Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

2 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Just a suggestion before you give up:

-take the super feet out (they could just exacerbate the problem).  Take the red insoles out and just use the blues.  Wear super thin socks and have them rebake the skates.  Have them bake them good (I mean the boot should be soft, not just warm) and then have them put on your feet and laced up about 90%.  Tie them like you would when skating, so if you keep the bottom laces loose, top laces tight/loose, etc. and tie to top outlet.  Do not Saran Wrap this time and do not have them mold it by hand either.  Just sit there and let your feet do the work.  Then after baking, don't skate on them for 48 hours.  Finally, change out the laces with waxed laces.  PHL should do the re-bake for no charge, and the most this would cost you is a new pair of waxed laces.

It's very possible, from what you're describing, that they are wrapped too much around your foot and causing a bit too much friction/not enough give in spots.  Switching to waxed is so your wrap stays in place, when you "loosen up" the current wrap.

Hi thanks so much. I did get them reheated today. Tied up normally and the owner even came out and helped. He pulled the eyelets away from my foot too as it was crushing my ankle.  I had to pay because it’s too far to drive every day to get them fixed. 

first thing I did was put waxed laces on so that’s good. 

I did take the red insole out and skate with just the blue and the pain was unreal. Super feet made it slightly better. 

id this doesn’t work I am going back to PHL next week because man. This is brutal. My skating hasn’t improved enough nor is the comfort worth the price I paid. 

can you spot heat the arches and push it or will that cause damage? The pro shop owner here said don’t do that or punch them. 

35 minutes ago, Tucker16 said:

Hi thanks so much. I did get them reheated today. Tied up normally and the owner even came out and helped. He pulled the eyelets away from my foot too as it was crushing my ankle.  I had to pay because it’s too far to drive every day to get them fixed. 

first thing I did was put waxed laces on so that’s good. 

I did take the red insole out and skate with just the blue and the pain was unreal. Super feet made it slightly better. 

id this doesn’t work I am going back to PHL next week because man. This is brutal. My skating hasn’t improved enough nor is the comfort worth the price I paid. 

can you spot heat the arches and push it or will that cause damage? The pro shop owner here said don’t do that or punch them. 

Personally, I would not punch the arch of the True boot.  It's a one piece and you could risk cracking them at the arch.  Plus, if the arch is that off that your feet are killing you, a spot punch isn't going to really do much.  Punches are really meant for small hotspots.  Does the arch pain feel like someone is stretching the arch to the point where it feels like its a strained/pulled tendon (pain over the length of the arch)?  Or does it feel like someone is jabbing you in the arch (pain in a very specific point of the arch)?  If it's the latter, that's solvable.  If the former, I think you'll have a hard time getting these to work with you as they are currently constructed.  True should allow you to make a one time rebuild (after you LHS has exhausted all fit solutions), so you could go down that avenue as well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Personally, I would not punch the arch of the True boot.  It's a one piece and you could risk cracking them at the arch.  Plus, if the arch is that off that your feet are killing you, a spot punch isn't going to really do much.  Punches are really meant for small hotspots.  Does the arch pain feel like someone is stretching the arch to the point where it feels like its a strained/pulled tendon (pain over the length of the arch)?  Or does it feel like someone is jabbing you in the arch (pain in a very specific point of the arch)?  If it's the latter, that's solvable.  If the former, I think you'll have a hard time getting these to work with you as they are currently constructed.  True should allow you to make a one time rebuild (after you LHS has exhausted all fit solutions), so you could go down that avenue as well.

It’s a certain spot is pushing. It’s just bruising the part of my arch like a lump that shouldn’t be there.  

46 minutes ago, Tucker16 said:

It’s a certain spot is pushing. It’s just bruising the part of my arch like a lump that shouldn’t be there.  

Where on the arch? Under the foot or on the side? If it's on the side you can punch it. If it's under the arch then it's either pressure and or you foot is moving in the boot and sliding ove a pressure point. What you could try is getting an old footbed and cut the arch out of it, now fit that to the skate and see if it makes a difference. If it does it proves the arch is pushing into your foot and needs to be reshaped. If you don't have an old footbed you could use gel pads cut to shape or even layers of hard cardboard, all you are trying to do is elevate your foot in relation to the arch in the boot.

The next thing I would get you to try is to cut 2' off an old lace and then use this to lace the bottom 4 eyelets only. Do them up like this (your forefoot is locked in place so the boot should not fall off) and then go for some slow easy laps around the rink. If your feet don't hurt it proves the boot is reshaping your foot as you lace fully up..

• Like 1

Have you added the waxed laces after you had issues? Or before? My skates fit so well I haven’t needed them, in fact I think getting them would just make them uncomfortable. 

there’s also a possibility that it was a bad scan, or something operationally that caused issues. Was the person doing the scanning experienced in the process ? 

2 hours ago, Stewie said:

Have you added the waxed laces after you had issues? Or before? My skates fit so well I haven’t needed them, in fact I think getting them would just make them uncomfortable. 

there’s also a possibility that it was a bad scan, or something operationally that caused issues. Was the person doing the scanning experienced in the process ? 

I always use wax laces. I just never have used anything different. How would this make them not work properly out of curiosity? 

and the scanners did very well. I don’t feel it was an issue there. I went back to PHL and they can’t find any glaring issues. The super feet should have fixed it they said. I’m taking a week off in case my feet got a bit swollen and sore from the pushing (it hurts in the spot) and let them sit for a while before trying again. I’m just stunned. These are full custom… I don’t understand these issues. It shouldn’t be happening. The fact I even needed other insoles and 2 moulds and multiple fixes is shocking and very disappointing. 

I may call true next week if this problem persists.  

33 minutes ago, Tucker16 said:

I always use wax laces. I just never have used anything different. How would this make them not work properly out of curiosity? 

and the scanners did very well. I don’t feel it was an issue there. I went back to PHL and they can’t find any glaring issues. The super feet should have fixed it they said. I’m taking a week off in case my feet got a bit swollen and sore from the pushing (it hurts in the spot) and let them sit for a while before trying again. I’m just stunned. These are full custom… I don’t understand these issues. It shouldn’t be happening. The fact I even needed other insoles and 2 moulds and multiple fixes is shocking and very disappointing. 

In theory wax laces should not slip once you have tied them up. If you are tying them loose across the middle then they should say that way instead of slipping and increasing the pressure through the middle (and therefore increasing the boot pressure around the arch area). imho wax laces are just a crock, if you need them to skate then you have other issues going on.

There is a saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Why do you think a week of rest is going to fix the problem? Pain is from either rubbing and or a pressure point, whoever from PHL said superfeet should fix it is sadly misinformed. How does putting an enhanced arch footbed into a boot where the arch is already pushing into your foot going to fix the problem?

If you want to fix this problem you need to first find out what is causing it. And very often it isn't just one thing, it can be a number of things that need adjustment until the boot works. Again, where is the pain / blister, the side of the arch or underneath the foot? This is why I suggested you try to lift your foot in relation to the arch in the boot, if this helps then it specifically points to the shape / height of the arch and now you can start to do something to fix it, either with PHL and or True. By all means call True or go back to PHL but how do you expect anyone to fix it when they don't know what the cause is? You need to figure it out, then you can get it fixed. As to full customs, welcome to the club where the boot isn't perfect, **it happens.  

1 minute ago, Vet88 said:

In theory wax laces should not slip once you have tied them up. If you are tying them loose across the middle then they should say that way instead of slipping and increasing the pressure through the middle (and therefore increasing the boot pressure around the arch area). imho wax laces are just a crock, if you need them to skate then you have other issues going on.

There is a saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Why do you think a week of rest is going to fix the problem? Pain is from either rubbing and or a pressure point, whoever from PHL said superfeet should fix it is sadly misinformed. How does putting an enhanced arch footbed into a boot where the arch is already pushing into your foot going to fix the problem?

If you want to fix this problem you need to first find out what is causing it. And very often it isn't just one thing, it can be a number of things that need adjustment until the boot works. Again, where is the pain / blister, the side of the arch or underneath the foot? This is why I suggested you try to lift your foot in relation to the arch in the boot, if this helps then it specifically points to the shape / height of the arch and now you can start to do something to fix it, either with PHL and or True. By all means call True or go back to PHL but how do you expect anyone to fix it when they don't know what the cause is? You need to figure it out, then you can get it fixed. As to full customs, welcome to the club where the boot isn't perfect, **it happens.  

Okay I’ll put the stock laces back and try again

it is on the sides. Pushes the second i put my full weight down  while skating. They feel fine when seated. Second you put pressure on them jt feels like a ball pushing on the arch it’s not on the bottom of the skate. I have limited ice time here so experimenting is challenging. I basically change one or two things every session. 

first and second skate it was straight from the box

third Was removing the red footbed

fourth was super feet and the stretching out the eyelets 

fifth was undoing the top eyelet 

sixth was remoulding them with super feet (haven’t skates yet) 

18 minutes ago, Tucker16 said:

it is on the sides. Pushes the second i put my full weight down  while skating. They feel fine when seated. Second you put pressure on them jt feels like a ball pushing on the arch it’s not on the bottom of the skate. I have limited ice time here so experimenting is challenging. I basically change one or two things every session. 

As it is on the side I would take a guess the boot is too narrow across your arch.  I'd put lipstick on your foot where it is sore and then put your foot into the boot and stand up. The lipstick will transfer to the boot at the spot where it is pushing into your foot. Now go back to PHL and tell them you want it punched / flattened / pushed out where the lipstick mark is.

Unless the boot remolded where it is pushing into your foot when it was last baked with the superfeet in it then you will still have the problem. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

As it is on the side I would take a guess the boot is too narrow across your arch.  I'd put lipstick on your foot where it is sore and then put your foot into the boot and stand up. The lipstick will transfer to the boot at the spot where it is pushing into your foot. Now go back to PHL and tell them you want it punched / flattened / pushed out where the lipstick mark is.

Unless the boot remolded where it is pushing into your foot when it was last baked with the superfeet in it then you will still have the problem. 

Thanks that’s a great idea. I will do that!!!

Or maybe they have been tied too tight while baking and changed the fit of the arch. Could simple rebaking change this? 

One insole of my TF7 had a thickening at the edge in the arch area, filing it flat was the solution for me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Or maybe they have been tied too tight while baking and changed the fit of the arch. Could simple rebaking change this? 

One insole of my TF7 had a thickening at the edge in the arch area, filing it flat was the solution for me. 

While I didn't have pain in the arch, I did feel pressure on the instep because of my somewhat flat feet. I modified the red inserts like in the video. But I also noticed that the insoles had a bit of a built-in arch or instep. I sanded that down to end up with a relatively flat insole. It made them feel much better. If you don't want to sand down the arches, you could try replacing them with Elite Hockey insoles which have no arch and are very inexpensive.

6 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

This worked for me in the past but if all fails, the initial scan could be inaccurate. Also, if your stance was off it will definitely affect your scan. When I had my first pair made my right boot had no arch which made that boot feel sloppy.  This is bc my right foot pronates in a lunge position due to my knee buckling in. Second pair I got made I consciously aligned my knees over my toes during the scan which prevented over pronation which led to a boot that had the proper arch. 

Personally, I prefer Bauer speedplates as they conform exact to the bottom of your feet and arch. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

Anyone with Haglund's Deformity (Bauer Bumps) use Trues?  Either custom or stock?  If custom, did they shape the carbon heel piece to accommodate your bumps?  If stock, were you able to form the boot or carbon heel section around your bump?  I've found in most skates I have to get an area of the heel punched out a bit for my bumps to sit in and so I get more contact area between my heel and the back of the boot to minimize heel slippage. A few years back I tried Makos but found the carbon heel wasn't moldable and I couldn't get my heel to sit tightly in the boot.  

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, krisdrum said:

Anyone with Haglund's Deformity (Bauer Bumps) use Trues?  Either custom or stock?  If custom, did they shape the carbon heel piece to accommodate your bumps?  If stock, were you able to form the boot or carbon heel section around your bump?  I've found in most skates I have to get an area of the heel punched out a bit for my bumps to sit in and so I get more contact area between my heel and the back of the boot to minimize heel slippage. A few years back I tried Makos but found the carbon heel wasn't moldable and I couldn't get my heel to sit tightly in the boot.  

I am curious about this as well.  Is the carbon heel, arch, etc, all custom made for the foot, or is i that piece the same across all of their custom skates?  While I don't have Haglunds, I do have an accessory navicular that rubs in some skates.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:21 PM, JimmyTheDriver said:

I am curious about this as well.  Is the carbon heel, arch, etc, all custom made for the foot, or is i that piece the same across all of their custom skates?  While I don't have Haglunds, I do have an accessory navicular that rubs in some skates.

Not exactly what you are asking, but I have an accessory navicular, and no issues with the TF7s I got two weeks ago. Feels like my foot is firmly tight in the skate, but no undue pressure on my navicular. Was definitely some pressure before baking, but they are great post-bake. I didn’t have to punch them or anything. 

On 9/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, krisdrum said:

According to this video at 2:18, he states that they "add spots" when they build the mold. I know they did that to the sides of the carbon toecaps on my first VH skates 7-8 years ago to accomodate for some bumps on my big toes. I assume they do something similar for the heel.

On 9/2/2021 at 3:33 PM, Tucker16 said:

After 5 skates:

i am NOT happy at all

-these don’t feel custom. Extreme pain pushing on my arch so bad I can’t skate more then 5 min. 
-feet going numb but if I loosen then they almost  fall off. 
-very bad pain up the sides of my ankles towards my shin

after skate 4, I went back to PHL and they sold me on new super feet and he pulled the eyelets out. He said the super feet should stop the arch pain and the eyelets the numbness

skate number 5 and the numbness is just replaced by pain in the arch and the leg pain. It’s so severe I can’t skate. Even my awful nexus skates didn’t do this. I still have little confidence in turning or going   Fast due to the pain and when I loosen Then it’s just like my nexus’s. 
they said go one eyelet down. It was even worse 

I don’t even know where to go now. I’m going to go to my local shop instead of driving over an hour again today to spend more. $1300 and counting now. 

What are you using for socks?

Has anyone gotten True to advance the medial facing like Bauer’s asymmetrical quarter? I’m going on year 3 with my customs and that area has worn so badly that it’s causing severe damage that keeps me off ice for weeks at a time. I requested this with my initial order (along with a couple other requests) and it was ignored. The only thing they did to accommodate me was creating a notch where I have a small bunion. I love my Trues as they’re as close to Mako as you can get, but I’m weary to buy again just to have recurring issues. 

Update: went to my local shop and he widened around the ankle and re moulded them with super feet insoles. I went to thicker socks and things are great. No more pain. No more numbness no more pushing

still undecided on the forward pitch. Not sure if I like it but I didn’t notice it today. Sometimes it just feels off but I’m going to give it another month or so and more full games and not stick and puck. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 12:00 AM, Tucker16 said:

Shouldn't use wax laces

I don't understand the dislike for wax laces on Trues.  I get that the wrap is so good that you don't really need to tie laces tight, but I use waxed laces on my Trues, cause I want the pressure of the lace up very specific and I don't want that to change during a session on the ice.  I also hate when my laces come undone, which is less likely with waxed.  Even though I tie pretty loosely, I still prefer waxed.  I would discourage those who use waxed though in order to crank their laces to make up for deficient fit.  Just mho.  EDIT: Waxed laces also help to repel water, so you don't have soggy laces, particularly after skating on wet or soft ice.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I don't understand the dislike for wax laces on Trues.  I get that the wrap is so good that you don't really need to tie laces tight, but I use waxed laces on my Trues, cause I want the pressure of the lace up very specific and I don't want that to change during a session on the ice.  I also hate when my laces come undone, which is less likely with waxed.  Even though I tie pretty loosely, I still prefer waxed.  I would discourage those who use waxed though in order to crank their laces to make up for deficient fit.  Just mho.

I'm with you. Been using waxed laces forever and still do for my trues. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I don't understand the dislike for wax laces on Trues.  I get that the wrap is so good that you don't really need to tie laces tight, but I use waxed laces on my Trues, cause I want the pressure of the lace up very specific and I don't want that to change during a session on the ice.  I also hate when my laces come undone, which is less likely with waxed.  Even though I tie pretty loosely, I still prefer waxed.  I would discourage those who use waxed though in order to crank their laces to make up for deficient fit.  Just mho.

In my case, the wrap is so tight that threading the laces through at the top caused all the wax to flake off and get everywhere. I went back to normal laces and realized I didn't need waxed ones anymore.

3 hours ago, dasuchin said:

In my case, the wrap is so tight that threading the laces through at the top caused all the wax to flake off and get everywhere. I went back to normal laces and realized I didn't need waxed ones anymore.

Bake with traditional. Then swap with waxed laces. Baking the waxed lace will cause the flaking. Never had issues with flaking for me unless it's been baked with the skates.