Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

3 hours ago, PBH said:

TRUE does watch this forum. They might not comment but I assure you many reps keep an eye on here. However, if their policy is to not ship SHIFT steel/holders if you want other holders then I don't think there is anything to talk about.

I ordered another set of customs recently and TRUE had no issues with delivering them drilled for CCM XS holders. I dont see why they would have an issue shipping you a boot only order pre drilled for TUUK/XS holders. 

I would say if you can get what you want, a boot with the holder and steel you like, then that is a win.  Who cares about the cost, bauer or ccm custom will run about $1200 anyways.   I understand the OP not wanting to pay for steel you are not getting but consider that you are ordering something tailored that deviates from Trues standard manufacturing process, so you can look at it as the cost of doing business. If I were to speculate, there is likely a cost that True incours by shipping boot by proxy or by deviating from said manufacturing process on top of a minimum order they likely have to fill on the manufacturing side to have the margin make sense.  Price has to come down if there are fewer buyers to meet demand which will ultimatley eat into that margin and render it cost prohibative to even make steel and holders.  

Does Bauer or ccm shop skates with no holders or holders from other companies? Or drilled for other holders other then their own? I don't think so.... So why do ppl bitch about true not doing it either. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

My retailer tried to handle it - they got the same answer I did. It’s Trues “policy”. 

Regarding my situation. 

Initially, the retailer requested that the holders do not get attached to skate, but that they are shipped (along with steel) with the boots. Nothing was said about why, or TUUKS, or drilled holes. 

Retailer was told no, if the holders don’t leave the warehouse on the skate - they will not send the holders or steel. Company policy. 

Not a good look for True or their customer service.  

• Like 1

Pretty sure about 70% of the NHL is in a two piece Bauer skate.

CCMs best two poster-boys (McDavid and Mackinnon) are in two piece skates. 

This isn’t a generational thing either. Most rookies and younger guys are still wearing Bauer.

50 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

This isn’t a generational thing either. Most rookies and younger guys are still wearing Bauer.

Crosby too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Not sure I agree with that. I know Gear Geek states Bauer is 70% of the market, but there are some teams in the NHL that basically have only 1 or 2 guys using Bauer and the rest are CCM and TRUE. I doubt Gear Geek is keeping up to the minute tracking of such. If anything I would say it might be 50/50 Between Bauer vs CCM/TRUE.

Also, the technology for CCM to make two-piece boots will be phased out soon so they wont be able to offer anyone, even the best players like Crosby or McD two-piece skates. 

41 minutes ago, PBH said:

Not sure I agree with that. I know Gear Geek states Bauer is 70% of the market, but there are some teams in the NHL that basically have only 1 or 2 guys using Bauer and the rest are CCM and TRUE. I doubt Gear Geek is keeping up to the minute tracking of such. If anything I would say it might be 50/50 Between Bauer vs CCM/TRUE.

Also, the technology for CCM to make two-piece boots will be phased out soon so they wont be able to offer anyone, even the best players like Crosby or McD two-piece skates. 

Do you really believe that CCM is going to try to force McD out of his jetspeeds? They're gonna lose him to Bauer then, if that's what he likes...

19 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

My retailer tried to handle it - they got the same answer I did. It’s Trues “policy”. 

Regarding my situation. 

Initially, the retailer requested that the holders do not get attached to skate, but that they are shipped (along with steel) with the boots. Nothing was said about why, or TUUKS, or drilled holes. 

Retailer was told no, if the holders don’t leave the warehouse on the skate - they will not send the holders or steel. Company policy. 

I tried getting a hold of True for two weeks. True’s skate department is like a separate entity from the rest of the company - you can call customer service and they direct you to Trues skate warehouse because they can’t answer any questions about skates. 

Left multiple voicemails and never heard back. Decided to “dial 2” if you are a pro player - and ofcourse they picked right up. That is when I indicated that I wanted to put TUUKs on. It was a conversation about their skates and my issue in general - we did not pull up my specific order. 

At any rate, this conversation isn’t going anywhere. Was hoping there was a rep here who would see this and let me know that something is getting miscommunicated. However, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Some of the responses blow me away, as if I’m supposed to be okay with paying for something I’m not getting, because that’s Trues strategy to market their holders, get brand recognition, doesn’t matter to True because not enough people care etc. 

Its a great skate, it’s hands down the most comfortable skate I’ve ever tried. I would recommend it to anyone. The people behind it make me want to find another brand though. I’m not very keen on paying for products I’m not receiving - with no real explanation other than “it’s our policy”. 

Thanks for clarifying. This looks pretty bad on the part of True. I was a huge fan for a long time, but lately it's been iffy. Hope they realize that if being good to customers got them to where they are, they should probably keep it up if they want to keep going. 

I assume you don't want two sets of holes, but if you have them just attach the shifts and then have your shop swap them, you won't have two full sets of holes because there are a bunch of holes that do match up to the shifts, probably about 5 or so. If you're that concerned, you could fill the old holes with epoxy to seal them. At the very least, selling the shift holders and steel should cover the cost of a decent chunk of the swap. Depending on your financial situation it might be something to consider. 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Does Bauer or ccm shop skates with no holders or holders from other companies? Or drilled for other holders other then their own? I don't think so.... So why do ppl bitch about true not doing it either. 

Did they ever? No. But did True? Yes. 

49 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Do you really believe that CCM is going to try to force McD out of his jetspeeds? They're gonna lose him to Bauer then, if that's what he likes...

He could stock up like Marleau did on his decade and a half supply of 9k's.

1 hour ago, PBH said:

Which teams have the fewest in Bauer? I've noticed more and more True and CCM, but it still seems like a Bauer majority from the highlights I've been watching.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flip12 said:

Which teams have the fewest in Bauer? I've noticed more and more True and CCM, but it still seems like a Bauer majority from the highlights I've been watching.

Mcd in another brand would be cool to see. He will probably never switch to fts since he took a spill the first time he used them in game when he had the knee injury. 

12 hours ago, Miller55 said:

He will adopt the new JS, it will just take time. Kind of like how long it took CCM to get Crosby to move away from the 50k to the 70k. I imagine McD will end up in a pair of 100k skates dresses as the FT4. 

5 hours ago, PBH said:

He will adopt the new JS, it will just take time. Kind of like how long it took CCM to get Crosby to move away from the 50k to the 70k. I imagine McD will end up in a pair of 100k skates dresses as the FT4. 

I quite liked my 2015 jetspeeds, mounted them w tuuks and all.  

17 hours ago, flip12 said:

Mcd in another brand would be cool to see. He will probably never switch to fts since he took a spill the first time he used them in game when he had the knee injury. 

Speaking of trues, depth of my left heel pocket is getting deeper with use and time and its annoying.  Any quick fixes? It is the length of the pocket, side to side is fine just cant get the sucked in feeling like I had. 

2 hours ago, JD17 said:

Speaking of trues, depth of my left heel pocket is getting deeper with use and time and its annoying.  Any quick fixes? It is the length of the pocket, side to side is fine just cant get the sucked in feeling like I had. 

What footbed are you using?

11 minutes ago, JD17 said:

The stock setup

Just a thought, but could the heel in your insole have compressed? I find with squishier insoles that I get a lot of vertical heel play in my boots, especially after some use. Now I use stock Graf insoles with a simple firm foam in my MLX because I hated the gummy insoles they came with for precisely that reason. The firmer insoles don't mess with the feel of the boot nearly as much as the softer ones did.

Oh yea theyre totally destroyed from use and they smell terrible, haha

Where do I get the graf ones or similar, what do you suggest? 

6 hours ago, JD17 said:

Stable 26 socks with the neoprene inserts may work.

18 hours ago, PBH said:

Wait... so you think Crosby, the guy who won't get out of the EPRO holder... is actually wearing 80K skates now?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Stable 26 socks with the neoprene inserts may work.

Too much work, think the footbed from graf may work like Hills suggests. I tried comfort superfeet they worked for the stiffness and volume just need something of similar material and size but flatter, less bumpy if u will. Maybe graf or the low profile curex, I have super flat, flexible feet. 

I have flat feet, and used the cheap generic footbeds from Elite and really liked them. The right balance of volume and give. 

Elite Hockey, Ice Hockey Skate, Pro Insoles (Size Choice) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEEUGLE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GFCV8ZGAEPVZ9QHWPGVR

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer

Just now, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I have flat feet, and used the cheap generic footbeds from Elite and really liked them. The right balance of volume and give. 

Cool, thx will try.  I love cheap fixes. Did u keep the red bottoms in? Did u have issues with the heel pocket? 

5 hours ago, Hills said:

Wait... so you think Crosby, the guy who won't get out of the EPRO holder... is actually wearing 80K skates now?

I said 70k... and yes, he is. They aren't off the shelf retail 70k/80k skates, but they no longer have the pump.

As for why he refuses to change holders, at one time Dana mentioned that Crosby likes that the EPRO holders are lower to the ice, stiffer than others, and to him they feel lighter. He doesn't like the new generation of super tall steel nor the added weight that comes along with taller steel. 

sidney-crosby-of-the-pittsburgh-penguins

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

Just a thought, but could the heel in your insole have compressed? I find with squishier insoles that I get a lot of vertical heel play in my boots, especially after some use. Now I use stock Graf insoles with a simple firm foam in my MLX because I hated the gummy insoles they came with for precisely that reason. The firmer insoles don't mess with the feel of the boot nearly as much as the softer ones did.

This. That's why I like the speedplates. The stock foam insoles were too spongey for me. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JD17 said:

Cool, thx will try.  I love cheap fixes. Did u keep the red bottoms in? Did u have issues with the heel pocket? 

I didn't, i removed them, but i prefer a thin footbed and being right on top of the outsole and holder, and my foot has pretty high volume so negative space wasn't an issue

@JD17 I personally like the Graf ones, but I that's the brand I liked the best before trying Scott Van Horne's boots. The other suggestions, like Elite's insole by @Buzz_LightBeer, and SpeedPlates by @Sniper9 are good ones too. The Graf ones are a bit basic, where some of the more recent innovations in insoles are big hits with some users. Plus, @mtn noticed a downgrade in later Graf footbeds...

... so the basic foam ones you might find now might have the same problem, right off the bat.

To begin with, to test if the insoles are the main culprit, bring any old insoles you might have to your next skate and swap them in and out with the stock ones you've been using. If you have something else that eliminates most of the play in your heel lock, you're good to go with a solid alternative until you find something ideal.

I don't have experience with aftermarket outsoles, and just happen to have a massive stash from collecting a crazy amount of skates over the last few years.

I hope this is the right direction to fix your problem. It just sounds similar to what I experienced with the MLX outsoles, and I was amazed at how much of an effect it had on my skating. The same with the stock MLX tongue. Those elements have changed iteratively over the last 10 years, but they still seem to resemble the ones I have in their basic properties and they're properties that don't align with my preferences: insoles too spongey and tongues too stiff. Luckily, they're rather easily changed and the problems solved, if one knows where to look.