of my foot felt I bit more secure when I got them back.  The significant amount of room in the toe box bugged me but I thought maybe this is how these skates fit.  Once my foot started to sweat, the significant heel and arch movement started to pop up again.

My LHS took them back and it sounds as though True may do a remake.  Hopefully this works. Ordered the skates on 12/31...this has been a long process. 

2 hours ago, pds said:

Wanted to give a brief follow up.  I’m currently on my third instance of trying to get my new True skates to fit correctly. The issue is volume...the skates are a bit long (tons of room in my toe box, as compared to my NXGs) and the heel slippage is fairly significant.  I’m more shocked with the amount of negative space in the boot as compared to the NXGs I’ve worn the past 6/7 years or so. Initially the volume issues were significant and my LHS sent them back to True.  I’m not overtly sure what they did but the middle of my foot felt I bit more secure when I got them back.  The significant amount of room in the toe box bugged me but I thought maybe this is how these skates fit.  Once my foot started to sweat, the significant heel and arch movement started to pop up again.

My LHS took them back and it sounds as though True may do a remake.  Hopefully this works. Ordered the skates on 12/31...this has been a long process. 

Totally sucks. But did you try moving the tongue lower to remove more toebox space? For me that removed s significant amount of space but that only takes away the height not width. I found the clarino liner pretty slippery when wet. If you're using a really thin dri fit type sock that adds to the problem. When. I use regular Hanes cotton socks the trip is much better and slipping is pretty much non existent. 

Edited by Sniper9

2 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Totally sucks. But did you try moving the tongue lower to remove more toebox space? For me that removed s significant amount of space but that only takes away the height not width. I found the clarino liner pretty slippery when wet. If you're using a really thin dri fit type sock that adds to the problem. When. I use regular Hanes cotton socks the trip is much better and slipping is pretty much non existent. 

Interesting, no I didn’t move the tongue around this time. I did play with it the first time I received the skates.  I am using the cut resistance Bauer socks.  Here’s the thing, I have never had these types of issues before With other skates. I’ll give it one more go then I am going to have to go back to a Bauer/ccm skate. Maybe my foot is just odd.  I’m a strong believer that if they just make the skate slightly shorter and somehow figure out the heel lock mechanism I’ll be fine.

Thanks for the response and the heads up about the clarino liner!

12 minutes ago, pds said:

Interesting, no I didn’t move the tongue around this time. I did play with it the first time I received the skates.  I am using the cut resistance Bauer socks.  Here’s the thing, I have never had these types of issues before With other skates. I’ll give it one more go then I am going to have to go back to a Bauer/ccm skate. Maybe my foot is just odd.  I’m a strong believer that if they just make the skate slightly shorter and somehow figure out the heel lock mechanism I’ll be fine.

I find The Bauer cut resistant socks actually the best in terms of grip so ya there's definitely something wrong. Maybe you should play with the tongue to see if it'll fix the toe box issue. All the toe boxes are the same as those aren't custom but they merely just go over the carbo. That is made for your foot... I mentioned before the for is quite different than other brands like Bauer any CCM and part of it is the way the heel fits. There's def more room in the Trues but it shouldn't be sloppy while skating. Did they rescan your foot for the remake?  

6 hours ago, pds said:

Just curious, but what size skate do you typically wear?

19 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I find The Bauer cut resistant socks actually the best in terms of grip so ya there's definitely something wrong. Maybe you should play with the tongue to see if it'll fix the toe box issue. All the toe boxes are the same as those aren't custom but they merely just go over the carbo. That is made for your foot... I mentioned before the for is quite different than other brands like Bauer any CCM and part of it is the way the heel fits. There's def more room in the Trues but it shouldn't be sloppy while skating. Did they rescan your foot for the remake?  

There is more room in the True as compared to supremes?  Definitely don’t like the sounds of that.  My buddy noted he has zero negative space in his boot and zero movement...like the boot is completely attached to his foot. He noted he has a tough time getting skates off and on still.

they have not rescanned much foot yet.  Really have no idea what’s going on, other than my LHS noting they would reimburse me if this isn’t figured out or if I’m not satisfied.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, Sniper9 said:

You shouldn't need stable socks for a custom skate otherwise they weren't made properly for you. It's been discussed in this thread regarding how the true skates may feel a bit more roomier in the heel as the pocket is deeper to allow a deeper knee bend. The clamp will only help is the heel pocket is too wide. 

Did u heat mould using the stretch wrap technique? If not, I would do that first as that method really eliminates every ounce of negative space. 

I am getting heel slip. I have been using the stretch wrap technique as well as the ratchet clamp technique. True also sent me more of the red foot beds to remove negative space, but none of this seems to work. I still have my heel slipping up around 1cm (is this too much?) I do have a narrow heel and narrow ankles. The only skates which locked down my heels were the Easton S15 and S17 with their aggressive ankle lock design.

My True skates hug my ankles snuggly after the stretch wrap technique, but my narrow, sloped ankles do not provide enough grip to prevent slip. There are a few other problems.

One, my toes do not brush the toe cap when standing.

Two, the heel pocket is too wide and provide no lateral grip.

Three, there is space behind/above my heel. Why do most True skates have this big camel hump on the back if the skate? When I reach inside the hump, it's filled with foam padding. Was it designed for people with Bauer bump? Is the heel portion of my True skate actually fitted for me? I know it's mostly custom, but I wonder if this heel part is generic. And if it is fully custom, why is there this hump when my feet aren't shaped like this?

21 minutes ago, eugene8080 said:

I am getting heel slip. I have been using the stretch wrap technique as well as the ratchet clamp technique. True also sent me more of the red foot beds to remove negative space, but none of this seems to work. I still have my heel slipping up around 1cm (is this too much?) I do have a narrow heel and narrow ankles. The only skates which locked down my heels were the Easton S15 and S17 with their aggressive ankle lock design.

My True skates hug my ankles snuggly after the stretch wrap technique, but my narrow, sloped ankles do not provide enough grip to prevent slip. There are a few other problems.

One, my toes do not brush the toe cap when standing.

Two, the heel pocket is too wide and provide no lateral grip.

Three, there is space behind/above my heel. Why do most True skates have this big camel hump on the back if the skate? When I reach inside the hump, it's filled with foam padding. Was it designed for people with Bauer bump? Is the heel portion of my True skate actually fitted for me? I know it's mostly custom, but I wonder if this heel part is generic. And if it is fully custom, why is there this hump when my feet aren't shaped like this?

The increased heel pocket is to allow more forward bend. The further the heel sits in the pocket the more forward you are in terms of knee bend. I have a feeling it has to do with how you are scanned. If you are scanned with TOO much forward flex , then technically the heel pocket could be created too deep. I think this is where training their fitters/scanners properly is key and doesn't seem like true is really doing this. If u think about it if they create a last from a scan where the player is too flexed forward, Itll create a boot that doesn't resemble a players proper stance. Conversely if they create a boot off a scan where the player isn't flexed far enough it'll create a boot that's restrictive in the forward flex position and too neutral, causing a heel pocket that's too shallow and potentially restriction forward flex. 

When I first transitioned to from my old Bauer supreme one100s to the Trues it took me some adjustment in terms of how they fit. The Bauer's were pretty locked. The trues were more comfortable and I felt they performed better but I did feel like they were more roomier. Not sure if it's bc of the padding being thicker. But as the padding did pack slightly, it def felt more locked in. I do recommend a second bake after about a month or two of skating though after the padding settles. 

Either way if you aren't happy and believe there is a fit issue outside what I described, then you should bring it up, but if you are having a skate remade you should def have your feet rescanned to eliminate that aspect as being the problem. When you do your knee bend you really need to make sure your knees are centred over your feet and not leaning onward causing probation/flat foot, or to the outside causing supination / higher arch. Lastly your knees should not go past your toes during the bend. 

On 3/10/2020 at 10:36 PM, methosb said:

I think I got it at Ironman hardware store in Tai Kok Tsui. 21 Beech St. That was some years ago though. 

I went to Thomson Street in Wanchi and found the exact Irwin Quick-Grip Ratchet clamp Scott Van Horne used in his old VH skate vid. It's rubber grip holds the skate better than other models I've tried. But the carbon fiber heel construction of the skate is stubbornly stiff, I'm having trouble compressing it at all after heating. The ankle portion gets softer, but that's not what I should be targeting right?

34 minutes ago, eugene8080 said:

I went to Thomson Street in Wanchi and found the exact Irwin Quick-Grip Ratchet clamp Scott Van Horne used in his old VH skate vid. It's rubber grip holds the skate better than other models I've tried. But the carbon fiber heel construction of the skate is stubbornly stiff, I'm having trouble compressing it at all after heating. The ankle portion gets softer, but that's not what I should be targeting right?

U need a heat gun to spot heat it. But be careful. Go on YouTube and look up mlx skates and you'll find a few modification videos for the arch and I think heel as well. You'll get s good idea on how to spot heat the skates by looking at the mlx videos. 

2 hours ago, eugene8080 said:

Be careful to not apply too much heat or pressure as you might break the carbon on the heel. Honestly, I think you need to have the skates remade. 

• Like 1

I agree with the above, it sounds like the last they used to make your skates was not narrow enough in the heel. You are not the first to have this problem, there are others who have had issues with a narrow heel fit. Based on what you have said, you need to get rescanned then the boots remade with the fitter taking manual measurements of your heel AND noting the heel width eg same as Bauer A. Pressing the boot inwards at the base of the heel is not the answer, any pressure on it and it will eventually want to move to its original shape over time and this is accelerated if you have any bio mechanical issues such as pronation.

Edited by Vet88

On 3/4/2020 at 5:06 PM, Justinm said:

. NOTE... I just got my blacksteel in the mail as they shipped them direct to me as I refused to go back to the store (I wouldn’t let them sell gatorade to me) and wow they have a lot more steel on them compared to the first versions of Step that came with them! A lovely surprise as the photos of the blacksteel I have seen were much smaller! Lots of more room to profile without having so little blade life left, oh ya and still 2 sets! I opted for the T guard upgrade and got embroidery along with the shot blockers. I don’t feel the weight of skate being an issue. The overall quality of assembly looks good I haven’t had any issues thus far. As for the liner I went with the moisture wicking which is what my old skates had and I never had an issue with that. Seems the opposite choice of what most have chose on here.

Closing note: 

A long journey for skates but I’m happy with them now. It’s really to bad the dealer/store I dealt with was that bad. It really did make me wonder if I was going to end up with useless skates, no customer should have to do the kind of research and work afterwards to get a good product especially one that is in this price point! Thank god for the customer service at the factory, the Lady was awesome and contrary to what others have said they pick up the phone rather regularly even if you are pestering them.

Photo link of steel comparison etc

https://imgur.com/a/V9KQJVJ

I am so envious.  Just received in the mail a couple of pairs of Blacksteel that just came in to a retailer from True - and they were the same as my old ones. 
oh well, at least I have backups now to last a while.

I How did your story end up? I guess one of the problems could be with the LHS. They measure the length of the feet, and True applies them to the image they receive.

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

There is a few very minor changes but its mostly the v2 version of the skates. I weighed the TF9 vs my 2019/2020 Pro Customs and the weight was within 20 grams. 

What was the weight difference between v1 and v2 you had?  I have shotblockers in the last version of VH, which is an extra 50 grams I believe.  Looking at how much weight I could save to the new version.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

They look fantastic. I'd probably go TF Pro Custom for my goalie skates (assuming they bring out a goalie model...) and TF7 for my regular skates to replace my Makos. 

The site shows two custom goalie models, a 1-piece and a 2-piece model. I'm not a goalie but the one piece looks wild.

Edit: This is a huge game changer for the industry. I am really psyched on what True is doing and I'm excited to support this brand. 

Edited by Miller55
Didn't wanna double post

I just want to order custom True skates, without the holder and just the boot. My kid skates on Marsblade and have no use for the True Shift holder...

1 hour ago, BureKovy said:

What was the weight difference between v1 and v2 you had?  I have shotblockers in the last version of VH, which is an extra 50 grams I believe.  Looking at how much weight I could save to the new version.

I saw about 65 grams difference between v1 and v2. 

34 minutes ago, Coldclay said:

I just want to order custom True skates, without the holder and just the boot. My kid skates on Marsblade and have no use for the True Shift holder...

They dont allow orders without a holder attached. 

Has anyone heard who True is going to be using for runners yet. That picture doesn't look like STEP, which we know is phasing out production.