Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I got scanned for a pair of custom trues last week. Going back and looking at some reviewer videos, I notice they had their knees right over their toes. When I did my scan the guy told me to keep my leg more or less straight. How much will this impact my final product? Should I go back and get scanned again? Lead time is 10 weeks right now. 

1 hour ago, innotastic said:

I got scanned for a pair of custom trues last week. Going back and looking at some reviewer videos, I notice they had their knees right over their toes. When I did my scan the guy told me to keep my leg more or less straight. How much will this impact my final product? Should I go back and get scanned again? Lead time is 10 weeks right now. 

The scan will change the scan significantly. 

Your weight distribution differs considerably standing straight up compared to having your knees over toes in the proper hockey stance. 

I would go back and request another scan. 

12 hours ago, PBH said:

The scan will change the scan significantly. 

Your weight distribution differs considerably standing straight up compared to having your knees over toes in the proper hockey stance. 

I would go back and request another scan. 

On the flip side of your knees are too far forward it'll also affect the skate fit. Or heel pocket may be too deep and ankle cup position may be slightly off. It's best to have your knees just above the toes imo. Having your leg completely straight is unacceptable though. The staff members really need to get proper training. I'm glad where I am, theres a LHS that has been selling vh/true since vh first came out, and it's the same/only guy at the store that does the true custom process. 

• Like 1

If the guy is fitting you for custom skates and telling you to keep your leg straight, I’d cancel the order and go somewhere that has an idea of what they are doing.  

That’s not a deep dive super technical aspect of measuring customs, that’s like super basic hockey skate fit 101. 

If they’re telling you to stand straight legged, what else are they doing wrong? 

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. I got my foot rescanned by someone at the store more knowledgeable. Luckily it doesn't sound like it will affect the lead time. It is a bit concerning, especially since true has instructional videos that seem to cover it quite clearly. 

4 hours ago, innotastic said:

Thanks for the feedback. I got my foot rescanned by someone at the store more knowledgeable. Luckily it doesn't sound like it will affect the lead time. It is a bit concerning, especially since true has instructional videos that seem to cover it quite clearly. 

Good thing you caught it in time. I'm glad the store also accommodated you as well. I could see some places saying "it will be fine". 

I think true also has to accept the scan as well. I wonder if they would look at the scan and see that there was obviously no forward flexion at the ankle that they would accept it. I bet they would, seeing how many bad scanned are turned into production. 

So I got my foot scanned for true custom skates on November 6 and got the skates on December 23. At first I could barely put them on but since than I have learned how to put them on but it still hurts the outer portion of my foot. Does anyone have a solution to this? Also after I've been in the skates for around 2 hours (officiating hockey) the soles of my feet start to hurt. Is this still the breaking in process or should get a sole insert that supports my high arch and if so what kind? 

Has anyone here switched from True to the current supremes? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the supremes appear to have a somewhat similar cut to Makos (which I loved). I’d like to move away from True because of the horrific interior durability but I can’t sacrifice fit. Any insight to the similarities between the two would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, hockeyplayer_11 said:

So I got my foot scanned for true custom skates on November 6 and got the skates on December 23. At first I could barely put them on but since than I have learned how to put them on but it still hurts the outer portion of my foot. Does anyone have a solution to this? Also after I've been in the skates for around 2 hours (officiating hockey) the soles of my feet start to hurt. Is this still the breaking in process or should get a sole insert that supports my high arch and if so what kind? 

Maybe rebake or spot heat the the outer portion. Does it hurt when you put them on or in general. 

As for the soles of your feet, is it the arches specifically? Where exactly on your soles. More info needed. There really shouldn't be a break in period with Trues. 

2 minutes ago, jared9356 said:

Has anyone here switched from True to the current supremes? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the supremes appear to have a somewhat similar cut to Makos (which I loved). I’d like to move away from True because of the horrific interior durability but I can’t sacrifice fit. Any insight to the similarities between the two would be appreciated. 

I've never had issues with trues clarino liner. You can choose the wick liner if you don't like the clarino or vice versa. 

I Just tried 3s pros and overall they fit pretty decent but honestly nothing will match trues in terms of comfort. But asking someone who fits in trues whether they fit on x skates isn't really accurate. any custom skates are made for the person's actual feet and aren't indicative of retail skates. 

29 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I've never had issues with trues clarino liner. You can choose the wick liner if you don't like the clarino or vice versa. 

I Just tried 3s pros and overall they fit pretty decent but honestly nothing will match trues in terms of comfort. But asking someone who fits in trues whether they fit on x skates isn't really accurate. any custom skates are made for the person's actual feet and aren't indicative of retail skates. 

Part of the issue is that I’m a full time official. In fairness, I beat up skates more frequently than your average player. The liner started wearing on me about a year in and at this point it’s ugly. 
I’ve heard that Bauer/Ccm customs are not custom - more like personalized. That’s disappointing as True really did mound certain spots to fit abnormalities that I have. 

8 hours ago, jared9356 said:

Part of the issue is that I’m a full time official. In fairness, I beat up skates more frequently than your average player. The liner started wearing on me about a year in and at this point it’s ugly. 
I’ve heard that Bauer/Ccm customs are not custom - more like personalized. That’s disappointing as True really did mound certain spots to fit abnormalities that I have. 

I don't think the wick liner will be more durable than the clarino. Where is the liner wearing through- ankle pocket area, heel, just behind the eyelets ?

10 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Maybe rebake or spot heat the the outer portion. Does it hurt when you put them on or in general. 

As for the soles of your feet, is it the arches specifically? Where exactly on your soles. More info needed. There really shouldn't be a break in period with Trues. 

It just hurts whenever I put them on.

For the soles it's near the ball of my feet that I'm feeling the most pain. I do have high arches too.

46 minutes ago, hockeyplayer_11 said:

It just hurts whenever I put them on.

For the soles it's near the ball of my feet that I'm feeling the most pain. I do have high arches too.

YouTube vh and or true skate adjustments and you will find different videos. It's too much to explain here. True skates are highly tweakable compared to other skates.  Having skates hurt you after 2 hours of being in them consecutively isn't uncommon even for trues. Lots of people say they can be in trues for hours at a time but I wouldn't consider it unusual even if trues cause you some issues after 2 hrs of being on the ice. 

10 hours ago, jared9356 said:

If you wear your skates that often then that's just wear and tear. Is it ugly or is in not functional ?

6 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

If you wear your skates that often then that's just wear and tear. Is it ugly or is in not functional ?

Teetering on dysfunction. The liner is shredded in multiple spots and has come unglued from certain areas. I take great care of them though. Never had liner issues as a player - even in junior when I was skating 5-6 days a week. 

On 11/18/2021 at 5:45 PM, jared9356 said:

I’m on the verge of ordering my second pair of Trues. I’m a referee and they’ve served me well over 3 years and who knows how many games. I have a couple of concerns that may have been addressed but this thread is massive: 

To those of you who are return customers, has the process/quality changed from the past few years? I ordered in 2018.

When I ordered my current skates, I requested they do something about a problem I have with my medial malleolus. It is larger on my right and low and sits further forward. I suggested increasing the medial facing but left that determination up to them in the notes. This request was ignored while the others were taken care of. It causes significant pain after a couple of games and I haven’t found a solution. Would increasing the facing in that area help? Who can I contact when I reorder to ensure it’s addressed?

I am going to skip over the other pages and just ask you to DM about the fit issues. 

Has anyone fixed or come up with a fix for the terrible Velcro tabs on the true skates?   My VH skates, they were the original VH skates had a very strong Velcro arrangement on the skate and the tongue.  The trues always pull out and are a pain to keep attached.  

9 minutes ago, iceman8310 said:

Has anyone fixed or come up with a fix for the terrible Velcro tabs on the true skates?   My VH skates, they were the original VH skates had a very strong Velcro arrangement on the skate and the tongue.  The trues always pull out and are a pain to keep attached.  

It's the loop Velcro on the tongue that is trash. The hook part that's on the boot is actually fine. Two options 

1) permanently sew the tongue on. 

2) replace the loop Velcro on the tongue with Velcro brand industrial loop. 

Ive done option two with great results. I even extended the loop area higher as I like to push the tongue into the toebox. This way theres more surface area for the hook to grab onto when there's an extended piece of loop on the tongue. 

I agree though. The loop on the tongue is pathetic. After a few adjustments they fray. 

35 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

It's the loop Velcro on the tongue that is trash. The hook part that's on the boot is actually fine. Two options 

1) permanently sew the tongue on. 

2) replace the loop Velcro on the tongue with Velcro brand industrial loop. 

Ive done option two with great results. I even extended the loop area higher as I like to push the tongue into the toebox. This way theres more surface area for the hook to grab onto when there's an extended piece of loop on the tongue. 

I agree though. The loop on the tongue is pathetic. After a few adjustments they fray. 

I had this VH tongue on my VH and it was awesome.  Just seem to hold really well compared to my true tongues. The VH Velcro had a lot of meat to it if that makes sense.  I wish they still had these tongues.

Did you do the Velcro change yourself or take them somewhere?

image.jpeg.4e49597e65cf637640c45a4f74260cb1.jpeg

Edited by iceman8310

14 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

I had this VH tongue on my VH and it was awesome.  Just seem to hold really well compared to my true tongues. The VH Velcro had a lot of meat to it if that makes sense.  I wish they still had these tongues.

Did you do the Velcro change yourself or take them somewhere?

image.jpeg.4e49597e65cf637640c45a4f74260cb1.jpeg

I did it myself. If you know how to use a needle and thread it's simple. I just used normal sewing thread. You could get a thicker waxed thread if you want. 

Just get something like this 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0789S6B4C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_SZG4TR0W2DAWJQGR0PRD

It has adhesives too but I find it'll tend to detach slightly at the corners. What I did was stick it on the tongue and just sew the top and bottom part of the strip to prevent it from lifting.  Or u can bypass sewing and see how well the adhesives hold on its own.  

If you don't want to deal with any labor just buy the Velcro and bring into any place that will do it for you. Ie. Tailor, pro shop, shoe repair, etc. I personally wouldn't pay anyone to do this 10 min job though

For those that swapped out the shift holders for Bauer/CCM, did you get the holes filled with epoxy and holes drilled after, or did you re use existing holes/stretched them/drilled new holes as necessary?

Does it make any difference either way?

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

I did it myself. If you know how to use a needle and thread it's simple. I just used normal sewing thread. You could get a thicker waxed thread if you want. 

Just get something like this 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0789S6B4C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_SZG4TR0W2DAWJQGR0PRD

It has adhesives too but I find it'll tend to detach slightly at the corners. What I did was stick it on the tongue and just sew the top and bottom part of the strip to prevent it from lifting.  Or u can bypass sewing and see how well the adhesives hold on its own.  

If you don't want to deal with any labor just buy the Velcro and bring into any place that will do it for you. Ie. Tailor, pro shop, shoe repair, etc. I personally wouldn't pay anyone to do this 10 min job though

I use Barge adhesive (used in shoe and boot assembly) with excellent results. I've found the Velcro adhesive to be disappointing in general. 

1 hour ago, innotastic said:

For those that swapped out the shift holders for Bauer/CCM, did you get the holes filled with epoxy and holes drilled after, or did you re use existing holes/stretched them/drilled new holes as necessary?

Does it make any difference either way?

The shop that did mine (XS holders) did not fill the holes. They might have used 1-2 existing and drilled the rest new. I’d say using proper rivets would make a bigger difference than filling holes. I’ve actually never had anyone fill old holes before drilling new ones

Edited by Westside