Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

5 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Bake with traditional. Then swap with waxed laces. Baking the waxed lace will cause the flaking. Never had issues with flaking for me unless it's been baked with the skates. 

I got them baked with the stock non-waxed laces and then swapped to waxed after. Still got the flaking from threading them through.

1 hour ago, dasuchin said:

I got them baked with the stock non-waxed laces and then swapped to waxed after. Still got the flaking from threading them through.

Some brands are better than others.  I use Elite brand and never had the wax come off.  But I have seen other brands become a cracking wax mess after short use.

I just have to learn how little pressure you have to apply when lacing. A bit snug anything more then snug hurts. The top one I tie tight. Still kinda wish the heel lock on the left was a bit better but otherwise im Happy. 

Beautiful things about Trues (and I assume customs in general), is that you don't really need to tie tight at all.  Not often, but every once in a while a lace will come loose during a shift (usually after some kind of contact), and I'll know the laces are loose, but can still skate in them and finish the shift with little detriment cause the fit is so good.  I'll then tie them again upon returning to the bench.  In the past, with stock skates, I would have to get a change immediately.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Some brands are better than others.  I use Elite brand and never had the wax come off.  But I have seen other brands become a cracking wax mess after short use.

Ya elite is good. Howie's will eventually flakes and become pretty mich like unwaxed, but then again Howie's waxed laces aren't as drenched in wax like elite laces are lol. Honestly, I like waxed laces mainly bc I like the flatter crisp look vs poofy unwaxed. I have to say it's a pita unlacing fresh waxed laces on trues. 

17 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Ya elite is good. Howie's will eventually flakes and become pretty mich like unwaxed, but then again Howie's waxed laces aren't as drenched in wax like elite laces are lol. Honestly, I like waxed laces mainly bc I like the flatter crisp look vs poofy unwaxed. I have to say it's a pita unlacing fresh waxed laces on trues. 

Thats why I like the Howies thin unwaxed laces.

17 hours ago, PBH said:

Thats why I like the Howies thin unwaxed laces.

Are they actually advertised as thin or is that just how they are. 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:34 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I don't understand the dislike for wax laces on Trues.  I get that the wrap is so good that you don't really need to tie laces tight, but I use waxed laces on my Trues, cause I want the pressure of the lace up very specific and I don't want that to change during a session on the ice.  I also hate when my laces come undone, which is less likely with waxed.  Even though I tie pretty loosely, I still prefer waxed.  I would discourage those who use waxed though in order to crank their laces to make up for deficient fit.  Just mho.  EDIT: Waxed laces also help to repel water, so you don't have soggy laces, particularly after skating on wet or soft ice.

If a skates fits someone properly and it’s the correct skates for them, waxed laces shouldn have to be used.  The skate can’t always flex with waxed and as a result eyelits pop and the skate breaks down faster 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iceman8310 said:

If a skates fits someone properly and it’s the correct skates for them, waxed laces shouldn have to be used.  The skate can’t always flex with waxed and as a result eyelits pop and the skate breaks down faster 

There is no evidence that I am aware of that waxed laces are more prone to causing damage to skates than unwaxed.  If anything, though it's assumption on my part, unwaxed would cause more wear and tear on a skate because some might pull tighter on them to get a good fit, stressing the eyelets, and that they need to be re-tied more often over the life of a boot.

Regardless, we're going off topic.  If we want to continue this discussion, we should break this out into a thread about waxed and unwaxed laces....

Edited by shoot_the_goalie
  • Like 1

So... I haven't ever been able to get a proper size... does anyone know what an 8 custom True lacing sizes are? Trying to buy aftermarket and I have always either totally overshot the size or completely undershot it...

23 minutes ago, Hills said:

So... I haven't ever been able to get a proper size... does anyone know what an 8 custom True lacing sizes are? Trying to buy aftermarket and I have always either totally overshot the size or completely undershot it...

Step 1, remove existing laces

Step 2, mesure existing laces

Step 3, buy correct size.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Hills said:

Mine are either 7.5 or 8, not 100% sure. But I use 108s. I have to unlace the top two eyelets to get them off, but this way the laces aren't super long after I tie them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dasuchin said:

Mine are either 7.5 or 8, not 100% sure. But I use 108s. I have to unlace the top two eyelets to get them off, but this way the laces aren't super long after I tie them.

Perfect thank you, I always pull the top 2 out anyways for ease of on and off and have to with the stock laces. Appreciate the help.

5 hours ago, Hills said:

The stock laces were craaaaazy long; I think 120. I use 96” laces on my size 8 stock TF9’s. Have to undo the top eyelet and can usually open it up enough to twist my foot into the skate. Sometimes I have to undo the top two. I dislike having a lot of excess length after they’re tied. 

96 on left, 108 on right 

2v2HzSZSnx1YqB.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dasuchin said:

I am 7.25R and 6.75 L and use 96" unwaxed.

I'm basically 7 left and 6.5/.75 right. I use 84" laces with top eyelet undone. Perfect amount of excess lace for me. Not too short where it looks weird but just enough ovi swag lol

When going for a custom fitment with True are there any things to be aware of to make sure it goes as smooth as possible ie leads to the best fit possible?

If someone has gone through the process before, and cares to share some lessons learned that would be appreciated.

9 hours ago, SolarWind said:

When going for a custom fitment with True are there any things to be aware of to make sure it goes as smooth as possible ie leads to the best fit possible?

If someone has gone through the process before, and cares to share some lessons learned that would be appreciated.

Make sure when you're in the lunge position you knees are lined up with your ankle and not inverted in or out. This will cause your arches to flatten or increase. My mistake when I got my first trues scanned was I never realized I over pronated with my right side which caused my knees to invert (or vice versa). The result was when I was scanned the arch for my right foot was completely flat and my right skate had no arch support. This caused my right skate to feel sloppy. My left was perfect bc I don't pronate with my left. I ended up heat gunning my right skate alot and was able to form an arch on the skate and it fit a lot better. I ultimately ended up selling that pair. 

Fast forward to my second pair of trues. I spent a year of fixing my pronation on my right foot and when getting scanned made sure my knees were all lined up with my ankle. Result, a boy that had the right arch height. 

I bring this up bc I see a lot of pictures of ppl scanning for their trues and they are in a horrible lunge position. Either way too deep or not deep enough amongst other things. 

13 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Time of day matters somewhat, cause feet swell by the end of the day.  So try to get fitted around the same time you typically play in relation to the store's hours.  If you have your previous set of skates, bring them and show the fitter what you like and don't like about the fit.  Make sure, in addition to the 3D scan that they take pics, and point out to the fitter any usual trouble spots or odd deformities that you may have.  The more info you give them, the better.

Excellent info, thanks gents!

My foot flattens also when pronated, so I’ll make sure to watch for alignment. 
Time of day is dictated by the rep availability for me so not a lot of wiggle room there. 

In that lunge position for scanning what’s the proper weight distribution between the front and the back leg? The more I load my foot the more my arch collapses…

Also what’s the most foolproof way to determine the length/width of the skates? In the past for Bauer and CCM customs I’d try a ton of retail models to find the closest match since scans for both brands are completely not reliable. But what about True?

14 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Excellent info, thanks gents!

My foot flattens also when pronated, so I’ll make sure to watch for alignment. 
Time of day is dictated by the rep availability for me so not a lot of wiggle room there. 

In that lunge position for scanning what’s the proper weight distribution between the front and the back leg? The more I load my foot the more my arch collapses…

Also what’s the most foolproof way to determine the length/width of the skates? In the past for Bauer and CCM customs I’d try a ton of retail models to find the closest match since scans for both brands are completely not reliable. But what about True?

Arch collapsing isn't necessarily the issue. Most arches do collapse a bit when bearing weight. My point was moreso to be aware of pronation of your ankle and knees bucking inward when bearing weight. Do lunges in front of a mirror. Do your knees naturally stay aligned with your hip and ankle or not? It they do, you don't really have anything to worry about. If they don't, it may affect the scan like I mentioned above. At the end of the day you should try to treat the pronation by strengthening your arches and leg muscles. YouTube fixing flat feet and there's tonnes of helpful tips out there regarding exercises and foam rolling etc. 

On 9/22/2019 at 10:25 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

If you have a convection oven at home that's in good working order, you really don't need to worry too much about messing up your skates as long as you follow the proper procedure.  I used to be anxious about baking skates at home, until I tried them out on some older pairs to test.  Never had a problem. But again, I follow the procedures (and manufacturer recommended temps) to a tee.

Even a high powered hair dryer can do the trick 😉

I’m on the verge of ordering my second pair of Trues. I’m a referee and they’ve served me well over 3 years and who knows how many games. I have a couple of concerns that may have been addressed but this thread is massive: 

To those of you who are return customers, has the process/quality changed from the past few years? I ordered in 2018.

When I ordered my current skates, I requested they do something about a problem I have with my medial malleolus. It is larger on my right and low and sits further forward. I suggested increasing the medial facing but left that determination up to them in the notes. This request was ignored while the others were taken care of. It causes significant pain after a couple of games and I haven’t found a solution. Would increasing the facing in that area help? Who can I contact when I reorder to ensure it’s addressed?

Edited by jared9356

quick one: what insoles do folks use in True custom skates? the stock setup with 2 different insoles sandwiched in is odd, and it doesn't look like something like superfeet is warranted since the skate is so anatomical already  (including instep) so would just a basic flat insole from Bauer skates work better?