Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

5 hours ago, innotastic said:

For those that swapped out the shift holders for Bauer/CCM, did you get the holes filled with epoxy and holes drilled after, or did you re use existing holes/stretched them/drilled new holes as necessary?

Does it make any difference either way?

My holes lined up

19 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

My holes lined up

There's no way all the holes would line up if you went from shift holders to any other holder. Unless you're talking about tthe old step vh holders

Maybe I missed it, but I scanned through about 50 pages of this thread and didn't see it - does anyone know if you can get replacement achilles tendon guards for the older VH line? I have what I'd call a gen-3 of the VH skates, with the plastic tendon guard attached by a single rivet. One took a puck last night and completely shattered on ice. I looked online and they sell the newer True replacement guards, but I'm worried they won't fit the older VH line. Ideas?

My LHS was able to replace the tendon guards on my VH skates from 2016. They're the same as these ones. I bought a couple pairs of replacement tongues from the same shop to which I linked, since my LHS could only get one of the five kinds available. I'm planning to sell the tongues that didn't work for me to try to make some of my money back.

1 hour ago, demmer12 said:

My LHS was able to replace the tendon guards on my VH skates from 2016. They're the same as these ones. I bought a couple pairs of replacement tongues from the same shop to which I linked, since my LHS could only get one of the five kinds available. I'm planning to sell the tongues that didn't work for me to try to make some of my money back.

The ad clearly states they won't fit VH skates made prior to 2020.  You may be SOL.

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

The ad clearly states they won't fit VH skates made prior to 2020.  You may be SOL.

The tendon guards were replaced over a month ago. The owner of my LHS said that he had problems taking the old ones off but not putting the new ones on. I didn't notice a difference when skating, and I've had no problems with them. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SydNap said:

Maybe I missed it, but I scanned through about 50 pages of this thread and didn't see it - does anyone know if you can get replacement achilles tendon guards for the older VH line? I have what I'd call a gen-3 of the VH skates, with the plastic tendon guard attached by a single rivet. One took a puck last night and completely shattered on ice. I looked online and they sell the newer True replacement guards, but I'm worried they won't fit the older VH line. Ideas?

Same place / site that was just posted but this link is for vh and pre TF true skates. 

https://www.hockeyvancouver.ca/collections/true-vh-hockey-skate-repair-parts/products/true-hockey-replacement-heel-tendon-guard

question for you folks -- i got a new pair of custom trues, went in today to pick them up and get them baked. 

i wish i had watched this video for how to do this online first (with scott van horne explaining to lace 70% tightness, only the first 4 eyelets, and shrinkwrap the ankles)

what happened instead was the guy just told me to grab them and lace them up, so i did, pretty darn close to full tension, all except the top 2 eyelets. no shrink wrap. 

around minute 10, my left foot started going numb. the guy was nowhere to be found so after the full period (they had me sit for 15 mins, though the video says 20), i took them off, found him and asked about the numbness.. he said skate on them 4 times or so and if its still a problem come back and they can rebake, flare them out, etc.

how would you recommend dealing with this? just do as he said? when i go back, should i flare everything out when they're out of the oven, bring shrink wrap, etc.? annoyed that what i did today was not the right way and want to make sure i get to a place where the skates work out.

thank you

Edited by wHATcOLOR
clarifying

On 7/30/2022 at 10:45 PM, wHATcOLOR said:

question for you folks -- i got a new pair of custom trues, went in today to pick them up and get them baked. 

i wish i had watched this video for how to do this online first (with scott van horne explaining to lace 70% tightness, only the first 4 eyelets, and shrinkwrap the ankles)

what happened instead was the guy just told me to grab them and lace them up, so i did, pretty darn close to full tension, all except the top 2 eyelets. no shrink wrap. 

around minute 10, my left foot started going numb. the guy was nowhere to be found so after the full period (they had me sit for 15 mins, though the video says 20), i took them off, found him and asked about the numbness.. he said skate on them 4 times or so and if its still a problem come back and they can rebake, flare them out, etc.

how would you recommend dealing with this? just do as he said? when i go back, should i flare everything out when they're out of the oven, bring shrink wrap, etc.? annoyed that what i did today was not the right way and want to make sure i get to a place where the skates work out.

thank you

First off. Double check to see if the eyelets have been stretched. 

Secondly, skate on them first and see how they feel. If there are issues like they are too tight etc, then maybe rebake. Mind you, when you lace them up to skate don't tie them as tight as you would with Bauer's or ccm. Just enough so there is not lace slack.

Good luck. 

Does anyone know how to improve forward flex and general ankle mobility?  I did the stretch wrap baking method and the went back and tried to flare the sides back out but nothing seems impact how much forward flex I can get.  They're so stiff that in all directions that if I fall I have to basically do a pushup to get backup because I can't get my edges underneath me.  Additionally, I constantly find myself falling forward over my toes and my stride looks weird AF.  I've tried various profiles, lacing styles, skipping eyelets, etc.  It seems like anything I do to make sure they are tight on the bottom makes them tight in the ankle and vice versa.  Prior to Trues I skated in Vapors, Jetspeeds and Tacks and remembered generally being more agile and able to skate better.  Recently, I even went so far as to buy a cheap set of used Supreme 3S to confirm I wasn't crazy and I can actually move my ankle in all directions significantly easier, skate better and actually shoot better than in my Trues because I can lean forward into my shots.  The problem is the Supremes are pretty uncomfortable (which is the reason I switched to customs- retail skates are agony).  The Trues I have were manufactured in 2019 (got them right before the pandemic) and I've been skating in them a little over a year about 5 times a week .  They have Tuuk holders (long story - two shift holders exploded within a couple weeks and I'd had enough) and the lightweight tongues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, xfrost11 said:

Does anyone know how to improve forward flex and general ankle mobility?  I did the stretch wrap baking method and the went back and tried to flare the sides back out but nothing seems impact how much forward flex I can get.  They're so stiff that in all directions that if I fall I have to basically do a pushup to get backup because I can't get my edges underneath me.  Additionally, I constantly find myself falling forward over my toes and my stride looks weird AF.  I've tried various profiles, lacing styles, skipping eyelets, etc.  It seems like anything I do to make sure they are tight on the bottom makes them tight in the ankle and vice versa.  Prior to Trues I skated in Vapors, Jetspeeds and Tacks and remembered generally being more agile and able to skate better.  Recently, I even went so far as to buy a cheap set of used Supreme 3S to confirm I wasn't crazy and I can actually move my ankle in all directions significantly easier, skate better and actually shoot better than in my Trues because I can lean forward into my shots.  The problem is the Supremes are pretty uncomfortable (which is the reason I switched to customs- retail skates are agony).  The Trues I have were manufactured in 2019 (got them right before the pandemic) and I've been skating in them a little over a year about 5 times a week .  They have Tuuk holders (long story - two shift holders exploded within a couple weeks and I'd had enough) and the lightweight tongues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Drop an eyelet. Or flex forward then tie the top lace which creates some slack on the top lace. 

@xfrost11 see if you can find a tongue with little to no stiffness to it. The boots are so stiff that any stiffness in the tongue can become inhibiting to your forward flex.

My favourite tongue in my MLX is an 80’s felt, leather, and nylon that isn’t stiff at all. The first time I skated in my MLX with those was an eye-opener.  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 5:29 AM, flip12 said:

@xfrost11 see if you can find a tongue with little to no stiffness to it. The boots are so stiff that any stiffness in the tongue can become inhibiting to your forward flex.

My favourite tongue in my MLX is an 80’s felt, leather, and nylon that isn’t stiff at all. The first time I skated in my MLX with those was an eye-opener.  

I like the basic felt tongue in my TF9s way better than the stock lightweight foam things

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

I like the basic felt tongue in my TF9s way better than the stock lightweight foam things

True had a nice spongy felt tongue with very little stiffness at one point. I don’t know what they call(ed) it but it was on the True custom display model skate at the LHS a few years ago—before the railroad stripe detailing on the quarters. I’d go for something like that if possible.

29 minutes ago, flip12 said:

True had a nice spongy felt tongue with very little stiffness at one point. I don’t know what they call(ed) it but it was on the True custom display model skate at the LHS a few years ago—before the railroad stripe detailing on the quarters. I’d go for something like that if possible.

That was the lightweight tongue. The Pro tongue is also flexible once it breaks in.

• Like 1

Anyone know if the tendon guard is different on the new SVH? I got my pair in December 2019, just had the tendon guard fly off during a game last night. Never had that happen before, but I have had to replace the rivet in each skate once or twice in the time I've owned them. I'd be interested in upgrading if they fixed the tendon guard and/or if the skates are significantly lighter.

I'd be tempted to just go custom in some other skate except that the Trues just fit so well and I have zero pain at all.

True went with a screw with the TF series in 2020, but it looks like with the release of the Catalyst skates they've went back to using a rivet. Some people complained that the screw would loosen over time with the TF skates, but I remember people complaining about the rivets coming loose on the old skates. I think the Mako skates two bolt system was better for the tendon guard as I've never had one of those off, but perhaps they can't do something like that do to intellectual property rights.

The catalogue that shows the rivets and the different tendon guard options for the custom skates (standard or flex) was posted in the Catalyst thread. I'll paste the link here to make things easier: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:85882b7e-1b8b-3288-a9dd-53243a6c6bf2#pageNum=1

I've never replaced the tendon guard on any of the Easton Mako skates I used for ice or inline. I wore out some of the skates, but the tendon guards were still fine. I haven't had any issues with the True TF9 tendon guards, but I've only used them for about a year.

On the other hand, I've seen posts of broken tendon guards from other companies (mainly Bauer) and in those cases, I'm sure the skate owners would've appreciated an easily replaceable tendon guard. So, I'm sort of on the fence. If the tendon guard is durable and well made, then no, I don't think it needs to be replaceable. If it's likely to break during the life of the skate, then being able to easily replace it is nice. 

My one tendon guard is loose on my TF7s. Is this something I can fix on my own somehow? 

It’s not falling off, but has some wiggle side to side that I’d like to stop before it gets problematic. 

Howdy,

6 hours ago, start_today said:

My one tendon guard is loose on my TF7s. Is this something I can fix on my own somehow? 

It’s not falling off, but has some wiggle side to side that I’d like to stop before it gets problematic. 

Depends on whether its loose or the screw is snapped.  If its just loose, pull the inside foam pad out/aside and use the tool they provided with the skates to tighten up the screw.

If the screw is snapped (this happened to me), then you'll need a replacement screw.  True can send you some, or you can cut down a flat head hardware store screw to length.  I can't remember the thread specs, but if you need them ask and I'll dig them up.

Mark