Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

1 hour ago, Janook said:

Just did a measurement. Hard to tell of course but seems like the 7.5 is longer than the 7.

Also, after today's 2 hour skate, the excess foam/padding ridge in the 7.5 is totally unnoticeable. 

You would have measure that 7.5 against a size 8.

For people looking for sizing info, I have narrow feet and usually wear Bauer Vapor x2.9 R size 7, or Mission D size 8.  All my skates are roller, not ice, though I don't think that matters for fit.

I tried both True TF9 size 7 and 7.5. The size 7 fit as a very snug performance fit with toes touching the front, but I play recreationally for multiple hours and prefer a little room in my toebox for comfort. The 7.5 fits perfectly for me.

The in-box instructions say to bake at 180 for 6 minutes; I ended up doing 10 minutes on each skate (after checking the boot softness every minute). I used the saran-wrap method at home to get a good wrap.

There is some weird cushioning in the toebox of the 7.5 which I stopped noticing after my first skate.

Notably the heel area is fantastic. Heel is locked in & I'm not getting the usual raw discomfort/blistering around the Bauer Bump area that my Vapors used to give me. I am particularly impressed by the heel lock and comfort, given my narrow heel.

The skates are very difficult to get into and out of, but once they're on, they feel great. I'm hoping my feet just get used to this.

The included "Custom arch system" feels crummy. I have high arches and tried using the included inserts but found them uncomfortable and tossed em after my first skate. The stock insoles are fine.

As I break in the skates, I am hoping they do not open up since the fit is just right; time will tell.

Edited by Janook

17 minutes ago, Janook said:

For people looking for sizing info, I have narrow feet and usually wear Bauer Vapor x2.9 R size 7, or Mission D size 8.  All my skates are roller, not ice, though I don't think that matters for fit.

I tried both True TF9 size 7 and 7.5. The size 7 fit as a very snug performance fit with toes touching the front, but I play recreationally for multiple hours and prefer a little room in my toebox for comfort. The 7.5 fits perfectly for me.

The in-box instructions say to bake at 180 for 6 minutes; I ended up doing 10 minutes on each skate (after checking the boot softness every minute). I used the saran-wrap method at home to get a good wrap.

There is some weird cushioning in the toebox of the 7.5 which I stopped noticing after my first skate.

Notably the heel area is fantastic. Heel is locked in & I'm not getting the usual raw discomfort/blistering around the Bauer Bump area that my Vapors used to give me. I am particularly impressed by the heel lock and comfort, given my narrow heel.

The skates are very difficult to get into and out of, but once they're on, they feel great. I'm hoping my feet just get used to this.

The included "Custom arch system" feels crummy. I have high arches and tried using the included inserts but found them uncomfortable and tossed em after my first skate. The stock insoles are fine.

As I break in the skates, I am hoping they do not open up since the fit is just right; time will tell.

Strange that you wear a FULL size difference in Bauer skates. Especially with the Vapor being the smaller of the two. Am I the only one that finds that odd? I can get away with going down a 1/2 size down in Supreme vs what I wear in Vapor due to the additional volume in the boot, but not the other way around.

When you say the 7 was very snug, were you referring to pre-baking? That's how they're supposed to be. Once you bake them they should open up and mold perfectly to your foot. If you went up 1/2 a size because they felt better before baking, they're likely going to be too large on you after they're baked. Obviously everyone's feet are different but I went down a half size with the TF9s from what I wear in Vapors and they fit perfect after baking. You seem to have done the opposite. 

Getting the Trues on was the most difficult part (for me) compared to a traditional hockey boot. I had to undo the top one to two eyelets, push the tongue out, then do the twist thing to get my foot in. Definitely took practice not only to get my foot in, but also to lace those top eyelets once my foot was in the boot because the ankle wrap is so tight

• Like 1

All my sizing notes were post-bake. So I went from Bauer Vapor 7 to True 7.5 However, I was intentionally looking for a fit with a little more room in the toebox, so I also went from "brushing the toebox" to "tiny gap in the toebox".

Edited by Janook

The Mission vs Vapor sizing difference is odd unless you have old Mission skates made before 2009. Post 2009 Missions use the Supreme last which should be the same length as Vapors, but wider and deeper. 

Whatever True size you try, use them as much as possible over the next few weeks in case the sizing does change after break in and you have to use the 30 day guarantee. Do your toes brush after baking the 7.5s?

Two days ago my TF7 7.0R rolllerskates arrived. Due to wet weather i couldn´t try them outdoor, just rolling around on the parquet floor in my apartment.

I have TF7 6.5R iceskates which are a breath too short and too tight in the toe area for me. Exchanging the felt-tongue for a pro-tongue and heatmoulding the skates with paddings on my big- and my small toe made them work for me, but they should not be a millimeter shorter. I do not know why, but the pro tongue gave me a few millimeters more length.

Because I wanted a little more space in the toebox I decided to buy the 7.0R rollerskates, and that`s how they are feeling like at the moment. However, I would not exclude that they are a touch too long after breaking them in. So it could be that my ideal size would be 6.75R.

The 6.5 boot has the "ToeboxLip" and the naked plastic of the toebox above, and the 7.0 boot has the end of the toebox covered with foam completely. The 7.0 boot is about 5-7mm longer than the 6.5 boot(outside, very difficult to measure). On the bottom of the sideparts I can find some small codes printed, a part of it is the "size 6" on the 6.5 boot and "size7" on the 7.0 boot. If only the padding makes the difference of the sizes, the 7.0 and the 7.5 or the 6.5 and the 7.0 should have the same length. Maybe the boots are full-sized and they combine them with different toeboxes, not only different paddings to create half sizes? Or the boots are half sized and they cut off a part of the boot to create a full size? Or they combine a full sized boot with the next bigger full sized toecap(size 6 boot with size 7 toecap = size 6.5 skate) to create a half size? Only True knows.

Edited by hockeydad3
  • Like 1

Does anyone have info on the size and/or type of screw that is used to keep the tendon guards in place on the True TF9?

I don't use my tongues for leverage to get my skates off but still had one of the screws break.

Well I am now on my 4th month of of custom True skates.  I typically play 3-4 times a week lately and I have played in 2 tournaments in this time period.  I love these skates.  I'm not a very good player, but these have made me a better skater all around.  I can actually feel my edges and my "speed" has improved.  But most importantly, my feet never hurt when I'm done skating.  

One of the tournaments (3v3) I was in had games with an hour break between them so I never took my skates off.  My first game was at 8am and the last was at 6pm. My feet felt great. 

• Like 6

Not sure if this question has ever been asked, but don't feel like sifting through hundred of pages to find it.

How are the latest True customs compared to the 1st gen True customs?  I mean in terms of feel, comfort, performance...not cosmetics or new features (like tendon guard and shift holder)

Quick question for the brain trust. I have step/VH holders with the true heel cup.  If I’m switching to XS holders, I remove the heel cup right? That helps with equalizing the pitch right?

2 hours ago, jgold47 said:

Quick question for the brain trust. I have step/VH holders with the true heel cup.  If I’m switching to XS holders, I remove the heel cup right? That helps with equalizing the pitch right?

Yes. 

On 4/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Not sure if this question has ever been asked, but don't feel like sifting through hundred of pages to find it.

How are the latest True customs compared to the 1st gen True customs?  I mean in terms of feel, comfort, performance...not cosmetics or new features (like tendon guard and shift holder)

They feel the same but lighter. 

On 4/5/2021 at 5:37 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Agree that they're lighter, but still heavy.  I am on the fence as to whether or not to try them, but the display skate that I saw at one of the Pure Hockey stores had what looked like many micro fissures on the heel.  

4 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Agree that they're lighter, but still heavy.  I am on the fence as to whether or not to try them, but the display skate that I saw at one of the Pure Hockey stores had what looked like many micro fissures on the heel.  

Heavy? They weigh less than Vapor Hyperlite skates and the FT4 Pro. My TRUE skates weigh only 807 grams per skate with steel. 

Edited by PBH

I don’t think any top end skate today qualifies as heavy. We’re in the light and lighter era. Whenever I switch between Grafs and MLX in the same session, it’s night and day in weight perception.

Cases in point: 

1. Grafs were light before the Vaporization of hockey skates.

2. MLX are unnecessarily weighty due to the MacGyver TM holder attachment system.

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

Semantics...my point is they're heavier than other top end skates and the finish is sloppier.  

FT2 weighs 866 grams, 2X Pro weighs 860 grams, the TF9 weighs 904 grams.  So yeah, heavier, but by only 50-ish grams. That weight could be different depending on tongues, holders, and runners used. 

I’m surprised at the high quality of the TF9s compared to what I’d seen from True in the past. This coming from a guy who’s skated Bauer’s for the last decade and CCMs for the decade+ before that 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Semantics...my point is they're heavier than other top end skates and the finish is sloppier.  

I guess I don't care as much about the finish of the structural integrity of the skate is good.

I've never had any issues with TRUE personally, but I understand if you feel the fit and finish is not as good as other skates that cost the same price but aren't custom. 

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah. If you should try them. 

Do you need custom skates? Is there something wrong with your feet or do you struggle to find skates that fit you? I only advise people who NEED custom skates to get custom skates. Otherwise, it's a waste of money. 

Edited by PBH
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, PBH said:

I guess I don't care as much about the finish of the structural integrity of the skate is good.

I've never had any issues with TRUE personally, but I understand if you feel the fit and finish is not as good as other skates that cost the same price but aren't custom. 

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah. If you should try them. 

Do you need custom skates? Is there something wrong with your feet or do you struggle to find skates that fit you? I only advise people who NEED custom skates to get custom skates. Otherwise, it's a waste of money. 

Is it really a waste of money? BTM sells true customs for $950 USD. That's the same price as retail 2x pros, and probably cheaper than the hyperlite will be. Obviously if you don't need customs then there's no reason not to save 300 bucks and get tf9s, but customs aren't extensive compared to any other top of the line skate.

6 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Is it really a waste of money? BTM sells true customs for $950 USD. That's the same price as retail 2x pros, and probably cheaper than the hyperlite will be. Obviously if you don't need customs then there's no reason not to save 300 bucks and get tf9s, but customs aren't extensive compared to any other top of the line skate.

If you dont need a custom skate you are better off saving that money. Not to mention you have the TRUE 30-day satisfaction guarantee so if you do buy them and dislike the skate for any reason you can return it. Thats not possible with customs.

The build of most brands custom skates is basically the same as the retail model too. So it's not like they are getting anything significantly better. I would say CCM is the only company that has some significant available options for their customs as compared to retail models. 

I prefer to not put anyone in a custom skate unless they need to be in one. Thats for all brands, not just TRUE. I like customers having peace of mind if they buy a skate and its the wrong fit for them or too soft/stiff, they can return. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PBH said:

If you dont need a custom skate you are better off saving that money. Not to mention you have the TRUE 30-day satisfaction guarantee so if you do buy them and dislike the skate for any reason you can return it. Thats not possible with customs.

The build of most brands custom skates is basically the same as the retail model too. So it's not like they are getting anything significantly better. I would say CCM is the only company that has some significant available options for their customs as compared to retail models. 

I prefer to not put anyone in a custom skate unless they need to be in one. Thats for all brands, not just TRUE. I like customers having peace of mind if they buy a skate and its the wrong fit for them or too soft/stiff, they can return. 

I hear what you're saying. If I had the money and knew that I was ok with a certain skate from using either a previous gen custom or a retail version, I still think I would go custom if it afforded me either more comfort or more options for details, like CCM and Graf seem to still offer. I agree though, there would have to be done reason to go custom, whether for fit or for additional options (like increased our reduced stiffness, etc).

• Like 1

has anyone been able to buy more fit inserts?  My VH skates came with fit inserts but my Trues did not

Edited by iceman8310

2 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

has anyone been able to buy more fit inserts?  My VH skates came with fit inserts but my Trues did not

Custom skates?  If so, why?  Using retail fit stock I had my MyBauer Ultrasonics made so that I have zero negative space in either boot. That's my reluctance in getting a set of True's, fearing that they'll be made too big.

Sorry for long post 

Hi guys. I’ve read the entire 252 page post (I need a hobby). But I really am excited for these. 

i previously have worn Bauer total ones and these awful nexus skates (havok or something). Basically I didn’t do my research. I didn’t play for 6 years due to life and previous injuries playing so my total ones no longer fit and were badly damaged. I wanted a mid to high tier skate that’s full composite. Nothing fit. Period. The nexus EE ones I got were the only ones that didn’t crush by my pinky toes in the forefoot and along the outside edge of my foot. Little did I know how bad these were going to be. 

I was told they were heat mouldable and would be good when they broke in. I had them punched more in the trouble area. I basically have to have them loose in that area crank them at the top. My heels don’t lock. No lace locks, powefoot, stable 26 socks, tape, super feet, lace bite guards and ankle supports can ever get my heel to stop lifting and my ankle shifting. I have to retie them after every shift. The store I got them from refused to do anything about it than sell some crappy solutions and mould them 2 more times to no avail. There is no padding above the heel and ankle. It’s basically flat. I’m pretty certain you shouldn’t be able to squish the boot with your hands, my total ones didn’t do that. I can’t turn. Can’t crossover. Have zero edge control. Nothing is working. 

Finally went to a good shop and they said they have zero idea how I’m even skating on these. They are such a low end boot they’re shocked I haven’t broken my foot Or ankle. No amount of heat moulding makes these useable. For a Sunday skate maybe… I was floored. They were like $500. Once again. Nothing retail fits my duck feet. Tiny heel huge wide forefoot. They sadly didn’t offer true so I went to pro hockey. I realize I have no hope to ever skate again without custom skates. As a kid 6-15 playing hockey I remember pain but nothing like these nexus skates. 

So I went to pro hockey and got scanned on the 23rd of JUNE. Just got I think the TF Pro tongue, shift holder with step steel, clarino liner, embroidery and just the black accents. Very standard. They told me usually 2-5 weeks. Sweet. Soon my issues will be solved! My summer league had started but I know the end is near for my feet. 

It is now august 13 and I still have not received them. I have been in contact with the shop (it is not at all their fault) and they have not been able to get a response to why I don’t have the skates yet. On their end they have sent and true has got the scans and stuff. 3 managers I’ve talked to are stunned and honestly confused. I am still attempting to use my old skates but they are ruining my ankles. The pain is so bad on my left one after playing it hurts for days. I was so desperate last week I almost went and bought another pair of something retail used that’s not these it’s that bad. I had to stop myself and be like NO you just spent 1200 on skates. I don’t think I’ll even play until I get them. And it’s been almost a year because of covid. All ready dropped out of the drop in league I was in from the pain and being basically unable to skate

Does anyone know what is going on? Has anyone else experienced  this kind of delay? 

I haven't bought custom Trues, but I do know that True has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on the TF9s and TF7s. You could buy wide and see if those will work for you. You can use them for a couple of weeks anyway - if your customs come in then you can just return them for a full refund. If somehow your custom order wasn't processed properly then perhaps you can get a refund on that if the TF7s or TF9s in W work for you feet (they're fairly wide in the forefoot, but still provide good heel lock...they aren't Nexus EE wide though).