Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Why don't we resume talking about the skates themselves. You guys should PM your science projects :facepalm:

Edited by jlp15
  • Like 4

Hi,

Aireaye, regarding educating customers, we will be putting a specific educational website together this summer.

Smcgreg, your correct we can’t give specific/concrete timelines on a retail launch of the standard sized boot at this time, but we are aiming for Christmas 2013. If you are interested in the product check back to the website in the next month or two for more info.

Jazzyjoey and shooter27, good debate on the effect of weight on skating performance. You guys brought up the two main factors that I was considering: skating is biomechanically different than running in that skating is a glide push motion (you’re pushing as your moving), therefore maximum velocity is more dependent on push force than it is on how quickly the leg can be returned. Conversely, with running the foot makes stationary contact with the ground and therefore maximum running velocity is very dependent on how quickly the foot can be accelerated and then decelerated back into position for the next stride. Therefore, a small change in the weight of your running shoes would have a larger impact on your metabolic energy use than with your skates. If you break skating down to a very simple model : Force=mass x acceleration, assuming the push force doesn’t change, a .095% reduction in weight will increase acceleration by .095%. For sure the real world isn’t this simple, but it puts it in perspective. I wrote my paper over 12 years ago and have had no luck finding it. I know thermablade also wrote a paper on the effect skate mass has on performance, but I’m also having no luck finding that. Sorry for the lack of substantive back up….

• Like 2

Skating and running are very different movements. Lighter footware would have a greater effect on running vs skating.

Each foot spends more time in contact with the surface during a stride with a skate vs a running stride.

A 100 gram increase in sneaker weight is a much greater % increase of the total footwear weight vs skates.

There's no gliding when you're jogging or running, you're constantly lifting and moving the shoe while you're in motion.

I don't want to distract the thread anymore. If you want to start a separate thread, we can discuss this. I have already provided the basic tenets of my point that are relevant, though.

Jazzyjoey and shooter27, good debate on the effect of weight on skating performance. You guys brought up the two main factors that I was considering: skating is biomechanically different than running in that skating is a glide push motion (you’re pushing as your moving), therefore maximum velocity is more dependent on push force than it is on how quickly the leg can be returned. Conversely, with running the foot makes stationary contact with the ground and therefore maximum running velocity is very dependent on how quickly the foot can be accelerated and then decelerated back into position for the next stride. Therefore, a small change in the weight of your running shoes would have a larger impact on your metabolic energy use than with your skates. If you break skating down to a very simple model : Force=mass x acceleration, assuming the push force doesn’t change, a .095% reduction in weight will increase acceleration by .095%. For sure the real world isn’t this simple, but it puts it in perspective. I wrote my paper over 12 years ago and have had no luck finding it. I know thermablade also wrote a paper on the effect skate mass has on performance, but I’m also having no luck finding that. Sorry for the lack of substantive back up….

VH, thanks for chiming in. As I said in a previous response, I don't want to distract too much from this thread. I will likely end up modeling this and doing a peer review paper on it at some point since I think there are a lot of confounding factors and this has become an increasing area of interest to me. I appreciate your time and responses though, so, since neither of us has any concrete data to provide, I won't belabor it anymore here.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by smcgreg

Seems they're taking the exact same path as MLX did.

Wonder if they're hoping for the same situation and a competitor buys them up to compete with the Mako.

Wonder if they're hoping for the same situation and a competitor buys them up to compete with the Mako.

Is it though? It seems like a branch to grow off their original business, speed skate boots. That it's a branch under the VH umbrella makes it different in my mind.

Nightmare.

Yes it's the same path. The MLX had roots in Speed Skating as well. They got 1 or 2 initial skaters in the boot, then Hiller jumped on the goalie bandwagon for their initial splash. VH is doing the exact same thing. Next thing we know they'll be offering Straight to Customer pre-orders for their prototypes.

It's just different in my mind that MLX wasn't an existing brand, it was rather like a petri dish. This just seems like a boot maker spotting opportunity to grow. I can't imagine wanting to sell VH, speed skate and cycle boot manufacturing and all.

Edited by flip12

It's just different in my mind that MLX wasn't an existing brand, it was rather like a petri dish. This just seems like a boot maker spotting opportunity to grow. I can't imagine wanting to sell VH, speed skate and cycle boot manufacturing and all.

That may be true, but its always possible to sell off one product line/division/subsidiary and leave the rest of the business in tact. Not saying I think that's the path they're following, just that if they were to sell the skate business, they wouldn't have to sell the speed skate and cycling boot businesses at the same time or to the same buyer, or at all for that matter.

Edited by shooter27

True. I guess keeping it under the same name, VH, gives me the impression that "this time, it's different." It's all pure conjecture. I'm afraid I'm pulling things off topic though, feels like suddenly we're digging around in the rough for perspectives on branding rather than the skates.

i've had or demo'd probably 10 different skates in the last 2 years.... unless the apx2 can fit my 907 instep with s17 ankle lock i can't wait for christmas 2013, keep up the great work guys!

Imagine bauer did?

Nah

Scott emailed me yesterday morning with some info. Do note the skate is an earlier revision and isn't complete yet.

vhfootwear.jpg

very good read, thank you JR for posting this

Yes it's the same path. The MLX had roots in Speed Skating as well. They got 1 or 2 initial skaters in the boot, then Hiller jumped on the goalie bandwagon for their initial splash. VH is doing the exact same thing. Next thing we know they'll be offering Straight to Customer pre-orders for their prototypes.

Well scott worked with MLX so i think the roots would be there

VH Footwear updated their website and added a section for hockey. Looks like they're ready to accept custom orders. I expected a more high-tech process but it appears they'll do with just foot tracing.

I just got my custom pair on Friday and my game is tomorrow night. I'll post pics and my initial thoughts on them tomorrow or Thursday the latest. So far they fit like nothing I've ever tried best wrap and comfort. Looking forward to skating in them tomorrow. I want to also thank Scott van horn for doing such a great job on these skates and a true pleasure to work with.

• Like 2

Here are the some of the pics from my Custom VH hockey boot. I skated yesterday and the were super responsive and supportive. I had been using Easton's Mako skate prior to the VH hockey boot and the wrap and fit is amazing. I'll fill you in on some more of my impression soon.

20130616_214813_zps204bcb1c.jpg20130616_214807_zps5df9923d.jpg