Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

10 hours ago, SolarWind said:

does anyone else around here skip top eyelet in Trues? I've always been doing it in Supremes but was under the impression Trues flex differently so skipping isn't required?

I skip the top 2 (pairs of) eyelets when I play. I often practice with the laces untied though.

Edited by Larry54

11 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation Pucks!

didn't realize True was reinventing the wheel so much with their holder?! 

comparing @ the store side by side it looked lower, but it might be misleading if the foot sits lower in it.

what I found surprising was that Chara skips the top eyelet in his Trues, but I don't recall him ever doing it in Bauers he was all these years before switching to True?!

does anyone else around here skip top eyelet in Trues? I've always been doing it in Supremes but was under the impression Trues flex differently so skipping isn't required?

My first pair of Trues I didn't skip. My current ones I skip. I think it's mainly to do with the fact that for my second pair I used the saran wrap technique and it created way more wrap than my first. If I tie all the eyelets I felt I had no ankle flexion. If I tied the top two loosely it didn't feel locked in enough. So I dropped the top eyelet and kept the tension tight and I found the perfect balance. 

• Like 1

I've had custom True skates since Jan of 2018, and I'm starting to notice the right skate isn't as snug, and feels loose. It has a sloppy feel to it, and doesn't matter how tight I tie the skates, it also feels loose. Have others experienced this with their skates when hitting a 2+ or 3+ year mark of use? I get a good amount of hours on my skates weekly, so I'm wondering if it is simply the padding wearing down, as the bottom liner is rubbing out also in the heel area from movement probably. Is it possible to have the skate(s) rebaked in hopes of it molding to my foot a little tighter? Or is it simply a sign of skates being 3 years old, with a lot of miles on them. Outside of this, no major issues, no pain or discomfort. Curious how others have held up in the durability department. 

I skip the second from the top and do the top.  Always skipped top eyelet in previous skates.  Its not tightness so much as finding the ideal combo to let you get flexion while leveraging the stiffness of the boot.  Also messed with pushing the tounge all the way in the toe box.  I like the edge of the tounge to land right before the toe knuckle.  Pushing it all the way to the front felt more snug for sure but it inhibited an agressive toe snap, for me at least. I like snug but I dont need the skates super tight, better for me to splay my foot to evenly distribute weight over the entire blade but snug enough to avoid slippage. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 7:11 PM, Buddy said:

I've had custom True skates since Jan of 2018, and I'm starting to notice the right skate isn't as snug, and feels loose. It has a sloppy feel to it, and doesn't matter how tight I tie the skates, it also feels loose. Have others experienced this with their skates when hitting a 2+ or 3+ year mark of use? I get a good amount of hours on my skates weekly, so I'm wondering if it is simply the padding wearing down, as the bottom liner is rubbing out also in the heel area from movement probably. Is it possible to have the skate(s) rebaked in hopes of it molding to my foot a little tighter? Or is it simply a sign of skates being 3 years old, with a lot of miles on them. Outside of this, no major issues, no pain or discomfort. Curious how others have held up in the durability department. 

Definitely rebake and use the saran wrap technique.  Also might be a good idea to get fresh tongues. Or rebake your tongue but don't mold them so they don't form creases while warm, and it'll help rejuvenate them to some degree. 

Edited by Sniper9

Hey guys, new True user and I’m hoping you can help me out. I had my TF9s baked and they fit great. I do have to undo the top two eyelets in order to open the tongue up enough to be able to twist my foot at an angle to slide it into the boot. The problem is, I can’t get laces through the top two eyelets once the skates are on. The wrap is simply too snug against the tongue. I’ve seen True’s video about heating up this area and rolling out the cuffs, but doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the wrap? I’ve tried skating with the top two eyelets undone but it just doesn’t feel ‘right’. At least not yet having skated my entire life on traditional boots.

suggestions/advice? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Westside said:

Hey guys, new True user and I’m hoping you can help me out. I had my TF9s baked and they fit great. I do have to undo the top two eyelets in order to open the tongue up enough to be able to twist my foot at an angle to slide it into the boot. The problem is, I can’t get laces through the top two eyelets once the skates are on. The wrap is simply too snug against the tongue. I’ve seen True’s video about heating up this area and rolling out the cuffs, but doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the wrap? I’ve tried skating with the top two eyelets undone but it just doesn’t feel ‘right’. At least not yet having skated my entire life on traditional boots.

suggestions/advice? 

Easy.  Fold the tounge over, slide the laces into the eyelets behind the tounge then leave enough slack to put the tounge back. 

Thank you. Just put in slightly longer laces which would allow me to do this. Still more difficult than I’ve ever had with other skates, but I’m sure with practice and once the skate breaks in a bit more it’ll get easier. I’m also wondering if it’s more difficult because of the memory foam tongue on the TF9 vs a traditional felt tongue? I was thinking about picking up a different tongue for these skates

4 minutes ago, Westside said:

Thank you. Just put in slightly longer laces which would allow me to do this. Still more difficult than I’ve ever had with other skates, but I’m sure with practice and once the skate breaks in a bit more it’ll get easier. I’m also wondering if it’s more difficult because of the memory foam tongue on the TF9 vs a traditional felt tongue? I was thinking about picking up a different tongue for these skates

Only thing I dont love about Trues is the ankle wrap, hard to roll ankles in and out unless u skip eyelets but u get good flexion front to back if you lace all the way up.  I would argue side to side freedom is more important than shin angle as you can always press into the tounge for shin angle no matter how tight u go. Eventually you will find the right combo. My left skate is a little loose use an extra red footbed there to get the same feeling as the right one. I have really flexible feet but havent tried other footbeds.

So what’s the point of the cuff roll video by True? Or maybe the better question is, if you do heat up the cuff roll and flare it out a bit, is there any harm in doing so assuming you’d simply need to tie the laces tighter to bring the cuff back in? 

Reading through a good portion of this thread, a lot of people mention making their own tweaks to get the skates dialed in specifically for them. Suppose I need to figure out what that is for me since I’m so used to traditional boots. Just trying to get to a good starting point and will go from there 

1 hour ago, Westside said:

So what’s the point of the cuff roll video by True? Or maybe the better question is, if you do heat up the cuff roll and flare it out a bit, is there any harm in doing so assuming you’d simply need to tie the laces tighter to bring the cuff back in? 

Reading through a good portion of this thread, a lot of people mention making their own tweaks to get the skates dialed in specifically for them. Suppose I need to figure out what that is for me since I’m so used to traditional boots. Just trying to get to a good starting point and will go from there 

I flared mine out a bit.  Too much and u lose some lock so it is a balancing act.  Ultimatley the longer you have them the better they get until they start breaking down. 

I'm just using longer laces. Don't have to remove the laces from the top eyelets. For me the pro tongue is much more comfy than the felt one and it gives a better lock of the heel and midfoot in my Tf7. 

6 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

I'm just using longer laces. Don't have to remove the laces from the top eyelets. For me the pro tongue is much more comfy than the felt one and it gives a better lock of the heel and midfoot in my Tf7. 

Cool maybe I will try a new toungue

15 hours ago, Westside said:

suggestions/advice? 

So I had/have the same issue and asked this question as well about the TF9. The eyelets seem to be so far back that once your foot is in you barely have any access to get your laces through. I didn't end up reheating anything as the fit was so damn good that was the last thing I wanted to mess with. I did swap out the retail tongue to True's Traditional felt tongue which did give me more access to get the skates laced up. I had planned on swapping the tongue  anyways since I'm really not a fan of anything but a traditional felt tongue. But ultimately what I did end up doing is lacing my skate up entirely before putting my foot in. Might sound stupid/weird but I did do it with my first pair of Custom Trues, I practiced a lot at home getting my foot into the skate and I can actually put my skate on with that slight twist/off angle approach with them fully laced up now. Also another thing I think that helps, not sure what you use for socks, but I use some of the Bauer skate socks and whatever the material is it's very thin and doesn't give any resistance when you're trying to slide your foot in.

1 hour ago, the_game said:

So I had/have the same issue and asked this question as well about the TF9. The eyelets seem to be so far back that once your foot is in you barely have any access to get your laces through. I didn't end up reheating anything as the fit was so damn good that was the last thing I wanted to mess with. I did swap out the retail tongue to True's Traditional felt tongue which did give me more access to get the skates laced up. I had planned on swapping the tongue  anyways since I'm really not a fan of anything but a traditional felt tongue. But ultimately what I did end up doing is lacing my skate up entirely before putting my foot in. Might sound stupid/weird but I did do it with my first pair of Custom Trues, I practiced a lot at home getting my foot into the skate and I can actually put my skate on with that slight twist/off angle approach with them fully laced up now. Also another thing I think that helps, not sure what you use for socks, but I use some of the Bauer skate socks and whatever the material is it's very thin and doesn't give any resistance when you're trying to slide your foot in.

Is this the tongue you went with? 
https://www.hockeyvancouver.ca/products/true-t-guard-felt-replacement-skate-tongues

I tried putting them on with only the top eyelet undone and it wasn’t happening regardless of how I twisted my foot. Had to undo both top eyelets. Would love to not have to do this at all as it’s not something I’ve needed to do with traditional skates 

10 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

How long of laces are you using? I swapped in 96” (on an 8R boot) as I didn’t want a foot of extra lace flopping about once they’re tied 

I don't remember exactly but must be 108'' or 120". You have to try. For my Supremes I was using 130'' for a size 6.5 skate. I have a high instep and forefoot and have to pull the tongue close to the toecap to get into the skates. When my foot is inside the skate I have no space to get a lace through the eylets, but I like the wrap. 

I threw on a pair of 108” laces I had lying around and I could loosen them up enough like you’re saying. The downside is I have a LOT of lace left over. I might try picking up a pair of unwaxed 96” laces with the hope I could stretch them a bit to achieve the same thing. Or worse case only have to leave the very top eyelet undone. That second eyelet seems to be the hardest one to get through. I’ve been sitting in my place taking my boots on and off. Never thought it would be so difficult to do. Lol!

96” waxed on the left, 108” unwaxed on the right 

2v2HzSZSnx1YqB.jpg

3 hours ago, Westside said:

I threw on a pair of 108” laces I had lying around and I could loosen them up enough like you’re saying. The downside is I have a LOT of lace left over. I might try picking up a pair of unwaxed 96” laces with the hope I could stretch them a bit to achieve the same thing. Or worse case only have to leave the very top eyelet undone. That second eyelet seems to be the hardest one to get through. I’ve been sitting in my place taking my boots on and off. Never thought it would be so difficult to do. Lol!

2v2HzSZSnx1YqB.jpg

Looks like once the tounges break in a bit more you should be able to bend them forward. I prefer unwaxed and dont mind the length I just double knot. The eyelets dont look as wrapped as I have seen with others so give it time as you wear them before trying the heat gun. 

8 hours ago, Westside said:

Is this the tongue you went with? 
https://www.hockeyvancouver.ca/products/true-t-guard-felt-replacement-skate-tongues

I tried putting them on with only the top eyelet undone and it wasn’t happening regardless of how I twisted my foot. Had to undo both top eyelets. Would love to not have to do this at all as it’s not something I’ve needed to do with traditional skates 

Very similar tongue except mine has no added ‘protection’ or whatever T guard that is.

4 hours ago, Westside said:

2v2HzSZSnx1YqB.jpg

Just take the laces arrive the back once and double knot if you need to, should take care of the extra length. 

I need some help.

I got True customs. I did not want the True Holders, and requested that they drill holes for TUUKS. 

While True is going to make the boots and send them, they are declining to drill for Bauer holders, and on top of that - they refuse to send me the True holders and step steel that I paid for. Apparently it is a “penalty” if you don’t opt to get their holders put on skate. While I don’t plan on using the holders or steel, it’s still something I paid for...

The drilling is not a big issue, I can have that done locally. I’d prefer to have them do it but I digress. Has anyone else had them tell you they won’t ship you holders as a penalty, or not offer a price adjustment? 

That’s crazy and a real bad look on True if that’s the case. 

Edited by Healthyscratch