Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

12 hours ago, Mimizk said:

Also I was confused by the mismatch between the genuine TRUE holders and VH boots' outsole.
Oppositely, compatibility with CCM XS holders is really good. It looks like "true" genuine holder for the VH boots.

+ genuine TRUE holders
52260123563_744716f094_c.jpg

+ CCM SpeedBlade XS holders
52260386194_11cb5ef05c_c.jpg

Ur 3mm lifts probably have something to do with it I'm guessing.  

16 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

That works too, but it doesn't wear as well as the Gorilla Glue option. 

Here is my Superfeet with Gorilla Construction Adhesive. This is after 16 months and about 350 ice sessions with them. The adhesive is still grippy, like rubber, and has not even worn at all. 

PXL-20221230-184104059.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Here is my Superfeet with Gorilla Construction Adhesive. This is after 16 months and about 350 ice sessions with them. The adhesive is still grippy, like rubber, and has not even worn at all. 

Is this it ?

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-max-strength-construction-adhesive-clear/

On 12/30/2022 at 10:44 AM, VegasHockey said:

Interesting. So it dries as a rubbery/grippy material? Not sticky like glue?

On 12/24/2022 at 10:24 AM, Sniper9 said:

I was thinking just simple 100% bathtub silicone. Or even shoe glue. 

Just to follow-up with this. 100% clear silicone worked perfect for adding grip to the insoles. I used GE brand specifically for bath and tub if it makes any diff. I find there is a difference in quality between brands even if they are all 100% silicone. 

d28DaFq.jpeg

• Like 1

For folks who have opted for the Catalyst Pro skates instead of the SVH customs, I'd be very curious to know why.  I understand going for the Cat 9--at least at my LHS they are significantly cheaper and are available immediately off the shelf. But, at my LHS the price difference between the Cat Pro and the SVH custom is actually relatively small.  The Cat 9s didn't work for me, and I haven't found an option I love at retail, so I am considering going the custom route.  I'm trying to figure out if there's any reason to consider the Cat Pros instead of the SVH customs.  Thanks!

On 2/18/2023 at 3:15 PM, bl4 said:

For folks who have opted for the Catalyst Pro skates instead of the SVH customs, I'd be very curious to know why.  I understand going for the Cat 9--at least at my LHS they are significantly cheaper and are available immediately off the shelf. But, at my LHS the price difference between the Cat Pro and the SVH custom is actually relatively small.  The Cat 9s didn't work for me, and I haven't found an option I love at retail, so I am considering going the custom route.  I'm trying to figure out if there's any reason to consider the Cat Pros instead of the SVH customs.  Thanks!

SVH Customs are significantly heavier than the Catalyst Pro. I also find the Catalyst Pro fit and finish is nicer than the SVH Custom. The primary reason to go with the SVH Custom is if you have significant foot issues. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 3:15 PM, bl4 said:

I went from the SVH (tf pro custom) to the cat pros because:

- cat pros lighter

- cat pros more flexible

- cat pros fit and finishr

- cat pros cheaper

Reason why I went for cat pros over the cat 9s

- I liked the colors of the cat pro better (I know, not the best reason)

- I have diff size feet 

- I wanted something more custom fit

Mind you, I never actually tried the cat 9s so they very well may have fit just as well as the cat pros. But I'm pretty happy with my cat pros. They're just as comfortable as the tf pros I had and you can feel that it's a bit more flexible and lighter. The tf pros I will say feel slightly more comfy in that it felt more "padded". 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

Many thanks, @VegasHockey & @Sniper9. That's very helpful.

I was pronating significantly on one foot w/the Cat 9s, and I couldn't get a great heel lock (I have narrow feet).  I like the idea of the lighter skate and greater forward flex that the Cat Pro offers, but I worry that the same issues I encountered w/the Cat 9 would recur w/the Cat Pro.  I assume that the SVH custom would take care of the heel issue, but I don't know if the pronation issue would necessarily be better.

6 minutes ago, bl4 said:

I was pronating significantly on one foot w/the Cat 9s, and I couldn't get a great heel lock (I have narrow feet).  I like the idea of the lighter skate and greater forward flex that the Cat Pro offers, but I worry that the same issues I encountered w/the Cat 9 would recur w/the Cat Pro.  I assume that the SVH custom would take care of the heel issue, but I don't know if the pronation issue would necessarily be better.

I think either one would resolve the heel lock issue. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bl4 said:

Cat pros use the exact same shell as the cat 9s. Only the padding is adjusted, so I don't think you'll find much better heel lock in those. For me though I found the cat pros provide me better heel lock then my tf pro customs since the heel pocket seems a bit more shallow than the tf pro customs. The pronation also is a reason for poor heel lock as your entire for shifts due to it and causes your heel not to sit in the pocket properly. If you have pronation issues, even custom skates won't fix this. I pronate with my right foot and notice the heel lock is slightly worse than my left. But with speed plates it has helped me a lot since the arch on these insoles are firm and don't collapse at all. 

Aso for me the cat pros flexibility was more noticeable laterally. Forward flexion I don't really notice a diff. Both the cat pros and tf pro customs I have to drop the top eyelet bc there's so much wrap bc my ankles are so skinny that it'll feel like skating on ski boots if I lace em to the top. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Cat pros use the exact same shell as the cat 9s. Only the padding is adjusted, so I don't think you'll find much better heel lock in those.

Due to the changes in foam thickness, placement, and the factory molding process, heel lock issues should be addressed. The changes to the Catalyst Pro are all internal and not so much external. 

2 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Due to the changes in foam thickness, placement, and the factory molding process, heel lock issues should be addressed. The changes to the Catalyst Pro are all internal and not so much external. 

Foams imo can only do so much for heel lock as it's soft. I'd imagine heel lock is more to do with the depth and shape of the overall heel pocket in regards to the shell. You can prob address some heel lock issues with foams but I can't see it being long term once it compacts and wears. 

Thanks, @VegasHockey & @Sniper9.

@Sniper9, I've only used SuperFeet, not speed plates, but I should check them out.  How have you found the Cat Pros in comparison to other skates when it comes to pronation?  I understand, of course, that there's no better way to figure out if skates work for you than by trying them.  But, the custom dynamic complicates matters.  And, I'm a bit wary because I felt like I was pronating more in the Cat9s than I was used to in other skates.

13 hours ago, bl4 said:

Thanks, @VegasHockey & @Sniper9.

@Sniper9, I've only used SuperFeet, not speed plates, but I should check them out.  How have you found the Cat Pros in comparison to other skates when it comes to pronation?  I understand, of course, that there's no better way to figure out if skates work for you than by trying them.  But, the custom dynamic complicates matters.  And, I'm a bit wary because I felt like I was pronating more in the Cat9s than I was used to in other skates.

My pronation isn't that bad as I've done exercises etc to correct it as best as I can for the most part and I always use the speed plates so it's hard to say. There is no skate out there that will account for pronation so if that's what you're looking for in a skate, don't bother. Stiffness will help to a certain degree but it's not a fix. And all the mid to top tier skates out there now are pretty stiff. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 1:44 PM, VegasHockey said:

On 1/15/2023 at 4:23 PM, Sniper9 said:

Just to follow-up with this. 100% clear silicone worked perfect for adding grip to the insoles. I used GE brand specifically for bath and tub if it makes any diff. I find there is a difference in quality between brands even if they are all 100% silicone. 

d28DaFq.jpeg

Do these both dry pretty flat/smooth? I wear thin socks, so I would hate if I could feel the texture of the dried glue through the socks....

Separate question:

Does anyone know what the stock profile of the Shift steel is? It's much flatter than my Step (original Step, before CCM acquisition). I thought Step had a 10' profile (although I have been told it was 9'.......) I really like the flatter part for the back part of the blade, but it feels wrong on the front. I'm trying to figure out what I should have my steel profiled to. My steel is 237mm, if that makes a difference.

52 minutes ago, Torikkun said:

Do these both dry pretty flat/smooth? I wear thin socks, so I would hate if I could feel the texture of the dried glue through the socks....

Separate question:

Does anyone know what the stock profile of the Shift steel is? It's much flatter than my Step (original Step, before CCM acquisition). I thought Step had a 10' profile (although I have been told it was 9'.......) I really like the flatter part for the back part of the blade, but it feels wrong on the front. I'm trying to figure out what I should have my steel profiled to. My steel is 237mm, if that makes a difference.

Yes it's silicone is pretty flat but it depends how thick you layer it. 

It's funny you bring up the steel question. I had my shift dlc and step/jrz profiled out of box to quad zero and I noticed the jrz made me feel just a touch more on my toes vs the shift dlc which made me feel more centered. I like being on my toes a bit more but I thought that the jrz basically had a neutral pitch and 10' radius. I thought I read somewhere that the shift was also shorter on the front and higher in the heel portion of the steel making it a bit more forward pitched.  But my experience seems to contradict this. Step/jrz is 10' out of box that I know. Shift max dlc is supposedly a dual 9/10 radius. 

I always assumed that any steel no matter what their current pitch and profile was, if profiled to say a quad zero would be a quad zero across the board. But apparently the pitch of the steel has to be set prior to the profile. Ie if you are used to a quad zero with neutral pitch and get steel that has a forward pitch, you'd need to set a neutral pitch and then profile it to a quad zero for it to match. Someone correct me if I'm wrong as this was what my uncle who is a skate tech told me. Doesn't really make sense to me as I thought the prosharp profiles are all just templates and profiling should replicate the steel shape to the template regardless of the pitch.  

Forget if this was asked in this thread before… do cat pros and cat 9s weigh the same? The carbon on the cat 9s is apparently much thinner than the TF line. Just wondering if the Pros are the same way 

On 3/3/2023 at 7:31 PM, Westside said:

Forget if this was asked in this thread before… do cat pros and cat 9s weigh the same? The carbon on the cat 9s is apparently much thinner than the TF line. Just wondering if the Pros are the same way 

Cat pros probably will end up weighing more only bc of added foam. The cf shells are identical. 

Thought that was the case. Thanks for clarifying. Cracked the heel on my TFs and have already seen examples of cat 9 heels cracking 

Edited by Westside

7 hours ago, Westside said:

Thought that was the case. Thanks for clarifying. Cracked the heel on my TFs and have already seen examples of cat 9 heels cracking 

I've had mine for 2 months and so far no cracking but you never know.  I'm going to definitely keep an eye on mine. Even the tf pro customs which were manufactured differently had some cases of the cf at the heel breaking down. 

Random question for True custom skate experts… do they consider E and EE the same/interchangeable? Or do they actually make a wide and wider boot? Suppose this would apply mostly to Cat Pros vs SVH customs

1 hour ago, Westside said:

Random question for True custom skate experts… do they consider E and EE the same/interchangeable? Or do they actually make a wide and wider boot? Suppose this would apply mostly to Cat Pros vs SVH customs

For custom skates? There is no D/E/EE, the skate is built to the width needed.