Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

4 hours ago, Swlabr11 said:

Does anyone know where or how I can buy replacement tongues? My local shop where I got my skates said they can't get them. I'm looking for the newer TF Pro Custom tongue.

We have plenty of them in stock. Shoot me a DM if you want a pair. 

On 12/30/2021 at 12:05 PM, crispy92 said:

My shop says they can be ordered but they go through true custom. Best bet would be try sideline swap and pray you get lucky. Contacting true directly doesn’t seem to work as I never get anyone on the phone 

I find that they never answer the phone, but if you email them with your contact info, they will eventually contact you.

So a couple weeks ago out of nowhere I've been getting some minor rubbing/pain on just above the inner ankle bone of my right foot. It's actually not the ankle itself but almost the lowest part of my shin on the medial side. Skates are two years old and I only play once a week. Doesnt look like the boot is breaking down as it's still stiff everywhere. It's not painful but I feel it's there. Kind of disappointing. I'm going to spot heat it with a heat gun while it's laced up and see if I can get it to go away. I don't notice it all the time just through some motions like turning and when my ankle is inverted. It's definitely caused by pressure similar to why the comfort edges were created on ccm and Bauer skates. The weird thing is I've never had this issue before with these skates or any other skates for that matter. 

Anyone else notice random hot spots or pain that have surfaced after owning their skates for a while? I hope it's not that the padding is getting packed in etc and means I'll need to get new skates sooner than I want. If I can't get the issue to resolve with heating the area up, I'll have to resort to trying the bunga ankle sleeves and or similar gel pads. Love these skates and don't wanna go through getting new skates since these are dialed in perfectly... Well they were at least prior to this issue. 

Edited by Sniper9

On 1/31/2022 at 5:33 PM, Sniper9 said:

Anyone else notice random hot spots or pain that have surfaced after owning their skates for a while? 

I've dealt with this for most of my life and helped other skaters with it. I find it generally means your foot is leveraging against the boot and over time this is compressing / wearing / opening up the boot. Now the boot doesn't hold the foot as tight as it used to, this allows the foot to move creating irritation points. New skates generally fix the problem (until it happens again), a rebake sometimes helps, bunga pads / eezyfit booties / home made gel pads or doughnuts are all band aids on the problem. I say band aid because they don't fix the root of the problem, why is your foot leveraging against the boot? Do you pronate?

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

I've dealt with this for most of my life and helped other skaters with it. I find it generally means your foot is leveraging against the boot and over time this is compressing / wearing / opening up the boot. Now the boot doesn't hold the foot as tight as it used to, this allows the foot to move creating irritation points. New skates generally fix the problem (until it happens again), a rebake sometimes helps, bunga pads / eezyfit booties / home made gel pads or doughnuts are all band aids on the problem. I say band aid because they don't fix the root of the problem, why is your foot leveraging against the boot? Do you pronate?

I knew you'd chime in ☺️. My right foot does pronate, yes. That's why I like the speedplates. When I mould them I make sure my right foot isn't pronated and it's formed with an arch so my feet doesn't pronate inside the boot but like you said the pressure is there from my foot wanting to pronate and packing the foams overtime. It's what I suspected, just didn't wanna hear it. I've had these skates only two and some years playing once a week on avg. Skates are still in ridiculously good shape.

The skates still feel locked in though. Not getting loose and sloppy at all. And the shell is still stiff.  The weird thing is that it's when I'm using my outside edge on my right skate during right turns I find I over exaggerate inverting my ankle to really get that outside edge which is what causes the top part of the inside of the skate to press up against my upper ankle. So this is kind of the opposite or pronation... If it was my pronation that caused the issue wouldnt it mean the outside of the skate would be pressing up against the outside of my right ankle?

I may see if the ankle gel sleeves work. Right now it's more of an annoyance than pain. But then again I don't want this to turn into a lace bite type thing where it becomes chronic and won't go away even with new skates. 

I guess I should restart doing my flat feet exercises like I was before covid. I noticed that helped alot doing arch exercises, rolling out the arches, calves, and strengthening exercises. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

The skates still feel locked in though.

They feel locked in, it's what you have got used to over time because your feet don't have anything else to compare them with. Put your foot into new skates and you will feel the difference. Did you ever have an injury on that ankle such as a bad sprain? This could be the cause of your supination to try and get on a deep edge, you might now hyper extend on the ankle because you don't have the strength and control when trying to balance on the edge.

Ironically I just posted a thread about pronation, and the one off ice exercise you need to do. I hope it helps.

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

They feel locked in, it's what you have got used to over time because your feet don't have anything else to compare them with. Put your foot into new skates and you will feel the difference. Did you ever have an injury on that ankle such as a bad sprain? This could be the cause of your supination to try and get on a deep edge, you might now hyper extend on the ankle because you don't have the strength and control when trying to balance on the edge.

Ironically I just posted a thread about pronation, and the one off ice exercise you need to do. I hope it helps.

Thanks vet.  Ya I have had one specific injury to the medial part of my right ankle. I thought it was a stress fracture as it was caused by running too much too soon but I've always had pronation issues on that right foot. Not sure why. But I'm pretty sure the injury was caused by the constant pronation over and over when running. It ended up being a ligament sprain and took 3 mths to get me back on my feet. I was still in pain but prior to that I wasn't able to walk without limping and had regular chiropractic/physio treatment on it. I really should start up the exercises again. And you make good points about the compensation with the outside edge. 

So I spot heated the area and opened up the cuff ever so slightly and it seemed to help a lot.  I went and tried on retail skates and it actually felt worse bc of tht lack of wrap. With what I did I feel it's there but no pain. I think I feel something there mainly bc there's a bruise on that area now bc of all the skates I tried and I kept mimicking the ankle inversion. Looking back probably isn't a good idea as the last thing I want is for it to be a chronic scar tissue thing. I imagine if I didn't have a bruise the tweak in the cuff would've resolved the issue completely. 

Anyone ever successfully convince True to adjust facings? I’m about to replace my four year old customs, and that request was ignored for that order . Hoping there’s someone I can get ahold of at True to get this taken care of. Im a full time official so eliminating minor hot spots is a huge deal for me. 

23 hours ago, jared9356 said:

Anyone ever successfully convince True to adjust facings? I’m about to replace my four year old customs, and that request was ignored for that order . Hoping there’s someone I can get ahold of at True to get this taken care of. Im a full time official so eliminating minor hot spots is a huge deal for me. 

I did, but it was no simple task. Good luck. 

So anyone planning on getting the catalyst skates retail or custom? I think my next skates will be the custom catalyst customs. I wonder if true will change their skate sizing so it's more in line with ccm Bauer and not run bigger. I still don't know why they use a holder that's a size smaller too. You can tell there's lots of room still from of the boot for a larger holder. 

Fr example. Their size 6.5 fits more like a size 7. Which means the boot technically is the size 7 when compares to ccm Bauer. Which means the 6.5 holder should be 263 and not 254. 

7 hours ago, stick9 said:

Last time I looked it was only 6.5EE that used a 263. 

I know. What I'm saying is that if trues 6.5 fits like a traditional 7. The size of their boot would be roughly the same length as a traditional 7 which means their 6.5 should support a 263 holder, not 254. 254 would look like it's falling short. 

If you look at the pic, there's quite a bit of room in the heel and the two. Probably could have a holder one size larger and it wouldn't even look oversized. I guess this is only an issue for those who are downsizing with true and fall into a smaller holder, as someone going from 7.5 to 7 wouldn't affect holder size. 

sF76ZXi.jpeg

I’m a 10 in MLX, but they upsized the holders on those, so it’s 296. In TF I’m pretty sure I’m a 9, which I think is 280. I can do that range, but it is a pretty big drop.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:40 PM, Sniper9 said:

So anyone planning on getting the catalyst skates retail or custom? I think my next skates will be the custom catalyst customs. I wonder if true will change their skate sizing so it's more in line with ccm Bauer and not run bigger. I still don't know why they use a holder that's a size smaller too. You can tell there's lots of room still from of the boot for a larger holder. 

Fr example. Their size 6.5 fits more like a size 7. Which means the boot technically is the size 7 when compares to ccm Bauer. Which means the 6.5 holder should be 263 and not 254. 

I will have a pair. But then again, what don't I have? lol

As for skate sizing changes, there won't be any dramatic changes to the sizing system. The prototype Catalyst skates fit the same as the TF7 which was similar to other brands. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PBH said:

I will have a pair. But then again, what don't I have? lol

As for skate sizing changes, there won't be any dramatic changes to the sizing system. The prototype Catalyst skates fit the same as the TF7 which was similar to other brands. 

Tf7 fit more like other brands because of the traditional tongue?  I did notice with my trues when I push the tongue further down into the toe box it caused my feet and toes to flatten more and elongate (which I like the feel of). 

Youre going to get the catalyst on custom? Did I even need to ask? Lol. Can't wait to see up close pics from you. Those are probably going to be my next pair of skates since I like what they did with a shorter and more low profile toe cap. Not a huge fan of the overall look but it being a more flexible boot and change in toecap got my interest. 

On 12/30/2021 at 5:28 PM, PBH said:

We have plenty of them in stock. Shoot me a DM if you want a pair. 

My LHS can only get standard felt tongues. I tried them, but they feel wider and thicker than my current ones, and they made my skates feel quite a bit tighter. I’d like to try some others. How do you determine what size tongue to order? My VH skates (2016) have no size on them. The Lightspeed Edge holders on them are 272. My previous skates were Bauer One75 in size 8.5. Thanks!

2 hours ago, demmer12 said:

My LHS can only get standard felt tongues. I tried them, but they feel wider and thicker than my current ones, and they made my skates feel quite a bit tighter. I’d like to try some others. How do you determine what size tongue to order? My VH skates (2016) have no size on them. The Lightspeed Edge holders on them are 272. My previous skates were Bauer One75 in size 8.5. Thanks!

The true tongues do come in sizes so you'll need to get the right size.  This site has the size guide but you're in between sizes. Do you know what size your LHS gave u? There should be a sticker on it with a number somewhere. When I got mine it did. I'm 263 holder and asked for a medium and it came with a number 7 sticker on it. 

If you can find out what size your LHS one is I'd get one size down.  You can order from the site I linked. They also have an ebay account. Or order from true. You can also email true and ask them what size tongue goes with your skate.  

https://www.hockeyvancouver.ca/collections/true-vh-hockey-skate-repair-parts/products/true-standard-felt-replacement-skate-tongues

Do you know what size your LHS gave u? There should be a sticker on it with a number somewhere.

I don’t. I just swapped one in the store to try it. I don’t recall seeing a number on it. Although, maybe the tiny round sticker that I thought was an L was a 7.

You can order from the site I linked.

I’ve ordered other things from them before, and I was inspired to ask about size here based on their size guide.

I wonder if the medium in the Lightweight or TF Pro tongues would fit better than the Standard Felt tongue did for me. The tongues that I have now (from 2016) look somewhat like the Lightweight one.

3 hours ago, demmer12 said:

I don’t. I just swapped one in the store to try it. I don’t recall seeing a number on it. Although, maybe the tiny round sticker that I thought was an L was a 7.

I’ve ordered other things from them before, and I was inspired to ask about size here based on their size guide.

I wonder if the medium in the Lightweight or TF Pro tongues would fit better than the Standard Felt tongue did for me. The tongues that I have now (from 2016) look somewhat like the Lightweight one.

If what you saw was a small white sticker then it was in fact a 7. Which is a medium. If volume is your issue then just get the alternative lightweight tongues. The 7 would've been the right size for you since it's a 7-8. The next size up would be massive for you if you didn't like the 7. One size smaller it will still be just as thick but longer and maybe wider. I personally like the felt tongue. I like the feeling of the padding. Mind you I haven't tried the other tongues but if it won't broke...

After looking more closely at the True tongues at Max-Performance, I think the tongues that I tried at my LHS were not the Standard Felt ones but the T-Guard Felt ones. The T-Guard probably adds a little extra thickness. That and the new felt may be what caused my skates to feel tighter. If I want to try the T-Guard, the TF Pro tongues may be better. If I want the closest to what I have now, the Standard Felt ones are it. Size medium in either.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, beedee said:

Anyone have a ballpark figure for the retail pricing on the Catalyst skates?

I cant tell you specifically.... but if you look around online you should be able to find that data.